The Free Agency Thread

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't have Reid at the top of the free agent wish list at this point has either not seen him play or is allowing non-football reasons to affect their judgement.
I wouldn't care if we signed him , but non-football reasons do affect judgements and they should.

I get a feeling that the front office like our DB's at this point, HaHa will be a starter, and Jones will be given every chance. Brice is a thumper, if healthy, and i'm not sure about Whitehead yet. CB room is set, I suspect if we sign any FA's it will be TE, OL, Edge

D

Deleted member 6794

I wouldn't care if we signed him , but non-football reasons do affect judgements and they should.

With Reid filing a collusion grievance against the league today I have a hard time believing any team is interested in signing him now.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I wonder if he tried to convince Kenny Vaccaro and Tre Boston to join his collusion grievance, seems like they are unsigned top free agent Safeties as well. :coffee:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt he'll last long on the roster either once 53s are mandatory . Unless they lose some of their QBs

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dante fowler's option not being picked up by jags. eight sacks last year. hmmmm

I'd love to make a run a him next year if he stays healthy no way he's going to be in our price range.

Strange move by the Jags. Was hurt his rookie year but has worked his way back nicely and is a premium position

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd love to make a run a him next year if he stays healthy no way he's going to be in our price range.

Strange move by the Jags. Was hurt his rookie year but has worked his way back nicely and is a premium position
Wonder what we don’t know?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Wonder what we don’t know?

$14.2 million (guaranteed for injury) for that 5th year option. With all the guys the Jags have on that defense, I don't blame them for making him earn a new contract.

D

Deleted member 6794

dante fowler's option not being picked up by jags. eight sacks last year. hmmmm

While he had eight sacks last season PFF had him ranked as only the 93rd best edge defender in 2017.

Jags are well over the cap for next year as it is.

True, while the Jaguars currently have more cap space than the Packers for this season they are already $14.6 million over the projected cap of $190 million for 2019 with only 47 players under contract.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not sure how many teams were willing to sign him prior to the grievance...hence the grievance.

True, but I believe there was at least a chance a team would have signed him before he filed the grievance. There's no chance of it happening now.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Changing gears a little....Antonio Gates is still looking for a job. I know we got Jimmy, but is he an upgrade over Kendricks? I'd like to think so. I'd love a double TE set that featured Jimmy and him.

I have a feeling he's desperate, so league minimum signing I'd imagine. With the body of work that is his career, it would be worth taking a peek during camp. And if he still has pop, maybe trade for a 5th or 6th Rounder in the preseason if there's interest.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Changing gears a little....Antonio Gates is still looking for a job. I know we got Jimmy, but is he an upgrade over Kendricks? I'd like to think so. I'd love a double TE set that featured Jimmy and him.

I have a feeling he's desperate, so league minimum signing I'd imagine. With the body of work that is his career, it would be worth taking a peek during camp. And if he still has pop, maybe trade for a 5th or 6th Rounder in the preseason if there's interest.

I like Gates, always have but I doubt he is "desperate". I imagine he is weighing his options of retirement or go for a ring? So it probably won't take a lot of money, but it might take the perfect situation to attract him and motivate him to play another year. While I in no way would compare him as a person to Mo Bennett, there is that danger of signing a 38 year old vet who may check out at some point if things aren't going as planned. All that said, there are probably only a 5-10 teams in the NFL that have the kind of setup he might desire; solid offense, great QB and a chance at a ring, so I would imagine if the Packers approached him, he would at least listen. I also wouldn't rule out the possibility that he just resigns with the Chargers, especially if he is willing to play at vet min and given his connections to the San Diego community.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
you'd think a pass rushing linebacker/edge would be higher on the list, than a backup tightend, with the cap room left after the draft pick allocation.
I would guess the Packers have a short list of things they would like to do before September and you are right, a backup OLB is probably higher on the list than a 3rd TE. It still wouldn't shock me to see Gut make a trade at some point for that very position or even a WR.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would guess the Packers have a short list of things they would like to do before September and you are right, a backup OLB is probably higher on the list than a 3rd TE. It still wouldn't shock me to see Gut make a trade at some point for that very position or even a WR.
yup. the starting wr opposite adams is a problem. if they throw someone out there that no one is going to take seriously it makes it more difficult on the others.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
yup. the starting wr opposite adams is a problem. if they throw someone out there that no one is going to take seriously it makes it more difficult on the others.
Or.....Adams, Cobb or Graham get hurt. When was the last season the Packers had all their WR's and TE healthy for all 16+ games?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Gates, always have but I doubt he is "desperate".

Maybe hungry is a better word, he's continued to say he still wants to play.

I also wouldn't rule out the possibility that he just resigns with the Chargers, especially if he is willing to play at vet min and given his connections to the San Diego community.

Chargers cut him, they don't want him anymore. If he signs with them it's to retire.

you'd think a pass rushing linebacker/edge would be higher on the list, than a backup tightend, with the cap room left after the draft pick allocation.

Who did you have in mind, Jared Allen? Michael Strahan? John Abraham? We're all ears....