The 5 Love Directions

Phil Young

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love is caught between a rock & a hard place. IF he asks for a trade he is disloyal to Packers & if he sits behind Rodgers he's an idiot for not asking for a trade. Or that is how it looks to me reading some of the comments on here.

We drafted Love as at that moment in time Rodgers was coming off a poor season & team had to look at was this the beginning of the end for #12. they rolled the dice & got it wrong. How many get it right 100% of the time?

Not me that's for sure.

D

Deleted member 6794

Pretty funny on the you being Loves Uber :laugh:You guys would have a tremendous amount to chat about on that drive! He’d probably jumo out of your vehicle while it was still moving:roflmao:

As I've mentioned several times, I don't have anything against Love at all. I just think it was a terrible mistake to draft a quarterback at that point.

Who in the world said he is suffering?

Buggy mentioned something about it which started some of the discussion.

We drafted Love as at that moment in time Rodgers was coming off a poor season & team had to look at was this the beginning of the end for #12. they rolled the dice & got it wrong. How many get it right 100% of the time?

I agree there's no general manager who gets it right all of the time. But, Gutekunst took a huge risk by trading up to select Love in the first round while having a future HOF quarterback on the roster. In that case he should have better gotten it right. At this point it seems like it was a terrible mistake though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love is caught between a rock & a hard place. IF he asks for a trade he is disloyal to Packers & if he sits behind Rodgers he's an idiot for not asking for a trade. Or that is how it looks to me reading some of the comments on here.

Not me that's for sure.
It would be one thing if he came out in the preseason and just jumped out over everyone. Looked smooth, in control, accurate etc. Played a half, or more and consistently scored and ran this offense. Gets in a game, shows his skills pretty well and then sits, and he's done this for a season or 2. Then MAYBE he has some leverage in asking and some performance behind him to actually attract other teams.

As it stands? and I say all this knowing full well he did NOT have a normal start to his career, he missed much of it to start because of Covid. No preseason, no OTA's, No QB camps, nothing. But he's looked calm, but can't read a rush at all, looks like a rookie running an offense. Very disjointed, not much flow. Has been fairly inaccurate at times with some pretty open receivers, too high a lot of times. Those are going to get picked off a lot in this league. He looks like a guy who has potential yes, he hasn't looked like a guy that is ready to lead an offense in the NFL at all yet.

If he had killed it last year in the preseason against all those back ups and was running everything with ease in practice or had a 26-30 298yd performance and 3 TD's and no INT's against KC, there's a good chance Hackett isn't asking to trade for an older and almost done Rodgers, he's asking Elway to make a trade for the young guy sitting on the bench.

this is his 2nd full offseason and will be his 3rd year. If he wants out, perform. It's that simple. Light it up on the offseason, impress your own coaches. Impress the joint practice coaches, then put it on the field where you're going to play the majority of the preseason snaps. Then ask going into the next season. To ask now? that would be pretty detrimental. I'd question if it was poor advice, or a poor attitude that made that request.

but to clarify, I don't believe he's feeling that way at all. I'm sure he wants to play, I don't think he's going to pout about it though.

Reaction score
His trade value now is higher than it will be the more time that passes with only the exception of a Rodgers injury otherwise he will not see true time with keys in hand and his cheap contract will be shorter with each day.

If Gute would consider trading him now is the time
See I think this year or next is trivial in the difference of his net worth. Due to him still having a year left next season and being in a good QB room.

Plus, let’s use a hypothetical and say Love garners that 2nd round grade we’ve seen tossed around in a trade scenario (which is reasonable). If a team instead used that same 2nd rounder at QB in this draft then give me the name of a QB available that won’t take several years to develop? Is that early couple seasons on a Rookie contract wasted time? They’ll lose that part of the investment either way is my point. Just as you did with Love.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers aren’t going to get anything worthwhile in trade. Love might have had some hype in his draft class but he’s looked bad while playing in actual games. Best opportunity is that he signs elsewhere and packers get compensatory draft pick. There are awful teams in the NFL so i can’t say it won’t happen but i don’t see why any team would trade a decent draft pick for Jordan Love.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We STILL have no idea what contract AR is playing '22 on, how can Love's future be decided, today? Maybe GB needs his services due to a Rodgers injury? What if AR retires after GB wins the Super Bowl? I'd much rather have Love waiting in the wings than to sign (at double or triple Love's pay) Trubisky, Mariota, or other tried & flamed-out high pick QB.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Packers aren’t going to get anything worthwhile in trade. Love might have had some hype in his draft class but he’s looked bad while playing in actual games. Best opportunity is that he signs elsewhere and packers get compensatory draft pick. There are awful teams in the NFL so i can’t say it won’t happen but i don’t see why any team would trade a decent draft pick for Jordan Love.
Looked bad in games? 1 and a half?

As I sarcasticly said a few times. He threw a td in KC and Rodgers didnt throw 1 at home

Not re hashing my thoughts...but this narrative of Love haters is old

Care to make a bet?

I say a 2nd

Reaction score
Care to make a bet?

I say a 2nd
I agree.
Gute n Co have been largely successful at evaluating talent. While it might be argued we reached with our 4th rounder packaged, we weren’t out of line with dozens of projections and he was selected right in the consensus sweet spot (late Day 1).
Jordan’s ceiling was #5 overall and
I remember reliable sources saying he would either go to Miami early.. New England (#23?) the Packers or the Colts (#34). They were actually spot on correct. The Packers it was

In my opinion there was a 75% chance Love was selected before #35 overall. I think Gute was worried that the Colts might leap frog us.

