What WRs are back in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
consistent when healthy, but not always healthy or available doesn't always help more either, that also shouldn't be too difficult to understand.

I expect either will get us 30-50 and 2-5 TD's.

Rookies can make impacts, ie 108 yard kick off returns and 30+ yard pitch and catch plays for TD's and punt return TD's against division rivals, like Cobb did as a rookie.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One hope I can go with on Cobb being here is an on field coach bringing A. Rodgers up to speed faster in the slot..........meaning practice, not game time.
Maybe by playoff time the rookie will be ready to make big plays.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Nobody is doing that though. A 31 year old, consistent NFL receiver has a FAR greater chance of helping a team than a 3rd round rookie. This is not a difficult thing to understand.
Especially one that has already played 8 seasons with the same QB? This isn't just picking up some random veteran FA WR, this is a guy that had great chemistry with AR. While I don't expect Cobb will have a season like he had in 2014, I expect he will be a guy that AR has a ton of confidence in and knows where he is almost at all times. Cobb in a MLF offense, I believe could be more valuable than what he was in MM's offense. I also think the leadership he will provide others is hard to measure and of course there is the him helping Amari part too.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, lots of moving parts to consider with WR's. Cobb and A. Rodgers I believe are the only 2 currently under contract beyond this season. Signing Adams will dictate somewhat of what happens, but in general, the play and health of each guy will be the most important.

I completely spaced on Amari for some ludacris reason. 100% my bad there. You're right.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody is doing that though. A 31 year old, consistent NFL receiver has a FAR greater chance of helping a team than a 3rd round rookie. This is not a difficult thing to understand.

Stop underrating the rookie like you are expecting folks to stop overrating it (however I haven't seen much of that from anyone).

The main worry with Cobb is if he can actually be on the field every game, which is arguably a much bigger valid concern than his age. Cobb is a shifty chess playing slot guy, only aspect is he has struggled with health issues - especially of late.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No matter how you slice it though, our WR room is MUCH better on paper than it was last year at this time. All the guys that were there last year have gained some valuable experience. Meanwhile, they have added Cobb, Funchess and Amari to that group. 2 guys with a lot of NFL experience and 1 guy with hopefully a promising future ahead of him.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No matter how you slice it though, our WR room is MUCH better on paper than it was last year at this time. All the guys that were there last year have gained some valuable experience. Meanwhile, they have added Cobb, Funchess and Amari to that group. 2 guys with a lot of NFL experience and 1 guy with hopefully a promising future ahead of him.

100%!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I also think there will be a lot more competition, motivation and incentive for the guys on the bubble. Not to mention 2 pretty talented players in Adams and Cobb showing them all how its done.

I bet Davante is kind of happy to have his old buddy back too! Cobb will probably command a bit more attention by defenses.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stop underrating the rookie like you are expecting folks to stop overrating it (however I haven't seen much of that from anyone).

The main worry with Cobb is if he can actually be on the field every game, which is arguably a much bigger valid concern than his age. Cobb is a shifty chess playing slot guy, only aspect is he has struggled with health issues - especially of late.

Most of the posters here ARE overrating the rookie. Go through and see how many people have said that Cobb isn't needed because Rodgers is the slot receiver this year. Counting on a 3rd round rookie to be the starting slot receiver is absolutely overrating a rookie.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of the posters here ARE overrating the rookie. Go through and see how many people have said that Cobb isn't needed because Rodgers is the slot receiver this year. Counting on a 3rd round rookie to be the starting slot receiver is absolutely overrating a rookie.
There were probably 2 that said that because Cobb had about 8.5 guaranteed millions this year plus some bonuses. At that cost I'd take the rookie we got no question. I think he's going to be good.

But for what? a 3 million dollar cap hit? sure, there's nothing wrong with bringing Cobb back. Great community guy, great locker room guy, and if he stays healthy he'll earn every penny of that plus some.

I still don't think their production potential is all that different this year.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were probably 2 that said that because Cobb had about 8.5 guaranteed millions this year plus some bonuses. At that cost I'd take the rookie we got no question. I think he's going to be good.

But for what? a 3 million dollar cap hit? sure, there's nothing wrong with bringing Cobb back. Great community guy, great locker room guy, and if he stays healthy he'll earn every penny of that plus some.

I still don't think their production potential is all that different this year.

Cobb'***** to us is just over $5M this year:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb'***** to us is just over $5M this year:

The ESPN report I read said the Texans paid 3M of his salary for this year and was going to be just under a 3M cap hit for us.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero clue what got astericked out on my post LOL

See I thought his hit was just shy of 9M before they were willing to pay 3M of it. I could be wrong just pulled up contract on spotrac

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

See I thought his hit was just shy of 9M before they were willing to pay 3M of it. I could be wrong just pulled up contract on spotrac
and what I read said nothing was disclosed in terms of draft pick, but the "insider" said the Texans were paying 3M and it was costing us just under that. So until I get confirmation, that's what I'm using :)

A source told ESPN that the Packers only had to give up a sixth-round pick and got the Texans to eat $3 million of Cobb's salary; the cap hit on the Packers will be slightly under $3 million.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2008 Jennings, driver, Jones, Nelson. Ruvell Martin

2009 minus Martin...Brett Swain

2010 same as 2009

2011 Jennings, driver, Nelson, Jones, Cobb

2012 same as 2011

I think all have more depth than this year's group just to start only got as far as 2013

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't listen to a trade for Lazard any worse than a 5th rounder. We don't have many WRs at all with contracts beyond this year (cobb now...) and with Lazard being still somewhat affordable being a RFA next off season I suspect he isn't going anywhere UNLESS we work on an Adams deal and convince MVS he is best served here with a reasonable contract extension
Wow! No way I would give Lazard away for a 4th or 5th. He has not even come into his own yet. He is an important cog in the offensive show this year. imho

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe leaving a space in the common man's vernacular for excrement doesn't elude the nanny? IOW it thought you were saying :poop: without actually saying it.
SHit < just testing if the workaround still works.

D

Deleted member 6794

Man Captain, you know your stuff. I was reading that the Texans ate $3 million of Cobbs salary. Do you know how much he is getting?

Cobb was slated to earn $8.25 million in base salary for this season with the Texans picking up $3 million of it, resulting in the Packers having to pay the remaining $5.25 million.

Unless Cobb takes a further pay cut, he will earn around $5.5 million in Green Bay this season between his base salary and per-game roster bonuses.

Also, this notion that "Texans will pay part of his salary" is kind of misleading. He was already paid that money in guarantees and it represents a dead cap hit for them. So it wasn't like they said "We will take a 6th and pay part of his 2021 Salary".

No, the Texans actually agreed to pay $3 million of his base salary this season for the Packers to agree to the trade.

the ESPN article says he'll be just under 3 million for our cap this year and the Texans were paying about 3 million in his salary for this year.

It's true that Cobb will count less than $3 million towards the Packers cap in 2021. That's because the Packers converted $4.175 million of his 2021 base salary into a signing bonus and added a void year to the contract in 2023 for cap purposes. In total Cobb playing for the Packers will cost them $5.25 million for the upcoming season.

I did look through them all and I even hinted at I bet I might know which one or two you may be considering deeper, there are numerous better but depth however is what I'm discussing. Care to discuss it would be awesome, merely dismissing without discussion is pointless.

The fifth or sixth wide receiver on the depth chart will hardly receive any snaps nor targets. Therefore them supposedly being better than the ones who didn't play early during Rodgers' tenure as the team's starter means diddly-squat.

I don't expect Cobb to put up significant better numbers than Rodgers would if he received the same amount of snaps. I hope I'm wrong about it though.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Bailey Gaither decided to retire and is no longer with the team. I'm going to have to change my vote.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't expect Cobb to put up significant better numbers than Rodgers would if he received the same amount of snaps. I hope I'm wrong about it though.

I would be fine with them both putting up GREAT numbers, but I don't expect it from either. Based on past history of Rookie WR's with Aaron Rodgers and that includes Adams, Jordy and several others, I didn't (before Cobb trade) nor do I expect that much out of Amari this year at WR, but at return man, I do.

Cobb could end up being a wide range of things from a flop to a Pro Bowler, I expect it to fall somewhere in the middle. I think his season will all hinge on his (and Aarons) health. The seasons where he has stayed relatively healthy have been his best ones. The seasons where he was hurt or had backup QB's throwing to him, not so good.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fifth or sixth wide receiver on the depth chart will hardly receive any snaps nor targets. Therefore them supposedly being better than the ones who didn't play early during Rodgers' tenure as the team's starter means diddly-squat.

100% false, the goalposts of the discussion were talking entire depth and I was quite clear on that. Want to move the posts to your parameters would change the discussion and my stance - as I said this isn't the best group he has had.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would add that every year injuries occur and those #5, #6 and practice squad guys do get a shot at not just snaps and targets, but often being thrust into the starting roll. With COVID still knocking on the door and as we have seen in MLB, taking guys out, depth is going to be almost more important this year than it was last year when they effectively played in a bubble.

Just another reason why I think the Cobb trade was huge and in all honesty, if the Packers could get another proven vet WR on a cheap deal, I would love it. Only so many years I wanna see the Jeff Janis's, Darrius Shepherds and Malik Taylor's being relied on for significant snaps.

D

Deleted member 6794

100% false, the goalposts of the discussion were talking entire depth and I was quite clear on that. Want to move the posts to your parameters would change the discussion and my stance - as I said this isn't the best group he has had.

I don't care about the depth possibly being better than during any seasons early during Rodgers' tenure. All I'm interested in is the overall talent level of the receiving corps and there shouldn't be any doubt that was better in those years compared to this one.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care about the depth possibly being better than during any seasons early during Rodgers' tenure. All I'm interested in is the overall talent level of the receiving corps and there shouldn't be any doubt that was better in those years compared to this one.

Again though, then stop attempting to counter argue a point that isn't even been made - its' just not necessary is all I'm saying. When injuries arise, if they should, that depth becomes arguably more crucial atm then the top shelf abilities of the position. I pray it is not needed though.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again though, then stop attempting to counter argue a point that isn't even been made - its' just not necessary is all I'm saying. When injuries arise, if they should, that depth becomes arguably more crucial atm then the top shelf abilities of the position. I pray it is not needed though.

While Brett Swain may be worse than whoever is the 5th wr this season. The 4 ahead of him were way better than the 4 ahead of whoever the number 5 is gonna be in 2021. So I don't really understand your depth argument as I take depth to include the entire group as a whole...

Further ruevell Martin, the 5 in 2008 was a lazard type and just as good as lazard. And the 5 in 2011 and 2012 was Cobb don't think there's an argument there for the 5 this season being better than Cobb in year 1 and 2

I do agree that wr group this season should be good enough to win the SB with Aaron Rodgers at qb

Status
Not open for further replies.