Wide Receiver Options

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think many in house saw Rodgers resurgence with all things considered...and to top that off that he wanted to stay in GB. Just from the outside looking in I was 50/50 at that time on both of those items if someone forced me to place a life or death bet I'd have been nervous either bet.
You're not wrong - it wouldn't have been fair to expect Gute (or whoever else) to be able to see the future and foresee Rodgers returning to be a back-to-back MVP level player. While it perhaps wasn't my first choice I understand the reasoning behind thinking it's time to start planning for the post-Rodgers future.

The problem that I have is that it seems like Gute and Co are unwilling to get fully behind either course of action. It's as though they're trying to play both sides, keeping one foot in the "right now window" and another in the "preparing for the future" and in doing so it feels like we're going to end up sacrificing both.

If the front office was really convinced that it was time to move on from Rodgers and that he was on the decline - and they were convinced that Love was "the guy" to take over - enough to trade up to get him - then have some conviction and see that through; Rodgers' resurgence should not have been cause to jettison that plan - if anything Rodgers' return to form should have been seen as a "sell high" opportunity to effectively reset your cap and stock up on picks to surround "your guy" in Love with top-level talent.

And if you're a year or two after drafting Love and aren't totally convinced by him AND Rodgers has returned to form enough that you believe you've got a Super Bowl-capable team, then you need to commit to maximizing that window while you can and go all-in around Rodgers to make that happen.

Now it seems we have effectively closed our championship window for Rodgers by choosing to invest in the future post-Rodgers era (and/or choosing to not spend future assets to invest in the current window) but at the same time have set ourselves up for a much more painful post-Rodgers future by tanking our salary cap to keep him around and will have to make a decision on Love's option with him having hardly played any meaningful downs - either committing big money against the cap to keep him or letting him go and having absolutely nothing at QB whatsoever.

So it is what it is. Not being able to predict Rodgers' resurgence is forgivable, understandable, expected even...but the non-committal decision making that has followed is not IMO. I guess at the heart of it...it feels like for the last few years Gute has been acting as a "reactive" GM rather than a "proactive" one and that's not how it should be, I think. I've said it elsewhere: You're never going to make everyone happy. Go all-in on Rodgers and some will be mad that you've set us up for some barren years once Rodgers has left. Move on from Rodgers and start off your rebuild around Love and some will be mad that you've let such a talented player walk and have chosen to "reset" your team. I get that. Ironically, it seems like Gute is the one who doesn't understand this - who seems to think there exists some course of action that will please everyone, but of course that's just not true.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem that I have is that it seems like Gute and Co are unwilling to get fully behind either course of action. It's as though they're trying to play both sides, keeping one foot in the "right now window" and another in the "preparing for the future" and in doing so it feels like we're going to end up sacrificing both.

This is absolutely nothing but truth IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

The packers will have no cap room to sign a receiver of any consequence and you’re counting on nothing but 2nd year receivers in this scenario. I’m not necessarily disagreeing with this happening, again, lack of cap space means options are limited, but I’m going to guess they prioritize receiver in the draft as well (how many times has THAT been said).

The Packers can create cap space by moving on from Bakhtiari as well as restructuring the deals of Clark, Aaron Jones, Alexander, Preston Smith and extending Gary.

So what that tells us is the last year or two of Rodgers will be mediocrity. And if there is talent that matures it will happen with a new, young untested QB. More mediocrity. The sad reality is that our last window to win a SB was 2019-2021. Now it belongs to others.

Rodgers might be around for another few years to benefit from young players developing.

I don't think many in house saw Rodgers resurgence with all things considered...and to top that off that he wanted to stay in GB. Just from the outside looking in I was 50/50 at that time on both of those items if someone forced me to place a life or death bet I'd have been nervous either bet.

There was absolutely no indication of Rodgers wanting out of Green Bay before Love was drafted.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers can create cap space by moving on from Bakhtiari as well as restructuring the deals of Clark, Aaron Jones, Alexander, Preston Smith and extending Gary.

Rodgers might be around for another few years to benefit from young players developing.

There was absolutely no indication of Rodgers wanting out of Green Bay before Love was drafted.
Rodgers may not want out of Green Bay but to replicate Brady at 45 is very unlikely. His body and reflexes cannot rejuvenate despite his QB reading skills. And his team may make that decision for him whether he likes that or not. We are coming to the crossroads and decisions have to be made. Do we want a 42 or 43 year old QB with young receivers starting to mature or do we want a young QB that matures WITH them?

Reaction score
Rodgers may not want out of Green Bay but to replicate Brady at 45 is very unlikely. His body and reflexes cannot rejuvenate despite his QB reading skills. And his team may make that decision for him whether he likes that or not. We are coming to the crossroads and decisions have to be made. Do we want a 42 or 43 year old QB with young receivers starting to mature or do we want a young QB that matures WITH them?
I think he’ll play 2 more seasons for us or somewhere else and then either a 1 year deal elsewhere or he’ll hang up his cleats

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers option bonus of $58.3 million and his base salary of $1.165 million for next season are fully guaranteed if he doesn't retire.

The Packers won't have any choice to keep him if he wants to play another year. That's aside of trading him but I don't see that happening.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excellent article a few days ago at sportingnews.com. I can't get the link to work, but it's an article in their NFL section by Kevin Skiver titled Packers wide receiver draft mistakes. The mistakes and missed opportunity in the last four drafts are legion, maybe the most egregious being selecting Jay Sternberg er and then watching Washington select Terry McLaren with the next pick.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Excellent article a few days ago at sportingnews.com. I can't get the link to work, but it's an article in their NFL section by Kevin Skiver titled Packers wide receiver draft mistakes. The mistakes and missed opportunity in the last four drafts are legion, maybe the most egregious being selecting Jay Sternberg er and then watching Washington select Terry McLaren with the next pick.
Good points. Not just Sternberger, but we are STILL trying to find a TE

Besides some flashes from Cook, the FO has never done ANYWHERE CLOSE to replacing Finley

In today's NFL, you almost gotta have a competent TE that can get you 45+, 500+ as your starter

Look at the Bills and Chiefs as great examples. Brady with Gronk

I like Tonyan, but I do not believe he is the answer

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am only speculating of course… but I don’t think the Packers had any doubts about Rodgers’ abilites. I do think they were fed up with him. We certainly don’t know everything that was being said and done on the inside, but it has become apparent that Rodgers has trouble maintaining long term relationships. His sudden MVP resurgence forced them to backtrack lest they look like idiots forcing out an MVP. That being said, They should have known better… they had an elite QB regardless of how difficult it was for them, they should have improved the team by getting Rodgers real talent at receiver and sucked it up.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hated that pick. There were some on this board who tried to defend picking him and then keeping him on the roster. We were looking for a Finley type TE and we got him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Here's the link to the article you referenced to.

In today's NFL, you almost gotta have a competent TE that can get you 45+, 500+ as your starter

Tonyan is currently on pace to catch 74 passes for 608 yards this season.

Look at the Bills and Chiefs as great examples.

There's no doubt the Chiefs have an elite tight end in Kelce but Knox hasn't put up better numbers than Tonyan so far.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hated that pick. There were some on this board who tried to defend picking him and then keeping him on the roster. We were looking for a Finley type TE and we got him.
I admit I had hopes for Sternberger and did not mind the pick. I think his main problems were related. He was afraid of taking a big hit and he actually could not withstand taking a big hit. imho

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I admit I had hopes for Sternberger and did not mind the pick. I think his main problems were related. He was afraid of taking a big hit and he actually could not withstand taking a big hit. imho
And you ask. If you play for the Badgers how can you shrink from contact?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's two concussions in two weeks for Watson. We may be needing a replacement for him too next season, as he might have to think about boarding the retirement train soon.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's two concussions in two weeks for Watson. We may be needing a replacement for him too next season, as he might have to think about boarding the retirement train soon.

Not going that route yet, but they should just shut him down for the season to get is mind and body right for next season. Just a lost season since the start.

Is there any point to Watkins on the roster? Might as well have Winfree on the roster

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious Watkins ran the wrong route twice in the end zone leading to incompletions. That's unacceptable from a veteran like him.
...and the wrong route on the 4th down play to Doubs last week. Watkins is consistently one of the WR problems and should be released. Still owe him his salary but might free-up his per game Roster-bonus $$ on the cap. Winfree isn't perfect but at least may run the play that's called much more frequently.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and the wrong route on the 4th down play to Doubs last week. Watkins is consistently one of the WR problems and should be released. Still owe him his salary but might free-up his per game Roster-bonus $$ on the cap. Winfree isn't perfect but at least may run the play that's called much more frequently.
If we were healthy otherwise wouldn’t shock me, but Rodgers does seem to like him and tho.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious Watkins ran the wrong route twice in the end zone leading to incompletions. That's unacceptable from a veteran like him.
You would think being on the roster long enough this season that our QB and receivers would be on the same page by now.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You would think being on the roster long enough this season that our QB and receivers would be on the same page by now.
It's not even about being on the same page, to me it seemed basic WR knowledge. Maybe not, I mean I'm a nobody, but on the first, the defender was lined up inside to take away that slant action or short dig at the goal line. The defender never gave that up, and it left the entire back corner and outside open. Sammy should have taken it.

On the last pass it was the same. It was wide open space back there, break to it rather than sit and fight with the defender for position. They seemed like obvious reads to me.

If there is another receiver running back there, then of course it's not the right read, but you need to know the offensive play calls and it's obvious they don't. or at least some don't. I think this is the stuff Rodgers has been talking about all year.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not even about being on the same page, to me it seemed basic WR knowledge. Maybe not, I mean I'm a nobody, but on the first, the defender was lined up inside to take away that slant action or short dig at the goal line. The defender never gave that up, and it left the entire back corner and outside open. Sammy should have taken it.

On the last pass it was the same. It was wide open space back there, break to it rather than sit and fight with the defender for position. They seemed like obvious reads to me.

If there is another receiver running back there, then of course it's not the right read, but you need to know the offensive play calls and it's obvious they don't. or at least some don't. I think this is the stuff Rodgers has been talking about all year.
Totally agree here.

As a PAID professional NFL wide receiver, you EXPECT these guys to be able to figure this out and be able to adjust to this. It's kind of almost just "common sense" lol

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Touré was open several times deep. Once he makes the play. Twice were terrible throws by Rogers, one that should have been a touchdown was under thrown and another he had to come back and dive for that was under thrown. Down the road he and Doubs could end up all right.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't think that one INT was a terrible throw. you have about a 3' window for a complete pass throwing way down field. It wasn't a perfect in stride pass, that much is certain, but they usually aren't either no matter who the QB is. Sometimes they are, but usually there are adjustments made by the receivers in the route that we don't even see.

Another foot on that ball and it drops right in his hands. If there's not a great play by the DB for detroit flying over there and elevating like that at top speed, it drops in his hands too. So yeah, not perfect, but not terrible either. he puts 2-3 more feet on it and everyone is saying he overthrew him.

At the same time, veteran receivers adjust to that ball and contest it and often catch or draw a penalty many times. I don't expect that from him yet. I do expect more from our QB. The throw could have been better and we needed it to be. But it wasn't really that bad by NFL standards, just kind of depends who's on the other end of it as to the outcome.

Toure is young, i'm not putting much on him, he had a heck of a catch later spinning around and making that grab. Very impressive young man, very impressive.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'm not board with cutting him. I agree with your thought process in terms of redzone routes. He's a speed guy and can stretch the field. There's not much field to stretch inside of the twenty. Give a good route runner a shot when inside that area. Just use Watkins to stretch the field and leave it at that.

Members online

Latest posts