There’s a trend I’ve seen with some fans regarding players who underperform in their first full season. They completely write them off as “lost” to somehow appease their disgust because THEY wouldn’t have picked them. AFTER 1 START! So they make unreasonable projections to sabotage the player to allow themselves to cope. You almost can’t debate with crazy.. and if you do it’s contagious.

Last edited:

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone who thought Loves ceiling was #5 overall is an absolute moron.

The truth is Gute has been trying to replace Rodgers for years instead of building around Rodgers. The guys a muppet.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahh yes, he goes on the largest FA spending spree we’ve seen decades, turner, Amos, smith, smith etc, signs Rodgers to an extension and another one reported and you interpret that as trying to replace him rather than build a team around him?

Id wonder how you arrive at some of these conclusions, but some questions are best left unanswered lol

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahh yes, he goes on the largest FA spending spree we’ve seen decades, turner, Amos, smith, smith etc, signs Rodgers to an extension and another one reported and you interpret that as trying to replace him rather than build a team around him?

Id wonder how you arrive at some of these conclusions, but some questions are best left unanswered lol
Yeah now Gute wants to resign Rodgers because he realizes he was wrong. His plan was 100% to dump him. Even the FA contracts were set up to balloon the year Gute was going to dump Rodgers.

Those FA signings he had to make because the team had no talent thanks to TTs 2015 draft that brought us nothing worth retaining.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is not a single decision that shows gute has wanted to dump Rodgers. At best you could say he drafted Love. So I’ll give you 1

Vs 10 big ones centered at putting a strong team around his QB.

Reaction score
Pat had it right. Love has turned into an absolutely battlefield. How could she have known?

D

Deleted member 6794

If a team instead used that same 2nd rounder at QB in this draft then give me the name of a QB available that won’t take several years to develop? Is that early couple seasons on a Rookie contract wasted time? They’ll lose that part of the investment either way is my point. Just as you did with Love.

A team trading for Love would have to make a decision on signing him to a decent contract in two years compared to four years when drafting one in this year's draft. That's a significant difference.

Best opportunity is that he signs elsewhere and packers get compensatory draft pick.

I highly doubt any team would sign Love to a deal resulting in a decent compensatory pick for the Packers if he sits behind Rodgers for another two seasons.

There’s a trend I’ve seen with some fans regarding players who underperform in their first full season. They completely write them off as “lost” to somehow appease their disgust because THEY wouldn’t have picked them. AFTER 1 START! So they make unreasonable projections to sabotage the player to allow themselves to cope. You almost can’t debate with crazy.. and if you do it’s contagious.

I would be delighted if Love ends up being the next HOF quarterback for the Packers. But as I've mentioned repeatedly it was a mistake to select a quarterback in the first round of the 2020 draft in the first place. In addition the early returns aren't promising as well.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If he stays in GB through his contract expiring I highly doubt he signs anything worth above a 6th in compensatory back or so...you could trade him today in less than an hour for a 5th rounder; even folks that think he sucks understand the immense value of return at such a low return as that.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A team trading for Love would have to make a decision on signing him to a decent contract in two years compared to four years when drafting one in this year's draft. That's a significant difference.

This is one reason why I kinda feel Love could be a draft Day 1 or Day 2 trade - there are some teams hunting for that QB, and if it doesn't fall as they want Love could be the best potential swing at their future there is.

The Colts are the team I'm very curious on because they have no first round pick, giving up their future massive draft equity isn't something they seem inclined or type of organization to do....so is Love on their radar and Day 1 ends and the only one or two QBs they like are gone for their #42 pick - could Gute get their #42 pick for Love? If so I say you gotta take it, still high enough to hit roster with a solid player in the Rodgers window....gonna be crazy next few days and then draft.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do you think the Packers would pick up Love's 5th year option?

What? He has two seasons left on his rookie deal (3rd year 2022 and 4th year 2023). I don't believe Capt said he thinks the Packers would do the 5th year option - that is impossible as it would cost $20M and appears team wants Rodgers still here as well in that time frame.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looked bad in games? 1 and a half?

As I sarcasticly said a few times. He threw a td in KC and Rodgers didnt throw 1 at home

Not re hashing my thoughts...but this narrative of Love haters is old

Care to make a bet?

I say a 2nd

I'm no Love hater, I'm a the-draft-pick-of-a-QB-hater. Once he became a Packer I want him to excel. And yes, it's 1-and-a-half games. That's the sample size. Pretending it's not doesn't suddenly mean he's played in more games or has looked decent in any of them.

Yes, a 2nd might be possible. Heck, people are beginning to talk up Trubisky as a free-agent so I'm not taking anything off the table. I just haven't seen anything from him since his junior year in college to indicate he's worth a 2nd round pick.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have more confidence in extending Adams than I do of an AR extension that gives AR his $$ but protects GB from getting stuck with HUGE cap hit if/when AR decides to retire. Would need to guarantee '22 and be heavily bonus-loaded to allow GB an "out" if AR packs it in. Aaron could fix this dilemma by guaranteeing that he'll play thru '23 or '24 but I doubt he's willing to do so. Still think there's a small chance of a Wed. early-afternoon trade of AR to Pittsburgh or Carolina.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is no reason to trade Love:

1) He doesn't have a lot of trade value right now based on his past performance
2) Rodgers could be injured at any moment (like any NFL starting QB) and Love would become the starter
3) Rodgers could retire after the 2022 season (or demand a trade/hold out) and Love would become the starter

The Packers don't have to worry about the 5th year option for a while so there's no reason to project what will happen as so many variables could change before the decision point.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts