The Free Agency Thread

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I am not sure how realistic this is but apparently there's some noise around Earl Thomas being traded to the Cowboys for the 50th pick...if that happens I will be absolutely livid that the Packers didn't up the offer and give up the 45th pick for Thomas. Again, some decently reputable people discussing it but certainly no guarantees but ANY team in the NFL should be willing to trade a 2nd round pick for Earl Thomas.

Only problem I see with trading for Earl Thomas is the fact that he only has 1 year left on his current contract. The would be a very expensive 1 year rental on a player.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only problem I see with trading for Earl Thomas is the fact that he only has 1 year left on his current contract. The would be a very expensive 1 year rental on a player.

The Packers could always franchise him or just extend him. There is basically zero downside to trading the 45th pick for the best safety in the NFL. That's one of the reasons that i'm doubtful this is actually true, despite rumors to the contrary.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers could always franchise him or just extend him. There is basically zero downside to trading the 45th pick for the best safety in the NFL. That's one of the reasons that i'm doubtful this is actually true, despite rumors to the contrary.
Seahawks originally were reported to want a 1st and a 3rd for Thomas, so just a second is coming way down.

Pricey tag to use as well, I think around $11.2M?

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

By the looks of it its contingent on an extension being agreed upon. Depends what kind of money hes asking for. I'd be game but it is a factor not to be discounted

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seahawks originally were reported to want a 1st and a 3rd for Thomas, so just a second is coming way down.

Pricey tag to use as well, I think around $11.2M?

So then give him a new contract. He's the best safety in the NFL. You want to fix the Packers' defense, get a guy that can single handedly cover basically half the field by himself. Great scenario, Packers gets Ward and Thomas with their first two picks in the draft...again, I can't imagine the Seahawks basically giving Thomas away but if they do, the packers had darn well better be involved in those talks.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the looks of it its contingent on an extension being agreed upon. Depends what kind of money hes asking for. I'd be game but it is a factor not to be discounted

Heck with that. Seahawks have his rights. Give them the better offer and have Thomas play out his deal and then franchise him. I understand maybe Thomas wants to play closer to where he played in college but get that guy on the team. Worst case? Thomas plays amazing and Packers trade him for a better pick next year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Heck with that. Seahawks have his rights. Give them the better offer and have Thomas play out his deal and then franchise him. I understand maybe Thomas wants to play closer to where he played in college but get that guy on the team. Worst case? Thomas plays amazing and Packers trade him for a better pick next year.

Only way I even consider a trade for Thomas is with a new contract already in place. Maybe you misworded what you just wrote, but if he is on his current contract, his trade value next year is minimal since he would become a FA.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only way I even consider a trade for Thomas is with a new contract already in place. Maybe you misworded what you just wrote, but if he is on his current contract, his trade value next year is minimal since he would become a FA.

No, Packers can franchise him, then trade him for whatever they decide to accept.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No, Packers can franchise him, then trade him for whatever they decide to accept.
Not so sure his trade value is that great under a franchise tag as well. Still means his new team has to figure out a way to eventually sign him. There are definitely creative ways to try and get him on a one year rental and hope to get trade value out at the end, but nothing is guaranteed, except the loss of draft picks for that opportunity. I would still stick to a new contract if the Packers are considering that big of an investment of draft capital.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Earl Thomas was ready for retirement a year ago. I dunno where his head is at but that is not exactly the direction I want the Packers to be headed for our defense. Get younger, get faster.

If we are truly in the market for a safety than James or Fitzpatrick should be the play.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Now that the draft is behind us, what does everyone think about bringing in Junior Galette? CM3, Perry and him could help bolster the pass rush

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that the draft is behind us, what does everyone think about bringing in Junior Galette? CM3, Perry and him could help bolster the pass rush

Didnt look the same after the achillies tear. Not sure how much he bolsters us at this point.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was just thinking about this, what WILL the Packers do at OLB, since they weren't able to address it in the draft? Probably the only 2 players in the draft that would have addressed it quick were Chubb and Davenport, with Davenport being very iffy to be an impact for year 1.

I don't know much about Junior, but one would think the Packers are going to need to bring in another guy or 2 for depth. Brooks was injured off and on last year, but was still kind of a disappointment, I doubt they resign him at age 34. We can only hope that having Biegel healthy and Gilbert/Fackrell improving will add the much needed depth if a FA isn't signed.

Last edited:

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just thinking about this, what WILL the Packers do at OLB, since they weren't able to address it in the draft? Probably the only 2 players in the draft that would have addressed it quick were Chubb and Davenport, with Davenport being very iffy to be an impact for year 1.

I don't know much about Junior, but one would think the Packers are going to need to bring in another guy or 2 for depth. Brooks was injured off and on last year, but was still kind of a disappointment, I doubt they resign him at age 34. We can only hope that having Biegel healthy and Gilbert/Fackrell improving will add the much needed depth if a FA isn't signed.

They were actually talking on sirius xm this morning (they were having a conversation about NE but I think its a more general topic) about how a lot of DC's are moving away from the traditional 3-4 defense due to such a small amount of real imposing pass rushers being available. With it seemingly look like the Packers had no intention of drafting for that need over the last 3 days I have to assume that Pettine is also taking that approach.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They were actually talking on sirius xm this morning (they were having a conversation about NE but I think its a more general topic) about how a lot of DC's are moving away from the traditional 3-4 defense due to such a small amount of real imposing pass rushers being available. With it seemingly look like the Packers had no intention of drafting for that need over the last 3 days I have to assume that Pettine is also taking that approach.

Not so sure what the Packers will do at OLB and if Pettine changes their philosophy pertaining to it. However, I do feel it wasn't a case of moving away from the position, more than just a thin class of quality OLB's to draft from that prevented the Packers from using any substantial draft capital on it.

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just looking and there still is a pretty decent list of free agents I wouldn’t mind supplementing our roster with. After a good draft I would be all for offering some low risk contracts to a few of these guys and seeing what happened.
1 Dez Bryant
2 Eric Reid
3 Jeremy Maclin
4 Tamba Hali
5 Connor Barwin
6 Julius Thomas
7 Marcedes Lewis
8 Luke Joeckel
9 Kenny Vaccaro
10Eric Decker

I wouldn’t be willing to offer much to any of these guys but see if they want to come in and compete for job.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts