The Jordan Love Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No shots..just opinion.

Much like people evaluating Loves performance. One sees good another says , eh.

You realize there are many other social sites posting opinions?? Not just our little packer universe here?
but they do revolve around US

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rodgers would solely be interested in ending up in a perfect situation for him. I don't believe agreeing to a contract with a team acquiring him would result in the Packers benefitting of it though.
According to Peter King, and this is the most recent thing I've heard on this:
Rodgers has the right at the end of this season to demand to be traded. But he has no say as to where he goes.

Who knows if that is accurate or not? But if Rodgers would get traded to a team he didn't want to go to, it seems unlikely that he would sign a new contract with them. Seems more likely that he would wait until the end of the '22 season, when he will be a free agent.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was not that encouraged by the debut of Love. Two straight three and outs to start. I was at the game and he looked nervous and from my take did not handle the pressure well. His TD pass was on a well executed screen play where he had to pass the ball about 3 yards. The only good pass I saw was the strike to Sternberger who was wide open up the middle.

What I will say is that it was his first game without basically any good players. Dillion carried once I believe and the rest was backups. Only Funchess was in for a weapon as a receiver. I wasn't impressed, but it's a small sample size in a preseason game where very little starters were in the game.

There is a little nuance to this as well.

Why did the screen work as well as it did? Certainly Hill’s vision and the blocking helped. Just as certainly, so did Love’s eye discipline. Watch the play, looked off the entire time, then looked right and threw the screen. That kept the defense from engaging right away. Might seem simple/easy, but it isn’t.

I thought Love had a good pocket presence and handled the pressure he got well. Was he as good as Aaron Rodgers? No, but he was just fine. He had a pass to Amari Rodgers that hit him right in the hands between two defenders that got dropped. It was arguably a dumb decision, but I don’t think there’s very many QB’s who could be made that pass either.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Food for thought:

For what it’s worth, Love’s debut was better than that of Aaron Rodgers. In Rodgers’ preseason debut, which came on Aug. 11, 2005, against the San Diego Chargers, he went 2-of-6 passing for 7 yards. He was sacked twice for minus-5 yards, meaning he had 2 net passing yards in five series on a rainy night in which, as he noted during an in-game interview, his headset went out. Rodgers’ career turned out all right despite the shaky preseason debut.

So, if anyone is sweating Love based on his play Saturday night, I guess the message would be...R-E-L-A-X.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Food for thought:

For what it’s worth, Love’s debut was better than that of Aaron Rodgers. In Rodgers’ preseason debut, which came on Aug. 11, 2005, against the San Diego Chargers, he went 2-of-6 passing for 7 yards. He was sacked twice for minus-5 yards, meaning he had 2 net passing yards in five series on a rainy night in which, as he noted during an in-game interview, his headset went out. Rodgers’ career turned out all right despite the shaky preseason debut.

So, if anyone is sweating Love based on his play Saturday night, I guess the message would be...R-E-L-A-X.

I’d add another really good reason not to sweat Love’s play: it was objectively very good.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another good play on tape, but not the box score, was when Love felt the rush, stepped up, threw a little flare to Dillon for like 3-4 yards.

Wasn’t statistically great, but that’s a play that good QB’s have to make. Was nice to see from Love.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Love had a good pocket presence and handled the pressure he got well. Was he as good as Aaron Rodgers? No, but he was just fine.
Can't say I was impressed, but he played all right. The guy hasn't played in a real game for two years (if you consider this real). Our top guys weren't in. He got zero help from the running game. He didn't seem like a guy who would throw you on his back and carry you to the Super Bowl, but Rodgers hasn't done that either. it was a good first step.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't say I was impressed, but he played all right. The guy hasn't played in a real game for two years (if you consider this real). Our top guys weren't in. He got zero help from the running game. He didn't seem like a guy who would throw you on his back and carry you to the Super Bowl, but Rodgers hasn't done that either. it was a good first step.

Basically what you’re saying is that he played well, had no real help from the top guys, had a bad OL, but you still aren’t very impressed. Are you looking for reasons not to be?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Basically what you’re saying is that he played well, had no real help from the top guys, had a bad OL, but you still aren’t very impressed. Are you looking for reasons not to be?
Not at all. As I said, it was a good first step. A TD pass, no INTs, but a fumble, so kind of a wash from that standpoint. Maybe "not impressed" isn't the right choice of words. What I mean is that I didn't see anything that screamed to me "Wow, this guy is going to be something special". Not saying I would expect to this early on. He had a good first outing, we'll see how he builds on it. We've had two very special QBs back to back with Favre and Rodgers, it would be more unusual to be impressed IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was not that encouraged by the debut of Love. Two straight three and outs to start. I was at the game and he looked nervous and from my take did not handle the pressure well. His TD pass was on a well executed screen play where he had to pass the ball about 3 yards. The only good pass I saw was the strike to Sternberger who was wide open up the middle.

What I will say is that it was his first game without basically any good players. Dillion carried once I believe and the rest was backups. Only Funchess was in for a weapon as a receiver. I wasn't impressed, but it's a small sample size in a preseason game where very little starters were in the game.

I'm surprised that you weren't impressed with Love. While he wasn't perfect by any means (lost fumble and two throws into double coverage that might get picked by a starting cornerback) he performed at a significant better level than a lot of experienced quarterbacks I watched during the preseason.

I especially liked him keeping his eyes downfield despite not being protected very well as well as the zip on his throws.

Rodgers has the right at the end of this season to demand to be traded. But he has no say as to where he goes.

Who knows if that is accurate or not? But if Rodgers would get traded to a team he didn't want to go to, it seems unlikely that he would sign a new contract with them. Seems more likely that he would wait until the end of the '22 season, when he will be a free agent.

I highly doubt that to be correct with Rodgers being under contract for the 2022 season.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How is that different from any other player? They all can demand to be traded can't they? Or does he mean the Packers HAVE to trade him if he demands it.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I'm surprised that you weren't impressed with Love. While he wasn't perfect by any means (lost fumble and two throws into double coverage that might get picked by a starting cornerback) he performed at a significant better level than a lot of experienced quarterbacks I watched during the preseason.
Take it for what you want, but one of the reasons I wasn't impressed was because I was at the game. I watched him in warm ups and his deep ball was inaccurate and wobbly. The others were what you mentioned there. The lost fumble and the forced passes. The pass down the middle was a good read and on time. The screen was well designed, but most of that work is done by the o-line and running back.

I want it to work out with Love. I'm just a bit more skeptical. Also, keep in mind, I did say this is a small sample size. This little half of football in the preseason against mainly 2nd stringers is hard to judge anything by. I just don't like crowning players before they truly get a test. I was never much on him before the Packers drafted him, but am rooting for him to be the next great QB for the Packers.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another good play on tape, but not the box score, was when Love felt the rush, stepped up, threw a little flare to Dillon for like 3-4 yards.

Wasn’t statistically great, but that’s a play that good QB’s have to make. Was nice to see from Love.

That particular play reminded me a lot of Rodgers...very smooth

Last edited:
Reaction score
To bad for Love getting hurt on the 1st. preseason game.
I hope he isn't one of those injury prion QB's.

Then again if you looked at Bart Star in his rookery days,
he look pretty frail to play football.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm surprised that you weren't impressed with Love.
Look, I'm not declaring him a bust, it was only his first game. He did okay. I just wasn't wowed, I wasn't thinking "Wow, I can't wait for this guy to take the field as our starter". Seven points in a half isn't going to do that.

How is that different from any other player? They all can demand to be traded can't they? Or does he mean the Packers HAVE to trade him if he demands it.
I took it to mean that the Packers have agreed to trade him after this season, IF that's what he wants. At least that's what King said, but who knows if he has accurate information?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, it's those little things that make a difference.

Could have easily been a sack, or he could have thrown a pick there. He kept his head and avoided disaster. Not bad for his first game.

Krabs

Reaction score
Look, I'm not declaring him a bust, it was only his first game. He did okay. I just wasn't wowed, I wasn't thinking "Wow, I can't wait for this guy to take the field as our starter". Seven points in a half isn't going to do that.
This is where I'm at. I wasn't wowed. It was okay. I'm looking forward to seeing him again. Sounds like he won't play this next one, but there is a third preseason. game. He needs the work.

Krabs

Reaction score
One thing I will add is that I feel more comfortable going into the 2021 season with what appears to at least be a manageable backup. If Rodgers goes down for 4-6 games I would not feel like the season would be over. I feel like with Love as backup we would have a chance if injury did take place. That is better than the past. Insert Seneca Wallace gif here.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
People who were unimpressed with Love seem to be those pointing to the results of the drive and/or the score.

People who were impressed with Love seem to be those pointing to what he actually did individually.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People who were unimpressed with Love seem to be those pointing to the results of the drive and/or the score.

People who were impressed with Love seem to be those pointing to what he actually did individually.
I don't think so. It seems to be more about how you define "impressed". Did he do a good job, for his first game? Sure. Did he jump off the screen at me? No.

D

Deleted member 6794

Take it for what you want, but one of the reasons I wasn't impressed was because I was at the game. I watched him in warm ups and his deep ball was inaccurate and wobbly. The others were what you mentioned there. The lost fumble and the forced passes. The pass down the middle was a good read and on time. The screen was well designed, but most of that work is done by the o-line and running back.

I want it to work out with Love. I'm just a bit more skeptical. Also, keep in mind, I did say this is a small sample size. This little half of football in the preseason against mainly 2nd stringers is hard to judge anything by. I just don't like crowning players before they truly get a test. I was never much on him before the Packers drafted him, but am rooting for him to be the next great QB for the Packers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not crowning Love by any means but in my opinion he showed promise in his first preseason game. There's absolutely no doubt he has to clean up some things but overall I liked what I saw from him.

I took it to mean that the Packers have agreed to trade him after this season, IF that's what he wants. At least that's what King said, but who knows if he has accurate information?

Points scored in a preseason game is a terrible way of evaluating an individual player's performance.

While the Packers might have told Rodgers they trade him after this season if he wants to they don't have to with him being under contract for 2022.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's kind of what I got right away when it was announced he was returning. I guess the word "demand" just threw me a bit. It sounded to me like both sides have agreed to trade if that's what Rodgers wants while demand seems a little one sided.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The other team was the Texans and it's pre season

Status
Not open for further replies.