Which Team Is Really Actually Our Biggest Divisional Opponent Threat?

Which Team Is Really Actually Our Biggest Divisional Opponent Threat?

• Detroit

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • Minny

Votes: 39 61.9%
  • Chicago

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MN's defense looked like they came to play yesterday, but then I don't follow SD and don't have an opinion on them. I did notice they were very thin at the OL. Did that have something to do with it? I don't know. I do know that if they get pressure like that against us, it could be a long day. There weren't many places to step or our to avoid pressure. It came up the middle and from the sides and seemed to move as a unit and if one guy broke free on the right, there was one coming from the left too with the middle still moving back int he qb's face.

I don't think our offense is a poor as SD's looked by a long shot and I think we'd hit some big plays in those situations that would completely change the defensive mindset, but I can't deny, they looked pretty good yesterday.

Ive been following them because I want to see at least one badger running back succeed in the NFL. Anyways from what Ive seen their Oline is absolutely atrocious, terrible at pass blocking and not very good in the run blocking department either. Their OL problem is further compounded by an OC who insists on rolling out spread sets all game long, it'll be a miracle if Phillip Rivers is not literally killed during the season. Rivers is still an elite talent but he rarely has time to even set his feet to throw. Melvin Gordon has looked superb when he's had competent blocking but he usually has 1-2 defenders in the backfield with him as soon as he gets the hand off.

I suspect that their O could improve some if their OC goes to a more conservative pro-style offense and starts rolling out more running sets. They should be able to scheme some additional time for Rivers that way... it remains to be seen if they'll make such adjustments.

Last edited:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the one reason I wouldnt be extremely afraid of Minnesota right now. If we can run the ball on Minnesota like we did last year then their pass rush will slow down. They were able to make Detroit and SD one dimensional but both those teams had severely injured offensive lines. Telling stat for Minnesota's defense is they are still giving up a 45% 3rd down conversion rating (they only convert 34%). Now the Packers are currently at 53% so they obviously have their work cut out as well but it is hard to say a team giving up 45% and nearly 50% when you add in fourth downs is an elite defense.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see the Vikes catching us, I just think they finish ahead of Chicago and Detroit for sure. Chicago isn't that much of a surprise, Fox and the GM are going to need to do some overhauling on that team to get it up to snuff considering how far down the Bears fell last year. Detroit is still the bafflement to me though, such as how their O-line got so bad in one year. I think Stafford is off his game now from all those beatings he's taken, but it's just crazy though, really thought Caldwell had a real monster to be reckoned with coming into this season, but now 3 full games behind us and 2 games behind Minny, that's pretty bad. I'm starting to think that until the Ford family sells the team, they're going to continue that cycle.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not inconceivable that the Lions could go 0-5, which the Seahawks and Cardinals up next. That would certainly remove them from the playoff picture, if they aren't out already.

I think it's the Vikings, by a long shot. Great defense. They crushed San Diego last week, and played us tough last year. They nearly beat us in Minny, and played us tougher than the score indicates at Lambeau. They also started Ponder that game, who was awful. Completely different team with Bridgewater. It seems to me that the Vikings defense matches up well with the Packers offense, much like Zimmer's defenses did the handful of times we've played Cincinnati.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's not inconceivable that the Lions could go 0-5, which the Seahawks and Cardinals up next. That would certainly remove them from the playoff picture, if they aren't out already.

I think it's the Vikings, by a long shot. Great defense. They crushed San Diego last week, and played us tough last year. They nearly beat us in Minny, and played us tougher than the score indicates at Lambeau. They also started Ponder that game, who was awful. Completely different team with Bridgewater. It seems to me that the Vikings defense matches up well with the Packers offense, much like Zimmer's defenses did the handful of times we've played Cincinnati.

The Packers led 42-0 vs. the Vikings after three quarters last year at Lambeau. While I agree that having to play Ponder hurt Minnesota the final score actually could have been even more lopsided.

Having Peterson back this season certainly improves their offense but I really don't get the hype about Bridgewater.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Their offense hasn't been ****, but it's been fairly effective. Week one, he was all over the place with the ball, but he's been better since. He doesn't have to be Rodgers for them to win. It seems they do just enough to move the chains. If we get out early, then it can be a blowout. If we don't, well we could easily lose.

I think the Chiefs will give us a good barometer tonight. Same sort of team and I expect tonight to be a pretty good game.

D

Deleted member 6794

Their offense hasn't been ****, but it's been fairly effective. Week one, he was all over the place with the ball, but he's been better since. He doesn't have to be Rodgers for them to win. It seems they do just enough to move the chains. If we get out early, then it can be a blowout. If we don't, well we could easily lose.

Bridgewater doesn't have to be an elite QB for the Vikings to win but if they continue to be ranked dead last in passing yards and TDs I don't expect them to win a ton of games.

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as AP is heating up The Vikings will be a threat, Detroit on the other hand....Major issues with out Levy, but they did do better if you want to call it that against Denver. The Biggest problem is the OC and the play calling that always puts them in 3rd and long. They do not try long passes hardly at all until they are losing at the end of the game. As it stands right now GB just has to take care of the Vikings and they should be Division champs.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They nearly beat us in Minny, and played us tougher than the score indicates at Lambeau

Apparently the two of us are remembering the game at Lambeau VERY differently.

I remember taking off of work early to watch the game and it being over by halftime

Sky King

Reaction score
The Bears will need more time to rebuild.

The Lions are talented but never seem to be able to pull it all together. They'll pick up more talent in the upcoming draft and probably still end up with another lousy OL.

I wouldn't go to sleep on the Vikes. They're learning how to win despite their shortcomings. Definitely the best of the three at this point of the season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Detroit would lose their minor league attitude and play when they lost their grade school coach. They haven't.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Minny scares me the most. Bears are just pitiful and Detroit is looking confused.

Chicago has already mailed it in for the year. Detroit's OL is a mess and Minny well they'll be tough but they're still the same old Vikes. 8 in the box and dare Teddy to beat you up top, they'll score points but they won't be able to keep up.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Minnesota is the best of the 3 but if our run D keeps playing like it has the last 2 weeks and Guion comes back strong im not all that confident that they'll score 20 points TOTAL against us in the 2 games we'll play them with Teddy against our pass rush/secondary

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If our Dline stays healthy, I think we'll be able to keep AP from beating us. Wallace seems like the kind of one trick pony that Shields eats up and for some reason we've been okay dealing with good TEs so far.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if we split the series with Minny it's not enough for them. Barring what the Cardinals do though that could cost us the total number 1 seed. I don't know, I say we for sure take it in Lambeau against them, but at their place .... might be a bit more difficult than we're counting on. At least AP isn't running on turf against us anymore.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers led 42-0 vs. the Vikings after three quarters last year at Lambeau. While I agree that having to play Ponder hurt Minnesota the final score actually could have been even more lopsided.

Having Peterson back this season certainly improves their offense but I really don't get the hype about Bridgewater.

Yes it was a blowout, but the Vikings defense played much better than the score indicates, which is why I argue that it was closer than it seems. After two good drives for TD's to start the game, the Packers managed a grand total of 125 yards with Rodgers at center their next seven drives. Those seven drives included four three and outs. Most of the success the Packers had that game was due to Ponder being completely inept, and the multiple turnovers committed by the Vikings offense, including a pick six to Peppers. Don't get me wrong, the game was not close, but the Vikings defense played solidly for most of the game.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea why anyone is sold on the cardinals. They have played 3 of the worst teams in the league in New Orleans, 9ers, and bears. None of those 3 are going to come close to the playoffs this year. They beat the seahawks and I'll take them seriously

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea why anyone is sold on the cardinals. They have played 3 of the worst teams in the league in New Orleans, 9ers, and bears. None of those 3 are going to come close to the playoffs this year. They beat the seahawks and I'll take them seriously

16-2 last 18 games with Palmer. That's why. Serious contender last seasom before he went down, starting off 9-1. They are a good team.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
16-2 last 18 games with Palmer. That's why. Serious contender last seasom before he went down, starting off 9-1. They are a good team.
So much changes year to year. Im just not sold on them yet. This will change if they beat the seahawks.

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mark my words the Packers biggest threat is the Packers themselves. Sound cool and collective when Jordy went down with the ACL. A short two game rest for Davante Adams and Montgomery can help along the way with Rodgers being targeted a bit more. The Packers are well on their way to a good first month of the season! Go Pack Go.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Mark my words the Packers biggest threat is the Packers themselves. Sound cool and collective when Jordy went down with the ACL. A short two game rest for Davante Adams and Montgomery can help along the way with Rodgers being targeted a bit more. The Packers are well on their way to a good first month of the season! Go Pack Go.
Has been a very good first quarter of the season and many of our younger players have been getting plenty of game time experience. We'll have to deal with injuries but so does 31 other teams and imo, we're better equipped with quality than almost everyone else.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Lions don't beat the Seahawks this weekend, we can probably forget about them till next year. The Vikings look better since they got their kid-beater back, and they could be a wild-card team at season's end. The Bears....well, 'nuff said.

D

Deleted member 6794

Minnesota is the best of the 3 but if our run D keeps playing like it has the last 2 weeks and Guion comes back strong im not all that confident that they'll score 20 points TOTAL against us in the 2 games we'll play them with Teddy against our pass rush/secondary

Our run defense hasn´t given up a lot of yards over the last two games but allowed Charles to run for three touchdowns. They have to improve keeping running backs out of the end zone.

Yes it was a blowout, but the Vikings defense played much better than the score indicates, which is why I argue that it was closer than it seems. After two good drives for TD's to start the game, the Packers managed a grand total of 125 yards with Rodgers at center their next seven drives. Those seven drives included four three and outs. Most of the success the Packers had that game was due to Ponder being completely inept, and the multiple turnovers committed by the Vikings offense, including a pick six to Peppers. Don't get me wrong, the game was not close, but the Vikings defense played solidly for most of the game.

Overall the Vikings defense didn´t allow a ton of yards but a 5.6 yards rushing average and a total of five touchdowns. While I agree their defense is a quality unit they were overwhelmed by the Packers offense that day.

Latest posts