2019 Week 10 vs. Carolina: Studs and Duds

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In nicknaming him "The Weather", one moment his sun is shining, five minutes later it's raining on him. One minute he's backpedling off a receiver 5+ yards for fear of a double move which I guess is better than possible alternatives; the next he's defending a ball in the end zone or making a nice tackle in space. His inconsistency is pretty striking.

True, but the great plays really stood out. To me, at least. Some excellent tackles.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

lambeaulambo - for attending his first packer game in 19 years, and remembering it LOL...talk about true form frozen tundra atmosphere, and the liquids were flowing like crazy LOL

Kevin King - made some nice plays he is inconsistent but played pretty well

Clark - got a lot of push and recorded 2 sacks, great effort and push

P Smith - making nice progress on the edge

Adams - its nice to see him returning to form and made a huge difference

OGuards - Turner and Jenkins were manhandling the run trap all game long, which made for good running attack consistantly

Duds:

Lafleur - take the easy points with 02 left in the half - cmon man!

Bakhtiari - not sure what is going on there...looked slow and confused at times

Pettine zone D - as usual, doesnt work and stops nothing.

Martinez - continues to play passively when the holes were there for him to plug...AJ Hawk Jr

All in all, 8-2 is beyond all expectations and Lambeau was rockin the snow it doesnt get much better as far as the ambience of that game was concerned, really exciting. I have now attented 8 packer games of which they have won every single one lol. Cheers!!

Reaction score
In nicknaming him "The Weather", one moment his sun is shining, five minutes later it's raining on him. One minute he's backpedling off a receiver 5+ yards for fear of a double move which I guess is better than possible alternatives; the next he's defending a ball in the end zone or making a nice tackle in space. His inconsistency is pretty striking.
There’s no question King is inconsistent. But what’s still encouraging to me is he’s made some plays in-between that took elite level athleticism or instincts. I think he’s still getting better, the time he lost due to injuries set his learning curve back some. His improvement is undeniable.
This season Kevin has played in 10 games 9 starts with:
3 INT, 10 PD, 1 FF, 1 Sack, 47 combined Tackles

In 15 games 11 starts previously:
1 INT, 7 PD, 0 FF, 0 Sacks, 44 comb’ Tackles.

H

HardRightEdge

There’s no question King is inconsistent. But what’s still encouraging to me is he’s made some plays in-between that took elite level athleticism or instincts. I think he’s still getting better, the time he lost due to injuries set his learning curve back some. His improvement is undeniable.
This season Kevin has played in 10 games 9 starts with:
3 INT, 10 PD, 1 FF, 1 Sack, 47 combined Tackles

In 15 games 11 starts previously:
1 INT, 7 PD, 0 FF, 0 Sacks, 44 comb’ Tackles.
I agree he's an improved player. I question your view of his instincts. Twitchy in a Combine test is not mentally twitchy. He seems to be learning by rote. Where that stops we don't know. As it stands, he's still one double move or zone brain fart away from getting burned. Of course, All Pros are not entirely exempt. It's the frequency that matters and as it stands now it is too high to call him a good player.

Last edited by a moderator:

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the 3rd and 9 conversion to Lazard on the way to the first touchdown, watch how well Bakhtiari handles the stunt. It's hard to believe that the inside man didn't end up getting Rodgers.
Yeah, he had some remarkable plays. For all the heat he has gotten this year, he has made more spectacular blocks to more than even it out. Bakhtiari is a gem to have there guarding Rodgers' blindside.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Good summary of King. I will say this though. I am quite pleased that he has made it this far in the season without a major injury. I also think that if he stays healthy, his best football is yet to come. I still view him as a guy learning how to play the position in the NFL and he makes some of the mistakes that even some of the better CB's in the league occasionally make. The good news for the Packers, they have King on his rookie deal for another season, so no decisions on him are looming for at least a year.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You look at it as aggressive. I look at it as fans just wanting excitement and not what is in the best interest of the team winning.

Thanks for telling me how I think!

