Week 17 vs. Lions

D

Deleted member 6794

My confidence is derived from complete belief in the offense. We have a defense that may show up and dominate. Sadly we also have a defense that may stay on the bus for half the game. This year's SB aspirations will come down to the D as it does most years. AR and Co. will most likely do their part. I believe the D will join them and this combined effort will culminate in a ring. Your apprehension is valid and then some but this team is an updated clone of 2010 and I expect the final results to mirror that very season.

G P G!!

I would like to share your optimism about the defense but I can't. The 2010 squad (which never trailed by more than seven points at any time during that season) ranked second in points allowed while this year's unit is tied for 22nd. Therefore I don't agree the current team is a clone of the one that won the Super Bowl six years ago.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to Ian Rapoport Randall Cobb may be active tonight but the Packers aren't counting on him for much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I came across a short but interesting article about a particular year in which we faced Detroit 5 times. I remember watching one game in particular where we held Barry Sanders to -1 yards after he had gashed us for 188 the previous game and forgot about it until recently.
It also goes to show the 1994 season anomalies between these 2 teams and how close these 2 squads were in strength.. much like this year.
It's less than a 5 minute read so if you have ADD like me you should be fine :tup:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.acme...ron-rodgers-mvp-1994-five-games?client=safari

Happy New Year and Enjoy the games today guys n gals

OP
OP
Chris398

Chris398

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though we've won 5 in a row, we MUST win another 5 in a row in order for the season to be a success.

I'm grateful the Packers were not eliminated after that four game losing streak.
I'm grateful that the Packers won't end the season disgracefully like 4-12.

OP
OP
Chris398

Chris398

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Stafford's game is off even slightly because of his injured finger, it mike be a difference maker. It would be nice if he throws five interceptions like Wilson.

H

HardRightEdge

Agreed, but I don't see the Packers coaches and players looking at the game much differently whether the Redskins win or lose. This would be a huge win for the Packers, giving them home field advantage next week, probably going up against the Giants VS going home (Redskin win) or playing on the road against the Seahawks or possibly the Lions again?
I seriously doubt many players go through the machinations of who and where they will play under the various scenarios. If somebody started reciting in the locker room what you just wrote he'd be told to shut the h*ll up.

What I would expect them to know is that if Washington loses the Packers are in the playoffs and if they beat Detroit they win the division. Those are nice, simple, single variable equations that captures what's most important.

As they come out to warm up they'll be checking the scoreboard. If Washington goes down, that would certainly be a relief. That relief could be a plus or a minus...it could mean playing loose (good) or playing relaxed (bad).

Echoing the Captain's sentiment above, I would expect the offense to play like it really matters even if a Washington loss is posted. The defense has that nasty habit of going soft and unfocused when they think they have something in the bag. That's not a comforting thought against a team that surely has confidence in their ability to come from behind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I seriously doubt many players go through the machinations of who and where they will play under the various scenarios. If somebody started reciting in the locker room what you just wrote he'd be told to shut the h*ll up.

What I would expect them to know is that if Washington loses the Packers are in the playoffs and if they beat Detroit they win the division. Those are nice, simple, single variable equations that captures what's most important.

As they come out to warm up they'll be checking the scoreboard. If Washington goes down, that would certainly be a relief. That relief could be a plus or a minus...it could mean playing loose (good) or playing relaxed (bad).

Echoing the Captain's sentiment above, I would expect the offense to play like it really matters. The defense has that nasty habit of going soft and unfocused when they think they have something in the bag.
Both teams will know during warmups if they are in (Washington lost) and the destination (Seattle wins/loses) depending on the outcome. The only difference in play I'd expect is if the game is for hosting the #6 seed (Wash & Seattle lost.) I could see MM minimizing the playbook if next week looks to be a rematch.

H

HardRightEdge

I could see MM minimizing the playbook if next week looks to be a rematch.
I seriously doubt that. Beside the fact that's putting the cart in front of the horse, this offense has become more flexible in back half of this season than we've seen in several year. Instead of the old McCarthy mantra (we're going to run 25 times and throw downfield), they take what the opponent gives them instead of that tired formula. Now that the Packers have demonstrated they can use the run and short passing game to put up points up, control field position and burn the clock, opponents are left with a quandry they've not previously needed to address.

So, you go out to attack the weaknesses you've identified. If there's a rematch the following week and the opponent adjusts, then you attack the new weaknesses that are exposed. We're not talking here about the 2013 - 14 Seahawks or 2015 Broncos or even the 2014 Bills where there are no discernible weaknesses of note.

Reaction score
This is the time of year we start to see Julius get more snaps. We need him to step up big time today to take some pressure off some of our injured LBs. I'm hoping to see more of Martinez also

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to share your optimism about the defense but I can't. The 2010 squad (which never trailed by more than seven points at any time during that season) ranked second in points allowed while this year's unit is tied for 22nd. Therefore I don't agree the current team is a clone of the one that won the Super Bowl six years ago.
I could've worded that better but that's where you come in! My comment was more directed at the seasons final result rather specific performance or lack thereof. I see this team having the ability to fully run the table and that's where the similarity lies. Woodson and Collins are the first 2 differences that come to mind. Those guys were game changers. I just have a feeling about this team is all.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers defense better do a better job of getting off the field in the second half or we're traveling to Seattle next week.