2024 2nd Rd pick #58 Javon Bullard S

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He isn’t that bad lol
Nixon is an average DB, maybe a little above average. He's gonna make his living returning kickoffs this year. I'm hoping one of the Safeties drafted can drop down in the slot if Nixon doesn't show improvement.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Safeties play slot a lot, well some. Bullard last year was their slot safety and played it very well and then this year Smith played there and Bullard was rolled deep alignment a lot in 2023 and played it well.
Agreed. Bullard seems to solve a few problems - starting S, part time slot DB, and apparently very happy to be in GB.

I'm curious, what is your take now on the CB group, sans safeties? The only surefire starters are JA and Valentine (hoping Valentine continues his solid rookie play). I just don't think Stokes makes it back. If he does and can approach his rookie performance, it will be a solid unit.

Taken as a whole, the 5 guys in the backfield are a solid improvement over last year. A proven veteran in X and a promising rookie in Bullard.

Gluten was clearly drafting for speed first, and that will be necessary in Hafley's man scheme. Anyway, I wanted to get your take. They now have a very athletic LB group who can cover. That will help with short crossing routes.

One other question - who on defense will wear the green dot? My understanding is that it won't be Walker or Cooper. Can a CB do this, or a S?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Gute was drafting for roles more than just speed in his DB picks. Oladapo is your proverbial thumper box safety. He lacks the speed to play free safety but has the size to bring the wood in the running game. I see him in there more on running plays. Bullard has the speed to play free safety and slot CB. He'll be in there on passing downs. Williams was a reach pick that could've been taken in the 6th round. He lacks athleticism. Maybe he's a backup box safety. I'm hoping he's a good special teamer otherwise I don't see a role for him. Wouldn't surprise me if he lands on the practice squad.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a changing of the guard... and that tells me Rudy Ford won't be back ;)
Good point. Especially after this draft. If these rookies live up to their press, Ford will be cut. He was adequate as safety and he'll find another team. He just doesn't fit where Gluten is taking this team.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Good point. Especially after this draft. If these rookies live up to their press, Ford will be cut. He was adequate as safety and he'll find another team. He just doesn't fit where Gluten is taking this team.
Ford is a FA, he isn’t on the roster. But there was talk, wondering if we would try to resign him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Bullard seems to solve a few problems - starting S, part time slot DB, and apparently very happy to be in GB.

I'm curious, what is your take now on the CB group, sans safeties? The only surefire starters are JA and Valentine (hoping Valentine continues his solid rookie play). I just don't think Stokes makes it back. If he does and can approach his rookie performance, it will be a solid unit.

Taken as a whole, the 5 guys in the backfield are a solid improvement over last year. A proven veteran in X and a promising rookie in Bullard.

Gluten was clearly drafting for speed first, and that will be necessary in Hafley's man scheme. Anyway, I wanted to get your take. They now have a very athletic LB group who can cover. That will help with short crossing routes.

One other question - who on defense will wear the green dot? My understanding is that it won't be Walker or Cooper. Can a CB do this, or a S?
Stokes has proven when healthy he is more than Valentine. I think folks are getting way ahead of themselves on Valentine.

I loved him, and he did very well for a CB I expected to go earlier on Day3 but he still isn’t close to what Stokes was his rookie year.

I think between the two of them one will emerge

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Stokes has proven when healthy he is more than Valentine. I think folks are getting way ahead of themselves on Valentine.

I loved him, and he did very well for a CB I expected to go earlier on Day3 but he still isn’t close to what Stokes was his rookie year.

I think NOT drafting a CB states that they feel better about the CB room, than the fans do.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I agree but I think the fans pretty much always think any room is worse than the GM does.
The fans also complained Barry was using the CB 's wrong. He wasn't allowing the CB's to play as aggressive and giving to much cushion. Well, if Hafley changes that, we will see if that improves the performance of these guys. Andy Herman mentioned on a podcast I listened to, this weekend, that Stokes is fully healthy. With Stokes, they also have Jaire, Valentine, Ballentine, drafted Kalen King (who last year at this time, was considered a 1st Rd pick for this yr). Add Nixon in the slot, and Bullard is a versatile piece who has experience in the slot, so there are plenty of guys. Hopefully they can perform at a high level, and stay healthy.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Valentine is off to a good start, but as we learned with Stokes after a stellar rookie season, guys have to stay healthy and productive. I do hope Stokes regains form and if Valentine continues his solid play, the CB group looks a lot better. And maybe that was Gluten's thinking. MLF said Stokes looks great in OTAs.

I thought it was interesting that 3 safeties were selected v 1 CB. Tells me Gluten and MLF are much more focused on tightening the safety group, and now, and maybe have more confidence in the CBs than most of us.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ford is a FA, he isn’t on the roster. But there was talk, wondering if we would try to resign him.
Good question. Well he remains unsigned and Gluten took 3 safeties. Sounds to me like Ford will be somewhere else this season.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Good question. Well he remains unsigned and Gluten took 3 safeties. Sounds to me like Ford will be somewhere else this season.
That was my thoughts, plus they already gave Bullard his #20 jersey. They have 7 Safeties on the roster ( 3 draft picks, McKinney, Anthony Johnson Jr, Benny Sapp, and Zane Anderson)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Why He Will Succeed: I think Bullard's success will largely depend on the position he is placed in. If the personnel around him and the coaches' deployment allows him to be in a role where he can thrive (some safety and a lot of slot), then I think his skills will blossom nicely.

Why He Would Fail: I could see Bullard struggling if he's just asked to be a starting safety, especially if he's supposed to be the guy who does the bulk of the box work. I see on tape that he's a very violent, aggressive player, but guys his size do not become enforcers in the NFL.

My Guess: I bet they drafted Bullard primarily with the slot in mind, and I would guess that that's where we see him for the most part now and into the future. Many people commented that the Packers waited so long to take a corner and I think it's possible that they view Bullard as a guy who can do some of the work that a corner would normally do.

Upside Comp: Bullard's best case scenario is a Budda Baker type of player.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was my thoughts, plus they already gave Bullard his #20 jersey. They have 7 Safeties on the roster ( 3 draft picks, McKinney, Anthony Johnson Jr, Benny Sapp, and Zane Anderson)
Pretty clear what Gluten wanted to fix in this draft. And it's especially telling that he only took one CB, and in the 7th round I think.

At least for right now, he's done almost all he can to right the Safety group. And I really liked the rest of this draft, even the QB he took, following a Wolf/TT tradition. A backup QB can be developed into valuable trade capital later. Just all around good work.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why He Will Succeed: I think Bullard's success will largely depend on the position he is placed in. If the personnel around him and the coaches' deployment allows him to be in a role where he can thrive (some safety and a lot of slot), then I think his skills will blossom nicely.

Why He Would Fail: I could see Bullard struggling if he's just asked to be a starting safety, especially if he's supposed to be the guy who does the bulk of the box work. I see on tape that he's a very violent, aggressive player, but guys his size do not become enforcers in the NFL.

My Guess: I bet they drafted Bullard primarily with the slot in mind, and I would guess that that's where we see him for the most part now and into the future. Many people commented that the Packers waited so long to take a corner and I think it's possible that they view Bullard as a guy who can do some of the work that a corner would normally do.

Interesting perspective. Did he play mostly slot or S in college? I just want to avoid another Micah Hyde situation, where they play a true S at CB. Hyde thrived in Buffalo when they switched him to S. You make good points though about why he may be better utilized in the slot.

My guess is that they'll give Nixon a chance to start at slot and put Bullard at S. If Nixon underwhelms, they can move Bullard down and use someone else to pair with McKinney.

As long as they don't play someone completely out of his best position, this is a good situation. Or to put it another way, if Bullard is truly interchangeable at S or slot, it's a big win. That's why Gluten took 3 safeties I think. And aside from Bullard, I like Oladapo at S for depth and to keep other guys fresh.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Interesting perspective. Did he play mostly slot or S in college? I just want to avoid another Micah Hyde situation, where they play a true S at CB. Hyde thrived in Buffalo when they switched him to S. You make good points though about why he may be better utilized in the slot.

My guess is that they'll give Nixon a chance to start at slot and put Bullard at S. If Nixon underwhelms, they can move Bullard down and use someone else to pair with McKinney.

As long as they don't play someone completely out of his best position, this is a good situation. Or to put it another way, if Bullard is truly interchangeable at S or slot, it's a big win. That's why Gluten took 3 safeties I think. And aside from Bullard, I like Oladapo at S for depth and to keep other guys fresh.

He was their primary nickel in 2022 and then moved to safety this past year because Tykee Smith transferred.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was their primary nickel in 2022 and then moved to safety this past year because Tykee Smith transferred.
Thanks Dantes. Well he's got plenty of snaps at both positions. I won't be surprised if he plays more slot. McKinney and maybe Oladapo will be the safeties. I still think Nixon gets a shot to earn the starting slot gig, but Bullard should win that competition in TC and the PS.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Packers have better options at box safety. Bullard has the speed to play in the slot or free safety. Agree that playing him at box safety is a mismatch. On passing downs, I can see him playing in the slot and on running downs I can see him playing some free safety.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers have better options at box safety. Bullard has the speed to play in the slot or free safety. Agree that playing him at box safety is a mismatch. On passing downs, I can see him playing in the slot and on running downs I can see him playing some free safety.

I actually would predict something different, but it's just conjecture:

Feature more in the slot in run-heavy situations or gameplans and more at safety when the gameplan is more pass-centric.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Thanks Dantes. Well he's got plenty of snaps at both positions. I won't be surprised if he plays more slot. McKinney and maybe Oladapo will be the safeties. I still think Nixon gets a shot to earn the starting slot gig, but Bullard should win that competition in TC and the PS.

Per Zach Kruse on X:

2023: 81 slot snaps, 18 targets, 7 receptions, 57 yards, 0 TD, 1 INT

2022: 330 slot snaps, 50 targets, 32 receptions, 292 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT

Over the 2 seasons, allowed 57% completion into his coverage, 5.1 Yds/Target.

Also notable-- he had 7 TFL in 2022 when he was playing more from the slot.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty clear what Gluten wanted to fix in this draft. And it's especially telling that he only took one CB, and in the 7th round I think.

At least for right now, he's done almost all he can to right the Safety group. And I really liked the rest of this draft, even the QB he took, following a Wolf/TT tradition. A backup QB can be developed into valuable trade capital later. Just all around good work.
He wanted to fix the Defense more than patch holes and re-enforce the solid areas. Next year I think we can go back to the re-enforcing.

Members online

Latest posts