1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

1996 Packers versus 2010 Packers

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by aaronqb, Oct 7, 2010.

1. aaronqb

aaronqb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +73
    You are right. The 96 team was really good.

2. Big Dan

Big Dan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +47
    The 1996 team had much better Special Teams, and they completely dominated on both offense and defense. This team is extremely good, but they're not nearly as far ahead of the competition as the '96 team was.

3. GreenBayTheOnlyWay

GreenBayTheOnlyWay Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Don't expect Collins to miss anything. He's tough. He'll be there this Sunday.

4. Jess

Jess Movement!

Ratings:
    +471
    '96's defense was better than ours is now.

And the special teams in '96 makes our current team's look like a bunch of high schoolers.

5. TampaPacMan

TampaPacMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    The 96 squad was far superior to this team! They were dominating virtually every opponent on their schedule, until they lost Brooks and then briefly Freeman to injuries. They started the season 3-0 winning the games by a combined score of 113-26. They played the Bears in Chicago and destroyed them 37-6. I can't think of any area where they weren't better than this year's edition.

6. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,427
    I can see where you would draw that comparison. I had this feeling at the beginning of the season, a feeling that this team could do it this year. That feeling is a flame that has yet to die. Teams are always going to be compared to championship teams, always with the hope of attaining another championship. But that 1996 year was epic. It was a tremulous feeling you felt way deep down inside of you, where every play was epic and you just knew. You could feel it. There are a lot of similarities yes, but I see it in them, I feel it. It's a bit early in the season and we have those injuries to consider. If they can overcome that, they can overcome anything. Never give up. Champions keep fighting on until their dying breath. Injuries and setbacks are part of the game, you have to dig deeper, fight harder. If you want it more than anything, nothing will stop you. I believe this team can do it, the talent it there, as long as there is life, that desire within, we can do it. The only thing that can ever really stop us is ourselves.

The 96 team is sacred to me: Miss my Reggie!

7. aaronqb

aaronqb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +73
    You are right. 1996 rocks

8. profile_removed

profile_removed Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Didn't we also lose Edgar Bennett in the pre-season or was that in '97?

9. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +979
    In 97

10. LAG

LAG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +164
    Fritz Shurmers Defense was rated No 1 that season, with Reggie and Leroy.

Howard ran back like 6 Tds on ST in the regular season alone.

Holgrem had control of his young QB from Mississippi.

11. aaronqb

aaronqb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +73
    woo hoo

12. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,966
    Favre was a little better in 96. The Defense was a little better. And the STs was vastly better. Also much more consistent as a team. I only can go off of what I saw on the field this year, I would assume we would be amazing without injuries but that would be just speculative.

13. 94niners

94niners Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +13
    I joined just to comment on this thread. I'm obviously not a Packer fan (although I am for the next two weeks. I won't be able to stomach the Steelers getting 7 rings).

But a lot of people I know are just comparing the two teams position by position, but a lot of people are missing other similarities. Neither team had ONE solid super star at the top of the league at the receiver position, but both were loaded with GOOD receivers, TEs and backs. Freeman and Brooks, Beebe, Rison (for a while), even Mayes. Meanwhile, the 2010 team has Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson, and of course, Finley and Jackson.

The 96 team had 5 players with 30+ receptions. The 2010 team has 5 players with 40+ receptions.

They both ran a version of the Walsh offense, featuring quick slants being taken for big gains and mastery of the screen game.

Defensively, the schemes are not as similar, but the fire zone was sometimes used by the 96 team, and they had ball hawking rovers on D, just like the 2010 team.

The big differentiation is obviously special teams, but other than a lack of a Desmon Howard, and more use of spread formations, this 2010 team is eerily similar to the 1996 one.