What WRs are back in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said, IMO 3-7 is a toss up right now and Cobb will be out there starting in the slot, I don't see Lazard moving past him. MVS will most likely be your guy opposite Davante. Amari will be active every game to return punts and probably be used in a variety of ways to spell Cobb. I really like Lazard, I just don't see him as a starter just yet, unless he beats out MVS. He jumps ahead of Funchess, if Funchess doesn't make the 53.

Lazard could also end up being traded.

is Lazard a slot receiver? Tbh, before his injury last year he looked like the second best receiver in the team by a wide margin.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
is Lazard a slot receiver? Tbh, before his injury last year he looked like the second best receiver in the team by a wide margin.
Lazard was playing all over last year, not really sure how many snaps out of the slot, but I think MVS is ahead of him if the season started today. Which was kind of my point with saying the 3-7 guys are going to be battling. Predicting an accurate true depth chart now isn't easy at all. Adams, Cobb and Rodgers are all locks to make the 53, but Rodgers may end up being 4th, 5th or 6th on the depth chart. MVS has to be the favorite to be kept, while Lazard and Funchess probably get the other 2 spots (6 WR's). ESB has to have a great preseason and if not, hope the Packers carry 7, trade someone else or there is an injury.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
This is the type of move I've been wanting the Packers to make for several years now. Use a late round draft resource to bring a capable veteran in here.

It's unfortunate that the only reason it happened was to get Rodgers back in the building though.

Rodgers first move as a front office consultant and he's already making a difference :D

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the only potential con is you might lose someone like ESB to another team via waivers. Right now depending on whether the Packers carry 6 or 7 WR's, barring injury or a trade, which is very possible, I see the following as the DC with the potential for spots 3-7 to move around a bit. Odd man out might actually end up being Funchess. He and Amari have no experience with Rodgers, he hasn't played since the first game of 2019 and I believe Funchess has the most expensive contract outside of Adams and Cobb.

1. Adams
2. Cobb
3. MVS
4. A. Rodgers
5. Funchess
6. Lazard
7. ESB
8. The Rest
Kinda tough to know at this point. Just remember our roster over the past few years has been kinda TE heavy which limits how many WRs we keep and may mean we only got 6 at most. Not that that couldn't change but it has kinda become the new norm.

I sure hope not as I think Lazard will be a vital part of GB's receiving group in '22...but with AR helping call the shots it's possible. :(

I've had mixed feelings about Lazard. He certainly has had some coming out parties like last year against the Saints in the regular season, and then in the playoff game vs the Rams. Problem is he has no shows to go with those and thus far I just don't think has done enough to put himself in the irreplaceable category.

Stacking up the WRs outside of Adams, Cobb, and Amari, I think they go something like this

A. MVS - I was a little tough on him early on and understandably his dropped passes do drive some people bonkers. But he has made strides and if this continues I would say he'd be the most likely to get a contract extension out of the current crop.

B. Lazard - like I said I have mixed feelings. Think he needs to be consistently good this year to be seen as viable long term.

C. Funchess - my issue with him is I'd say his production outside of 2017 has been lackluster, and his decision to opt out last year has me skeptical about how much he wants to be a contributor here. Problem is do you just cut this guy before you've even got to see him on the field even if it may mean a wasted signing? Or do you try to make some room for him? Either way I'm not high on this guy.

D. ESB - I think he's the most likely to get cut first of the bunch as Amari is for sure a big upgrade over him, and he's brought very little value to the team so far.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone see on Adams instagram his exchange with Jordy telling him to come back? Jordy was like nope, imma be watching the games like this and then shared a picture of him reclined in a couch with is Packer helmet and jersey on holding a football LOL

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lazard was playing all over last year, not really sure how many snaps out of the slot, but I think MVS is ahead of him if the season started today. Which was kind of my point with saying the 3-7 guys are going to be battling. Predicting an accurate true depth chart now isn't easy at all. Adams, Cobb and Rodgers are all locks to make the 53, but Rodgers may end up being 4th, 5th or 6th on the depth chart. MVS has to be the favorite to be kept, while Lazard and Funchess probably get the other 2 spots (6 WR's). ESB has to have a great preseason and if not, hope the Packers carry 7, trade someone else or there is an injury.

Absolutely zero chance they release MVS

Adams, Cobb, MVS, Lazard, Rodgers

Probably Funchess

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Cobb here now it really is a fight for one spot between Funchess, EQSB, Malik, Winfree, Begelton and a bunch of others...

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seemed to me that Malik did not get a lot of opportunities (I mean the ball did not get thrown to him alot) but that when he did...he came through.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It seemed to me that Malik did not get a lot of opportunities (I mean the ball did not get thrown to him alot) but that when he did...he came through.
Right, but there is a reason he didn't see a lot of opportunities come his way right? He now has 3 new guys (Cobb, Funchess, Rodgers) ahead of him on the depth chart. He would have to just slay it in camp and preseason to get a spot on the roster. Every season we have a few of these guys at every position, just enough potential to hang around from year to year, but not enough talent to break into the starting lineup. Lazard is the closest that an UDFA WR has come to doing that recently in GB and I think even he may not get as many opportunities in 2021 as some expect.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, but there is a reason he didn't see a lot of opportunities come his way right?
Honestly, I don't know that. I would have to watch every play he was in for. And I'm not of the opinion that he could not have been open because ARod didn't throw it to him. I only saw that he did not drop the ball and ran well after the catch.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, but there is a reason he didn't see a lot of opportunities come his way right? He now has 3 new guys (Cobb, Funchess, Rodgers) ahead of him on the depth chart. He would have to just slay it in camp and preseason to get a spot on the roster. Every season we have a few of these guys at every position, just enough potential to hang around from year to year, but not enough talent to break into the starting lineup. Lazard is the closest that an UDFA WR has come to doing that recently in GB and I think even he may not get as many opportunities in 2021 as some expect.

Honestly one impact of Cobb coming here could be the lack of "proving years" for MVS and Lazard heading into a FA and RFA respectively.

Lazard is for sure going to be kept around, because he has at times shown immense promise and I think everyone realizes at worst he is a solid #3, excellent possession receiver that just seems to have a magnet for first down catches as well. The populated room which WR has become in 2021 to me eliminates any kind of high tender having to be spent on Lazard which is awesome.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lazard is for sure going to be kept around, because he has at times shown immense promise and I think everyone realizes at worst he is a solid #3, excellent possession receiver that just seems to have a magnet for first down catches as well. The populated room which WR has become in 2021 to me eliminates any kind of high tender having to be spent on Lazard which is awesome.
Don't get me wrong, I have liked Lazard ever since the 2018 draft when I hoped we would either draft him late or sign him. He will be playing in the NFL for awhile, but as I said in another post, he might be that guy that the Packers get a decent enough offer for that he gets traded before the final 53. I wouldn't call our WR room spectacular, but we have 5-7 guys who could play well enough to earn snaps with other teams.

Now if the Packers feel that Adams is one and done and Cobb is only here for a year, than by all means, Lazard needs to be kept.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Why do you state it as if I definitively said it IS THE deepest he has had? I didn't even say that, I said it is one of the deepest.

IMO this group easily has the potential to argue to be his deepest and most diverse - I believe I'd know what group of WRs someone might argue was deeper (very different than the term better mind you IMO - which also could be where the disconnect exists).

I concur on your Cobb not being much of an upgrade at this point.

Take a look at the receiving corps Rodgers had at his disposal early in his career. The Packers adding Cobb at this point in his career doesn't make this year's group one of the deepest.

At worst, he's much better equip to handle #5 or #6 duties than some of the scrubs we've had on the roster the past several years.

True, the Packers will have to pay him more than $5 million to do that though.

As I said before, I don't think a team should rely on a 3rd round rookie being an average NFL receiver.

Agreed, a team shouldn't rely on a 31-year old receiver to perform on a level similar to several years ago though either.

Not a soul here that I've seen thought he would start. We typically start and run two TE and two WR often in this system. Then depending on the package of a series does that change. Rodgers was without question our purest slot receiver on the roster and until Cobb comes on board for sure the best, or I should say assumed best by most.

The Packers used three receivers on 54.7% of their offensive plays last season.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
True, the Packers will have to pay him more than $5 million to do that though.
Man Captain, you know your stuff. I was reading that the Texans ate $3 million of Cobbs salary. Do you know how much he is getting?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Man Captain, you know your stuff. I was reading that the Texans ate $3 million of Cobbs salary. Do you know how much he is getting?
Unless Cobb takes a further pay cut, he will earn around $5.5 million in Green Bay this season between his base salary and per-game roster bonuses.

Also, this notion that "Texans will pay part of his salary" is kind of misleading. He was already paid that money in guarantees and it represents a dead cap hit for them. So it wasn't like they said "We will take a 6th and pay part of his 2021 Salary".

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless Cobb takes a further pay cut, he will earn around $5.5 million in Green Bay this season between his base salary and per-game roster bonuses.

Also, this notion that "Texans will pay part of his salary" is kind of misleading. He was already paid that money in guarantees and it represents a dead cap hit for them. So it wasn't like they said "We will take a 6th and pay part of his 2021 Salary".
the ESPN article says he'll be just under 3 million for our cap this year and the Texans were paying about 3 million in his salary for this year.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Take a look at the receiving corps Rodgers had at his disposal early in his career. The Packers adding Cobb at this point in his career doesn't make this year's group one of the deepest.

I did look through them all and I even hinted at I bet I might know which one or two you may be considering deeper, there are numerous better but depth however is what I'm discussing. Care to discuss it would be awesome, merely dismissing without discussion is pointless.
The Packers used three receivers on 54.7% of their offensive plays last season.

Yup about half the time, and no one ever stated he was going to consistently be one of them - even before the addition of Cobb.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I have liked Lazard ever since the 2018 draft when I hoped we would either draft him late or sign him. He will be playing in the NFL for awhile, but as I said in another post, he might be that guy that the Packers get a decent enough offer for that he gets traded before the final 53. I wouldn't call out WR room spectacular, but we have 5-7 guys who could play well enough to earn snaps with other teams.

Now if the Packers feel that Adams is one and done and Cobb is only here for a year, than by all means, Lazard needs to be kept.

I wouldn't listen to a trade for Lazard any worse than a 5th rounder. We don't have many WRs at all with contracts beyond this year (cobb now...) and with Lazard being still somewhat affordable being a RFA next off season I suspect he isn't going anywhere UNLESS we work on an Adams deal and convince MVS he is best served here with a reasonable contract extension

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wouldn't listen to a trade for Lazard any worse than a 5th rounder. We don't have many WRs at all with contracts beyond this year (cobb now...) and with Lazard being still somewhat affordable being a RFA next off season I suspect he isn't going anywhere UNLESS we work on an Adams deal and convince MVS he is best served here with a reasonable contract extension
Yes, lots of moving parts to consider with WR's. Cobb and A. Rodgers I believe are the only 2 currently under contract beyond this season. Signing Adams will dictate somewhat of what happens, but in general, the play and health of each guy will be the most important.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed, a team shouldn't rely on a 31-year old receiver to perform on a level similar to several years ago though either.

Nobody is doing that though. A 31 year old, consistent NFL receiver has a FAR greater chance of helping a team than a 3rd round rookie. This is not a difficult thing to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts