Adams won't play on tag.....****...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
That is the crucial part of what I said.
If he’s expecting a Million Dollars a year for every year he is old? It doesn’t work that way Davante.

Another thing I was going to mention is that if it weren’t for the weird “big brother” alliance he’s made with Rodgers there’s options. I fully realize we will appease him and overpay him $50 million or so (I’m being facetious but also possibly not!)

Without all the drama? I’d take his likely $27.5M+ request and go out and sign the best 2-3 Free Agents WR-TE group before doing that. I don’t like putting all my eggs in 1 basket. Not even on Easter and especially not on eggs closing in on expiration dates.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not overreacting. I'm saying what I would do if in Gute's shoes and ONLY IF I felt there was a real chance of hitting 2022 without Adams playing but with Adams on the team. I'm not doing that, I'm not risking that with Rodgers as my QB and so much invested in pushing money for a 2022 run.

You need to understand that aside of sitting out Adams doesn't have any leverage. And if he's sitting out he will be back with the Packers under the tag in 2023. While he might not like the team putting the tag on him they will either agree on a long-term deal before July 15th or he will play in 2022 under it.

There's no need to panic and trade him because of it.

However, just factually, everything I've read said the Pack can't trade Adams. Can they?

Yes you can...however there would be a very tight window of course now for it not to need to be covered on our 2022 books (his cap cost for the tag that is)...and is just tough to pull off due to compensation back also....

@captainWIMM would be best to explain timings and such on the forum for sure on details.

this article does okay at explaining tag types and such https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...es-values-rules-2022/zl129ixw0r3zlvglaiasuggp

I believe you are correct as he would have to first sign the franchise tag. It is likely that a trade would have to be worked out & that team come to terms with Davante before he would sign the tag.

As far as I understand it a team can't trade a player who hasn't signed his franchise tender. Adams could negotiate a deal with another team forcing the Packers to either match it or let him walk away for two first round picks though.

LOL Folks also need to not assume anyone is "flipping out" or "opposite of chilling" over this. I'm not worried about it that much at this point. More true details from either side will no doubt come at some point and we will learn if there is any meat on this bone.

If you sound that anxious when you're not worried at all I don't want to see you being concerned about something ;)

Paying a guy that tag price that isn't on the field would be far worse IMO. I don't think that happens so neither of us have to worry about that.

The Packers wouldn't need to pay Adams as long as he doesn't show up to play.

Just my point of view...aaron needs to structure the contract so that the Packers can pay Adams.

It's all but guaranteed Rodgers' contract will save the Packers $20 million of cap space for this season. The team would actually benefit by signing Adams to a long-term deal as well, reducing his cap hit for 2022.

So now the Packers wait on Davante and if people don't think that is that big of a deal, it actually is. Due to Rodgers saying "yes" to staying, it appears that the moves Gute is now making, are ones that put the Packers all in for a run at a Super Bowl. How is that run going to go without Davante? Meanwhile, the Packers decisions on players will kick in some of the roster bonuses when the new league year starts.

Sure, the Packers and Davante have plenty of time to figure things out, but the Packers are totally up against it, if they go into Free Agency thinking Davante will eventually cave and he doesn't. Much like waiting on Rodgers Decision, the Packers are letting 1 player influence their moves with the roster.

As I mentioned repeatedly, Adams' contract has by far a larger impact on what the Packers will be able to do in free agency than Rodgers' deal.

The one thing I know given what appears from all the pieces, posts and interviews with Davante - if this is true and such, I guarantee he hates having to do this. Adams from all accounts has appeared a high high character individual and this is just one of those things that sucks, making life difficult for folks you have a relationship with of any level hits high character guys in the gut. It may not of course change decisions, but I cannot imagine the struggle internally this will cause Davante if it does get ugly.

I'm sorry, but a high character guy wouldn't threaten to sit out when not being paid more than $20 million.

I think the writing was on the wall a long time ago for this. I would have to go back and look for quotes, but Davante stated during the season that he should be the highest paid WR in the NFL. I also don't think the Packers put the tag on him, to actually have him play under it. The tag gives the Packers 2 outs, sign him to a new deal or trade him. IF #2 is a possibility, Rodgers might decide to wait it out before signing. Then the Packers are in a world of hurt with the Cap numbers of Rodgers current contract.

Let's be realistic. Rodgers has not signed his contract and that gives Adams leverage because #12 may be waiting until his buddy his signed and happy.

There's no way the Packers can enter the new league year without restructuring Rodgers' contract first. As I have stated repeatedly, R-E-L-A-X, that will be taken care before 4pm tomorrow.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but a high character guy wouldn't threaten to sit out when not being paid more than $20 million.

I never understand this kind of comment. Yes, professional athletes make a TON of money. That's no reason to take a below-market deal from your boss. Billionaires have created a system where guys making hundreds of times less really only have one option to make their worth and when a guy uses that option it sucks for fans but I will always side for the employee over the billionaire who is trying to make a few extra million at the expense of an employee.

Pro athletes aren't paid like average people and fans shouldn't just pretend all players should be happy with their money so the billionaires can save a few million. Personally I think high character guys stand up for what's right against those in power trying to use that power to take money from those lower on the food chain.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never understand this kind of comment. Yes, professional athletes make a TON of money. That's no reason to take a below-market deal from your boss. Billionaires have created a system where guys making hundreds of times less really only have one option to make their worth and when a guy uses that option it sucks for fans but I will always side for the employee over the billionaire who is trying to make a few extra million at the expense of an employee.

Pro athletes aren't paid like average people and fans shouldn't just pretend all players should be happy with their money so the billionaires can save a few million. Personally I think high character guys stand up for what's right against those in power trying to use that power to take money from those lower on the food chain.
I always love it when people try to equate grown men playing a game for millions of dollars with a labor/ management situation. Ultimately they make those millions of dollars because the fans want to see them. The fact that the players and you forget that we are actually the ones paying that money is comical. I couldn’t care less how many billions the owners have…. If the players don’t want to play … we as fans have a right not to want to continue watching them.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always love it when people trying to equate grown men playing a game for millions of dollars with a labor/ management situation. Ultimately they make those millions of dollars because the fans want to see them. The fact that the players and you forget that we are actually the ones paying that money is comical. I couldn’t care less how many billions the owners have…. If the players don’t want to play … we as fans have a right not to want to continue watching them.

Then don't, but something tells me that it's an empty threat (like all of these end up being). I will generally root for the guy GETTING the check over the guy SIGNING the check.

Edit: on second-thought, that was a little harsh. If you have the wherewithal to avoid watching a Super Bowl contending Packers team over a player making an extra $3-$5 million per season then I have to applaud your moral fiber.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't always sign with one guy over the other when it comes to player or team. Sometimes one is "right" or "wrong" and any variation of percentages in between. Anyway, the salary cap dictates how much is spent as agreed upon by players union and owners. How much anyone player gets is up for negotiation, but it doesn't always mean some more money in an owners pocket, but sometimes it does I guess.

But we also have to remember, the NFL wasn't always on solid ground like they are now. Yeah owners have been rich, but they also took on a lot of risk in the beginning and through a lot of it and built it into this, along with the players. It's never been a one way street. Owners have nothing without players and the players didn't build the system. They didn't build the tv contracts. They didn't negotiate stadiums. They didn't hire the coaches or train themselves or create the opportunities they have right now to make all this money either.

They both rely on each other. Owners being penny pinchers are going to have consequences from that, same as players who want to squeeze every last dime out of someone. There's always room for compromise and it's best for everyone in this case.

Reaction score

The old Billionaire's are against the poor guy mantra. I don't buy that senseless propaganda that these guys are starving and being "held down".
I think some players are a bunch of spoiled brats. They are simply trying to pinch every last darn penny to keep their team afloat.. That "victim" argument isn't true at all and especially at the NFL salary level, but it makes for good political propaganda to trick the masses. These guys like Adams rake it in big tim$
btw... if you work for a company that is owned by a wealthy person? you are fully complicit in the very thing you are demonizing. Also us fans we are not excluded. NFL teams spend every last penny of that cap eventually. You make it sound like the Packer stockholder are embezzling cap and using it by filling up their Yachts with fuel that should've been Davante's money :roflmao:

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree with most of your post. I'll just toss out there that the NFL does have a minimum cap as well, because there are a few owners that spend well under the cap to save money.
Teams like the Jaguars, don't always fill their seats either. Their average attendance is well below capacity. Not to mention that their capacity of 67,814 is far below that of a stadium like Lambeau. So I can see why a team like that doesn't always want to spend the total cap.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I don't profess to know everybody in the league, but each Sunday I do watch the NFL recap shows to see all of the other games. For the life of me, I don't ever remember hearing this guy's name and now all of sudden he is being paid top money. I understand that the internet thinks that he is overpaid, but he seems to have come out of nowhere....I guess that Jacksonville is nowhere but really?

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Get read of Adam's. I see all j need to see from him.

He doesn't care about the fans, which is the only reason he is making millions per year and not working for $1000 or so per week like the rest of us.

He doesn't care about the team or making to a Superbawl clearly.
All this greedy b... cares about is $$$

Personally I don't want players like that on my team. Even if it means not winning. F.. him let him go and draft couple of receivers instead.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers structure and essentially $75M hit in 2024 no doubt has Russ Ball contorting his fiscal pen in ways he doesn't want to or has done prior when discussing with Gute futures of like Jaire, Jenkins, Gary and others....all on the horizon...

Reaction score
I agree with most of your post. I'll just toss out there that the NFL does have a minimum cap as well, because there are a few owners that spend well under the cap to save money.
Ok. But that doesn't help their long term objective. Winning is the ultimate objective because its proven to draw a larger fan base.

btw, we all know there is a 95% chance the Packers understand he wants to be paid. They would've likely worked out another contract anyway. It's called dirty pool. I get it we all have some greed, but pride often gets in the way of doing the right thing

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't profess to know everybody in the league, but each Sunday I do watch the NFL recap shows to see all of the other games. For the life of me, I don't ever remember hearing this guy's name and now all of sudden he is being paid top money. I understand that the internet thinks that he is overpaid, but he seems to have come out of nowhere....I guess that Jacksonville is nowhere but really?
Leave it to the Jags to overpay. In 4 years Kirk hasn't broken the 1000 yard mark or scored over 6 TD's. Maybe they think he is a breakout star waiting to happen, that was overshadowed by Fitzgerald and Hopkins. Teams doing this end up burning themselves, but they also unfortunately tend to inflate the market at the position.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Get read of Adam's. I see all j need to see from him.

He doesn't care about the fans, which is the only reason he is making millions per year and not working for $1000 or so per week like the rest of us.

He doesn't care about the team or making to a Superbawl clearly.
All this greedy b... cares about is $$$

Personally I don't want players like that on my team. Even if it means not winning. F.. him let him go and draft couple of receivers instead.
While I understand your anger and disgust, seems like you are overreacting just a tad to one player. Adams is arguably the best or at least top 5 WR in the NFL. Sure, I would love to have $19M to play football, but if you compare his salary to the rest of us Joe's, than you better do that for the whole team and the NFL. I don't blame Davante for wanting what he is worth in the NFL market.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always love it when people trying to equate grown men playing a game for millions of dollars with a labor/ management situation. Ultimately they make those millions of dollars because the fans want to see them. The fact that the players and you forget that we are actually the ones paying that money is comical. I couldn’t care less how many billions the owners have…. If the players don’t want to play … we as fans have a right not to want to continue watching them.
Everybody says that but no one does it.

The thing is Professional athletes generate their own income. Yes we pay their salaries but we pay to watch them.

Comparing athletes salaries to other people (firemen, policemen, soldiers, teachers etc) is pointless because no one pays to watch those people perform. Get a half a million people to shell out 100 bucks a week to watch some poor teacher trying teach your little booger flicker to count to 10 and their salaries will go up too.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The old Billionaire's are against the poor guy mantra. I don't buy that senseless propaganda that these guys are starving and being "held down".
I think some players are a bunch of spoiled brats. They are simply trying to pinch every last darn penny to keep their team afloat.. That "victim" argument isn't true at all and especially at the NFL salary level, but it makes for good political propaganda to trick the masses. These guys like Adams rake it in big tim$
btw... if you work for a company that is owned by a wealthy person? you are fully complicit in the very thing you are demonizing. Also us fans we are not excluded. NFL teams spend every last penny of that cap eventually. You make it sound like the Packer stockholder are embezzling cap and using it by filling up their Yachts with fuel that should've been Davante's money :roflmao:

Sports...the only place you see regular folks rooting FOR the welfare billionaires. Just saw that the owner of the Bills is getting a brand-new $1.4 billion stadium that the people of Buffalo are paying 70% for...but please, tell me more about Davante Adams needs to give up $5 million while it's common practice for sports owners to get the biggest welfare checks in the country (Bills owners just got $1 billion ).

Note, I realize the Packers don't have an owner, but since they're involved in an industry in which they are the ONLY team without a billionaire owner, and the league is run by billionaire owners, I feel perfectly comfortable pointing out that it's pretty obvious to anyone that the owner's only real interest is in getting as much money as they can from tv deals and cities and ensuring as little money as possible goes to the players.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sports...the only place you see regular folks rooting FOR the welfare billionaires. Just saw that the owner of the Bills is getting a brand-new $1.4 billion stadium that the people of Buffalo are paying 70% for...but please, tell me more about Davante Adams needs to give up $5 million while it's common practice for sports owners to get the biggest welfare checks in the country (Bills owners just got $1 billion ).

Note, I realize the Packers don't have an owner, but since they're involved in an industry in which they are the ONLY team without a billionaire owner, and the league is run by billionaire owners, I feel perfectly comfortable pointing out that it's pretty obvious to anyone that the owner's only real interest is in getting as much money as they can from tv deals and cities and ensuring as little money as possible goes to the players.
Do you by any chance buy from Amazon? If you do, what are your thoughts about Jeff Bezos's income VS his employees?

Your "argument" is that because the money is there, it should be more evenly distributed to the worker bees. That isn't how businesses work.

The NFL would exist without every player that is currently playing in it. I don't think you can say the same about where it would be at, if the employees were running the business and the 31 owners didn't invest in their team.

Would I be happier if the Players were being paid like the rest of us and the owners made a tenth of what they make? Sure, but the money keeps going up....because people like us, keep contributing to it. If we all shut our TV's off, stop buying tickets and merchandise, than you will see those numbers drop.

The collective heads of the NFL have been very smart over the years. They have created a product that everyone seems to want and is willing to pay for it. They have an unbelievable training system that costs them nothing (NCAA Football) and the ability to charge pretty much what they want for their product. Basically, they are an unregulated monopoly and the only real regulations that they face are the ones they self impose for their members.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everybody says that but no one does it.

The thing is Professional athletes generate their own income. Yes we pay their salaries but we pay to watch them.

Comparing athletes salaries to other people (firemen, policemen, soldiers, teachers etc) is pointless because no one pays to watch those people perform. Get a half a million people to shell out 100 bucks a week to watch some poor teacher trying teach your little booger flicker to count to 10 and their salaries will go up too.
I agree completely. My only real point is that this is not a case of the underprivileged worker fighting against the corporate machine as some seem to be suggesting.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I understand your anger and disgust, seems like you are overreacting just a tad to one player. Adams is arguably the best or at least top 5 WR in the NFL. Sure, I would love to have $19M to play football, but if you compare his salary to the rest of us Joe's, than you better do that for the whole team and the NFL. I don't blame Davante for wanting what he is worth in the NFL market.
I'm sure he could get by on 21-22 mil per year and show the fans that he appreciates us and that he understands that for not asking for 25-27-30 per year whatever he is asking for he is helping the organization put together a better team that will have a greater chance for success.

This guy's throw and catch pigskin around not save life's by performing organ transplants. By asking for raduculouse amounts of money that ate hurting our overall team quality and our chances to win and by proxy crapping all over us the fans.

