Which Team Is Really Actually Our Biggest Divisional Opponent Threat?

Which Team Is Really Actually Our Biggest Divisional Opponent Threat?

• Detroit

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • Minny

Votes: 39 61.9%
  • Chicago

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While there is no gimme on us winning the division and I expect to be able to do it again, I still got a feeling our division will be where at least one of the wildcard playoff spots is going in the playoffs again and I think we'll be having some competition to win this. Now if you had asked me all offseason who our biggest challenger here was, I'd have said no-brainer it's Detroit. But after yesterday you gotta start asking questions about those Lions. Going up 21-3 there, blowing it and looking like Jim Schwartz had come back to coach again. Now it's early in the season and there's a lot we don't know, such as maybe Stafford's injury there was more serious than we thought and that had more to do with the collapse than anything else, maybe Ndamakung Suh leaving and DeAndre Levy being out hurt their defense more than they thought, and maybe the Chargers are better than we think in a division where Peyton Manning is in the twilight of his career and possibly even his last year of football, maybe they're going to make a run at trying to steal it from the Chiefs. But yet again it seems like the story has played out this way before for Detroit and maybe they aren't the biggest threat this year.

We could all possibly be overlooking the Vikings, a team that for all the rebuilding Mike Zimmer was doing last year probably got about all they could have hoped for out of Bridgewater, and I personally thought he did pretty good for them given those circumstances. Now Adrian Peterson is back and as much as I hate to think of it, you put him back there with Teddy Bridgewater, that could be dangerous because with Christian Ponder, you never had a QB that defenses could respect the pass with so they'd just load the box and hone in on AD, but with Bridgewater I think you do gotta respect the pass and I certainly hope we are ready to bring our A-game against these guys now. I'm even going to be bold enough to say they beat San Francisco on the road tonight.

And Chicago, I know we'll all say our defense is to blame for Matt Forte and their running game yesterday, and I know Jay Cutler continued to do against us what Brett Favre always did against them after Lovie Smith took over. But I think long term we'd better take care because John Fox has a proven track record of turning teams around. And their O-line I think really has improved this year, to me they looked much better than the junk Lovie Smith and Marc Trestman left out there, so that could be something to look out for going forward, they will become more competitive.

As for right now, I don't think Detroit has lost all mojo, I think they might be finishing around 9-7 or so, but I'm beginning to think this year Minnesota might finish ahead of them right behind us. I'm going out on a limb but I think they might be a bit more dangerous than you think, depending on how their defense plays.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the Packers will fairly easy win the division again with the Lions finishing in second. I don't buy into the hype about the Vikings and the Bears, while being improved because of their coaching staff, don't have enough talent to not finish in last.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never bought into the Lions hype but I do think the viking could be improved if Bridgewater can take the next step. I also think that most people here have a real tendency to discount the Bears just because they are the hated Chicago Bears (although a lot of national media pundits agree that the Bears are awful)

That said I think the vikings finish second and the Lions and Bears fight it out for last but to be honest I could see 2.3.4 going in any order.

H

HardRightEdge

Judging from the box score, San Diego ran roughshod over the Detroit D. Detroit collecting 3 turnovers didn't stop SD from scoring 33 points on 483 yds. and 28 first downs. S.D. had drives of 73, 80, 73, 70 and 86 yards.

So far, Minnesota looks like the default...until tonight's game concludes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Vikings are a team on the rise. If Bridgewater improves in his second year and if Peterson plays as expected, they will be a formidable offensive threat, their defense is suspect though. Detroit is categorically the same. I have a feeling about Chicago. The packer players said that their defense was much more complex than last season and if cutler gets it going, they could be a tough team towards the end of the season, so I'm going to say that Chicago is the team in our division we have to worry about the most.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Always worried about Detroit... But they took on coaches personality

Now with new coaches may just help turn them

Vikings are on rise... But need to get ap help.. Bridgewater seems to have something...

Bears nothing...

So for more it's a tie, lions and viks

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Lions, they have a decent offense and their coach send pretty level headed. I think the Vikings look good on paper but won't adjust to having Peterson back as well as they think.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think we should be threatened by anyone in the nfcn this season. The divisional games will be tough like usual, but I'd be surprised if we didn't win the division by at least 2 games

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would go Lions, Vikes then Bears. Lions lost to a good team yesterday. Don't discount them yet. Vikes are getting better but still have a second year QB. Bears just don't have enough yet.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
After watching the first half of the Vikings 9'ers game, not too concerned anymore about the Vikings. Maybe an off night, but really, this team is improved? Feels like I am watching the 4th quarter of a Preseason game.

This year, I think the Lions will be our closest competition in the Division.

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching the Vikes tonight, they'll got a lot of work to do. The bears are simply a big question mark, Cutker was still running for his life on Sunday, even though he wasn't getting sacked all the time. The Lions though after leading 21-3 and to lose 33-28 seem to have problems on defense and offense. Hard to tell after one week is our biggest challenge to that 5th strait division title. But the Lions still pose the biggest threat, and Ford Field has been a nightmare for the Packers as of late.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You forgot one....

The Packers are the biggest threat to the Packers. No one in the division beats us, only complete and utter failure by the Packers causes the to lose the division.

D

Deleted member 6794

I´ve posted several times this offseason that I don´t buy into the hype about the Vikings but even I was shocked how bad they looked vs. the Niners. As I´ve mentioned above the Packers will comfortably win the division this season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Detroit will be very tough if we don't rush the passer well. That said, division opponent games are often very competitive and should never be taken lightly.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Vikings are a team on the rise. If Bridgewater improves in his second year and if Peterson plays as expected, they will be a formidable offensive threat, their defense is suspect though. Detroit is categorically the same. I have a feeling about Chicago. The packer players said that their defense was much more complex than last season and if cutler gets it going, they could be a tough team towards the end of the season, so I'm going to say that Chicago is the team in our division we have to worry about the most.

Looking at the results of the Vikings first game.....Bridgewater didn't improve and Peterson didn't play as expected.

D

Deleted member 6794

Looking at the results of the Vikings first game.....Bridgewater didn't improve and Peterson didn't play as expected.

Bridgewater was terrible in yesterday´s loss to the Niners. His "accuracy" is the result of mostly dumping off short passes to wide open receivers but as soon as he has to throw it downfield he´s getting into trouble. The interception was absolutely brutal.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked Bridge's hail mary at the end of the half. He's got a weaker arm than Manning--without having had 100 neck surgeries.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´ve posted several times this offseason that I don´t buy into the hype about the Vikings but even I was shocked how bad they looked vs. the Niners. As I´ve mentioned above the Packers will comfortably win the division this season.

I think a lot of it, and predictably so was that in theory Peterson should make defenses respect the run again with his return, and that doing so should open up the field for a growing Bridgewater.

Thing is there's still other questions to be answered about last night. I admit I said the 49ers were going to be really bad this year because of Harbaugh leaving and other players, but I could have written them off way too early and they may have been out to make a statement last night that they weren't about to go anywhere. And who knows, we could've all been wrong about Tomsula. At the same time, obviously the Vikings have not faced defenses regularly who are as physical as the 9ers and they looked very overwhelmed by that. Only time will tell where Teddy B goes from there but that certainly did not help his confidence. I don't know though, it's early and they still might get it together at some point.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'd say the Lions. I think the Vikings and Bears are coming on, but right now it's the Lions. BTW, keep in mind both the Lions and Vikings played against decent/good teams on the road. But right now the Packers are ALL ALONE on top of the division with a one game lead on all of them! ;)

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As of now, it appears to be Detroit, by default. The Bears are rebuilding, and I have no idea what the Vikings are trying to do.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
could lose to any one of them on any given sunday, but detroit and minnesota are the only challengers for the division. i don't think either pose *that* much of a challenge though, and we ought to take the north for the 7th or w/e year straight.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Bridgewater was terrible in yesterday´s loss to the Niners. His "accuracy" is the result of mostly dumping off short passes to wide open receivers but as soon as he has to throw it downfield he´s getting into trouble. The interception was absolutely brutal.
Dumping off short passes. LOL. You guys crack me up. Teddy's number from last year. Dumping off short passes.

From 2014. Percentage of Passes thrown behind the line of scrimmage up to the 10 yard down field.

Bridgewater. 71.9%

From 2012-2014 Percentage of Passes thrown behind the line of scrimmage up to the 10 yard down field.

Rodgers. 67.7%

Yup, he's learning from the best. BTW, 65% to 70% is pretty common for all the top QB's in dumping off passes.

Deep Pass attempts past 30 yards downfield.

Bridgewater 2014 5.9%

Rodgers 2012-2014 3.1%

Sky King

Reaction score
Dumping off short passes. LOL. You guys crack me up. Teddy's number from last year. Dumping off short passes.

From 2014. Percentage of Passes thrown behind the line of scrimmage up to the 10 yard down field.

Bridgewater. 71.9%

From 2012-2014 Percentage of Passes thrown behind the line of scrimmage up to the 10 yard down field.

Rodgers. 67.7%

Yup, he's learning from the best. BTW, 65% to 70% is pretty common for all the top QB's in dumping off passes.

Deep Pass attempts past 30 yards downfield.

Bridgewater 2014 5.9%

Rodgers 2012-2014 3.1%
Wow! I guess they handed out the MVP award to the wrong guy. :confused:

Sky King

Reaction score
BTW, it's waaaaaaay too early to call.

Raptorman, surely you were not satisfied with last night's results, were you??? Let's hear from you about what went wrong (or right if you actually are satisfied that Bridgewater performed adequately).

Members online

Latest posts