David Bakhtiari

Will Green Bay and Bakhtiari (if healthy)figure out a way to work it out for 2024

• A) Green Bay will move on

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • B) Bakhtiari will refuse to deal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C) Moot point he can’t play

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • D) GB will suck up the cap hit and keep him

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E) GB/DB work it out so he plays but reduces the cap hit

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It not a matter of his injury not impacting him in the pros. It’s the fact that we didn’t get to evaluate his play as a senior (or the combine). We drafted a second team all conference lineman who sat out his senior year at #16. Without his injury he might have gone higher? Seriously? Or maybe we would have seen what we eventually wound up with. 17 tackles in 14 games over 4 years for $14 Mil and the 16th pick. Again this is not on Harrell. I hope he invested his money wisely and is living comfortably. This was on TT (again irrelevant) - my actual point being I don’t think you find GMs banging down the door to throw money at a guy they essentially have only seen play half a season in the last 3 years - with 4(?) knee surguries and oh by the way he’s going to be 33. Then again all we need is one. At least if he goes to the Jets he won’t have Karma following him out there LOL

The problem here is he washed out due to different injuries, not talent or performance issues. And those issues were not what injured him in college.

For Bahk, his situation is similar and different. The injury looms but so does the cap implications of whatever option we take. I’d be willing, depending on the specific structure, to give more money if we can control when and how the cap hits are realized.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
We all heard both sides and we all heard second hand accounts from “highly placed sources speaking on the condition of anonymity LOL and yes I did and apparently so have you. Does not change that TT handled it in a gutless and classless manner.
Please don’t po po who I knew inside 1265

Again, you made up your mind. I’m not trying to change it

OP
OP
AKCheese

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please don’t po po who I knew inside 1265

Again, you made up your mind. I’m not trying to change it
I’m guessing the NFL talked to people inside 1265 … maybe they didn’t talk to your family members. Nobody ever denied Favre talked to people who were empoyees of the Vikings during that summer. That does not constitute tampering. It means he talked to people he had known for years and years who happened at the time to work for or have connections to the Vikings. There are hundreds of people who work at 1265. I’m sure there’s a lot of scuttlebutt and gossip that passes back and forth on a daily basis and especially during times like those. I’m glad you got the “inside scoop” from your website guys, I’ll go with the NFL investigators who just may have had a more in depth more well founded picture of what happened. End of the day, Favre wantec to play, Green Bay wanted him to NOT play (because they/TT were afraid of him). Exactly WHAT could anything the Vikings and Favre conspire to accomplish? (Assuming your website developer actually had the inside scoop the NFL investigators could not unearth). There’s nothing to tamper. It was a smear by TT and Green Bay to try to mitigate their ham handed handling of the process. Anyone with class, would man up, say “hey we’re moving on … we’ll make the best deal we can for the Green Bay Packers … and we’ll see you on any given Sunday down the road”. Instead TT (and the Packers) cowered in fear and looked pathetic, the only time in my life I’ve been ashamed to be a Packer fan. It was shameful.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only thing I'll say is that NFL investigators are going to find what the NFL wants them to find and even if there was anything, the NFL is going to act on what they want to act on. About the equivalent of government fact finding committees and the 'Top Men' doing research at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Was there something, was there nothing? Who knows.. but I chuckle anytime any organization trots out investigators to get to the bottom of anything because rarely does it unless they need to get to the bottom of something for monetary or PR reasons.

About my limits of still caring about what happened in 2008.

OP
OP
AKCheese

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only thing I'll say is that NFL investigators are going to find what the NFL wants them to find and even if there was anything, the NFL is going to act on what they want to act on. About the equivalent of government fact finding committees and the 'Top Men' doing research at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Was there something, was there nothing? Who knows.. but I chuckle anytime any organization trots out investigators to get to the bottom of anything because rarely does it unless they need to get to the bottom of something for monetary or PR reasons.

About my limits of still caring about what happened in 2008.
Yeah thats getting further and further in the rear view mirror. But what could the Vikings actually tamper with? “Yeah we told him that if GB didn’t want him we’d be interested”? That was common knowledge. I always do get a kick out of the “my sisters husband is on a bowling team with a guy whose neighbor went to highschool with a guy…” LOL

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah thats getting further and further in the rear view mirror. But what could the Vikings actually tamper with? “Yeah we told him that if GB didn’t want him we’d be interested”? That was common knowledge. I always do get a kick out of the “my sisters husband is on a bowling team with a guy whose neighbor went to highschool with a guy…” LOL
What's the name of the bowling team? I might know him.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah thats getting further and further in the rear view mirror. But what could the Vikings actually tamper with? “Yeah we told him that if GB didn’t want him we’d be interested”?

Again, less of a concern this far removed from it, but yup, that's 100% legit tampering. Text book example. You cannot say any such things about players under contract with a different team. Full stop.

This is why GMs and coaches, when asked in interviews about the chance of getting player X or what might happen in the upcoming free agency, the canned answer is "I'm not going to comment about a player under contract with a different team," or a similar variation.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Don’t be that as hole

again you have no clue who I knew inside 1265. and even tho it was a web site I hung out with Scott Favre at a house near Madison during a party. next morning we had McDonald’s lol

I met Deanna while there was a commercial shoot at same house

again I heard both sides.

Last time stop ridiculing who i knew

Favre 4 ever was the store for her commercial at the house of the guy that I worked for

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m done trying to defend what I know for fact to someone that doesn’t have an open mind

ignore is set

OP
OP
AKCheese

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your godson dated a girl whose dad was a “coach” who did reports for TT - my mistake - no bowling team involved LOL

OP
OP
AKCheese

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, less of a concern this far removed from it, but yup, that's 100% legit tampering. Text book example. You cannot say any such things about players under contract with a different team. Full stop.

