The Free Agency Thread

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Can anyone co firm or deny that Rob Demovsky (ESPN insider) is a part of this forum? I swear any time we bring up a point, he then wrote an article about it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Can anyone co firm or deny that Rob Demovsky (ESPN insider) is a part of this forum? I swear any time we bring up a point, he then wrote an article about it.

I cannot confirm nor deny I am Rob Demovsky, but I think our mother can. :coffee:

With all the topics we cover in here and we are pretty thorough *insert claps and cheers for the forum members*, I'm not surprised that something we discuss is all of a sudden news. After all, like Rob, many of us have our ear to the railroad tracks, trying to hear that first sound of something happening that could somehow be Packer related.

It wouldn't completely surprise me if members of the media, players, etc. pop into forums to see what fans are thinking or knowing.

There is also that occasional players Dad that hangs out too.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we are the people. why not check in with the people to see what we're thinkin about. imagine trying to come up with content 365. sometimes it's got to be tough.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I cannot confirm nor deny I am Rob Demovsky, but I think our mother can. :coffee:

With all the topics we cover in here and we are pretty thorough *insert claps and cheers for the forum members*, I'm not surprised that something we discuss is all of a sudden news. After all, like Rob, many of us have our ear to the railroad tracks, trying to hear that first sound of something happening that could somehow be Packer related.

It wouldn't completely surprise me if members of the media, players, etc. pop into forums to see what fans are thinking or knowing.

There is also that occasional players Dad that hangs out too.
Wait...really? I’m very gullible so I really have no idea (and yes I know I just opened myself up to potentially many stories)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well, the was talk by some of trying to sign CB Breeland after he failed his physical in Carolina. Now would be that time it appears.

@RobDemovsky
Free agent CB Bashaud Breeland is visiting the Colts today and scheduled to visit the Cardinals tomorrow, a source said. His foot issue is healed and he’s expected to be able to pass all medical tests. He had been one of the top corners on the market in March.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, the was talk by some of trying to sign CB Breeland after he failed his physical in Carolina. Now would be that time it appears.

@RobDemovsky
Free agent CB Bashaud Breeland is visiting the Colts today and scheduled to visit the Cardinals tomorrow, a source said. His foot issue is healed and he’s expected to be able to pass all medical tests. He had been one of the top corners on the market in March.

If we're out of the WR market because of a few late round draft picks I'm pretty sure there's little interest in Breeland post draft.

He would be a great addition, at the right price, and would allow the rookies time to develop versus them getting thrown into the fire.

Probably would be a lil too expensive at this point with Rodgers extension looming

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

@RobDemovsky
Since then we have signed Tramon and House, and used our 2 highest draft picks on 2 highly regarded CBs. Our needs have changed significantly.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since then we have signed Tramon and House, and used our 2 highest draft picks on 2 highly regarded CBs. Our needs have changed significantly.
House could certainly be shown the door, though with high draft picks, i'm sure they are going to give those guys a chance to step in and go. Depends on the price of course, but I see them willing to spend considerably less after the draft than they were pre-draft on a FA DB.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

House could certainly be shown the door, though with high draft picks, i'm sure they are going to give those guys a chance to step in and go. Depends on the price of course, but I see them willing to spend considerably less after the draft than they were pre-draft on a FA DB.

Yup and yup. I actually view the CB position a bit like our WR situation. While we just infused both positions with young potential, when will those young guys be ready to go? I don't put a lot hope on rookies and what they bring their first season. So are King, Williams and House along with JA and Jackson enough? If the Packers don't feel so, they probably won't sign a guy to a long term deal, but would be looking more for a 1 year guy. So a guy like Breeland, may not even be interested in a one year deal. If the price was right, I know we all say that, I would prefer a guy like Breeland to be on the roster at least in 2018. Can never have enough good CB's and the Packers have gone too many years with that position being weak.

Last edited:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd still like to get Breeland, but maybe time is running out on that one.
He's visiting the Colts today and Cardinals tomorrow.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'd still like to get Breeland, but maybe time is running out on that one.
He's visiting the Colts today and Cardinals tomorrow.

The hard thing about Breeland at this point is that the Packers are going to want to leave the path open to playing time for Alexander and Jackson if they're ready, and Breeland is going to want to be virtually guaranteed a starting job. But I agree, he would be a great get.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Personally if I could pick just one more FA to add to the Packers roster before the season, I'd have them go sign Robert Ayers. He would make me feel much better about the depth/rotation among the edge rushers. He'd be a similar addition to Brooks last year, but better overall.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally if I could pick just one more FA to add to the Packers roster before the season, I'd have them go sign Robert Ayers. He would make me feel much better about the depth/rotation among the edge rushers. He'd be a similar addition to Brooks last year, but better overall.

He's been 'under the radar'. I don't get why.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yet another position of fragile starters with minimal experienced depth. I guess we could say that about most of the positions (I felt you typing Mondio) and it isn't realistic to have starter quality backups at each position. I mean guys like Ayers, Reid/Vaccaro, Breeland and Dez would make everyone feel better in the way of strengthening our final roster, but not enough $$ to do it.

Depending on what the plan is with #12 and his contract, I don't see Gute sitting on this roster as it stands, but I would rather see the moves sooner than later and not wait until October to find out a position is really thin.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup and yup. I actually view the CB position a bit like our WR situation. While we just infused both positions with young potential, when will those young guys be ready to go? I don't put a lot hope on rookies and what they bring their first season. So are King, Williams and House along with JA and Jackson enough? If the Packers don't feel so, they probably won't sign a guy to a long term deal, but would be looking more for a 1 year guy.
We should not commit more money or roster spots to the position. In addition to the 5 players you mentioned, we also have Rollins and 1 or 2 UDFAs who have the potential to succeed. That is a lot of talent that our DC has to work with.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yet another position of fragile starters with minimal experienced depth. I guess we could say that about most of the positions (I felt you typing Mondio) and it isn't realistic to have starter quality backups at each position. I mean guys like Ayers, Reid/Vaccaro, Breeland and Dez would make everyone feel better in the way of strengthening our final roster, but not enough $$ to do it.

Depending on what the plan is with #12 and his contract, I don't see Gute sitting on this roster as it stands, but I would rather see the moves sooner than later and not wait until October to find out a position is really thin.

Yep. They can’t afford to sign every good veteran left out there. But they can afford one. And if I were to choose, Ayers would be that one.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

And at a furious pace too I might add. But I just deleted it :)

D

Deleted member 6794

If we're out of the WR market because of a few late round draft picks I'm pretty sure there's little interest in Breeland post draft.

He would be a great addition, at the right price, and would allow the rookies time to develop versus them getting thrown into the fire.

Probably would be a lil too expensive at this point with Rodgers extension looming

I don't expect Rodgers extension to reduce the cap space for this season.

Yup and yup. I actually view the CB position a bit like our WR situation. While we just infused both positions with young potential, when will those young guys be ready to go? I don't put a lot hope on rookies and what they bring their first season. So are King, Williams and House along with JA and Jackson enough? If the Packers don't feel so, they probably won't sign a guy to a long term deal, but would be looking more for a 1 year guy. So a guy like Breeland, may not even be interested in a one year deal. If the price was right, I know we all say that, I would prefer a guy like Breeland to be on the roster at least in 2018. Can never have enough good CB's and the Packers have gone too many years with that position being weak.

While Breeland definitely would present a decent option I don't see the Packers signing a veteran cornerback after spending their first two picks at the position.

I would definitely be in favor of signing Ayers as edge rusher currently seems to be the position in most dire need of quality depth.

I'm curious as to how Rollins would do at safety.

I don't believe he would succeed at safety.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts