Turkey day studs

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Point being though. If #10 plays just well enough and we find a way to squeak a Win? We’d put the entire league on notice
Definitely could be a massive statement game. The positives are that there will be very little pressure on them going in. Also, our offense is so damn young they might be too naive at this point to understand that they are not supposed to win. I always try to think from the other team's perspective as much as I can. I think from the Chefs' POV this could very well be a trap game for them. I imagine if we can win this one, you'll hear a collective "Oh $h*t!" from the rest of the division and maybe the conference.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
In Carlson’s case he allowed our opponent to start at the 32.5 yard line average across 2 consecutive KO. So they might want to rethink that fancy approach imo :coffee:

Personally I’m ok with just kicking it 2-3 yards into the paint right up the middle. Don’t give our opponent any help or momentum whatsoever.
If they run it out from 3 yards deep? just play the odds. They’ll be starting inside the 20-25 with a good K coverage unit. We’ve got enough things to work on fixing at K without adding things to it.
I haven't paid much attention, has it happened more than the one game? And about stepping out of bounds then grabbing the ball. Has the NFL repealed the purposely going out of bounds rule? The call it on punt coverage. I always thought it should be applied here also.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who was this team?

A little late, but pleasantly shocked with the performance on Thanksgiving.

Obviously Gary was a monster, but we already knew that, The real revelation on Thursday was Jordan Love.

I have admittedly doubted his long-term viability in the past, but this was eye-opening. He just kept making throw after throw, whether it was in rhythm, in the pocket, out of the pocket, off-platform, side-arm, whatever the situation called for. He looked poised, calm, in control, and accurate. The deep balls are still a bit off, but he was otherwise exceptional. This was a high level quarterbacking from start to finish. I may have been wrong, and couldn't be happier.
On the other side of the ball Jonathan Owens surprised me. Was there a game in which Savage had that kind of impact?

Reaction score
Yeah, we're not talking about a 35 yard toss. It was a LONG throw. I don't care who your QB is, you're generally just happy making the connection. Very few passes that long hit a receiver perfectly in stride. Hell, Rodgers hadn't been particularly accurate at that distance for quite a while.
Yeah I wanted to hear it from JT Sullivan because he comes across pretty objective in his QB school game breakdowns. He said what I was thinking. He called it a hitch which is that footwork movement to set for a throw. Jordan took 3 “hitches” (I incorrectly inserted “pumps”) but had he released it on his 2nd hitch he said it would’ve been very close to in stride. He mentioned by the 3rd hitch faster Wideouts are so far downfield it’s just a rare level throw to hit them. Had Watson never slowed up? that’s a 60-65 yard pass to hit him in stride. Which very few QB are capable of making. The one I saw from Rodgers to Driver on Turkey day 2009 looked to be in that ~58-62 yards and even it wasn’t perfect. Reminded me though of the power Rodgers put behind a bomb. He had an amazing deep ball.

I’ve been saying this lije a broken record, but if Jordan can get that ball out without that last .25 sec hesitation and just put a smidge more air under it? Him and #9 could be hitting a bunch of 45-50 yarders. DB’s are not going to “outrun” Watson once he’s at full stride. They also won’t out-jump him if he has leverage. He’s like 6’4 and as fast a 6’ blazer. Also very few Safeties will be over top of him in that 45+ on a Go route. So test the release a smidge earlier and lean on a slight overthrow enough to let Christian try to catch up to it. It’s ok to miss long once in awhile is my point. I want to see Jordan overthrow one.
I’ll probably be the only fan celebrating a 2-3 yard overthrow around 50 yards.
OVERTHROW #9 long!! How many times do I need to ask? :laugh:

Last edited:

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the other side of the ball Jonathan Owens surprised me. Was there a game in which Savage had that kind of impact?

Yeah, I've been reticent to give up on Savage because of the impressive measurables, occasional explosive plays, and high draft position; but he plays like a fool more often than not, overrunning plays or missing tackles. He has proven time and time again that he is not a smart, disciplined player, which is what we need.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Definitely could be a massive statement game. The positives are that there will be very little pressure on them going in. Also, our offense is so damn young they might be too naive at this point to understand that they are not supposed to win. I always try to think from the other team's perspective as much as I can. I think from the Chefs' POV this could very well be a trap game for them. I imagine if we can win this one, you'll hear a collective "Oh $h*t!" from the rest of the division and maybe the conference.
Lol, Vikings and Bears fans would be absolutely apoplectic!!!!

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The first play? Safety was over top on line Love had and many have thought he purposefully threw that where he did between.

I’m very curious what O’Sullivan and Benkert have to say in film review of the game - especially O’Sullivan.

Haven’t watched the All22 yet and look forward to seeing if the angles provide a good view to discern.
Love played a superb game. Outstanding.

But he wasn’t trying to throw the ball where he did. The ball was short and made the play lean toward the middle of the field which made it possible for the safety to potentially make a play on it.

That ball could’ve been picked just as easily as it was hauled in.

Part of that might not have been his fault as McNeill was breathing down his chest. Probably couldn’t put quite as much as he wanted into it as a result.

If Love were able to put another few yards on it, the safety is a non factor.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love played a superb game. Outstanding.

But he wasn’t trying to throw the ball where he did. The ball was short and made the play lean toward the middle of the field which made it possible for the safety to potentially make a play on it.

That ball could’ve been picked just as easily as it was hauled in.

Part of that might not have been his fault as McNeill was breathing down his chest. Probably couldn’t put quite as much as he wanted into it as a result.

If Love were able to put another few yards on it, the safety is a non factor.
True, but this was a 60-yard bomb like you said with a guy in his grill. You want your best receivers to be able to go after and come down with a 50/50 ball most of the time and Watson was given that chance and he delivered. Not too many 60+ yard throws hit a receiver in stride.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think alot of people forget that Love has only started 12 games. He is expected to be 2010 Aaron Rodgers. You can see the poise and maturity..he has gotten better as the season has gone on. He only needs to win 1 more game to match A.R.'s win total for his first year as qb1.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think alot of people forget that Love has only started 12 games. He is expected to be 2010 Aaron Rodgers. You can see the poise and maturity..he has gotten better as the season has gone on. He only needs to win 1 more game to match A.R.'s win total for his first year as qb1.
Honestly, he's very much in position to out-perform year 1 Rodgers both statistically and in the W column. And Rodgers had a better offense around him.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but this was a 60-yard bomb like you said with a guy in his grill. You want your best receivers to be able to go after and come down with a 50/50 ball most of the time and Watson was given that chance and he delivered. Not too many 60+ yard throws hit a receiver in stride.
If they come down with it most of the time can it still be called a 50/50 ball? Asking for a friend.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they come down with it most of the time can it still be called a 50/50 ball? Asking for a friend.
Yep. If it's a 50/50 throw then the individual skill of the players involved tip the scale one way or the other. You want your receivers to be able to tip that scale your direction most of the time. Make sure to let your friend know.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. If it's a 50/50 throw then the individual skill of the players involved tip the scale one way or the other. You want your receivers to be able to tip that scale your direction most of the time. Make sure to let your friend know.

So most of the time actually only means half the time? I feel like the water got muddier somehow?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So most of the time actually only means half the time? I feel like the water got muddier somehow?
Bingo! And all of the time means most of the time. Never means sometimes. And sometimes means always. And all of that depends on whether or not usually means never, which is sometimes the case but only rarely. On the rare occasion it is, you can never be sure about anything.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is also the fact that the receiver knows where the ball is supposed to be more or less and it is easier for him to look back for the ball while the defender has to try and keep up. I would prefer to look elsewhere though if it going to be a 50/50 ball, especially if a safety is also running over to the ball. Somebody is going to be open mid field for a good gain.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if the receiver open midfield is only a 45/55 guy on throws in the middle of the field?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Studs - Packers coaching staff. Outcoached Detroit pure and simple.

Duds - turkey from catering establishment. Ham was very good though.

Members online

Latest posts