David Bakhtiari

Will Green Bay and Bakhtiari (if healthy)figure out a way to work it out for 2024

• A) Green Bay will move on

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • B) Bakhtiari will refuse to deal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C) Moot point he can’t play

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • D) GB will suck up the cap hit and keep him

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E) GB/DB work it out so he plays but reduces the cap hit

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this guy deserves his own thread based on what he’s done and what he may (or may not) mean to this team next year. Will Green Bay go through the cap gymnastics required to keep him? Will Bakhtiari participate in those gymnastics? Or will they both decide to move on? Maybe we can hear the cap implications of each scenario. I believe Aaron Jones deserves a similar exploration.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So no option that DB agrees to restructure? Because I think that's a strong possibility and most likely a probability if he wants to continue playing at all.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm kinda thinking Bakhtiari will either retire or move on to another contending team. Most of his buds are gone now and I would think he is probably feeling like an outsider looking in. If he can pass a physical, I'm thinking there are contenders that would like to have him but it may not be until mid season when injuries start wrecking teams again. He is a very, very highly skilled player and they do not grow on trees.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So no option that DB agrees to restructure? Because I think that's a strong possibility and most likely a probability if he wants to continue playing at all.
To me it depends on how much of a pay cut we're talking about, and if it's Green Bay where he really wants to be more than anywhere.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Truthfully I never thought about Bahktiari during the second half of the season. I think that he got more media coverage chugging beer at other sporting events than he did on the Packers sideline this season. I doubt that he will be healthy, but if he is, he better be playing for the Vet Minimum with large play incentives.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
AKCheese

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He’s under contract for next year. Releasing him (or trading him) incurs a significant cap hit. Thats my understanding anyway. So does he work with GB to mitigate that? Or stick to his contract - perhaps FORCING his release - or paying his contractual 2024 salary ??? SUPPOSEDLY his latest surgery was the “silver bullet” ,

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He’s under contract for next year. Releasing him (or trading him) incurs a significant cap hit. Thats my understanding anyway. So does he work with GB to mitigate that? Or stick to his contract - perhaps FORCING his release - or paying his contractual 2024 salary ???

We're on the hook for his bonus cap hit either way, we just have to decide how much additional we're willing to invest, how to structure it, and if Bhak is amenable to those terms.

SUPPOSEDLY his latest surgery was the “silver bullet” ,

I've heard this as well. My understanding is that the ACL is fine and has been fine. There was additional issues related to the injury that were missed and/or caused by the surgery. Once these issues were identified, he, his doctors, or both, were trying to avoid this particular procedure because of a longer recovery time AND the hope that as-is was "good enough."

Oops.

If this is the solution he hopes it is and he's willing to adjust his contract structure (I can't see him taking less in total assuming he plays the whole season), I'd be happy to keep him. Losing Nijman, but being able to turn Walker into your swing tackle is a huge win.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of the future decisions will depend upon whether he can resume his career or not. If he can play would he restructure? If not even tho he plays a very coveted position will another team have any inclination to take on his salary and his that reconstructed knee of his? IF he can play we might be stuck with him if just releasing him is a crippling hit on our cap.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trying to work out a deal means that you have faith that the knee is going to work out. His main hit this year I think is in his base salary ($10M and roster bonus $9.5M) so, I don't see much negotiation on this part unless he thinks he will make less than $20M on a 1 year deal if released. No idea what his MV would be if a free agent.

For renegotiation on the Packers side, after 3 years I can't trust that he is finally in a good spot in order to do any multiple year rework. They have a chance to clear out of his cap completely by 2025 and I sure wouldn't want to start dragging even more dead cap into the future for a guy who might not play regardless of the warm fuzzies people might be getting that this last surgery was finally the one.

Rip the band aid off and move on just based on the risk. If he is an All-pro this year, good for him.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to trade him but don't believe we could find a partner since he'll be cut anyway.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
There may be feelers going out on him but I can hardly even imagine that anyone is going to want to take on his contract much less give up something in a trade.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If there is an extension, does that also extend out his $19m cap hit? Could he also forego the roster bonus (not sure why he would) or delay it so another team pays it? I could still see, if the team feels good about it, mutually agreeing to delay the roster bonus until camp opening and rolling it and this years salary into a signing bonus on a 3 year extension with about $20m new money. Maybe guarantee 2025 if he plays 50% snaps this year.

OP
OP
AKCheese

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My understand is they would have to extend him in order to spread out his cap hit. The Packers could spread it out themselves if they release him after June 1?

OP
OP
AKCheese

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It looks like (with a little rounding) his salary is $10M Roster bonus $10M Bonus against 2024 $20M if they cut him. (?) Not sure when the roster bonus is due. Can they designate him as a post 1 June cut - avoid the roster bonus? And spread the $19M over 2 years? If not it looks like our option is take a $20M hit to let him go? Or $30 M to see if he can play (and $10M more if he does?)

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ths is the final year of that horrible, waste of an extension (imho)...no chance of arestructure, just another extension. Either keep him for '24 or save $20.935mil on the cap & cut him.

I don't want to sink another dime into him to MAYBE play again.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38548297/future-unclear-packers-david-bakhtiari-4th-surgery#:~:text=If%20the%20Packers%20release%20or,money%20on%20next%20year's%20cap.

If the Packers release or trade Bakhtiari next offseason, they would save $21.5 million in cap space by wiping out his nonguaranteed base salary ($20.2 million) and bonuses ($1.3 million) for 2024. He would count $19.065 million in dead money on next year's cap.

The Packers could also get rid of Bakhtiari. The first and better option would be trading him. The team would have $19.065 million in dead money, but would open up $21.4 million in cap space. The problem here is to find someone willing to give up draft capital and pay Bakhtiari his 2024 salary

The other option is a regular release. It's the same numbers: $19.065 in dead money, $21.4 in cap savings. As Bakhtiari will be in the last year of his deal and without void years after that, there's no option to apply a post-June 1st designation.

Reaction score
He’s been a good guy. However we’re not here to build a roster on personality. We’re here to find the best guy to produce at each position. Even at his stellar level of play, missing more than 5 contests becomes counterproductive. He’s not been healthy since latter 2020 and we’re getting ready to hit 2024. The only reason we are even dancing is he can file an injury grievance and if awarded he’d get $40Mil, so it’s not as easy as just cutting him.

We need to find a team to perfect a trade and be fully prepared to pay his $19Mil and run like heck

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There may be feelers going out on him but I can hardly even imagine that anyone is going to want to take on his contract much less give up something in a trade.
Someone might if the need is high enough and if Bak can play. David plays at a premium position and when healthy he is one of the best in the business. Both the Packers and Bak got terribly unlucky with this injury. If we outright cut him what are the cap ramifications?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In no way should GB extend Bak. He's cost enough and has shown that you can't rely on him to play with his messed up knee. The only option Gute should consider is to cut Bak, and bring him back with a minimum veteran plus incentives one year deal. I bet that he would balk at that despite getting 19 million in dead cap money. My guess is that he gets cut and either retires or signs with somebody else for a similar incentives laden deal. I just don't think he would play for a team that would cut him and in the process, keep from getting the entire 40 million he would make this year if he played on his current contract.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If we outright cut him what are the cap ramifications?
It is explained in most of this thread. Most notably 2 posts before yours.
The only option Gute should consider is to cut Bak, and bring him back with a minimum veteran plus incentives one year deal. I bet that he would balk at that despite getting 19 million in dead cap money.
He has already been paid the dead cap money. That's why it is called dead cap. To get him to agree to anything I think he needs to be guaranteed at least the roster bonus amount and probably this season's salary and if extending to split up the cap hit, a bit of new money.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is explained in most of this thread. Most notably 2 posts before yours.

He has already been paid the dead cap money. That's why it is called dead cap. To get him to agree to anything I think he needs to be guaranteed at least the roster bonus amount and probably this season's salary and if extending to split up the cap hit, a bit of new money.
Doesn't Bak get the dead cap money after March 1.? Bak's contract calls for nearly 20 million in 2024 dead cap money if he gets cut. If he's already been paid the 20 million, wouldn't that count against a different season than 2024? I know the rules can be quite arcane. Either way, I don't think it changes much in the chances that Bak will be the starting LT next season.

Latest posts