At receiver, the Packers currently carry:

-Allen Lazard
-Randall Cobb
-Amari Rodgers

-Rico Gafford
-Juwann Winfree
-Chris Blair
-Malik Taylor

Only the top three guys should be considered strong candidates for the 53 man roster.

So what are the veteran options to bolster this position?

Re-sign:

-Marquez Valdes-Scantling:
MVS is certainly no Adams replacement, but he plays an important role in the offense that will need to be replaced even if he doesn't return. Rumor is that he's seeking 7-10M on a one year deal to try and establish more value for a bigger deal. Something on the lower end of that would be fine, though I would be careful not to overpay. Signed with the Chiefs

Sign:

Intriguing Options:

-Juju Smith-Schuster: Played as a big slot in Pittsburgh; could be redundant if that's his only role. Intrigued with his ability to do more if he moves beyond the limitations of Big Ben. Signed with the Chiefs

-Will Fuller:
Fuller is still only 27 and only a year or so removed from being a high end deep threat option.

-Keelan Cole: Competent boundary receiver who has never played with a high level QB.

High Floor Options:

-Jarvis Landry: Can play slot or the Z on the outside; possession receiver. Wouldn't mind the acquisition but not overly eager.

-Emmanuel Sanders

High Risk/Reward Options:

-Odell Beckham Jr: Proved that he can still play, but he's oft injured and oft dissatisfied. Forgot about late season ACL tear

-Julio Jones:
Can still play when healthy, but that's almost never the case. I would pass.

Redundant Options:

-Jamison Crowder: Pure slot; redundant to Cobb and Rodgers. Signed with the Bills

-Cole Beasley

Trade:
With a good bit of draft capital in hand (and a QB that some teams might want to take a flier on), it's possible that the Packers could add by way of trade.

-D.K. Metcalf: Bonafide X receiver who adds a terrifying vertical element to an offense; cheap (4M base salary), entering a contract year, only 24; Hawks unlikely to want to move such a young player.

-Tyler Lockett: 29 year old, versatile, high volume receiver. Base salaries of 3M and 9.7M next two years.

-Robert Woods: 29 year old X receiver who thrives in this type of offense and is an excellent run blocker. Paced for a 1000 yard season last year but tore his ACL in November. Just replaced by Allen Robinson. Traded to the Titans

-Brandin Cooks:
28 years old; capable and versatile with a 12.5M base salary in a contract year. Should be simple to acquire.

-D.J. Moore: The dream option-- Moore is a legit WR1 with versatility. He's still just 24 years old and entering a contract year (11M base salary because of 5th year option). Unlikely to be moved; would only be because he's not in their future plans for whatever reason.* Signed extension with the Panthers

-Michael Thomas:
High risk/reward option who the Saints might try to move if they don't land Deshaun Watson. Not only did he miss all of last year and most of 2020, but he's also a head case.

-DeVante Parker: Oft injured Z receiver who specializes winning at the catch point. 5.7M base salary this season and next.

-Denzel Mims: Mims has totally failed to launch in New York; I have no knowledge if that's on him or the offense or both. However, if GB had designs on him in the 2nd round of that 2020 draft, they might try a reclamation project.

-Darius Slayton: Slayton is a speedster with big play ability who could replace MVS if he's not brought back.

-Jalen Reagor: Similar to Mims-- if the Packers liked him coming out, they might try to change his scenery and see if they could unlock him.

-Marvin Jones: An unexciting possession guy who would nevertheless bring some stability to the position; Jags might be willing to move him after spending up for Kirk and Jones.

*The only reason I listed Moore as even a possibility is what the Panthers have done lately at WR. Last year they drafted Terrace Marshall, then they restructured Robby Anderson and made a longer term commitment to him, and then they signed Rashard Higgins on the open market. So are they setting themselves up to move on from Moore? Probably not, but maybe...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If it's me...

If MVS can be had for ~8M, I bring him back over any of the other UFA options. Then I go hunting in the trade market.

Not very interested in Parker or Thomas.

I doubt that Metcalf is attainable.

Moore would be a slam dunk.

Woods would be great if he's healthy.

Cooks would make a ton of sense and shouldn't cost much.

Lockett would be A OK with me.

For the Seattle receivers and D.J. Moore, I wonder if Jordan Love could be a factor in the trade.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I see a lot of money headed towards WR3 and potential guys. This is an expensive market. New media deal has reset the $$ floor for average players.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pure fantasy but I think a trade for Lockett would be the best solution. I would also put Landry in the redundant section because he's basically just a slightly better Cobb. Packers need to find a WR that can threaten the mid- to deep part of the field to at least force defenses to play someone more than 10 yards off the line of scrimmage. Fuller and MVS are really the only free agents that might accomplish that.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Pure fantasy but I think a trade for Lockett would be the best solution. I would also put Landry in the redundant section because he's basically just a slightly better Cobb. Packers need to find a WR that can threaten the mid- to deep part of the field to at least force defenses to play someone more than 10 yards off the line of scrimmage. Fuller and MVS are really the only free agents that might accomplish that.

That's fair. I do think that Landry and Cobb could play at the same time, whereas Cobb and Crowder could not, but I see what you mean.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would offer MVS and Fuller $7M for a 1 year deal and which ever one accepts it first gets the gig. Then I would take a WR with one of our 1sts and move up in the 3rd round and get Alec Pierce.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I would offer MVS and Fuller $7M for a 1 year deal and which ever one accepts it first gets the gig. Then I would take a WR with one of our 1sts and move up in the 3rd round and get Alec Pierce.

I don't think any of that is unreasonable, but I would give priority to MVS over Fuller just given that the latter has gone through a PED suspension since the last time he was really productive.

Reaction score
If it's me...

If MVS can be had for ~8M, I bring him back over any of the other UFA options. Then I go hunting in the trade market.

Not very interested in Parker or Thomas.

I doubt that Metcalf is attainable.

Moore would be a slam dunk.

Woods would be great if he's healthy.

Cooks would make a ton of sense and shouldn't cost much.

Lockett would be A OK with me.

For the Seattle receivers and D.J. Moore, I wonder if Jordan Love could be a factor in the trade.
If we could get Brandon Cooks and MVS and stay under the 19.4 net from Davante’s departure? I’d be ecstatic. That would take some stress off overreach at WR. We could be patient and grab another one without using our first couple selections. WR Alex Pierce from Cincinnati is one example that could be found in the 3rd round

That opens draft door possibilities and also solidifies our weakness into a relative strength again.

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both Fuller and MVS are inconsistent but I would take MVS since he has better chemistry with Rodgers. The draft has talent but isn't an option gor a No 1 WR since it takes a long time to gain Rodgers trust. I could see a trade for Lockett if the Seahawks are all in on a rebuild.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me, Cobb being on the team seems to limit some of the 'risk' options given that I'm not sure he can stay on the field himself. I really anticipate MVS being resigned at this time, I just hope they don't go crazy with whatever $ they give him. If they went into the season with MVS, Lazard, Cobb, Rodgers, someone in the 1st round and another WR draft in rds 2-4, could live with that.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sign MVS (familiar and Rodgers a fan) and bring in Julio cheap or Demarco Robinson FA from KC for cheap and go draft welll bam.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or what may be smartest is sign MVS and wait and see what players you nab in draft. You walk out of draft with Olave and second one of like Pickens, Pierce or Tolbert later that isn’t a terrible stable and Rodgers has excellent track record spreading ball around when Adams has been gone.

Reaction score
For me, Cobb being on the team seems to limit some of the 'risk' options given that I'm not sure he can stay on the field himself. I really anticipate MVS being resigned at this time, I just hope they don't go crazy with whatever $ they give him. If they went into the season with MVS, Lazard, Cobb, Rodgers, someone in the 1st round and another WR draft in rds 2-4, could live with that.
I’d like to see more of Malik Taylor.
He had shown snippets of big play ability. Can he put it all together idk?

Beyond that, please don’t overspend for MVS. Between injury and his limitations as a 1-trick pony his value ceiling for me is 6-7M a season. I’d like him at $5m but I know these guys get paid.

Reaction score
Or what may be smartest is sign MVS and wait and see what players you nab in draft. You walk out of draft with Olave and second one of like Pickens, Pierce or Tolbert later that isn’t a terrible stable and Rodgers has excellent track record spreading ball around when Adams has been gone.
That Tolbert reminds me of the WR version of RB Khylin Hill (less the abrasive outspoken part). He’s got the “slippery” thing. He’s got a nose for finding the crease in a Defense and exploiting them. Jaylen is not a top focus WR, but I have a feeling his relatively mediocre combine will have him slide to a place we can say “if he doesn’t transition did we blow our ***?” I just have a feeling he’s another 2-3rd level sleeper. He’s better than his combine and his work ethic is supposedly one of his best traits outside athletic ability.
Jaylen has some minor rough edges to smooth out, but he’d be in the right group of guys to help him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Panthers just extended D.J. Moore, so scratch that name off.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Juju is going to the Chiefs on a 1 year, 10.75M deal.

That's a great move by them-- he adds a dynamic they're missing and he could really increase his value away from Big Ben. He's still only 25 years old.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Juju is going to the Chiefs on a 1 year, 10.75M deal.

That's a great move by them-- he adds a dynamic they're missing and he could really increase his value away from Big Ben. He's still only 25 years old.

Mcaffry going to is this right?!?!

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive got my eyes on MVS, Fuller, Tonyan, and OJ Howard. Outside of that Im not really interested in anyone. Julio Jones possibly because I do believe he fits. I like his blocking ability as a receiver to go with his skills. It would have to be a low 1 year deal though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts