2023 UDFA Tracker

D

Deleted member 6794

Breakdown his pressures per snap - he was one of the most disruptive in hurries and such that year in Georgia. Again, Cox is just as likely to not get himself in check and never be on an active roster as he is to be a starter within three years IMO. He truly is the definition of a mental coin flip.

Actually I took a look at Cox's production on a per snap basis. According to PFF's pass rush productivity he ranked 128th out of the 300 edge rushers with the most pass rushing snaps in 2022, 120th in '21, 73rd in '20 and 182nd out of 350 in '18.

He excelled at run defense, which the Packers need and has all the tools to become a good pass rusher.

Cox had one good season in creating stops (a tackle that constitutes a failure for the offense) in the run game in 2021 and had a very low average depth of tackle in 2020 and '21 but other than that was average in defending the run as well.

I mean just look at the playing time he got EARLY in Georgia…now look at that Georgia roster….that alone screams hold up….

While the Georgia defense was pretty good in 2018 they weren't nearly as dominant as the following season. In addition Cox only played 277 snaps in 13 games and the Bulldogs didn't have a lot of NFL ready talent at edge rusher anyway.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure why people were angry or surprised that Favre ended up with the Vikings. Ultra competitor, that wanted to beat his old team and get to another Super Bowl. Wouldn't shock me or irritate me one bit, if Rodgers somehow took the same path.
I clearly have a different viewpoint of both of our neighboring rivals than you.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I clearly have a different viewpoint of both of our neighboring rivals than you.
I probably dislike them as much as you, but were you angry at Favre, the Vikings, the Jets or how things turned out? Like I said, Favre had an opportunity to guarantee himself 2 games against a team that had cast him off, I would have been shocked if he turned down the Viking offer. Expecting Rodgers to pass up the same opportunity, if it arises? I wouldn't hold your breath.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I probably dislike them as much as you, but were you angry at Favre, the Vikings, the Jets or how things turned out? Like I said, Favre had an opportunity to guarantee himself 2 games against a team that had cast him off, I would have been shocked if he turned down the Viking offer. Expecting Rodgers to pass up the same opportunity, if it arises? I wouldn't hold your breath.
Rodgers is concerned about his legacy. He saw first hand how that ended with Favre. He will not go to a rival and taint that at all.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Rodgers is concerned about his legacy. He saw first hand how that ended with Favre. He will not go to a rival and taint that at all.

Rodgers didn't seem to learn from Favre on being wishy washy about continuing to play football. Favre never waivered on whether it would be with the Packers though. Can't say the same about Aaron. I still think if the Jets decided to trade him (or cut him), his eyes would light up if it was to a SB contending team and that team was in the NFC North. Again, I wouldn't blame him at all, like Favre, an ultimate competitive guy.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers didn't seem to learn from Favre on being wishy washy about continuing to play football. Favre never waivered on whether it would be with the Packers though. Can't say the same about Aaron. I still think if the Jets decided to trade him (or cut him), his eyes would light up if it was to a SB contending team and that team was in the NFC North. Again, I wouldn't blame him at all, like Favre, an ultimate competitive guy.

I've viewed the Rodgers/Farve situations very different. The difference with Rodgers is he was ALWAYS all-in with the Packers until the Love pick, where he then deemed the Packers weren't all-in on him. Farve was threatening retirement for some time.

D

Deleted member 6794

Favre had to retire for the second time after his only season with the Jets to force his way to the Vikings. I don't expect Rodgers to do something similar.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I've viewed the Rodgers/Farve situations very different. The difference with Rodgers is he was ALWAYS all-in with the Packers until the Love pick, where he then deemed the Packers weren't all-in on him. Farve was threatening retirement for some time.
I don't 100% disagree with that, but in the end, I believe it still puts the ex-Packer Rodgers into the same mindset. We could debate what the Love pick did and didn't do as well as what it should have and shouldn't of done, but that has already been hammered hard enough, in just about every thread.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Rodgers was all in until the Love pick? They got the #1 seed two season in a row. He was all in after the Love pick as well.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers was all in until the Love pick? They got the #1 seed two season in a row. He was all in after the Love pick as well.
As far as actually playing for the Packers. After the Love pick is when he started to flake whether he actually wanted to stay in GB. That is a separate issue as his play on the field was still MVP caliber.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I was angry with Favre. Not with either team.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as actually playing for the Packers. After the Love pick is when he started to flake whether he actually wanted to stay in GB. That is a separate issue as his play on the field was still MVP caliber.

He for sure started hesitating then, and rightly so - business and nature of the process when a team drafts a first rounder at your position.

Jones would have done the same thing if GB went after a first round RB…Bakh would have done the same thing had we drafted a surefire LT this year. Nature of it

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Brenton Cox Jr. I do see areas that he can work on. At his size (I think he's like 6-3 235) he needs to develop a speed rush. I think he's a younger Preston Smith. I saw a lot of cleanup sacks in the highlight package posted here. The dude is great in space.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I like Brenton Cox Jr. I do see areas that he can work on. At his size (I think he's like 6-3 235) he needs to develop a speed rush. I think he's a younger Preston Smith. I saw a lot of cleanup sacks in the highlight package posted here. The dude is great in space.
As far as this years crop of UDFA's, he is the one I am most excited about.

I am really hoping that his past is behind him and he sees this as an opportunity of a lifetime. If he focuses on listening to the coaches and let his play do the talking, this guy could be really good. I am still shocked that he went undrafted and the Packers got him as an UDFA.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as this years crop of UDFA's, he is the one I am most excited about.

I am really hoping that his past is behind him and he sees this as an opportunity of a lifetime. If he focuses on listening to the coaches and let his play do the talking, this guy could be really good. I am still shocked that he went undrafted and the Packers got him as an UDFA.
I think to keep him he needs to make the 53. I think someone else will take the waiver wire risk if he shows anything in the PS.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think to keep him he needs to make the 53. I think someone else will take the waiver wire risk if he shows anything in the PS.
To be fair he has the only real chance outside of a WR truthfully it seems. Gary not being healthy to start the season would IMO mean he is here in GB for 2023, even if he stays on the PS after dropping to it after Gary is back. Seems Enagbare / Hollins are the traditional two OLBs and then LVN as well are ahead of him....but Cox is right there then it seems as the clear next.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree. Now the good news, the Packers have several months to see what his attitude is like and get a good look at him in Preseason. If he plays up to his current potential and no attitude issues, I actually think he makes the 53.

D

Deleted member 6794

To be fair he has the only real chance outside of a WR truthfully it seems. Gary not being healthy to start the season would IMO mean he is here in GB for 2023, even if he stays on the PS after dropping to it after Gary is back. Seems Enagbare / Hollins are the traditional two OLBs and then LVN as well are ahead of him....but Cox is right there then it seems as the clear next.

I think there's a chance of an UDFA making the roster at tight end and safety as well. Although at safety the Packers currently don't have a viable option on the roster.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there's a chance of an UDFA making the roster at tight end and safety as well. Although at safety the Packers currently don't have a viable option on the roster.

The FSU kid does have a chance to unseat Davis of the fourth TE option - he probably if I was betting would be third most likely behind Cox and Heath

D

Deleted member 6794

The FSU kid does have a chance to unseat Davis of the fourth TE option - he probably if I was betting would be third most likely behind Cox and Heath

Honestly I haven't followed reports from OTAs and minicamp closely at all, therefore it's possible Heath has performed pretty well without me noticing. I would be surprised if he makes the roster though.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Favre wanted to win and the Vikings wanted to win. Sticking it to GB was just a little sugar in the cup. And Favre knew that his chances of a SB were greater in Minnesota than with a Jet team that was in a division with Brady and Belichick.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I believe Favre wanted to win and the Vikings wanted to win. Sticking it to GB was just a little sugar in the cup. And Favre knew that his chances of a SB were greater in Minnesota than with a Jet team that was in a division with Brady and Belichick.

Most definitely Favre wanted to stick it to the Packers, what ultra competitor wouldn't want to do the same? Those Packer fans that were/are still offended by that, should prepare themselves. If Rodgers ever gets a chance to play the Packers, he will have that date circled, starred and highlighted. Just like I didn't dislike Favre for wanting to beat his old team, my opinion of #8 wouldn't change in the slightest if that happened.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't personally think Rodgers will have any vindictive or redemption type reasons for wanting to beat GB, it's more of a competitor or pride type thing merely wanting to say I still got it when they play their old teams. We've seen it in tons of players....Rice at Oakland when he got a chance against the Niners....Favre against the Packers....Emmitt vs DAL (injured that game)....Stafford vs Lions....Revis vs Jets....Jennings vs Packers.....

Its like when you cross paths with your ex years later (that broke it off with you), you could have ZERO desire or want to be with them anymore, you may even be very thankful for them and you having had the relationship you did HOWEVER you hope you look happy, in a better place and make them wish they'd not broken it off.

Members online

Latest posts