2023 UDFA Tracker

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I had to read up on it. What was going on back then? Then they traded Hadl and more draft picks for ****ey. What a mess that was. I remember ****ey. My Dad and uncles would start unzipping and zipping their pants yelling, "pull ****ey out". Fun times I guess.

Apparently, I'm not allowed to type Lynn's last name on here.

Reaction score
I had to read up on it. What was going on back then? Then they traded Hadl and more draft picks for ****ey. What a mess that was. I remember ****ey. My Dad and uncles would start unzipping and zipping their pants yelling, "pull ****ey out". Fun times I guess.

That’s funny.
I remember my Brother calling him Zipper. I thought it was because he had so many surgeries and he apparently had stitches everywhere. The “pull it out” is Another angle for sure maybe that’s where Brett Favre would later step in to help :coffee:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was a spectacular read. Thanks for posting. I experienced the 80's, but an too young to remember the 70's. I had not idea about Devine. Interesting that he brought up Rhodes as one of the worst coaches. I remember that season. Wonder what the story is there.
Lot of interesting opinions from former players and coaches. I believe it was just unfathomable that Ron Wolf could ever hire a head coach so incompetent. But that does not mean he was a bad DC. One of the 3 Packer regular season losses in 1997 ironically came at the hands of Ray Rhodes in Philly 10-9. As a head coach he was just so disorganized and disconnected. A lot like a Lion coach in the 60s named Harry Gilmer. Devine was an excellent college coach but very inflexible at the professional level. I can only speak what I heard players say in articles and books. The story went down in 1972 that Dave Hanner ran the defense, Bart Starr ran the offense, and Devine did nothing. The 1972 team was a pleasant surprise. Some players blamed him, however, for the playoff loss at Washington and the subsequent failures in 1973 and 1974. Lombardi was able to outcoach George Allen. Devine was not able to do that. We could go microscope his 3 years there but anyone playing in the shadow of Lombardi was a tall order to fill.
This was a spectacular read. Thanks for posting. I experienced the 80's, but an too young to remember the 70's. I had not idea about Devine. Interesting that he brought up Rhodes as one of the worst coaches. I remember that season. Wonder what the story is there.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There was the Hadl trade. Also moving Gale Gillingham from guard to defensive tackle. The merry go round with QBs Scott Hunter and Jerry Tagge, both of which got to start right after college without that 3 year tutorship that Rodgers and Love received. I will say this. The Packers drafted K Chester Marcol in the 2nd round in 1972. He became Rookie of the Year and had a good run in GB. The role of Coach-GM was not too uncommon then. We really needed a FT GM. Lombardi was authoritarian and a workaholic. We should not have tried to replicate him. In hindsight I wish the Packers had hired young Joe Paterno as Tony Canadeo lobbied.

Reaction score
There was the Hadl trade. Also moving Gale Gillingham from guard to defensive tackle. The merry go round with QBs Scott Hunter and Jerry Tagge, both of which got to start right after college without that 3 year tutorship that Rodgers and Love received. I will say this. The Packers drafted K Chester Marcol in the 2nd round in 1972. He became Rookie of the Year and had a good run in GB. The role of Coach-GM was not too uncommon then. We really needed a FT GM. Lombardi was authoritarian and a workaholic. We should not have tried to replicate him. In hindsight I wish the Packers had hired young Joe Paterno as Tony Canadeo lobbied.
That’s amazing that we drafted Chester that early. I’ll never forget the time he had a blocked Kick returned for a TD.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s amazing that we drafted Chester that early. I’ll never forget the time he had a blocked Kick returned for a TD.
Soccer style kickers were just beginning to come of age. The Gogolak Brothers showed success in the 1960s. When Chandler retired after 1967 our place kicking was terrible for 3 seasons. Chester was crucial in 2 late season games that gave us the division in December of 1972. He kicked 4 against Detroit and 3 in Minnesota when the Vikings still played outside.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heath is from all purposes nearly as athletic and productive as Mingo - a guy I was a massive fan of! I wouldn't be shocked one bit if Heath nabs a 5th or 6th WR spot and a 53 man spot....if he doesn't I could easily see us prioritize keeping him here on PS.
Heath has far exceeded my Day 3 prediction in the draft and battling for the 5th or 6th spot.

