2019 Week 10 vs. Carolina: Studs and Duds

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That seems like a lot of excuse making for a guy who gave up a lot of receptions.

If he has to allow everything to be completed in front of him so that he doesn't get burned, what does that tell you about him?

You're reading way too much into my statement. You could visibly see his footing was suffering. I'm not saying he's lighting the world unfire, but the dude had a good game in my opinion. Not skin off my back if you disagree, I feel both have ammo for the argument.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That seems like a lot of excuse making for a guy who gave up a lot of receptions.

If he has to allow everything to be completed in front of him so that he doesn't get burned, what does that tell you about him?
Not an excuse. It could be all about the scheme he is playing in and he is playing great.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams..Smith bros..

Dud MLF for run instead of fg

MLF made the right call. The pros of getting the TD far outweighed the cons of not getting a FG. Plus, it sent the message to his team that he believes in them. That's a morale boost and to the teams whether you get the TD or not.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, while watching it live, I literally said to a friend that I admired the call, but considered it a mistake... BEFORE the ball was snapped.

Here's the crux of the matter. If he would have opted for the FG, there would be any number of Monday morning QBs on here criticizing him for not having the guts to trust his team to get one yard. They'd be saying things like, "Williams is a beast in short yardage." or some crap. It's all just noise.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is MLF turning into MM 2.0? End of half playcall strikes me as exactly what MM would have called. He even blamed execution which is what MM always did. Punting on our final drive also seemed MM-esque.

It WAS execution. Did you not see that nobody bothered to block McCoy? I don't know what the hell Jenkins was doing on that play.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other hand, not far from where I used to live outside Chicago there was civilian jump operation. Somebody would get killed there every year. Then the owner was killed in a jump and the place shut down.

How on earth were they allowed to keep their license? That puts them WAY outside of the norm, if true. About 1 in 145,000 jumps result in a death. You're far, FAR more likely to die climbing a ladder to your roof. Heck, you're probably more likely to die of food poisoning.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MLF made the right call. The pros of getting the TD far outweighed the cons of not getting a FG. Plus, it sent the message to his team that he believes in them. That's a morale boost and to the teams whether you get the TD or not.

I kinda wish he'd have called a play action there though. May have backfired, but if not there's a chance they could have collapsed on the run and someone go running free in the back of the end zone.

Here's the crux of the matter. If he would have opted for the FG, there would be any number of Monday morning QBs on here criticizing him for not having the guts to trust his team to get one yard. They'd be saying things like, "Williams is a beast in short yardage." or some crap. It's all just noise.

Usually what is is someone assuming the play call is what Mike McCarthy would have called. I kinda think it's a little funny people think McCarthy calls a run play there and goes for it when they were all yelling at him for passing up TDs for FGs in Seattle. Not only Monday morning QBs but wannabe psychologists who think they've diagnosed the HC from afar.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Listening to sports radio, today only, and the calls are in pretty much the exact opposite since that fateful day in Seattle just a handful of years ago. MM was gutless and incompetent kicking those FG's and MLF is not experienced enough and made a dumb decision by doing for it instead of taking the points.

whatever play they call, you can't let basically 2 defenders at the point of attack come free. Doens't matter if it's run, pass, play action, bootleg whatever. If there are 2 guys, and one completely free to make a play from he start, your play is likely doomed before it starts.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think King is fine overall, but he definitely isn't playing great.

Great is pushing it but he is allowing a lower passer rating against then Alexander.

Hes has to improve his tackling and gets caught useing poor technique at times but hopefully he can get those cleaned up

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Listening to sports radio, today only, and the calls are in pretty much the exact opposite since that fateful day in Seattle just a handful of years ago. MM was gutless and incompetent kicking those FG's and MLF is not experienced enough and made a dumb decision by doing for it instead of taking the points.

whatever play they call, you can't let basically 2 defenders at the point of attack come free. Doens't matter if it's run, pass, play action, bootleg whatever. If there are 2 guys, and one completely free to make a play from he start, your play is likely doomed before it starts.

Not a dumb decision at all to go for it given the game situation with us up 4 points and getting the ball in the second half. Maybe a different play, but not a bad decision at all.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the decision or the play call, but you gotta do it better than that. That play was doomed from the snap. A lot of plays would have been.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a dumb decision at all to go for it given the game situation with us up 4 points and getting the ball in the second half. Maybe a different play, but not a bad decision at all.
I was all for going for it. When I saw the defense line up, I thought we definitely needed to run outside off a pitch or throw into flats. We were running the ball well I think the likelihood of getting a TD was pretty good. They sold out on a run up the middle and we were screwed.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think King is fine overall, but he definitely isn't playing great.
If there are schemes where OLBs who pass rush are not supposed to get sacks but just get close, then there are probably schemes out there where CBs are not supposed to cover WRs, just come close.

King maybe doing exactly what he is being asked to do.

Man I am getting mileage out of this one.

Last edited:

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It WAS execution. Did you not see that nobody bothered to block McCoy? I don't know what the hell Jenkins was doing on that play.

Was it McCoy who stuffed Williams behind the LOS? I was watching highlights earlier today and one of our O lineman got beat big time.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Was it McCoy who stuffed Williams behind the LOS? I was watching highlights earlier today and one of our O lineman got beat big time.

I believe Bakh was asked to seal the 3T and didn't get there. Tough block.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Bakh was asked to seal the 3T and didn't get there. Tough block.
He really had no chance. McCoy was too far to the inside for him to have a prayer of getting there. Jenkins should have seen that and taken on that block.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he would have opted for the FG, there would be any number of Monday morning QBs on here criticizing him for not having the guts to trust his team to get one yard.
Turns out he shouldn't have trusted them, because they didn't get it.
I don't think there's a definitive answer here, it's a judgement call. But I would have taken the FG.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could not care less about what others would say. My opinion is based on what the best choice was for the Packers at that time was. What gave them the best chance of winning the game. In my opinion... that was to take the easy points. it’s not about image... or what somebody is going to say from his recliner on Monday morning....and yes that includes me.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For the record, I never blamed Mccarthy for taking those points. We lost that game for a myriad of reasons... none of which, in my opinion, include taking those points to go ahead early in the game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was fine taking the points then too in that situation. I'd have been ok in this one too, but though we should have gone for the TD this time. I wasn't afraid of scoring again. I felt we were just better than the Panthers and scoring a TD there could have blown the game wide open before they had a chance to get the ball back and would have given us a chance to do some things on defense with other guys.

A FG or no points didn't change much. Still just a 1 possession game.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could not care less about what others would say. My opinion is based on what the best choice was for the Packers at that time was. What gave them the best chance of winning the game. In my opinion... that was to take the easy points. it’s not about image... or what somebody is going to say from his recliner on Monday morning....and yes that includes me.

This is one reason I've been a lot more willing to cut Pettine slack because the defense was in must stop situations out there and offense didn't give them cushions with their missed point opportunities.

Plus, I've noticed every failed play is a Mike McCarthy call on this forum so ... Goes to show people don't watch other games and see gambles backfire lol

Werts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

lambeaulambo - for attending his first packer game in 19 years, and remembering it LOL...talk about true form frozen tundra atmosphere, and the liquids were flowing like crazy LOL

Kevin King - made some nice plays he is inconsistent but played pretty well

Clark - got a lot of push and recorded 2 sacks, great effort and push

P Smith - making nice progress on the edge

Adams - its nice to see him returning to form and made a huge difference

OGuards - Turner and Jenkins were manhandling the run trap all game long, which made for good running attack consistantly

Duds:

Lafleur - take the easy points with 02 left in the half - cmon man!

Bakhtiari - not sure what is going on there...looked slow and confused at times

Pettine zone D - as usual, doesnt work and stops nothing.

Martinez - continues to play passively when the holes were there for him to plug...AJ Hawk Jr

All in all, 8-2 is beyond all expectations and Lambeau was rockin the snow it doesnt get much better as far as the ambience of that game was concerned, really exciting. I have now attented 8 packer games of which they have won every single one lol. Cheers!!

What has happened to Rashon Gary? Is he even still on the team?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
100% but besides the blown coverage, it was clear King was trying to keep footing and allow nothing past him, which when crunch time happened he did. I concede calling him a stud for the game could be a reach, but felt he deserved it for so many calling for his head at times this year (myself included)
He made a couple of really good tackles in the first half I thought. His 2nd half was not as good. Still, overall I would say he played a good game.

Members online

Latest posts