Tyni's 2023 November Mock

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
November Mock - Next one will drop end of December

Four Rounds (full length mock won't happen till January or February at earliest as I iron out my personal analysis)

ATM we are estimated to hold R1:13 / R2:40 / R2:45 / R3:77 / R3:80 / R4:113 / R5:135 (compensatory)

Round 1 : Pick #13
Sitting there would be tempting but the board I predict is going to be flushed with high ceiling edge guys (not a dire need), your best safeties (Kinchens/Nubin/DeJean), CB2 is quite likely to be there still on many boards and others, top 2 maybe 3 OTs could be gone....
TRADED pick with the Cardinals who went Maye with their 2nd pick and were looking to add that rookie skill weapon for their new QB after showing Murray the door it seems.
Cardinals Send R1:17 / R3:66 / 2025 R4 and We sent R1:13 / R4: 113

Round 1 : Pick #17
Cooper DeJean CB (I view as safety) 6'1' 207lbs - IOWA

Arguably one of the most athletic freaks in this draft...the kid from a small school that led his team (QB and Safety) to back to back state championships...and despite Iowa's hard nosed policies on underclassman play time saw seven games as a rookie, made a massive TD saving tackle on Wan'Dale Robinson despite only seeing five snaps that bowl game. His sophomore year he was cast as the "CASH" hyrbid DB/Box/CB role but injuries made him have to play something he'd never done - true cornerback. DUDE EXCELLED instead of had growing pains. First four games he compiled three picks and three pass breakups...finished the year with 5 INTS which three were returned for TD. His instincts, route recognition, football IQ all translate immediately utilizing the phenomenal athlete their connected to, to always be around the play or making the play for his team. While many go just to his ball skills, coverage abilities and trait to eat of field space insanely fast....he is absolutely an excellent run defender and if placed in the box or if forced to do an open field tackle it is RARE that DeJean doesn't make it happen. I personally see him as a better Safety at the NFL level than Kyle Hamilton was for a recent comp. While the trade back might lead this pick to be more in the Kamren Kinchens or Tyler Nubin Safety prospect area...there is a very good chance that Cooper is in the hunt clear from pick 8 clear through end of first with how players of his traits/position typically go. Whether he lines up at Corner, in the slot or on the back end - I'm 100% confident he is a Day1 starter and might very well become one of or our best DB on the field (yes I know what I mean by this).

Round 2 : Pick #40
Patrick Paul OT 6'7' 315LBS - HOUSTON

Let me preface this with the fact I don't envision the likes of Jordan Morgan to still be there and I believe many of the "engines" folks utilize will see this crystalize as they catch up with what the league sees and views in him. With that Patrick Paul is in that OT5-OT7 range and likely LT4-LT6 on many war room boards. Paul has started for Houston for three straight years so far has given up just four sacks (none this year yet). A mountain but a very mobile athletic one that has an incredible length whose wingspan is already confirmed at breaking 85 inches. His footwork and technique in pass pro is perhaps one of the best in the class, but where he falls just slightly is he lacks the tenacity to truly impose his will in the run blocking game. I don't need my LT to be a road grading machine, and the isolated reps I've watched it has never been bad run blocking, he just lacks that aggressive explosion to go pancake someone...he'd much rather illustrate to a pass rusher they have zero chance of getting past him and I see more aggression in his pass pro than I do in his run blocking even. Day1 He's our LT - although I do feel we enter camp with it an open competition.

Round 2 : Pick 45
Princely Umanmielen EDGE 6'5' 254LBS - FLORIDA

This is where it gets interesting...so many avenues to build and help Love keep pushing into his future....ultimately this is more about ceiling projections and future years than it is 2024 (first pick of this nature). Preston, while I still think is here in 2024 to start, will likely be on another team either by the trade deadline or after the season ends...and with only LVN at times showcasing a case for OLB2 (Enagbare is a solid OLB3 IMO so far) adding Princely provides this room with the ability to likely have their OLB2 of the future when Preston is no longer here to play opposite Gary...high value positional pick with our bonus second rounder in 2024. Not the pick many are going to want us to make, but one that for sure might just play out to be one of the smarter ones.

Round 3 : Pick 66
Bucky Irving RB 5'10' 195lbs - OREGON

Trey Benson in the mock engine went just the pick before here...I actually see Benson as a guy that should be gone before the 3rd round starts so even if he was here in the "mock" I'd not have picked him. I will however introduce many of you to a guy that arguably might be the most diverse weapon type running back in this draft, and not just on speculation but on production as well. Oregon's Bucky Irving has put up just an insane amount of rush/receiving yards for years now...over 1,000 yards for last two (696 the year before that) and is likely to add over 400+ receiving this year when it is done and last year he added 297 yards. Over 80 receptions over the last couple...he is very comfortable even splitting out and running routes (40 wide snaps so far...35 slot snaps also just this year). He is built very much in the same vein as Aaron Jones (inch taller but ten pounds lighter now) and I expect he does add a few more pounds of muscel...but if you ask me who the shiftiest RB is in this draft it's Bucky...you ask me who can make a man miss in space the best...Bucky is likely my answer as well. He isn't going to bully for yards, but he'll bully you if you let him (similar to Jones). People always say give young QBs young weapons they can grow with...well we have that in the WR room and TE room...but RB nope. I fully suspect one of Jones and Dillon are gone for sure with strong possibility both are gone which means adding a versatile weapon like Irving could go a long way in hoping to replace them.

Round 3 : Pick 77
Kris Abrams-Draine CB 5'11' 178LBS - MISSOURI

If you blindly follow other scouts rankings and such - many are going to view this as a reach by a round or so but I'm firmly in the camp of Kris Abrams-Draine quite arguably may be a borderline Top10 CB in this draft. What draws my attention to him more than the fact he has hands like a wide receiver (was a four star WR coming out of HS) and even played WR freshman year for Mizzou...it is he has excelled in multiple spots defensively, against HIGH level talent each year. While Nixon might be a resign and play at slot, Kris predominately played slot in 2021 and played it very well truthfully given it was his first year really on the defensive side of the ball. In 2021 where he lined up as slot almost all year he led the team in pass break ups, put up 3 INTs and contributed as a kick returner including a 100 yarder back for 6 against Tennessee. 2022 he was behind only Kool-Aid for most pass breakups in the SEC (9th in country). This year he's forced 11 incompletions according to PFF, has 4 INTs and has put up some of his best film against the likes of Georgia, South Carolina and Florida. Given his frame work, timing and tackling technique will for sure be something he is harped on for, but just covering his man - I personally despite being a believer in Carrington as many remember pre-draft, believe more in Kris and his traits in the NFL than even Carrington. This is the Rasul/Stokes insurance pick....shoot honestly even Jaire with how health and play is slouching. This would also allow us to even more so plan from the start Cooper DeJean being one of our starting safeties so he doesn't waste snaps at CB.

Round 3 : Pick 80
Audric Estime RB 5'11' 227lbs - NOTRE DAME

I'll be the first to admit, two running backs before Day2 closes is arguably not a good practice...but again the RB room I bet is going to be depleted massively...we have an ascending WR and TE room with a QB that as of writing this is proving to be fully capable starter potentially and growing. By locking in the only skill position that is a question mark may very well be a VERY smart thing to do - and GB has shown to when needed value the position (Dillon was a second rounder...and we drafted both Jones and Williams in one draft albeit touch later of course). However, what Estime gives you is that bigger bulkier running back that will absolutely bully people, but watch out this nearly 230 lb running back will shift his hips, slide through a crease and be a step by the linebackers with his acceleration which continues to expose defenses of every caliber. His long range speed isn't elite, but his ability to read, one cut and hammer the gas pedal is a thing of beauty when he is having a day. He and Irving would be a match made in heaven...and continue our Jones/Dillon type punches MLF has had here in GB.

Day 2 closes and we've given Jordan Love a starting LT prospect and filled the RB room back up....defensively we have one maybe two starting Defensive Backs in the room now and a high end traits edge prospect that could make Kingsley OLB 4 or worst case be our OLB4 with a Preston cut/trade move.

Round 4 : Pick 135 (comp pick)
Javon Foster OT 6'5' 319lbs - MISSOURI

Right now this is estimated by many to be the range of our highest comp pick possible...so for this exercise we have a end of the 4th comp pick to work with. Everyone knows and wants our OL room to get better...with Paul hopefully answering the LT question or at least making it possible we have one of our Tackles of the future on the team, Gute dips back into the OL room again with a Tackle prospect that has excelled in his time at Missouri despite facing edge rushers of the SEC. He's an older prospect having taken multiple red-shirt years like many have....has started in the past at RT, but each of the last three years has been the gameday starter at LT for the Tigers. I believe Walker could be a tackle at the next level but given the fact that likely of Tom relinquishing the RT spot is small, and Paul the hopeful LT starter...there is a chance we enter camp working Javon at both LT in that competition but also either RT or RG. Walker excels at run blocking and it appears at least on tape that he has the strength to move people at will often.

Reflections...

Strengths -
The defensive backfield that has been riddled with injuries, underwhelming play, young promising players and a trade is replenished in a big way hopefully.
The sad days of watching Jones and Dillon together in the backfield will quickly be replaced with the promising and hope for the future of Irving and Estime doing damage for years to come.
The offensive trenches got stronger and double dipped into athletic LTs that both are likely starters at the next level if drafted by a team.

Negatives -
Two running backs this early is a risk - regardless of how confident you are on your board and could be excessive.
No LB help or DL help, which is arguably where you make the biggest improvements to run defense - which we SUCK at.

It's admittedly still VERY early.....does an announcement of a Dillon extension happen yet and change this - sure could. Does Carrington just take over his now CB2 role and illustrate that the Kris pick isn't as needed - possible.

The most likely thing I'm betting on is Sean Rhyan is going to pry the RG spot out of the hands of Runyan and put together even more impressive film making folks a LOT more confident about the RG spot.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like you say way too early. Here are some of my way too early thoughts. Definitely need 2 DBs. Personally I would like them to be able to tackle as well as cover. Absolutely have to get a RB in Day2. Also like the idea of a starting LT plus a guy who can play a couple of spots on the OL for depth. This run defense doesn't allow them to not address IDL or ILB. Never going to dislike a good edge guy. In my perfect world the 1st 7 picks cover those positions. In March I try to match names with picks. Things are somewhat clearer by then.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like you say way too early. Here are some of my way too early thoughts. Definitely need 2 DBs. Personally I would like them to be able to tackle as well as cover. Absolutely have to get a RB in Day2. Also like the idea of a starting LT plus a guy who can play a couple of spots on the OL for depth. This run defense doesn't allow them to not address IDL or ILB. Never going to dislike a good edge guy. In my perfect world the 1st 7 picks cover those positions. In March I try to match names with picks. Things are somewhat clearer by then.

It's too early to know exactly team needs and make up, but as many of you know my prospect reviews and analysis shoot in many ways for 2025 have already started.....checked my list last night and guys I've studies that are rumored to be going back for another year I slid over to that list and presently already have 39 guys I was close to grading out or did already on that list.

To me say the draft played out like this I am 100% with you on our run defense doesn't support this draft avoidance of iDL and LB...but lord I pray if we did this that means DeVondre is still here or we dabbled in the second tier LB or iDL FA market like we have before.

Now the crazy thing is we both likely forgot...we just got done loading our DL room and have seen great growth out of Slaton, Wooden and Brooks his year...Wyatt still only shows flashes of what we all hoped but who knows maybe he closes out this year with that sophomore growth you hope for or is truly in the midst of a sophomore slump and that junior year he will pop.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not as high on Slaton as you are and I am desperately hoping Wyatt improves.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not as high on Slaton as you are and I am desperately hoping Wyatt improves.

Oh I'm not high on him, and honestly look forward to maybe a T'Vondre Sweat picked up who is a big body run stuffer or a Day3 coin toss guy that can come in and make Slaton a guy we don't have to resign after next year.

He has progressed though this season and truthfully for a fifth rounder he's been about as one could expect...some will say slightly short of expectations others would argue he's given you more given his position.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@Schultz couple other bigger A and B gap type guys:

McKinley Jackson Texas A & M - steady progression at A&M...not as high on him as Sweat but he could arguably do all which Sweat could potentially. Day3 type guy, haven't ironed out a precise round grade beyond that for me.

Byron Murphy Texas - Sweat's teammate is the slightly smaller framed, more mobile some would argue option for that interior guy. I don't see a run plugger double teamer type like Sweat but than again isn't necessarily a must.

Nazir Stackhouse Georgia - this guy has a fitting name, he's 320lbs and stands out. Used to swallowing up doubles and at times controlling his position through them. I'm not as high on him as Sweat or the two above, but would very much welcome a Day 3 pick and have a 5th/6th round grade.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
It's too early to know exactly team needs and make up, but as many of you know my prospect reviews and analysis shoot in many ways for 2025 have already started.....checked my list last night and guys I've studies that are rumored to be going back for another year I slid over to that list and presently already have 39 guys I was close to grading out or did already on that list.
And you do all this research as a hobby??

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And you do all this research as a hobby??

Sadly...yes. Some folks are Trekkies (Star Trek) or perhaps Potter nerds or book nerds.....I absolutely love all things draft process and predictions. It is insane I know.

I've shared before I did apply for a couple scouting department jobs once and one of those occurrences resulted in some phone interviews and discussions - was freaking hoot listening to someone that spends time close to the war room in past and assist in board builds (he had worked for two teams in his career).

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
First two days I'm looking towards 5 of these 6. 2 "skill" (WR/RB/TE,) 2 DBs, 2 OL.
If we have a new DC,
(
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
)
I'd give him a DL if he promises a 4-3.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My first 3 picks I have to go some combination of O-Line S ILB and speed back
We need pass defenders (does not matter if you are a first round pick if you can't cover well and of course big linebackers and DEs should not be covering anybody), but the O line has to be re-vamped.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need pass defenders (does not matter if you are a first round pick if you can't cover well and of course big linebackers and DEs should not be covering anybody), but the O line has to be re-vamped.
About the O-line I'll go farther. Of the 9 O-Linemen (Including D Bakh in this) we have that I can name without blinking....6 have to go...and Bakhtiari I would want to see how he does during OTAs before deciding on whether to keep him, and start him, keep him and bench him or get rid of him.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am starting to think LB is becoming an increasing need. IMO Campbell's all-pro year was the exception not the rule.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
About the O-line I'll go farther. Of the 9 O-Linemen (Including D Bakh in this) we have that I can name without blinking....6 have to go...and Bakhtiari I would want to see how he does during OTAs before deciding on whether to keep him, and start him, keep him and bench him or get rid of him.
Who are your 3 keepers?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If go from the team entirely that’d be a VERY dumb move to wipe some rookie contracts on the room to that degree. While some guys are illustrating they shouldn’t be starters, they’d be very good backups.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If go from the team entirely that’d be a VERY dumb move to wipe some rookie contracts on the room to that degree. While some guys are illustrating they shouldn’t be starters, they’d be very good backups.
Who besides MAYBE Sean Rhyan MAYBE...is worthy of being a backup on this team?

Reaction score
Runyon. I think Runyon is a good backup. However we can do better for a starting RG. I’ve seen enough and I understand he’s got Pedigree, but he’s not his Dad I’m sorry for the bad news. Go get a good VETERAN RG and Runyon is our RG2

Maybe even draft a second iOL such as OC inside 4 Rounds. We need help on OL and as long as Jordan has time he’s effective.

Then go high at LT. Top 50 draft area minimum. Get this OL ship righted. Shed Bak. I love the guy but it’s getting ridiculous wish him the very best. I’m sorry this has to happen, but no more distractions please. Draft Baks successor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Easily Runyan is one of the best run blockers and to have his experience motivated off bench would be good for a team depth. Now is Runyan worth resigning as his deal is up this year, arguably only if cheap and a one year prove it deal.

Rasheed Walker as young as he is and have had some very good games against some elite rushers would be excellent off bench.

Rhyan is still very young and progressing and some would argue should be starting. Still rookie deal worth keeping.

Newman is great deep depth and can play either right side spot if he keeps a reserve spot through TC great, if not oh well. Rookie contract to boot.

Myers is having arguably his best year and still has a year left on contract. Depending on how draft goes having him still there in next year isn’t a bad thing, but would be a well above average backup.

Tenuta is finally healthy and be nice to keep for TC and for sure one more year of mountain Caleb Jones in camp is worth the VERY CHEAP investment…both are guys you want to be here and hope are PS only or cut guys because rest of roster makes it that way.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I absolutely 100% disagree on Newman. There's a reason he played himself from a starting spot to the 2nd Guard off the bench. Myers honestly with as bad as he is and has been could be making Runyan look bad in the passing game. I'd rather ditch Myers than Runyan but I'm no longer sure on either 1.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I absolutely 100% disagree on Newman. There's a reason he played himself from a starting spot to the 2nd Guard off the bench. Myers honestly with as bad as he is and has been could be making Runyan look bad in the passing game. I'd rather ditch Myers than Runyan but I'm no longer sure on either 1.
Myers' PFF scores have been rising along with the better offensive play. He doesn't seem to be the link needing replacement first. I wouldn't give him top 5 money when he is up if he is playing the way he is now.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Myers' PFF scores have been rising along with the better offensive play. He doesn't seem to be the link needing replacement first. I wouldn't give him top 5 money when he is up if he is playing the way he is now.
He's under 65 on his PFF score for this year. A guy drafted in a different class after him is over 80. I've seen guys run right down his throat and up Love's *** this year. Time to move on.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You did catch the part of Newman doesn’t keep a spot it isn’t a big deal. It is poor practice getting rid of starting experienced guys on rookie contracts before you have a replacement for him.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like how people think teams have 100 draft picks (sarcasm) and that their teams back ups should be better than other teams starters (somewhat sarcasm) and that the GM should be able to sign FAs at will to fill any needs (I think you get it by now}.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You did catch the part of Newman doesn’t keep a spot it isn’t a big deal. It is poor practice getting rid of starting experienced guys on rookie contracts before you have a replacement for him.
Not if there not any good

Members online

Latest posts