He is flat out clearly fighting to be our #4

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Heath has far exceeded my Day 3 prediction in the draft and battling for the 5th or 6th spot.

He is flat out clearly fighting to be our #4
Put him on the field with Wilson to play with the 1's vs Seattle Saturday. See if they are men against men or just dominate vs the jv squad. Also start Walker at RT with Tom a center while you're at it. Same reasoning.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Put him on the field with Wilson to play with the 1's vs Seattle Saturday. See if they are men against men or just dominate vs the jv squad. Also start Walker at RT with Tom a center while you're at it. Same reasoning.
While I like your idea, I would be surprised to see many starters playing on Saturday. First, most of them got decent game time in both of the preseason games played. Given that and wanting to keep starters healthy for opening day, I think MLF empties the bench on Saturday and many starters won't even be suited up. Also, the roster is still near 90 guys, so lots of depth positions to look at.

But yeah, I like to see that isolation of a new guy, playing with the starters, that you referred to. I think a bit of that was done last night.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't want to move Tom from R tackle. He is doing good there and there are plenty of great pass rushers from that side. I also can't see moving Walker around if he is going to do well at L tackle.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
While I like your idea, I would be surprised to see many starters playing on Saturday.
MLF has already stated JL10 can't get enough reps before the season. Some X statement.
I just don't want to move Tom from R tackle. He is doing good there and there are plenty of great pass rushers from that side. I also can't see moving Walker around if he is going to do well at L tackle.
If Walker does as decent at RT as he did at left, he may have passed Nijman. We know DB69 will start at LT. I want Meyer on the bench or trading block.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF has already stated JL10 can't get enough reps before the season. Some X statement.

If Walker does as decent at RT as he did at left, he may have passed Nijman. We know DB69 will start at LT. I want Meyer on the bench or trading block.
But if Walker can play on the left side; that would be nice for probably next year. Never really noticed him before but his size looks very good for over there on the left. And so with Tom on the right; we just need to get it right for the middle 3. If we do have it good for the outside two; leave it alone and work on the inside 3 imho. (assuming Walker can handle it :)) And I don't care what they do there. Nothing sacrosanct after figuring out the tackles. This "put your best 5 out there" is hogwash. It just is not that simple. I blame the coaches for putting tackles where they shouldn't have been in two big playoff losses. I don't trust them now to get it right. I see a lot of musical chairs, but we'll have to see.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
They are still working guys at different spots along the line so that they have known options when the need arises during the season. I think it's premature to count out Nijman at RT.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They are still working guys at different spots along the line so that they have known options when the need arises during the season. I think it's premature to count out Nijman at RT.
Agree.

I know fans can get impatient to watch this process, but I think it is a very beneficial one. The flexibility of having a handful of players that can play multiple positions on the OL, has been one of the keys to the Packers success. I don't remember a season when a starter or 2 or 3 on the OL missed games due to injuries. Having guys that can shuffle around mid-game or mid-season, is huge and now is the time to find out just what combinations work well.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Saw that yesterday. Kind of surprised, but it makes sense that they feel he needs more work. I still don't think it will be more than a series or 2.

I saw that Rodgers is even playing in the last Jets preseason game. Times are a changing!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Saw that yesterday. Kind of surprised, but it makes sense that they feel he needs more work. I still don't think it will be more than a series or 2.

I saw that Rodgers is even playing in the last Jets preseason game. Times are a changing!
There is the week off before the games start now. That two week wait is long.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
While I like your idea, I would be surprised to see many starters playing on Saturday. First, most of them got decent game time in both of the preseason games played. Given that and wanting to keep starters healthy for opening day, I think MLF empties the bench on Saturday and many starters won't even be suited up. Also, the roster is still near 90 guys, so lots of depth positions to look at.

But yeah, I like to see that isolation of a new guy, playing with the starters, that you referred to. I think a bit of that was done last night.
MLF said that Love is playing on Saturday. I'm guessing he will give him the starting offensive line for the time he is in to protect him. I'll be there, so it should be a fun preseason game. Kick off to the regular season. Let's go!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. It's time to light some fires under people. Let them know that there are guys out there knocking on the door, to take their jobs away. They might just find a couple of guys definitely worth keeping in the process.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing I'm not worrying about is if each player is giving his all. If they can't do that; ship em out. Unless their last name is Moss. Then he can take a play off now and then when he obviously is not in that play.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree. It's time to light some fires under people. Let them know that there are guys out there knocking on the door, to take their jobs away. They might just find a couple of guys definitely worth keeping in the process.
I have to wonder if Tom even wants to play center, at least long term. The average salaries for the OL from highest to lowest are:

LT...RT...LG...RG...C

Maybe as a team player he would be fine with the position, but from a salary standpoint, his goal for 2025 might be wanting to enter into his contract year as a highly valued NFL Tackle.

Whatever the case might be, Gute hit another HR with snagging Tom in the 4th round and whether he's playing RT or C, he is considered to be one of the top 5 OL players on the team. It will be up to Butkus and MLF to figure out at what position he will be playing, for now.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to wonder if Tom even wants to play center, at least long term. The average salaries for the OL from highest to lowest are:

LT...RT...LG...RG...C

Maybe as a team player he would be fine with the position, but from a salary standpoint, his goal for 2025 might be wanting to enter into his contract year as a highly valued NFL Tackle.

Whatever the case might be, Gute hit another HR with snagging Tom in the 4th round and whether he's playing RT or C, he is considered to be one of the top 5 OL players on the team. It will be up to Butkus and MLF to figure out at what position he will be playing, for now.
Gutey and Day 3 O-Lineman is like Ted was with Free Agency, and to me after 2008 FA is the one area Ted was great at.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Gutey and Day 3 O-Lineman is like Ted was with Free Agency, and to me after 2008 FA is the one area Ted was great at.
I don't know about that. Ted didn't do a lot of big FA signings. His 2 best IMO. were Woodson (2006) and Julius Peppers (2014). Pickett was probably his 3rd best and I think that was 2006. Maybe Guion can be considered a decent signing in 2014 as well.

Otherwise, TT kind of failed in the FA market. His last unrestricted free agent signing was in 2014, when he signed DL Anthony Hargrove to a big contract, that was a HUGE bust.

The rest of his signings are below and nothing gets me too excited and possibly all these whiffs was what kept TT from dipping too much into FA's:

- March 17, 2005 — OL Matt O’Dwyer, G Adrian Klemm
- April 15, 2005 — S Arturo Freeman, S Earl Little
- April 22, 2005 — LB Raynoch Thompson
- March 13, 2006 — S Marquand Manuel
- March 27, 2006 — LB Ben Taylor, WR Marc Boerigter, K Billy Cundiff
- April 26, 2006 — DT Kenderick Allen
- March 15, 2007 — CB Frank Walker
- March 24, 2008 — LB Brandon Chillar
- March 30, 2009 — OL Duke Preston, S Anthony Smith
- April 26, 2010 — S Charlie Peprah
- Aug. 3, 2011 — LB K.C. Asiodu
- March 23, 2012 — C Jeff Saturday, DL Daniel Muir
- May 23, 2012 — DE Phillip Merling
- April 9, 2013 — TE Matthew Mulligan

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chillar was good until he broke his wrist. Saturday I'm 50/50 on, had he made it through the whole season it would've been a great pickup.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Chillar was good until he broke his wrist. Saturday I'm 50/50 on, had he made it through the whole season it would've been a great pickup.

I had to read up a bit on Chillar. Yeah, he was ok when he first came to GB, but then when he signed his extension, he went downhill fast. I think they cut him 2 years into a 4 year extension. So maybe not a bad FA signing, but more of a guy they didn't get back what they put into him.

Saturday signed a 2 year deal and only played for 1 of them. Not sure what you mean by "had he made it through the whole season, it would've been a great pickup." He got benched, because he wasn't playing up to par. No doubt that Saturday was once a good player, but the Packers got him with very little left in his gas tank.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had to read up a bit on Chillar. Yeah, he was ok when he first came to GB, but then when he signed his extension, he went downhill fast. I think they cut him 2 years into a 4 year extension. So maybe not a bad FA signing, but more of a guy they didn't get back what they put into him.

Saturday signed a 2 year deal and only played for 1 of them. Not sure what you mean by "had he made it through the whole season, it would've been a great pickup." He got benched, because he wasn't playing up to par. No doubt that Saturday was once a good player, but the Packers got him with very little left in his gas tank.
I remember it being halfway through the season Saturday knew he didn't have it anymore and told the coaches, not him being benched.