Like I said. Let him go. You may want him.on the team. I no longer do.
And if Rodgers doesn't like it he can go with him.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure he could get by on 21-22 mil per year and show the fans that he appreciates us and that he understands that for not asking for 25-27-30 per year whatever he is asking for he is helping the organization put together a better team that will have a greater chance for success.

This guy's throw and catch pigskin around not save life's by performing organ transplants. By asking for raduculouse amounts of money that ate hurting our overall team quality and our chances to win and by proxy crapping all over us the fans.

Like I said. Let him go. You may want him.on the team. I no longer do.
And if Rodgers doesn't like it he can go with him.

If this is the measuring stick to justify NFL contracts, not a single NFL player should be paid what they are and the league should fold.

As a matter of fact I can speak for this fan, Adams doing this doesn't change anything for me - I'm still a Packer fan through and through and nothing is going to change that. Don't feel crapped on by him honestly at all. Rodgers is the only one that is truly crippling the future at the cost of the present - if anyone wants to get pissy with a specific player for their decisions and such he is the only one on our roster I feel deserves it....and even then it is limited in how much at that I admit despite my own dislike for it.

Reaction score

You watch too much CSNBC @Sunshinepacker .. that's what all that sounds like if you truly think the owners of the Packers have some interest in skimming money from Adams personal contract for some personal gain. I realize we all have a little conspiracy theorist.. but who owns the Green Bay Packers?
Give us the names of those responsible?

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You watch too much CSNBC @Sunshinepacker .. that's what all that sounds like if you truly think the owners of the Packers have some interest in skimming money from Adams personal contract for some personal gain. I realize we all have a little conspiracy theorist.. but who owns the Green Bay Packers?
Give us the names of those responsible?

The NFL owns the Packers and the NFL is run by the owners in the league. It's fine, i get it. Fans want their team to be the best and that means that players need to sacrifice their paychecks because there is a salary cap. Obviously every team gets something when they skim from a player's contract, CAP SAVINGS! Gute's job gets much easier when players take less. I just like when people get the money they deserve; which I have to admit comes from what other billionaire owners in the league are willing to pay (except for the Jags owner...that guy is trying to give his money away).

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you by any chance buy from Amazon? If you do, what are your thoughts about Jeff Bezos's income VS his employees?

Your "argument" is that because the money is there, it should be more evenly distributed to the worker bees. That isn't how businesses work.

The NFL would exist without every player that is currently playing in it. I don't think you can say the same about where it would be at, if the employees were running the business and the 31 owners didn't invest in their team.

Would I be happier if the Players were being paid like the rest of us and the owners made a tenth of what they make? Sure, but the money keeps going up....because people like us, keep contributing to it. If we all shut our TV's off, stop buying tickets and merchandise, than you will see those numbers drop.

The collective heads of the NFL have been very smart over the years. They have created a product that everyone seems to want and is willing to pay for it. They have an unbelievable training system that costs them nothing (NCAA Football) and the ability to charge pretty much what they want for their product. Basically, they are an unregulated monopoly and the only real regulations that they face are the ones they self impose for their members.

Evenly distributing money to the worker bees would make sense if I said EVERY player should be getting a raise. I just said that players' should get every dime they can. I personally think that unregulated monopolies are TERRIBLE for customers and employees (btw, history totally backs me up on this). The NFL would NOT exist without every current player (gonna be exciting to see how long the new USFL lasts). I also don't understand this weird idea that the owners of the NFL are some kind of marketing geniuses and nobody else would be able to do what they have done. There are probably a couple of really good owners in the NFL but most of the owners aren't geniuses at owning teams or marketing (how many times has Jeff Fisher been hired again?). People seem to think money=intelligence but after you meet enough people with money you start to realize they're really not that smart at a whole lot of stuff (just some pretty specific things that don't bleed into much else).

Fans' arguments tend to be anti-labor, pro-ownership which is totally understandable because fans love their teams, and players taking less money means the GM's jobs are much easier. Gute makes a pretty good living while not getting into the equivalent of 2-3 car crashes every week. I'm okay with him having to earn his contract while paying great players the contract they deserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts