Which Team Is Really Actually Our Biggest Divisional Opponent Threat?

Which Team Is Really Actually Our Biggest Divisional Opponent Threat?

• Detroit

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • Minny

Votes: 39 61.9%
  • Chicago

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was supposed to be the Vikings but after last night I am not sure. Their run defense looked worse than the Packers. They had little to no pass rush. Their offensive line play was terrible on the run and pass. Bridgewater checks down more than any qb I have seen. Most of his completions were within 3 yards of the line of scrimmage. Peterson looked rusty and didnt look good as a shotgun back. Their field goal kicker has the yips. Maybe they can turn it around but that was not a good 49ers team. A good team would have been up 20 at the half. The 49ers kept the Vikings in that game

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers will run away with the North. Lions will provide at least a decent challenge @Detroit, but other than that, nope. We'll probably go 7-1 or 8-0 within our division.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dumping off short passes. LOL. You guys crack me up. Teddy's number from last year. Dumping off short passes.

From 2014. Percentage of Passes thrown behind the line of scrimmage up to the 10 yard down field.

Bridgewater. 71.9%

From 2012-2014 Percentage of Passes thrown behind the line of scrimmage up to the 10 yard down field.

Rodgers. 67.7%

Yup, he's learning from the best. BTW, 65% to 70% is pretty common for all the top QB's in dumping off passes.

Deep Pass attempts past 30 yards downfield.

Bridgewater 2014 5.9%

Rodgers 2012-2014 3.1%

You realize a pass between 10-30 yards is not a dump off right? 30% of Rodgers passes are in that area. I would consider passes under 5 yards from the line as the issue. That was 8 of Bridgewater's first 11 or 12 passes and most of those were not resulting in first downs. Dump offs are fine when they result in first downs but Teddy lead them on zero drives of more than 6 plays until the 4th quarter field goal! Even in the drive right before the half he threw an awful hail mary and then they didnt even throw to the end zone after a penalty.
His interception was were people see an issue. He doesnt fit a ball into coverage past 5 yards. It floats on him. He will throw his pop fly deep ball but he does not throw on a line at all.

I think he is a smart enough guy to be a solid nfl qb but his arm is below average. He can have nice tough but he does not throw a ball on a line

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers will run away with the North. Lions will provide at least a decent challenge @Detroit, but other than that, nope. We'll probably go 7-1 or 8-0 within our division.

After beating the Lions, Vikings, and Bears to go 6-0, how do we get other two wins? :)

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the Packers have a rival outside of the Seattle Seahawks. Bears might win 4 games, Lions 7 games and Vikings 8 games.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
BTW, it's waaaaaaay too early to call.

Raptorman, surely you were not satisfied with last night's results, were you??? Let's hear from you about what went wrong (or right if you actually are satisfied that Bridgewater performed adequately).
Well, the O-line needs more work. I think the Niners defense really threw some new formations at Bridgewater that he was not expecting. They disguised them pretty well. Teddy had a couple of passes sail on him, which is what we saw at the start of last year. But he took care of it then. I think he will be fine. Why they stopped feeding the Ball to Peterson is beyond me. The guy needs 20+ carries a game to make a difference. I think our pass secondary defense did ok, The pass rush needs some work. Although, what I saw from Kaep was not the same as what he did last year. There were several times I was sure he was gong to run and he pulled up and passed the ball. He is a hard one to contain. I think not having film on the Niners defense really hurt in the preparation of the game as far as the coaches go.

Sky King

Reaction score
Well, the O-line needs more work. I think the Niners defense really threw some new formations at Bridgewater that he was not expecting. They disguised them pretty well. Teddy had a couple of passes sail on him, which is what we saw at the start of last year. But he took care of it then. I think he will be fine. Why they stopped feeding the Ball to Peterson is beyond me. The guy needs 20+ carries a game to make a difference. I think our pass secondary defense did ok, The pass rush needs some work. Although, what I saw from Kaep was not the same as what he did last year. There were several times I was sure he was gong to run and he pulled up and passed the ball. He is a hard one to contain. I think not having film on the Niners defense really hurt in the preparation of the game as far as the coaches go.
Peterson did not seem to thrive in the shotgun at all. Hyde had a pretty good game against the Vike's D, which was a surprise. No knock on Hyde. Preseason expectations for the D were not met last night from what I saw. Same with Bridgewater.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a strong arm is necessary to qb in the NFL today, Bridgewater is not the answer for the purple. Detroit is the only team in the division that can give us trouble

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
The Vikings looked awful Monday night but their HC and OC both know how to game plan against us schematically. AP is struggling to run from their current sets. By the time we see him they will have adjusted for him and start running a variety of I formation and split back sets. If he gets going he always gives us fits.

Chicago won't win on Turkey day and the Lions don't have enough horse's this year. But AP on turf in that half baked college stadium will be the game I would worry about.

D

Deleted member 6794

Dumping off short passes. LOL. You guys crack me up. Teddy's number from last year. Dumping off short passes.

From 2014. Percentage of Passes thrown behind the line of scrimmage up to the 10 yard down field.

Bridgewater. 71.9%

From 2012-2014 Percentage of Passes thrown behind the line of scrimmage up to the 10 yard down field.

Rodgers. 67.7%

I really have no idea where you've got the numbers from but according to PFF only 30.4% of Bridgewater's throws travelled for more than 10 yards in the air last season.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I really have no idea where you've got the numbers from but according to PFF only 30.4% of Bridgewater's throws traveled for more than 10 yards in the air last season.
I get my numbers for ESPN stats page. And that is about what I got. I got 28.1%. According to my numbers Rodgers only had 32.3% of his passes go farther than 10 yards. What does PFF say about him? If I am correct, most QB's don't throw more than 30-35% of their passes deeper than 10 yards.

D

Deleted member 6794

I get my numbers for ESPN stats page. And that is about what I got. I got 28.1%. According to my numbers Rodgers only had 32.3% of his passes go farther than 10 yards. What does PFF say about him? If I am correct, most QB's don't throw more than 30-35% of their passes deeper than 10 yards.

PFF has Rodgers at 36.6%. The huge difference is the TD/INT ratio on those passes with Rodgers at 8.00 (24 TD, 3 INT) compared to Bridewater at 1.00 (7 TD, 7 INT).

I'm absolutely convinced Bridgewater will turn out nothing else than a below average starter.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFF has Rodgers at 36.6%. The huge difference is the TD/INT ratio on those passes with Rodgers at 8.00 (24 TD, 3 INT) compared to Bridewater at 1.00 (7 TD, 7 INT).

I'm absolutely convinced Bridgewater will turn out nothing else than a below average starter.
I'm not a stat guy, I generally rely on the eye test.
But I do pay attention when you post stats, could you provide that same comparison with Stafford?

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not a stat guy, I generally rely on the eye test.
But I do pay attention when you post stats, could you provide that same comparison with Stafford?

34.9% of Stafford's throws travelled more than 10 yards in the air last season. He threw 16 TD and 11 INT on those attempts.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you gotta keep the competitor as Minny because something is just dead wrong in Detroit right now. I don't know if it's that defenses are so locked into Calvin Johnson they're willing to let Golden Tate go one on one with any of their corners, I don't know if Detroit's O-line has just gone so bad they can't block for Stafford anymore. I know without Suh being gone has affected them up front, and DeAndre Levy has been out two weeks now, but in an 0-2 hole, the Lions once again fail to build on a successful year. And you start to wonder if the Ford family is too meddlesome on that team. But after that bad start, Minny got it rolling and is the team we gotta look out for.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stop ap and you beat the vikings. That simple. That passing game even efficient like sunday won't beat you. Over one quarter of their passing yards came on a flip to ap when protection broke down.

Detroit kept shoot themselves in the foot. Take away the first half against SD amd they might look like one of the worst teams out there

Sky King

Reaction score
The Vike's D is very good and they will need to be the constant because the O looks like it's still trying to find its identity. Not unexpected with the relatively limited time both AP and Bridgewater, et. al., have worked together. AP and Bridgewater each seem to play their best out of different formations. Unless they find a comfortable median they will not be unstoppable. They definitely have playoff potential if that O gets in sync and they are fortunate enough to avoid injuries to their key personnel. At this early juncture they look well ahead of Chicago, and to a lesser degree, Detroit.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vike's D is very good and they will need to be the constant because the O looks like it's still trying to find its identity. Not unexpected with the relatively limited time both AP and Bridgewater, et. al., have worked together. AP and Bridgewater each seem to play their best out of different formations. Unless they find a comfortable median they will not be unstoppable. They definitely have playoff potential if that O gets in sync and they are fortunate enough to avoid injuries to their key personnel. At this early juncture they look well ahead of Chicago, and to a lesser degree, Detroit.

Not sure what that d has done to be considered very good. SF went up and down the field on them. They held Detroit in check by forcing turnovers. However their defense hasn't played any better than the Packers thus far considering opponents. Would you say the Packers have a very good defense. The Vikings defensive issues start at getting off the field. They gave up over a 50% on third and fourth down yesterday. Good offenses will take advantage of that

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may have to start eating crow about the Vikings defense as they beat up the Chargers. Their dine dominated that game. When Rivers had time he had open receivers but that wasn't very often. It is hard to get a good read on the Vikings because their opponents are just 1-5 in games not against the Vikings aND that win was the Chargers over Detroit.

AP looks close to his normal self. Chargers have a poor run defense but he put the hurt on them. The Vikings passing game is still brutal. They are last in yards and tds. They lack explosive plays. They had one big play all year when Bridgewater was getting pressured and flipped it to ap and he ran 49 yards. Outside of that play they are averaging 5.4 ypa.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Minnesota at this point is the only reasonable answer. Chicago is a dumpster fire and the Lions havent figured out what they are. The Lions are still dangerous and have talent across the board, but they very much miss Levy

D

Deleted member 6794

I may have to start eating crow about the Vikings defense as they beat up the Chargers. Their dine dominated that game. When Rivers had time he had open receivers but that wasn't very often. It is hard to get a good read on the Vikings because their opponents are just 1-5 in games not against the Vikings aND that win was the Chargers over Detroit.

AP looks close to his normal self. Chargers have a poor run defense but he put the hurt on them. The Vikings passing game is still brutal. They are last in yards and tds. They lack explosive plays. They had one big play all year when Bridgewater was getting pressured and flipped it to ap and he ran 49 yards. Outside of that play they are averaging 5.4 ypa.

The Vikings still don´t have a win against a quality opponent. If they´re able to go into Denver next week and get a W there I will change my mind about them. But until that happens they´re an average team at best IMO.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MN's defense looked like they came to play yesterday, but then I don't follow SD and don't have an opinion on them. I did notice they were very thin at the OL. Did that have something to do with it? I don't know. I do know that if they get pressure like that against us, it could be a long day. There weren't many places to step or our to avoid pressure. It came up the middle and from the sides and seemed to move as a unit and if one guy broke free on the right, there was one coming from the left too with the middle still moving back int he qb's face.

I don't think our offense is a poor as SD's looked by a long shot and I think we'd hit some big plays in those situations that would completely change the defensive mindset, but I can't deny, they looked pretty good yesterday.