Let me correct you. I think decisions like that allow teams to win more often than lose. Odds wise, they had a good chance at it. They'd been running well, going against a team that struggles to defend the run. If they get 7 there, and score after halftime, your defense can then just straight up pass rush. It's worth the risk.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This was the first good angle replay of the last play of the game last night, that I have seen. Totally a group effort on the part of the Packer defense. Had one of the players involved not done what they did, I believe McCaffrey scores. First Fackrell gets great penetration and slows him behind the LOS, as does Z Dog, then Preston Smith wraps his legs up and pulls him backwards, Kenny Clark has taken a lineman down and plugged up the path. Finally, good old Blake Martinez is in there stopping any further forward progress. This was a TEAM tackle at its finest!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree he's an improved player. I question your view of his instincts. Twitchy in a Combine test is not mentally twitchy. He seems to be learning by rote. Where that stops we don't know. As it stands, he's still one double move or zone brain fart away from getting burned. Of course, All Pros are not entirely exempt. It's the frequency that matters and as it stands now it is too high to call him a good player.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2019_advanced.htm

I dunno. Looking at theses stats I'd say it's safe to call him a good player who's inconsistency has led to some big plays (ypt and ypc reflect that)

But oooof it's amazing Martinez doesnt get thrown at every play looking at those stats

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs
Aaron Jones - passed up McCaffry for TD lead

D Adams - you make it look too easy sometimes

Smith and Smith: lots of pressure

Graham, maybe his best game as a Packer.

M. Adams and Lowry - really played much better than last few weeks. Shut down MVP candidate.

Allan: Carolina QB. Where did this guy come from? Cam is gone and it's a big improvement.

Schedule - we really need that upcoming bye

Duds

MLF: got away from the run towards end of game when it was doing so well. Should have kept pounding it.

Equipment manager - a lot of slipping around out there. Needed different spikes or something.

Bahk - what's going on?

Neither stud nor dud
Aaron Rodgers - beautyof a pass to Adams but blew several others. Long pass to Adam broken up because underthrown by 5 yds.

Alexander - played well despite missing a few, but dropped an easy pick 6. Spend some time on the JUGs machine.

Clark - played much better but still not entirely back to form.

I would give Clark a stud. Thanks to him on of the Smiths got a sack. He also was more aggressive. I think he heard that people were wondering when he would show up. Good job.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That nobody QB looked good because he played pretty dang good. The pass rush was there most of the night. he was under pressure a lot and still was putting the ball right on target for some big plays. you can't just ignore that. We had some issues with the middle of the field again, no surprise, but their nobody QB was making a lot of other plays too and that was all him making good plays.

Alexander doesn't seem to be able to catch, but you rarely saw him last night and when you did, he was still right on his man. he is good. Savage can't tackle? I'm not sure you're really watching. You saw a miss and think that's normal for him?

What a stupid post

Your last sentence is about all I agree with.
Thanks for all the positive feedback gentlemen. If only I was as smart and eloquent as you guys. Oh well, life goes on. One thing I am not, is blinded by my allegiance to the Packers. I call 'em like I see 'em and if that ruffles a few feathers so be it. Mondio, I would wager that 95% of the NFL fan base couldn't tell you who Kyle Allen is. PFIC, what a stupid post and switset, finally someone who agrees with me on something. Now you 3 can put on your homer goggles and grace me with some big time knowledge.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for all the positive feedback gentlemen. If only I was as smart and eloquent as you guys. Oh well, life goes on. One thing I am not, is blinded by my allegiance to the Packers. I call 'em like I see 'em and if that ruffles a few feathers so be it. Mondio, I would wager that 95% of the NFL fan base couldn't tell you who Kyle Allen is. PFIC, what a stupid post and switset, finally someone who agrees with me on something. Now you 3 can put on your homer goggles and grace me with some big time knowledge.
My feathers aren’t ruffled, and I did t know who their qb was but could easily see he was making some damn nice throws. He keeps that up, the league will know who he is. I'm sorry you missed it.

Here's some knowledge, quit being such a melodramatic pansy when others don't agree with you. You can call him a no name, you can't say he didn't make big time throws. He also made some mistakes we didn't capitalize on, but for the most part, he earned his stats.

You can not like Savage, you can't say he can't tackle when everyone else can clearly see he can. Show us some examples of him missing, but don't be such a ***** when we put others up of some nice tackles to refute your claim.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's see - I call you a gentleman and you call me a "pansy" and a "*****". Talk about melodramatic. Surely you must know that I didn't mean that Savage literally can't tackle. That would be silly. For all I know, Allen might turn out to be that greatest QB to ever play the game. Am I wrong in saying that the Packer D is making quite a few QB's look great? I asked for big time knowledge and all you give me are insults.

Reaction score
Another stud I did see (partial)
I liked what we saw from Campbell. I was just talking about missing his aggressiveness out there and he goes out and gets 6 tackles and a FF on McAffrey. You could tell it was completely intentional too but unfortunately his own OL recovered it downfield. A+ effort by Campbell yesterday.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
No time to read all 5 pages of this thread...that said.. a huge dud for the one Carolina fan that got more airtime than Aaron Rodgers... ridiculous!!!!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's see - I call you a gentleman and you call me a "pansy" and a "*****". Talk about melodramatic. Surely you must know that I didn't mean that Savage literally can't tackle. That would be silly. For all I know, Allen might turn out to be that greatest QB to ever play the game. Am I wrong in saying that the Packer D is making quite a few QB's look great? I asked for big time knowledge and all you give me are insults.
A passive aggressive pansy

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for all the positive feedback gentlemen.
I think they critiqued your post with more respect and objectivity than you extended the Packers and their performance. The Packers are 8-2 and having a great year despite a rookie HC. From your comments one would think the Packers are winless and in last place. Are they perfect? No. Nobody thinks that. But if you can't enjoy a team that is exceeding everyone's expectations, I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A passive aggressive pansy

I think they critiqued your post with more respect and objectivity than you extended the Packers and their performance. The Packers are 8-2 and having a great year despite a rookie HC. From your comments one would think the Packers are winless and in last place. Are they perfect? No. Nobody thinks that. But if you can't enjoy a team that is exceeding everyone's expectations, I don't know what to tell you.
Is this forum just for puppy dogs and happy thoughts, where no one can be critical when it might be warranted? Have you ever heard of Vince Lombardi? What do you suppose he would think of the Defense? What do you think he would do with guys who were poor tacklers? He'd cut them. They wouldn't have a job. You two might be the only guys that apparently have never uttered a bad word about the Packers and if you ever do, it's in a "NICE" way. Congratulations.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
No time to read all 5 pages of this thread...that said.. a huge dud for the one Carolina fan that got more airtime than Aaron Rodgers... ridiculous!!!!

ok.. I've only seen the last 10 min of the game live,..and saw this guy at least 6 times.. and tonight I'm finally getting to watch the first 3 quarters and saw this guy at least as many if not more.. apparently he's someones Dad on the Panthers from what I gathered from the commentary.. either his name is Mike or the players name is Mike! lol So I guess that would change this to a stud for a parent being there and getting more air time than the opposing home teams QB!
*good grief..its been forever since i shared a pic I forgot how.. anyways.. grey headed man w/ a Panthers #7 jersey....easier than trying to figure this ****out while trying to finish the game!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was the panthers QB’s dad. They were also huge Packer Fans until their son became a starting QB in the NFL for a different team.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There’s nothing wrong with being nice, though I’m definitely not always. And Vince would probably be thinking “I can’t believe Herb is still playing.”

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I forgot to add this Dud and mainly it was because I felt sorry for this kid at the game yesterday. That Dud would be the NFL flex scheduling games.

A father and his 10 year old son sat down next to me at the game, both head to toe in Packer gear, the kid was grinning ear to ear looking down at the field, but had tears in his eyes. I asked his Dad what was up. They lived in New Jersey, but his son was a huge Packer and Aaron Rodgers fan and it was his dream to attend a Packer game so he could see Aaron play. So for the kids birthday, his Dad bought tickets and made plans in August for the 2 of them to attend this game. At that time, the game was scheduled to be a Noon game. Knowing he had to get his son back to school, he booked everything timed for that Noon game, with a flight out of Green Bay at 6:30 last night. So they had to leave after the first quarter of the now rescheduled 3:30 game to make the flight home.

Damn you FOX and the NFL for spoiling a kids dream!

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Me again.. just finished the game in its entirety, Studs...hands down our Packers! Such a great game..penalties aside,..this is the type of game I'd like to see.. I didn't comment on the GB vs KC game....but my word THAT is what football is about.. I think there were only 2 penalties...but just such a great game, nail biter to the end! Now with our bye week to recoup and strengthen...bring on the 49'rs!!!

Members online

No members online now.