Turkey day studs

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm no Xs and Os guy, but in freeze frame, when Watson starts to slow down, his foot is on the 31, the foot of the outside Lion is on the 33, the foot of the inside Lion is on the 35. Sure looks like leading Watson is a TD with no chance for the DBs.
Don't matter. 60 air yards is about all you are going to get out of most NFL QBs. A second sooner would have been better.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't matter. 60 air yards is about all you are going to get out of most NFL QBs. A second sooner would have been better.
I think you're right and this is where Love needs to improve.

It looks like he's waiting for the deep reciever to become open alot of the time which then means by the time he's letting it go he's needing to chuck it 60 yards which is a hard ask for any QB when if he had just thrown it 1 second and a half sooner it would only need to travel 40 in the air

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs-Love (player of the game) hope reigns eternal. Gary did to the Lions what Hutchinson did to the Packers in the last game.

Dud-Carlson and kicking unit. He almost lost the game for us.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was one ball I recall that everyone including especially Josh Myers wants back and that was the real deep crosser that would have been the dagger he under threw Watson on....but that was due to he literally had zero ability or time to even set feet let alone get into the throw. Myers guy had blown clean by him and play had zero chance. Jordan' flicking that ball as close as he did was special, truthfully had Watson been looking sooner I think he redirects and catches it for sure.

What other deep balls were bad? If able state quarter minimum and what drive, I'll keep an eye on the All22 film
The first pass of the game was badly underthrown. Watson went up and got it but if the pass is accurate, it's a 75 yard TD.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs-The Whole Organization, all came to play. Haven't seen a total effort on all sides like this for awhile
There is a sense of desperation survival. You have a 4 day week. You 16 players on the injury report. Your record is 4-6. No time to think or feel sorry for yourself. You just go out there and play. In 2010 we played some surprisingly good football after placing a boat load of players on IR. How? Who knows? In 2001 we were going into Foxboro to play the SB Champs. Our Defense was decimated. We were signing players off the street. The experts said Brady would destroy us. As it turned out that day was the last time we beat the Pats in New England.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you're right and this is where Love needs to improve.

It looks like he's waiting for the deep reciever to become open alot of the time which then means by the time he's letting it go he's needing to chuck it 60 yards which is a hard ask for any QB when if he had just thrown it 1 second and a half sooner it would only need to travel 40 in the air
And for some reason when he goes deep teams appear to have double or triple coverage. One of Rodgers' strengths was his ability to read and isolate single coverage if he had it when taking a shot. I cannot believe defenses are treating our receivers like Randy Moss.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
And for some reason when he goes deep teams appear to have double or triple coverage. One of Rodgers' strengths was his ability to read and isolate single coverage if he had it when taking a shot. I cannot believe defenses are treating our receivers like Randy Moss.
Does GB do a max protect on deep passes so fewer defenders are needed to cover the flats and short passes? They can DT the deep ball because of our lack of a running threat. Single / double high safeties? All queries with answers I don't have.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does GB do a max protect on deep passes so fewer defenders are needed to cover the flats and short passes? They can DT the deep ball because of our lack of a running threat. Single / double high safeties? All queries with answers I don't have.
A favorite of both Favre and Rodgers was first down. They would lineup under center with a RB and a FB in what appeared to be an obvious running play. They would play action, take a deep drop, and look for a Driver, Jennings, or Nelson deep and usually had time to do it. If there was coverage the next read was the TE or FB. But you did need to prove you could run the ball.

Reaction score
1. KC-Mahomes isn't Goff. Would be a special defensive effort to get 3 turnovers. IMO a loss.
2. NYG- IMO this was a loss when the schedule came out. IMO the Pack will beat the 3rd string QB.
3. T.B. I also had this game as a loss but at home the way GB is playing I think it is a win.
4. CAR- IMO this was always going to be a win.
5. Started out as a loss IMO. Now a toss up game. If Dobbs has chemistry with JJeff could be a tough one on the road. If the Pack continue to improve big chance to win IMO.
6. CHI- IMO the Pack still owns them.
Sounds about right. Dobbs has done admirably for a QB2. He’s still slightly inferior to Cousins though. He’s efficient, but not dynamic

That KC game is kinda what I meant. We’re an underdog but it’s really the KC Defense that’s been winning games this year. The O has been sputtering as of recent. We’re an underdog, but we are playing at home + we might get a few players added back. Much will depend on our Defense because we should have a hard time moving the ball through the air.

Point being though. If #10 plays just well enough and we find a way to squeak a Win? We’d put the entire league on notice

Last edited:
Reaction score
Exactly what I saw.
On that opening play, Love had 3 mini set points and then released the ball. Had his release been on that second pump, that’s very possibly a ball caught in stride. He’s got to work on timing with #9 its close but it could be lethal. No one is out sprinting #9 throw it sooner but with a little more arc and let him get under it using his speed to track it

Again. I want to see Love overthrow Watson on a long 50+ ball. I’m being dead serious get that fear monkey off him he’s not fully confident throwing long is what I’m reading. I mean that as a compliment.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds about right. Dobbs has done admirably for a QB2. He’s still slightly inferior to Cousins though. He’s efficient, but not dynamic

That KC game is kinda what I meant. We’re an underdog but it’s really the KC Defense that’s been winning games this year. The O has been sputtering as of recent. We’re an underdog, but we are playing at home + we might get a few players added back. Much will depend on our Defense because we should have a hard time moving the ball through the air.

Point being though. If #10 plays just well enough and we find a way to squeak a Win? We’d put the entire league on notice
Chiefs defense has surprised even their own fans. But they have an outstanding DC. They will play us differently than they did the aeagle offense. Nonetheless, they are very solid.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs
D#
1rst Q whole team

Duds
Second half offense.
Carlson
2-3 Lafleur calls
Nor kicking a FG to go up 3 scores and instead failing a 4d conversion.
Double reverse.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
15:00 in the first quarter. If Love hits Watson in stride, it's a TD. But Watson had to almost come to a stop to catch that ball.
You do realize he threw that ball 60 yards? When was the last time you estimated the time and distance match up on a play like that, and got it right?

Asking for a friend.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You do realize he threw that ball 60 yards? When was the last time you estimated the time and distance match up on a play like that, and got it right?

Asking for a friend.
Did that right about the time somebody gave me seven or eight figures to do it.

Reaction score
Duds
Second half offense.
Carlson
2-3 Lafleur calls
Nor kicking a FG to go up 3 scores and instead failing a 4d conversion.
Double reverse.
I agree. Take the points if your Defense has been playing good. At that point we allowed 1 TD. Go up 23-6 there because it’s 3 scores. Imo they made a mistake there in a game that’s starting to get away from the Lions. The natural assumption would be for Dan to go for 2pt conversions
6+8+8 = 22 Take the 23 point score it’s not playing soft, it’s playing smart.
I do understand and appreciate aggressiveness overall though, Matt was trying to take the wind out of the Lions sails, I get that and his philosophy started aggressive and got us a W

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Take the points if your Defense has been playing good. At that point we allowed 1 TD. Go up 23-6 there because it’s 3 scores. Imo they made a mistake there in a game that’s starting to get away from the Lions. The natural assumption would be for Dan to go for 2pt conversions
6+8+8 = 22 Take the 23 point score it’s not playing soft, it’s playing smart.
I do understand and appreciate aggressiveness overall though, Matt was trying to take the wind out of the Lions sails, I get that and his philosophy started aggressive and got us a W
I think they were sure they could pick it up. Saving a special play that exposes a personnel or schematic issue. Can't believe Love botched the play. Turning right instead of left after a timeout and plenty of time to think about it. And it was there had Love done it right.

Reaction score
I think they were sure they could pick it up. Saving a special play that exposes a personnel or schematic issue. Can't believe Love botched the play. Turning right instead of left after a timeout and plenty of time to think about it. And it was there had Love done it right.
Oh I know, if you second guess being proactive, then you second guess the very first play. I don’t blame them for trying to get a big lead against a formidable Detroit Offense. The larger philosophy out ranks the small stuff and whatever we did worked.

Reaction score
Maybe hire Crosby to help him out.
He’s supposed to have a big leg but that long FG in Detroit was 5+ yards short of the post. I can see missing left or right but he’s suppose to have better distance is my point. That looked worse than a Crosby try from 60 because it was short AND left

Some of Carlsons KO’s are barely reaching the paint also. Others have not made it to the pylon and floated out of bounds. It’s an assortment of various concerns really which has me wondering. We cannot put blame the holder or blocking on a KO blunder

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of Carlsons KO’s are barely reaching the paint also.
This I believe is by design. Try to hold the returner to short of the 25.
Others have not made it to the pylon and floated out of bounds.
One game early and it looked like they were trying to pin the returner against the sideline. Always kicking between the numbers is too easy for the return team to set up their blocking.

Reaction score
This I believe is by design. Try to hold the returner to short of the 25.

One game early and it looked like they were trying to pin the returner against the sideline. Always kicking between the numbers is too easy for the return team to set up their blocking.
Who knows. Toying with the pylon is dangerous for several reasons. First of all the returner can keep 1 foot on the chalk and if he grabs that ball
1. +40 yard return.
Many teams are keen to that rule.

The second danger is if the ball misses inside the pylon and goes out? Like it did
2. +40 yard return.

In Carlson’s case he allowed our opponent to start at the 32.5 yard line average across 2 consecutive KO. So they might want to rethink that fancy approach imo :coffee:

Personally I’m ok with just kicking it 2-3 yards into the paint right up the middle. Don’t give our opponent any help or momentum whatsoever.
If they run it out from 3 yards deep? just play the odds. They’ll be starting inside the 20-25 with a good K coverage unit. We’ve got enough things to work on fixing at K without adding things to it.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who knows. Toying with the pylon is dangerous for several reasons. First of all the returner can keep 1 foot on the chalk and if he grabs that ball
1. +40 yard return.
Many teams are keen to that rule.

The second danger is if the ball misses inside the pylon and goes out? Like it did
2. +40 yard return.

In Carlson’s case he allowed our opponent to start at the 32.5 yard line average across 2 consecutive KO. So they might want to rethink that fancy approach imo :coffee:

Personally I’m ok with just kicking it 2-3 yards into the paint right up the middle. Don’t give our opponent any help or momentum whatsoever.
If they run it out from 3 yards deep? just play the odds. They’ll be starting inside the 20-25 with a good K coverage unit. We’ve got enough things to work on fixing at K without adding things to it.
We certainly do.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who was this team?

A little late, but pleasantly shocked with the performance on Thanksgiving.

Obviously Gary was a monster, but we already knew that, The real revelation on Thursday was Jordan Love.

I have admittedly doubted his long-term viability in the past, but this was eye-opening. He just kept making throw after throw, whether it was in rhythm, in the pocket, out of the pocket, off-platform, side-arm, whatever the situation called for. He looked poised, calm, in control, and accurate. The deep balls are still a bit off, but he was otherwise exceptional. This was a high level quarterbacking from start to finish. I may have been wrong, and couldn't be happier.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, we're not talking about a 35 yard toss. It was a LONG throw. I don't care who your QB is, you're generally just happy making the connection. Very few passes that long hit a receiver perfectly in stride. Hell, Rodgers hadn't been particularly accurate at that distance for quite a while.

Members online

Latest posts