2023 week 7:post bye game in the Mile high city vs Broncos

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
MLF calls the plays. Stenavich may help develop the game plan during the week, but MLF is the actual O coordinator.

I don’t know. That thought does bring up a memory of the Philbin/Mcarthy era. I remember when they switched duties (possibly when Joe left?). If we recall we went through a similar slump.
Thanks Suds, kind of thought MLF was calling the plays.

Maybe I am over reacting and not "blaming" the youth, as well as the injuries of the offense enough?

I just don't like to see 3rd down short passes, whether completed or not, when they end up being well short of a first down. Everyone going out for a pass needs to be sent PAST the yards to gain and then throw the damn ball. Stop relying on YAC when our receivers are being blanketed on many plays.

I think it was against Detroit, might not of been, but 3 straight plays went to Patrick Taylor. The final one, was WAY short of the first down and then he didn't even catch what was also a poorly thrown ball.

Reaction score
I totally agree on moving the chains. Why would we run routes yards short of the 1st Down marker when our blocking has been below average?

We used to do the opposite last couple seasons. On 3rd down n short (say 3rd n 3) we’d throw it 35 yards Downfield for an incompletion. Anything past 15-20 yards has a much lower probability success rate. We rarely converted those, so who are we fooling.
I know I know, it’s only putting us 4 yards ahead, but moving the chains is also wearing our opponent Defense down. Not to mention controlling the clock while their QB gets cold and rests our Defense and aids field position. It’s more than just a 4 yard statistical gain. There’s the unseen thing called momentum.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree on moving the chains. Why would we run routes yards short of the 1st Down marker when our blocking has been below average?

We used to do the opposite last couple seasons. On 3rd down n short (say 3rd n 3) we’d throw it 35 yards Downfield for an incompletion. Anything past 15-20 yards has a much lower probability success rate. We rarely converted those, so who are we fooling.
I know I know, it’s only putting us 4 yards ahead, but moving the chains is also wearing our opponent Defense down. Not to mention controlling the clock while their QB gets cold and rests our Defense and aids field position. It’s more than just a 4 yard statistical gain. There’s the unseen thing called momentum.
I know teams will press the box if they never see us go downfield. But it is what it is. We have to play within the skills we have. The vertical shots are not are strength right now.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
10 guys on the injury report after a bye week. Even LaFluer comments, "Did we play a game last week?"

I get it ... better to have them ON the list than not, but for cryin' out loud. ...and I'm going to spare everyone the usual commentary from an old geezer about this team's mental toughness. I have a special name for it, but don't want to alienate all of the mentally tough kittens out there.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a take that people are not going to like.

I hold as much likelihood that GB loses to Broncos as I do we win.

Reason is we are simply a growing pain of a roller coaster...when we look good - we look DAMN good, when we look bad we look DAMN bad.

Mix in the fact that Broncos are licking serious wounds and yet still have Sean Payton and Russell Wilson leading this team - love em or hate em, both are better than their records hold.

I'm more nervous about this game than any other so far...mainly because the fallout of a loss is going to be to an ignorant level we've not seen in GB in my lifetime I think...
None of us should be nervous about this game. This is a rebuilding year, folks. We are not a playoff caliber team. We have a lot of holes and inexperience on this roster, especially on offense. I will be looking for IMPROVEMENT. If I see they are playing better as the season progresses that will make this a successful season more than our win/loss record. I hope we win tomorrow but it won't be the end of the world if we don't. Hell, it will help our draft slot if we lose. ;)

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After this loss let's fire Lafluff and Barry
Barry? Sure. But if we see improvement on offense I'm not ready to pull the plug on MLF quite yet. Going from a HOF QB to a first year starter with inexperienced WRs and TEs to throw to I'm gonna give our HC a pass, unless they look even worse than they did in LV.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
10 guys on the injury report after a bye week. Even LaFluer comments, "Did we play a game last week?"

I get it ... better to have them ON the list than not, but for cryin' out loud. ...and I'm going to spare everyone the usual commentary from an old geezer about this team's mental toughness. I have a special name for it, but don't want to alienate all of the mentally tough kittens out there.
Of course they don't have the "questionable" designation anymore so who really knows how injured these guys are. If they are in the injury report but still play we can't get too excited about it.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there ever was one, THIS game should be a get-right game for Love & the offense. The short & mid level passing game should be as easy as any. Selectively running the ball for 4+ yds/run will keep the chains moving. Wilson will give us at least one Int/fumble.
Packers 34, Broncos 17.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
get out the bags
Here's a take that people are not going to like.

I hold as much likelihood that GB loses to Broncos as I do we win.

Reason is we are simply a growing pain of a roller coaster...when we look good - we look DAMN good, when we look bad we look DAMN bad.

Mix in the fact that Broncos are licking serious wounds and yet still have Sean Payton and Russell Wilson leading this team - love em or hate em, both are better than their records hold.

I'm more nervous about this game than any other so far...mainly because the fallout of a loss is going to be to an ignorant level we'

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't remember a season where the Packers were beat up this much this early.
Great to see the punks from detoilet getting their humble pie!

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Firing MLF right now would be the dumbest thing this franchise has done in my lifetime IMO

Agree. I'm on the fence with MLF myself, but basically 40% of the available cap is sunk in dead money or guys that are providing nothing. You don't fire head coaches that you've put in that position.

Now Barry.. he should have never been hired.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Week 7 Actives:
Jones, Jenkins, Walker, Savage, Stokes, Nijman

INActives:
Alexander, Campbell, Z. Anderson, C. Jones, Heath.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not saying it is the case but if Jaire needs surgery just do it - this will play and then out stuff late in weeks is getting nuts.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I’m not saying it is the case but if Jaire needs surgery just do it - this will play and then out stuff late in weeks is getting nuts.
Agree.

Get him ready for next year. Get some more playing time for Valentine and other youngsters. At least 2 Packers went out yesterday with injuries that they were "nursing" going into the game.

Time to start playing for 2024!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as I can tell they are playing for 2024 (draft position).

I don't agree yet, if that was the case I don't think we dress Jones or Watson despite clearly still not being healthy. I'll be honest I still think the best approach to this coming draft is use that position to add a Day 1 pick in a trade back option for the post-Love potential year of 2025 which is beginning to shift to having more likelihood than not - I would say I was at one time thinking 70% vs 30% likelihood that Love is hear in 2025...now I personally see it as a toss up and the argument for it shifting to less than 50% is alive and not without merit.

Outsider99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After losing to the Raiders, I knew the season was a wash. So in this Denver game, why couldn't we just ride Jones until he took himself out? He was having success! And WRs were getting open against the crappy Denver D. Everyone is going to put the blame on Love now for not finding the open targets. But I gotta blame Lafleur because WE ARE COMING OFF OF A BYE! Create plays around Jones. If they crowd the box, then screen pass. Putting Love in these big pass play positions was a bad plan. Green Bay defense is not good, but they held Denver under 20 so they get a pass...this week.

Who's worse than GB..? Chicago? Carolina? Nobody?

Lafleur is good guy, he has allot of friends and will always find a job, but he has to go at season end. He'll probably get another year and make Barry or Love the scapegoat.