This is why GMs and coaches, when asked in interviews about the chance of getting player X or what might happen in the upcoming free agency, the canned answer is "I'm not going to comment about a player under contract with a different team," or a similar variation.
Exactly - which is why there was no need to tamper. The league “sluethed out” that Favre talked to two guys with ties to the Vikings whom Farve had also known for years and years. I talk to my neighbors wife all the time - doesn’t mean I’m tampering. LOL

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your godson dated a girl whose dad was a “coach” who did reports for TT - my mistake - no bowling team involved LOL

Look, there is a point where we crossover from being skeptical to being a ****. It's been long established that LTF at one time had relation inside the organization to a fairly high degree. Acknowledging this doesn't need to change your opinion of events, so let's leave the unpleasantry outside the conversation so just clean disagreement can exist.

Just my two cents no one asked for.

OP
OP
AKCheese

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry - I’m not the one who said - no you’re wrong because I know better because - as it turns out - his godson dated a girl who’s dad wrote a report for TT - and he met a couple people at a BBQ. LOL And personally there’s nothing personal here - there never EVER is with me. I’m was just skeptical of this “insider info” declaration - and I got clarification. Godson dated a girl whose dad worked in 1265. Went to a picnic Favre’s wife attended. That’s great clarification and I’m sorry for involving a bowling team. “Godson dated a girl once whose dad …” c’mon - you gotta admit that’s funny. I wonder if NFL investigators followed that “hot tip”. The NFL found that Favre had talked to Darrell Bevell who coached for the Packers for 5 years and was also a personal friend of Favres. That’s not tampering folks. (And that’s what NFL investigators said) Maybe if they had talked to the godson’s dates dad?

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Via Yardbarker, Matt Schneidman from the Athletic is reporting (I don't have a subscription) that Bakhtiari is going to be a cap casualty cut very soon. No indication of any restructure, trade or injury settlement. It appears there could be two likely options after the cut: Bakhtiari signs with another team like the Jets; or, his agent calls around and sees poor interest where he them presses for an injury settlement. If he gets a settlement that would prevent him from playing a corresponding number of games in 2024. He could try to find a team for a portion of the season not blocked by the settlement or just take the settlement and then conclude later that he gave it his all and decide to hang up the cleats.

Maybe he would decide to retire after a cut but I doubt it. All indications point to Bakhtiari's days in Green Bay are finished if the reporting is accurate.

Reaction score
I wish Bak well. It’s a tough contract “out” but it’s the smart thing to do.
The Packers are finally in a position to move on from the old regime in full. IMO we should follow this with Campbell getting a Post June Designation. These 2 moves alone free up nearly $32,000,000 in cap space. That’s a big number for a guy (Bak) who doesn’t play and another guy (Campbell) who’s not playing anywhere close to his contract.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah, damn... yeah, OldSchool is right; it is a really sad way for it to go, but it also is the smart play.

He's been a huge part of the Packer family for a decade, and one of the best teammates any man can be. A locker room god. Those of us who've played sports know that on every good team, there are always a couple guys where (when someone new joins the team) coaches and teammates point at those couple of players and say, "See that guy? Watch what he does, and be like him." Bakhtiari was one of those guys for years, and that's priceless. He has done a lot to help create and nourish the insitutional culture that has pushed the Packers to the point where we are today. A lot more than most.

I feel for the man. Dude spent 10 years ripping the cartilage and ligaments in his knees out by the roots being Aaron Rodger's blindside pit bull, and now just when we're on the cusp of winning another Lombardi, we have no choice but to toss him aside because he can't help us today. Possibly just a year short of him finally getting the ring he has earned more than most people ever have.

I'm not saying the Packers are wrong for making this move - they're not. If they think this is the move that makes the most sense, then they have to pull the trigger, and in a strange, sad way I'm proud of them for doing it. But damn, it's a painfully poignant O. Henry illustration of how cold the business side of the game can be.

But at the same time... again; business is business. It ain't a matter of Green Bay being ****s. One of the reasons we've come to the point where this is the only sensible business decision for Green Bay to make is that he and his agents have shrewdly crafted his last 2 contracts to protect him from the bottom dropping out because of injuries. He got his protections, and his huge dead cap, but now there's no wiggle room for Green Bay to work out a way to keep him and still have money for free agents while loading for a Super Bowl season.

There are no bad guys here, it just is what it is.

Have to say, though.... it would be kinda cool if (if he can't catch on with another team), Packers can bring him back on the staff in some contingency. Sonething where he can share his expertise, and also earn a ring he helped us get in position for.

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute has been remarkably patient with Bahktiari's injury situation. While Gute's patience was probably influenced by the hope of some return on the huge contract investment, he's missed 45 games. Other GM's may have cut bait sooner even if they only had other tackles with iffy capability of playing LT. I think most people understand that football is a rough sport and injuries are bound to happen but I still think the Packers have way too many non- contact injuries. Wish Bahktiari the best. He deserves good luck after his awful string of failed surgeries.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Kinda wish the Packers had taken some token trade offer after preseason ended. Nothing more than a day 3 and confirming the first for AR12 if the jest were the patsies. Hindsight I know.

Reaction score
Kinda wish the Packers had taken some token trade offer after preseason ended. Nothing more than a day 3 and confirming the first for AR12 if the jest were the patsies. Hindsight I know.
its possible they may have tried that but likely only if it helped our Cap situation or got us a substantial selection something like an exchange of Rounds at minimum.
Obviously he’s a precarious gamble for anything meaningful. That includes any team as he’s barely able to stay on the field. It becoming distracting to our cause is my interpretation.

Members online

Latest posts