What WRs are back in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have arguably one of the most slot ready WRs that was in the draft this past year as well...and a WR that is very close with Cobb and Cobb has even said has everything to be better than he was.

Adding Cobb is just not needed IMO, but there is value there from the stance of it may be one piece of getting 12 back for a run - it also I would assume will expedite Amari's growth at slot given their close relationship...my only fear is that it may squelch Amari's growth as Cobb will no doubt steal snaps from him.

I will never rely on a 3rd round rookie to be a contributing NFL player at receiver.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will never rely on a 3rd round rookie to be a contributing NFL player at receiver.

To what degree are you meaning though? Our offense will still focus on running through Adams, and then Jones and then most likely Tonyan with a conglomerate of guys vying for that 4th tier spot Dillon, Lazard, MVS, Amari...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't rely on has beens either. Cobb was good, injuries slowed him down and took much of his production. If he wasn't out with one, he was often rendered ineffective with one. Not saying he's useless to us, he's obviously a good player when healthy and has a lot of experience to draw from. I'm not mad he's back by any means, but

Depending on the trade and the contract, this could be ok, or could pretty bad. I know he's only 30, but if his late 20's are any indication of his 30's, we shouldn't be expecting much.

Much like when he was here last time, if he stays healthy, he'll be good enough that's for sure. but at a cost of 10M I'd say no every time.

D

Deleted member 6794

Honestly say they trade for Cobb. Arguably this might be one of the most deep and diverse of skillsets at the position GB has ever had in recent memories. One of the biggest deep threats in MVS, possession type guys in Lazard and Funchess, slot weapons with one a savvy vet and a younger Homerun skilled rookie and a guy in Adams that is literally all around best in the league IMO.

The Packers adding Cobb doesn't make the wide receiving corps one of the deepest the team has had during Rodgers' tenure as the starter.

It'll be nice to have Randall Cobb back on the team, having an actual slot receiver (aside from Adams moonlighting there occasionally) will add another dimension to the offense.

Gutekunst drafted Amari Rodgers to line up in the slot. I don't consider Cobb a significant upgrade at this point in his career.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers adding Cobb doesn't make the wide receiving corps one of the deepest the team has had during Rodgers' tenure as the starter.

Gutekunst drafted Amari Rodgers to line up in the slot. I don't consider Cobb a significant upgrade at this point in his career.

Why do you state it as if I definitively said it IS THE deepest he has had? I didn't even say that, I said it is one of the deepest.

IMO this group easily has the potential to argue to be his deepest and most diverse - I believe I'd know what group of WRs someone might argue was deeper (very different than the term better mind you IMO - which also could be where the disconnect exists).

I concur on your Cobb not being much of an upgrade at this point.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
At worst, he's much better equip to handle #5 or #6 duties than some of the scrubs we've had on the roster the past several years.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As I said before, I don't think a team should rely on a 3rd round rookie being an average NFL receiver.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't rely on has beens either. Cobb was good, injuries slowed him down and took much of his production. If he wasn't out with one, he was often rendered ineffective with one. Not saying he's useless to us, he's obviously a good player when healthy and has a lot of experience to draw from. I'm not mad he's back by any means, but

Depending on the trade and the contract, this could be ok, or could pretty bad. I know he's only 30, but if his late 20's are any indication of his 30's, we shouldn't be expecting much.

Much like when he was here last time, if he stays healthy, he'll be good enough that's for sure. but at a cost of 10M I'd say no every time.

He's 31 years old. Now, I'm assuming he's taking a significant paycut when I discuss this; at 31, and with the performance he put up with Dallas in 2019, I don't consider him to be a has-been. He's certainly not an elite player but he's pretty much an average NFL slot receiver at this point. Plus, if bringing him in also helped bring Rodgers in, then it's a definite positive signing.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To what degree are you meaning though? Our offense will still focus on running through Adams, and then Jones and then most likely Tonyan with a conglomerate of guys vying for that 4th tier spot Dillon, Lazard, MVS, Amari...

I don't think a 3rd round rookie would be more than 5th or 6th on the depth chart at receiver in an average NFL receiving room. I would prefer the team have a player who can outperform Lazard in the slot.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reading through the Cobb comments, I just gotta say the degree to which fans assume a 3rd round rookie is going to be a startable receiver in the NFL is surprising.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
As I said before, I don't think a team should rely on a 3rd round rookie being an average NFL receiver.
Average? Doubt he will even be THAT good his first year. I don't mean to knit pick, but Adams, Cobb, Nelson and many others didn't really start performing well until years 2-3 and they were picked way earlier than Amari.

I'm excited about A. Rodgers potential, but I never expected much in the receiver dept this year, maybe punt returns we will see him shine.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think a 3rd round rookie would be more than 5th or 6th on the depth chart at receiver in an average NFL receiving room. I would prefer the team have a player who can outperform Lazard in the slot.
Don't know how you can make a statement about any receiver that you have not really seen yet. As a general rule you may be right. But it depends on the player. Sometimes coaches imho don't give youngsters much of a chance because they haven't paid their dues or some bs. But we will see about Amari. Sounds like Ferrari.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Amari was going to be our purest slot on the roster, with Cobb added the pressure on him is now eleviated.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think A. Rodgers has a skill set we did not have on the field last year. As long as he could learn the plays I think they were going to get him on the field. I easily saw him in that 30-50 catch range with 2-5 TD's year 1. I see about the same potential for Cobb at this point in his career.

Cobb has experience and if he stays healthy, great. I'm still interested to see what we gave up and what we're paying him.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reading through the Cobb comments, I just gotta say the degree to which fans assume a 3rd round rookie is going to be a startable receiver in the NFL is surprising.

Not a soul here that I've seen thought he would start. We typically start and run two TE and two WR often in this system. Then depending on the package of a series does that change. Rodgers was without question our purest slot receiver on the roster and until Cobb comes on board for sure the best, or I should say assumed best by most.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Don't know how you can make a statement about any receiver that you have not really seen yet. As a general rule you may be right. But it depends on the player. Sometimes coaches imho don't give youngsters much of a chance because they haven't paid their dues or some bs. But we will see about Amari. Sounds like Ferrari.

I don't think anyone is trying to say that Amari has no chance of being great this year, he could surprise everyone and win rookie of the year. However, history and his draft position would say otherwise. I think what many of us are trying to say, pure optimism aside, the Packers and their fans really shouldn't expect or more importantly, depend on a late 3rd round rookie WR to have that major of an impact in season 1. Possible? Yes. Likely? Probably not.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of what some folks want to claim some have said or not.

What we have now is an incredibly diverse offering in formations...Tonyan is a TE that can split out if needed...Deguara can go in line, split out, in the backfield...Jones has proven he can run split out or in slot routes with success....Amari is more than capable of motioning into the backfield for snaps....I'm just loving all the mobile and multi faceted pieces Green Bay has assesmbled.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is the tough part about bringing Cobb back. I prefer him over guys like ESB, Funchess, and even Lazard to a certain degree. The bad thing is it comes at the expense of Amari Rogers, who while I don't expect big things from just yet still needs that game time to find his bearings. Cobb will likely only be here on a 1-year deal, which while not long still delays Rogers's development.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That is the tough part about bringing Cobb back. I prefer him over guys like ESB, Funchess, and even Lazard to a certain degree. The bad thing is it comes at the expense of Amari Rogers, who while I don't expect big things from just yet still needs that game time to find his bearings. Cobb will likely only be here on a 1-year deal, which while not long still delays Rogers's development.
That doesn't really bother me at all. It's a pretty commonly held feeling that the Packers lacked quality starters at WR and Amari wasn't suddenly changing that just yet. So adding Cobb improves on the quality of starters and will create plenty of good competition for snaps received by the 4th, 5th and 6th guys on the depth chart. Throw in the always present injuries that we see and we now have some experienced depth at WR.

If A. Rodgers is ready and able, he'll see game action at WR. I also think he probably is our starting punt returner, so that alone will make him a go to guy at WR during some games.

Last edited:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True and I'm not complaining about Cobb coming back. Like I said in another post we did this with James Jones as well several years ago.

But with the pros of this there are a few cons I believe

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But with the pros of this there are a few cons I believe
I think the only potential con is you might lose someone like ESB to another team via waivers. Right now depending on whether the Packers carry 6 or 7 WR's, barring injury or a trade, which is very possible, I see the following as the DC with the potential for spots 3-7 to move around a bit. Odd man out might actually end up being Funchess. He and Amari have no experience with Rodgers, he hasn't played since the first game of 2019 and I believe Funchess has the most expensive contract outside of Adams and Cobb.

1. Adams
2. Cobb
3. MVS
4. A. Rodgers
5. Funchess
6. Lazard
7. ESB
8. The Rest

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Adams
2. Cobb
3. MVS
4. A. Rodgers
5. Funchess
6. Lazard
7. ESB
8. The Rest
Why would you have Lazard at #6? IMHO: Adams, MVS, Lazard, Cobb, Rodgers, ESB, Funchess, and the young guys. Barring injury (or trade) Lazard will get more snaps than Cobb or Rodgers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Why would you have Lazard at #6? IMHO: Adams, MVS, Lazard, Cobb, Rodgers, ESB, Funchess, and the young guys. Barring injury (or trade) Lazard will get more snaps than Cobb or Rodgers.
Like I said, IMO 3-7 is a toss up right now and Cobb will be out there starting in the slot, I don't see Lazard moving past him. MVS will most likely be your guy opposite Davante. Amari will be active every game to return punts and probably be used in a variety of ways to spell Cobb. I really like Lazard, I just don't see him as a starter just yet, unless he beats out MVS. He jumps ahead of Funchess, if Funchess doesn't make the 53.

Lazard could also end up being traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts