2019 Week 10 vs. Carolina: Studs and Duds

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the crux of the matter. If he would have opted for the FG, there would be any number of Monday morning QBs on here criticizing him for not having the guts to trust his team to get one yard. They'd be saying things like, "Williams is a beast in short yardage." or some crap. It's all just noise.
The one I thought we should have gone for was at the end of the game on 4th and 3 when we went to the LoS and then punted. My reasoning is that any way you look at it; we had to stop them. And they needed the 2 point conversion. If we make the 1st down; we are in like Flynn. If we don't; maybe we have some time left for our O if they score.

Reaction score
Someone said he is only playing 15 snaps a game. Is this true?
yeah. He’s only been in there like an average of 20%+ of the available snap counts thus far. I kinda feel like they are developing him along slowly as it was known he is relatively a green pea. I think we could see some sprouts in the coming weeks, but he won’t flower until playoffs or possibly he gets unleashed next season.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there are schemes where OLBs who pass rush are not supposed to get sacks but just get close, then there are probably schemes out there where CBs are not supposed to cover WRs, just come close.

King maybe doing exactly what he is being asked to do.

Man I am getting mileage out of this one.

Well, if your supposition is that Gary was an OLB in college, then mate, I can't help you one bit!

Seriously though, I know you're kidding around, but I never said anything like that, at all. Do try to keep up. ;)

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The play of Fackrell is as I predicted making Gary not have to be rushed in the development process.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary has played well when he's gotten in. Very good at run support. High effort.

Needs to improve his handwork and plan. He also has two very good players ahead of him. Patience is, and always has been, required with Gary.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, if your supposition is that Gary was an OLB in college, then mate, I can't help you one bit!

Seriously though, I know you're kidding around, but I never said anything like that, at all. Do try to keep up. ;)
You were level headed in the Gary draft pick thread. There were others who said his lack of production should not factor into his evaluation because of scheme. Therefore, this isn't directed at you. Those who were adamant don't seem to post about it and I can't get my digs in!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary has played well when he's gotten in. Very good at run support. High effort.

Needs to improve his handwork and plan. He also has two very good players ahead of him. Patience is, and always has been, required with Gary.

Correction he has 3 players ahead of him. Fackrell is anything but 4th on that depth chart. Dude is producing when asked.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You were level headed in the Gary draft pick thread. There were others who said his lack of production should not factor into his evaluation because of scheme. Therefore, this isn't directed at you. Those who were adamant don't seem to post about it and I can't get my digs in!

Haha, I'm pretty sure I was one of those people!

His role in his college scheme did result in lower sack numbers, although they still could have been higher. It was a combination of scheme and rawness, imo.

Reaction score
The one I thought we should have gone for was at the end of the game on 4th and 3 when we went to the LoS and then punted. My reasoning is that any way you look at it; we had to stop them. And they needed the 2 point conversion. If we make the 1st down; we are in like Flynn. If we don't; maybe we have some time left for our O if they score.
They still had 4 clock stops remaining. A first down there wouldn’t have ended the game. We would’ve had to convert at minimum 2 first downs and then some. Or they still would’ve had the ball back with about 2 minutes left.
I’d agree with you inside 2 minutes and them having 1 TO though. At that point you could drain the clock inside 15 sec or less before running our last play (punt or going on 4th down again). That wouldn’t be sufficient time for anything but a Hail Mary and down by 8.

I like the principle of it though. In some cases a first down is as good as another TD. It’s the proverbial “Nail in the Coffin”.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I agree he's an improved player. I question your view of his instincts. Twitchy in a Combine test is not mentally twitchy. He seems to be learning by rote. Where that stops we don't know. As it stands, he's still one double move or zone brain fart away from getting burned. Of course, All Pros are not entirely exempt. It's the frequency that matters and as it stands now it is too high to call him a good player.
This week he stopped a 3rd down conversion for a loss of 1. He read the play fake perfectly. That first down puts them at the edge of FG position with 3 more tries. Likely 3 points.
He also batted a pass that eliminated a TD strike in the enzone in the 4th quarter.
He had 3 more plays that he singly shutdown the play. One on a drive that forced a punt on that series also.
He had 1 play he gave up on an inside low throw that was non defendable IMO. Even the announcer was wondering if that was planned because the pass was inside and low and perfectly thrown in his words.

I had him allowing 2 receptions that could be considered his responsibility. had 1 play on the sideline 4th quarter in terrible field conditions. The Referee slipped and fell on a play in that drive.
Those 2 receptions resulted in 2 first downs but he clearly wrapped up the defender for minimal additional gain.
9 solo
2 PD
1 TFL
He had a near career day and had repeated tackles last on players that weren’t his primary responsibility. He was very involved, unlike some others on the D.

The only reason I bring this up is that King’s been getting a bad wrap by some posters in here after what was a very solid game. I was surprised how good he played in the condensed replay and it clearly showed he routinely covered up his guy and forced the throw elsewhere. He also made good form tackles and prevented any big scoring plays. If he plays like that ever game we’re in for a treat.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

This week he stopped a 3rd down conversion for a loss of 1. He read the play fake perfectly. That first down puts them at the edge of FG position with 3 more tries. Likely 3 points.
He also batted a pass that eliminated a TD strike in the enzone in the 4th quarter.
He had 3 more plays that he singly shutdown the play. One on a drive that forced a punt on that series also.
He had 1 play he gave up on an inside low throw that was non defendable IMO. Even the announcer was wondering if that was planned because the pass was inside and low and perfectly thrown in his words.

I had him allowing 2 receptions that could be considered his responsibility. had 1 play on the sideline 4th quarter in terrible field conditions. The Referee slipped and fell on a play in that drive.
Those 2 receptions resulted in 2 first downs but he clearly wrapped up the defender for minimal additional gain.
9 solo
2 PD
1 TFL
He had a near career day and had repeated tackles last on players that weren’t his primary responsibility. He was very involved, unlike some others on the D.

The only reason I bring this up is that King’s been getting a bad wrap by some posters in here after what was a very solid game. I was surprised how good he played in the condensed replay and it clearly showed he routinely covered up his guy and forced the throw elsewhere. He also made good form tackles and prevented any big scoring plays. If he plays like that ever game we’re in for a treat.
Did you consider Carolina's first play of their second drive, the 38 yard throw to Moore? Everybody's playing man while King quits on the route like he's playing zone. Moore is wide open. He has a habit of looking very bad on a few plays per game, whether some kind of brain fart or getting ripped on a double move, a particular vulnuerability. And when you play off coverage, do you really need to give a guy 10 yards of cushion? These bad plays tend to look very bad. There's fewer of them and more good ones as we go along but I'm not at the point of calling him a good ballplayer.

Reaction score
Did you consider Carolina's first play of their second drive, the 38 yard throw to Moore? Everybody's playing man while King quits on the route like he's playing zone. Moore is wide open. He has a habit of looking very bad on a few plays per game, whether some kind of brain fart or getting ripped on a double move, a particular vulnuerability. And when you play off coverage, do you really need to give a guy 10 yards of cushion? These bad plays tend to look very bad. There's fewer of them and more good ones as we go along but I'm not at the point of calling him a good ballplayer.
IMO think he’s a good CB not great. I also think he’s still ascending as he missed significant time early on.
But he’s definitely not a bad CB either. He’s done a good job quelling the “fragile” label this far in 2019. If he stays healthy we’d be the better for it.

We’ve got far worse issues to deal with than a few plays Kevin King allowed. He should have 4-5 INT’s right now and he obviously puts himself in position on a regular basis to make plays. Ironically (praise the Lord) Here’s an interesting article that came out on him after our discussion started.
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...cb-tandems-in-pass-breakups-dropped-ints/amp/

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Someone said he is only playing 15 snaps a game. Is this true?

Gary has played a total of only 160 snaps on defense this season. To be fair there's no reason for Pettine to use him more often with the Smiths performing on a very high level.

Members online

Latest posts