Which Team Is Really Actually Our Biggest Divisional Opponent Threat?

Which Team Is Really Actually Our Biggest Divisional Opponent Threat?

• Detroit

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • Minny

Votes: 39 61.9%
  • Chicago

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikes are currently the biggest threat to the Packers (not saying much really since the other options are the Bears and Lions). The San Diego oline got destroyed by injuries during the Vikings game but the Viking's dline was dominant before those injuries as well as after. The Vikings also beat Stafford up about as bad as I've seen a QB get beaten in the NFL. I think I read somewhere that Stafford at one point was bleeding and he didn't which injury it was coming from. Packers are still much better but I'll be worried about Rodger's health during the Viking's games.

I don't think the Vikings are an actual threat to the packers winning the NFC North but if their dline and AD continue to play like they are, they'll get into the playoffs in the wildcard spot.

D

Deleted member 6794

Vikes are currently the biggest threat to the Packers (not saying much really since the other options are the Bears and Lions). The San Diego oline got destroyed by injuries during the Vikings game but the Viking's dline was dominant before those injuries as well as after. The Vikings also beat Stafford up about as bad as I've seen a QB get beaten in the NFL. I think I read somewhere that Stafford at one point was bleeding and he didn't which injury it was coming from. Packers are still much better but I'll be worried about Rodger's health during the Viking's games.

The Packers offensive line fared well against the Seahawks and Chiefs, teams that have a pass rush as good as the Vikings´ one, so I´m not worried about facing them. In addition by playing Minnesota for the first time in week 11 it´s probable Bulaga will be back at RT.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like the Minnesota Petersons............Whoops......I mean Minnesota Vikings. As long as AP remains healthy and productive the Vikings could be pesky even with a mediocre QB.

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently the NFL thought that MN might be the most interesting scenario vs GB, when they set up the schedule and awarded the Vikings the last game of the year at Lambeau.

Another interesting thought was last week it was mentioned that AR had only 2 more teams to defeat for his career record, with KC and Cincinnati being the only teams that he has never beaten. The Cincy teams had Mike Zimmer as their DC. The MN defense is being built for the long haul with number one drafts across many positions and the hiring of Zimmer looks like I may soon be pining for the days of Brad Childress, etc! Maybe not quite this year but definitely in the future. :eek:

D

Deleted member 6794

Another interesting thought was last week it was mentioned that AR had only 2 more teams to defeat for his career record, with KC and Cincinnati being the only teams that he has never beaten. The Cincy teams had Mike Zimmer as their DC. The MN defense is being built for the long haul with number one drafts across many positions and the hiring of Zimmer looks like I may soon be pining for the days of Brad Childress, etc! Maybe not quite this year but definitely in the future. :eek:

The Packers have scored an average of 30 points per game vs. defenses coached by Zimmer. We´ve already played two really good defenses in the Seahawks and Chiefs and were able to score points on them so I´m not worried about the Vikings one.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have scored an average of 30 points per game vs. defenses coached by Zimmer. We´ve already played two really good defenses in the Seahawks and Chiefs and were able to score points on them so I´m not worried about the Vikings one.

Not sure Zimmer is the key here...without Ponder at QB to give the Packers free points the Vikings held the Packers to 24 points with a worse defense last year. Not trying to say the Vikings have a good chance of beating the Packers but that just dismissing them seems overly optimistic. Last year's Packers team won by 3 points when the Vikings had a legit NFL QB and this year's Vikings team is better than that one.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not sure Zimmer is the key here...without Ponder at QB to give the Packers free points the Vikings held the Packers to 24 points with a worse defense last year. Not trying to say the Vikings have a good chance of beating the Packers but that just dismissing them seems overly optimistic. Last year's Packers team won by 3 points when the Vikings had a legit NFL QB and this year's Vikings team is better than that one.

I didn´t understand all the hype about the Vikings during the offseason and so far they haven´t made me change my mind. They´re an average team beating worse ones but so far still haven´t beaten any quality opponent. Bridgewater hasn´t looked like a legit NFL QB during the first three games either.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn´t understand all the hype about the Vikings during the offseason and so far they haven´t made me change my mind. They´re an average team beating worse ones but so far still haven´t beaten any quality opponent. Bridgewater hasn´t looked like a legit NFL QB during the first three games either.

Again, the Packers beat a worse Vikings team last year by 3 points when Ponder wasn't at QB. Peterson is better than anyone the Vikings had last year and Bridgewater is better than Ponder. Bridgewater may not have looked great his first three games last year but I think the way he played last year was more indicative of what he is. Packers shouldn't be scared of the Vikings but winning by 3 against a worse Vikings team would tell me that the Packers should take them seriously.

D

Deleted member 6794

Again, the Packers beat a worse Vikings team last year by 3 points when Ponder wasn't at QB. Peterson is better than anyone the Vikings had last year and Bridgewater is better than Ponder. Bridgewater may not have looked great his first three games last year but I think the way he played last year was more indicative of what he is. Packers shouldn't be scared of the Vikings but winning by 3 against a worse Vikings team would tell me that the Packers should take them seriously.

The Packers should take the Vikings seriously, just like every other team in the league. I don't put too much stock into the Packers only winning by three at Minnesota last season because I think they're clearly the superior team.

The Vikings need at least a win vs. a quality opponent before I'll consider them as a threat to the Packers.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

An offense also doesn't try to score as much and tends to kill more clock after being up 40.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
An offense also doesn't try to score as much and tends to kill more clock after being up 40.

I'm not sure where you were going with the above. Packers didn't score 40 points when they beat the Vikings by three.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers should take the Vikings seriously, just like every other team in the league. I don't put too much stock into the Packers only winning by three at Minnesota last season because I think they're clearly the superior team.

The Vikings need at least a win vs. a quality opponent before I'll consider them as a threat to the Packers.

So then you feel the Lions or Bears are the bigger threat?

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Judging from the box score, San Diego ran roughshod over the Detroit D. Detroit collecting 3 turnovers didn't stop SD from scoring 33 points on 483 yds. and 28 first downs. S.D. had drives of 73, 80, 73, 70 and 86 yards.

So far, Minnesota looks like the default...until tonight's game concludes.
Wow those are some staggering stats. Is the Detroit D that bad this year? Both the Lions and Vikings have a shot at a 9-7 season, but would be surprised if either team does better and I don't think 9-7 gets a playoff spot. As far as the intangible of "toughness", Detroit collapsed yesterday while the Vikings made it a game on the road against the Broncos. Slight edge to the Vikes for second place, but playoff spot seems unlikely.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wow those are some staggering stats. Is the Detroit D that bad this year? Both the Lions and Vikings have a shot at a 9-7 season, but would be surprised if either team does better and I don't think 9-7 gets a playoff spot. As far as the intangible of "toughness", Detroit collapsed yesterday while the Vikings made it a game on the road against the Broncos. Slight edge to the Vikes for second place, but playoff spot seems unlikely.

The Lions defense is especially terrible against deep passes and an average unit vs. the run. Who would have though they will miss Suh and Fairley after all??? ;) To be fair they haven´t been able to replace DeAndre Levy who has been out since the start of the season.

H

HardRightEdge

Those stats from the DET vs. SD game were from week 1, however that early indication is starting to look like a trend with Minnesota still the default.

DET's defensive stats through 3 games are as follows:

- Yards per game: 28th - 395.7
- Points per game: 29th - 27.7 (these numbers are not adjusted for opponents' defensive or ST TDs, so actual defensive ranking may vary somewhat)
- Takeaways: 12th (tie) - 6
- Third down percent: 31st. - 45.9%
- Opponent passer rating: 28th. - 107.1
- Average rush: 4th. - 3.7

Winning this division is a low bar this season. The target is the #1 seed.

D

Deleted member 6794

Those stats from the DET vs. SD game were from week 1, however that early indication is starting to look like a trend with Minnesota still the default.

DET's defensive stats through 3 games are as follows:

- Yards per game: 28th - 395.7
- Points per game: 29th - 27.7 (these numbers are not adjusted for opponents' defensive or ST TDs, so actual defensive ranking may vary somewhat)
- Takeaways: 12th (tie) - 6
- Third down percent: 31st. - 45.9%
- Opponent passer rating: 28th. - 107.1
- Average rush: 4th. - 3.7

Winning this division is a low bar this season. The target is the #1 seed.

The Lions defense was ranked 22nd in DVOA after week 3 with their offense being a disappointment as well at 24th.

It seems to me that the Packers are clearly focused on getting the #1 seed this season.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still say nobody. The Vikings don't impress me a whole lot. Don't let that close Bronco score fool you. Peyton Manning is on his last leg and that Bronco O is very pedestrian. Denver right now is winning on defense and luck alone. Smoke and mirrors if you will.........

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you were going with the above. Packers didn't score 40 points when they beat the Vikings by three.

Somebody made a point that the offense wasn't that great in the first Vikings game and that's what I referring to.

I must have replied to the wrong post. My bad.

H

HardRightEdge

The Lions defense is especially terrible against deep passes and an average unit vs. the run. Who would have though they will miss Suh and Fairley after all??? ;) To be fair they haven´t been able to replace DeAndre Levy who has been out since the start of the season.
3.7 yards per carry is not too shabby.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, there´s no threat for the Packers to win their fifth consecutive NFL North title.

OK, that's where the disconnect is then. The thread was asking for the biggest threat, not for a realistic threat. I don't think the Vikings are a legitimate threat but they are certainly more of a threat than the Lions or Bears.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still say nobody. The Vikings don't impress me a whole lot. Don't let that close Bronco score fool you. Peyton Manning is on his last leg and that Bronco O is very pedestrian. Denver right now is winning on defense and luck alone. Smoke and mirrors if you will.........

But that defense.....

Members online

Latest posts