The Jordan Love Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If Rodgers has another MVP season, he plays again if he wants to. I don't foresee GB getting anything in Trade for Rodgers, I think that ship has sailed and I think now more than ever, if it's trade or retire, he just retires. So, we'll move to Love when Rodgers is done by choice or by level of play.

I’m curious— why wouldn’t they get anything in a trade for Rodgers?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
because i think he'll just retire

If he’s willing to do that. But if he wants to play and the Packers call his bluff, he could definitely be traded. I think the organization showed this off-season that they will play hard ball will him.

Tarzan2490

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he’s willing to do that. But if he wants to play and the Packers call his bluff, he could definitely be traded. I think the organization showed this off-season that they will play hard ball will him.

I mean, I think Rodgers would have a little more leverage if Love doesn't do to great. I don't watch to much college football so I don't know how next year's draft will look in the qb department if Green Bay wanted to go down that road again.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I mean, I think Rodgers would have a little more leverage if Love doesn't do to great. I don't watch to much college football so I don't know how next year's draft will look in the qb department if Green Bay wanted to go down that road again.

It isn’t supposed to be nearly as strong.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
because i think he'll just retire
Same here. I think the way things unfolded this past off season, regardless of who was at fault, Rodgers didn't want to go out like that. They negotiated a way out for both sides to be able to part amicably be it after this season or next or whenever. Rodgers will get his wish to play his entire career as a Packer and the Packers get their best chance to win it all for at least 1 more year.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if Rodgers plays really well and stays healthy; he will want to play another year. Whether we want him or not is a question as is if there is a very good fit that is to his liking. But I think if he thinks he can win another (after this year) Super Bowl; he will play somewhere. For me, even if he gives us a great shot to win his 3rd Super Bowl; I would still have to consider all the implications. And I don't think that is an enviable task. I am not in the camp that will sacrifice years for one Super Bowl.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My only question, let's say Love finishes decently but not too strong. Rodgers has another MVP season and wants to stay. Do you go with Love and the future? or let him sit one more year under Rodgers?
I tend to think you stay with Rodgers as long as you can. Whether or not he wants to stay is another thing entirely. I don't think we get a lot from trading Rodgers, because he only has one more year on his contract after this one.

D

Deleted member 6794

First of all I was impressed with the way Love played in his first preseason game with the Packers. It's way too early to make any definite statements but it was a very good start.

I don't believe the Packers played hard ball with him at all. According to several reports they offered him a deal to become the highest paid quarterback in the league but didn't understand that's not what he was looking for.

Once camp rolled around they restructured his deal allowing him to leave after the 2022 season and appeased him by trading for Cobb. Most likely he received a seat on Gutekunst's front office table as well.

I think if Rodgers plays really well and stays healthy; he will want to play another year. Whether we want him or not is a question as is if there is a very good fit that is to his liking. But I think if he thinks he can win another (after this year) Super Bowl; he will play somewhere. For me, even if he gives us a great shot to win his 3rd Super Bowl; I would still have to consider all the implications. And I don't think that is an enviable task. I am not in the camp that will sacrifice years for one Super Bowl.

The Packers should keep Rodgers as long as he gives the team the best chance of winning a Super Bowl. Even if that results in a need to save some cap space at other positions.

That doesn't end up in the Packers not being relevant for years because of it though.

I tend to think you stay with Rodgers as long as you can. Whether or not he wants to stay is another thing entirely. I don't think we get a lot from trading Rodgers, because he only has one more year on his contract after this one.

A team acquiring Rodgers could sign him to a new deal in a heartbeat, even talk about it with him before agreeing to a trade.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A team acquiring Rodgers could sign him to a new deal in a heartbeat, even talk about it with him before agreeing to a trade.
I still wonder how much we would get for him in a situation like that. And things reaching that point would imply that Rodgers would be wanting to leave. How much would he be wanting to help us in such a situation?

D

Deleted member 6794

I still wonder how much we would get for him in a situation like that. And things reaching that point would imply that Rodgers would be wanting to leave. How much would he be wanting to help us in such a situation?

I think Rodgers would solely be interested in ending up in a perfect situation for him. I don't believe agreeing to a contract with a team acquiring him would result in the Packers benefitting of it though.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
This was an encouraging debut for Love.

Good start!
I was not that encouraged by the debut of Love. Two straight three and outs to start. I was at the game and he looked nervous and from my take did not handle the pressure well. His TD pass was on a well executed screen play where he had to pass the ball about 3 yards. The only good pass I saw was the strike to Sternberger who was wide open up the middle.

What I will say is that it was his first game without basically any good players. Dillion carried once I believe and the rest was backups. Only Funchess was in for a weapon as a receiver. I wasn't impressed, but it's a small sample size in a preseason game where very little starters were in the game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the little I saw, looks about like I expected. He showed he certainly has the eye discipline and the ability to sling that ball. He also has a ways to go. I certainly wasn't discouraged by what I saw. The Oline certainly wasn't helping anyone out, passing or running. The game was more of an indictment on some of those guys than anything.

Krabs

Reaction score
From the little I saw, looks about like I expected. He showed he certainly has the eye discipline and the ability to sling that ball. He also has a ways to go. I certainly wasn't discouraged by what I saw. The Oline certainly wasn't helping anyone out, passing or running. The game was more of an indictment on some of those guys than anything.
I would agree with that. He did not have much help beyond Funchess who is probably 5-6 on the WR depth chart. Hill had the nice TD run on the screen and was okay. It's hard to say after a half of football with everyone's 2nd to 3rd stringers on the field.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would agree with that. He did not have much help beyond Funchess who is probably 5-6 on the WR depth chart. Hill had the nice TD run on the screen and was okay. It's hard to say after a half of football with everyone's 2nd to 3rd stringers on the field.
Malik Taylor played well. 5 for 5.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rodgers fans will see love debuet as not good...others are engourged.

Shocking

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Shocking
Yeah, when I look at boards, it is really amazing (with several of the players) how some think one thing about a player and others completely different.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Shocking
Not only am I engorged but encouraged by Love's play!! (just messing with you LT ;)) He hung in the pocket, moved around a bit while keeping his eyes downfield and made it to his 3rd read many times. Shows he has some pocket poise & presence and isn't afraid to make his reads and (most of the time) deliver a catchable ball. The screen pass he throw 3/4-side armed to avoid a rusher's reach. The seam pass to Sternberger he had enough "touch" or loft to get it over the ILB in the zone in front of Jace. While not a lights-out game showed enough progression for me to be engorged. :)

Krabs

Reaction score

Shocking
Love's debut doesn't have anything to do with Rodgers. While I'm glad Rodgers is on the team because it gives us the best shot at a Super Bowl, I'm not a fan of his passive aggressive behavior off the field. It's been fun watching Rodgers career and having him on the Packers. When his career comes to an end I doubt I will shed a tear. I don't see much of a connection between being a Rodgers fan and that making anyone dislike Love's first half of preseason football.

That all aside, I wasn't that impressed. I was at the game and watched him warm up. It didn't seem he was that accurate and his arm strength seemed to be lacking. To reiterate from before, the Packers sat 30 players for this game. It's hard to judge based off of this little nugget of a sample size. Funchess and Taylor were his WR's. It would be interesting to see him play with higher caliber players. Unfortunately, he is dinged up and it might have to wait till the 3rd preseason game.

Again, not sure the connection between Rodgers and judging Love's first action in a preseason game.

Krabs

Reaction score
Malik Taylor played well. 5 for 5.
That he did. At this point I still don't see him making it unless they keep seven. Love seemed to have a connection with Funchess.

Adams, MVS, Lazard, Cobb, Rodgers, Funchess, with Taylor on the outside looking in.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

Shocking
I'm among the biggest of AR's fans you'll ever see, but I also acknowledge that Love was impressive in his debut. See my post in the game thread.

I do agree however that most would fall into the categories you laid out.

Krabs

Reaction score
I'm among the biggest of AR's fans you'll ever see, but I also acknowledge that Love was impressive in his debut. See my post in the game thread.

I do agree however that most would fall into the categories you laid out.
I don't see it that way at all. I see it as @longtimefan taking shots at people who are Rodgers fans. One can like or dislike Rodgers while also liking and hoping for the best for Love. I think that is the category that most people fall into. Having an opinion on Rodgers while also hoping the Packers hit on a 3rd QB in a row.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To my eyes, Love looked nervous the first couple of series, and then the pack took the training wheels off and let him sling it - Six for six on the touchdown drive. For someone who hadn't played in over a year, and never in the NFL, it was hard not to be impressed by that.

The injury that will take snaps away from him is a bummer, but I understand the Packer's desire not to take any chances with him in meaningless games. Still, he needs reps.

Small sample size, but so far so good.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only am I engorged but encouraged by Love's play!! (just messing with you LT ;)) He hung in the pocket, moved around a bit while keeping his eyes downfield and made it to his 3rd read many times. Shows he has some pocket poise & presence and isn't afraid to make his reads and (most of the time) deliver a catchable ball. The screen pass he throw 3/4-side armed to avoid a rusher's reach. The seam pass to Sternberger he had enough "touch" or loft to get it over the ILB in the zone in front of Jace. While not a lights-out game showed enough progression for me to be engorged. :)
usually they say things are pointless without pics, but in this instance, we don't need pictures, i'm sure of it. Unless you have a new pair or crocs to show everyone?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see it that way at all. I see it as @longtimefan taking shots at people who are Rodgers fans. One can like or dislike Rodgers while also liking and hoping for the best for Love. I think that is the category that most people fall into. Having an opinion on Rodgers while also hoping the Packers hit on a 3rd QB in a row.
No shots..just opinion.

Much like people evaluating Loves performance. One sees good another says , eh.

You realize there are many other social sites posting opinions?? Not just our little packer universe here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts