The Free Agency Thread

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
smh.
they could make a trade offer [pick(s)] for shane ray or dante fowler, or sit on their hands and see if someone gets released.
From "knowledge" I have gathered, the Packers are willing to trade a first rounder for Ray and additional picks. :coffee:

But yes, those are the kind of players that Gut probably has his eyes on right now. Vets that are either on the verge of being cut or teams are willing to part with for one reason or another.

Pack cut Vogel today, there is a quick pick up by a team who needs a punter.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
yup...saw that. what happened to the "competition" gute was crowing about when asked about it earlier? lol
I think that was a smoke screen to temporarily cover up the fact that there was something they really didn't like about Vogel, thus the draft pick and the release today. I can't imagine cutting him was strictly based on his inability to do the job.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that was a smoke screen to temporarily cover up the fact that there was something they really didn't like about Vogel, thus the draft pick and the release today. I can't imagine cutting him was strictly based on his inability to do the job.

The cynic in me wants to point out that if Vogel won the competition in training camp then Gute might look a little silly for drafting a punter in the fifth....I don't really believe that but I can't deny cutting Vogel does make it easier to justify drafting Scott.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The cynic in me wants to point out that if Vogel won the competition in training camp then Gute might look a little silly for drafting a punter in the fifth....I don't really believe that but I can't deny cutting Vogel does make it easier to justify drafting Scott.

I doubt that, for if Vogel is picked up by another team, which I think he will be and totally outplays Scott in 2018, with the position being in a big enough vacuum to see that, Gute would face the same scrutiny either way.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know it's the offseason when we're "worried" about a punter being cut.

No, I think we're all aware that pass rush, oline, coaching, and the secondary are all vastly more important. This is just the newest thing so we all have to express our opinions on it... Preferably as loudly as possible

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yo dawg
you lose your forum cred points if you quote yourself in multiple threads for back pats
i know it's tempting, but you gotta let the props flow naturally :cool:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the next time you make it to the end zone, act like you've been there before.
but who was vince lombardi anyways...

D

Deleted member 6794

Changing gears a little....Antonio Gates is still looking for a job. I know we got Jimmy, but is he an upgrade over Kendricks? I'd like to think so. I'd love a double TE set that featured Jimmy and him.

I have a feeling he's desperate, so league minimum signing I'd imagine. With the body of work that is his career, it would be worth taking a peek during camp. And if he still has pop, maybe trade for a 5th or 6th Rounder in the preseason if there's interest.

Gates is a future HOFer but at age 38 I don't believe he would present a significant upgrade for the Packers. With teams not being interested in signing him as a free agent there's no way they will give up a draft pick based on preseason play.

I also wouldn't rule out the possibility that he just resigns with the Chargers, especially if he is willing to play at vet min and given his connections to the San Diego community.

You know the Chargers moved to Los Angeles, don't you??? ;)

you'd think a pass rushing linebacker/edge would be higher on the list, than a backup tightend, with the cap room left after the draft pick allocation.

I agree the Packers are in need of more quality depth at edge rusher but unfortunately the pickings are currently extremely thin at the position in free agency.

It still wouldn't shock me to see Gut make a trade at some point for that very position or even a WR.

I guess the Packers plan on entering the season with the current receiving corps. Gutekunst might get active closer to the start of the season if Allison and the rookies struggle during the preseason.

You know it's the offseason when we're "worried" about a punter being cut.

Well, it seems you forgot how releasing Jon Ryan 11 years ago worked out for the Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You know the Chargers moved to Los Angeles, don't you??? ;)

I do ;) Although I do catch myself saying "San Diego Chargers".

San Diego is only a 2 hr drive from LA, Green Bay would be a 30 hr. drive. So while the Chargers play in LA, Gates and his wife Sasha are still fully involved in The Gates Foundation, as well as many other philanthropic events in the San Diego and LA communities. Thus, why I said that if he decides to continue his NFL career, I could see him wanting to stay close to the area.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I guess Gates has the financial resources to afford a flight from Green Bay to LA ;)
Including his wife and 2 kids? Come on man, money is tight in the NFL, these guys don't have that kind of cash floating around. :roflmao: Again, I am just trying to get in the head of a 38 year old TE with a wife, two young kids and close ties to a community as to where he would choose to finish his career.....Green Bay or California area?

D

Deleted member 6794

Including his wife and 2 kids? Come on man, money is tight in the NFL, these guys don't have that kind of cash floating around. :roflmao: Again, I am just trying to get in the head of a 38 year old TE with a wife, two young kids and close ties to a community as to where he would choose to finish his career.....Green Bay or California area?

Gates might be interested in signing with the Packers as that would present him with a chance to finally win a ring.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Gates might be interested in signing with the Packers as that would present him with a chance to finally win a ring.
Yup, I think I mentioned that aspect when this all started. If winning a ring is a top priority for Gates, that might put Green Bay in the conversation, but would also add other teams located further away from his family into the mix.

Fun conversation, but I just don't see the Packers being interested in him, unless they feel his leadership would be a huge asset to the team.

D

Deleted member 6794

Fun conversation, but I just don't see the Packers being interested in him, unless they feel his leadership would be a huge asset to the team.

I agree it's a moot point as I don't expect the Packers to show any interest in him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Now that the draft is over and the Packers have had time to start looking at how their roster might look in September, who else do the Packers need to possibly strengthen the roster? Most moves now in Free Agency would be make to improve depth, however I still feel that there are a few FA's out there that could improve the starting rotation.

WR: I don't expect any of the rookies to fill starting roles right away, so that basically leaves Allison as your 3rd WR. Maclin, Bryant, Marshall or Decker would be upgrades in my opinion.

CB: We definitely improved the CB position, but there are still some question marks. Will King's shoulder hold up and just how good is he? I think people assume he is going to be awesome if healthy, I am not ready to conclude that just yet. Williams is 35, how much does he have left? JA and Jackson should have a future in GB, but how much will they be able to do as rookies? Breeland, DRC Breux are still out there unsigned and one of them could win a starting job or at least be really good depth.

S: Are Jones or Brice ready to start? I'm not so sure either of them can fill Burnett's spot just yet. With HHCDIII on his final year of his contract, I think this might be a position that would really benefit by the signing of someone like Reid, Vaccaro or Boston. All 3 of those guys are solid safeties with a lot of football ahead of them. Reid may have taken himself off the table with his recent grievance filing.

Depth signings could happen at:
  • OLB: Barwin, Brooks, Galette
  • TE: Fasano (solid run blocking TE)
  • OL: Howard, Boone, Evans
I'm sure that the Packer coaches know what they are expecting from the current players at all of these positions, but if they feel their is a weakness or too much expectations from certain players to step up, now might be the time to plug those holes.

D

Deleted member 6794

Now that the draft is over and the Packers have had time to start looking at how their roster might look in September, who else do the Packers need to possibly strengthen the roster? Most moves now in Free Agency would be make to improve depth, however I still feel that there are a few FA's out there that could improve the starting rotation.

WR: I don't expect any of the rookies to fill starting roles right away, so that basically leaves Allison as your 3rd WR. Maclin, Bryant, Marshall or Decker would be upgrades in my opinion.

CB: We definitely improved the CB position, but there are still some question marks. Will King's shoulder hold up and just how good is he? I think people assume he is going to be awesome if healthy, I am not ready to conclude that just yet. Williams is 35, how much does he have left? JA and Jackson should have a future in GB, but how much will they be able to do as rookies? Breeland, DRC Breux are still out there unsigned and one of them could win a starting job or at least be really good depth.

S: Are Jones or Brice ready to start? I'm not so sure either of them can fill Burnett's spot just yet. With HHCDIII on his final year of his contract, I think this might be a position that would really benefit by the signing of someone like Reid, Vaccaro or Boston. All 3 of those guys are solid safeties with a lot of football ahead of them. Reid may have taken himself off the table with his recent grievance filing.

Depth signings could happen at:
  • OLB: Barwin, Brooks, Galette
  • TE: Fasano (solid run blocking TE)
  • OL: Howard, Boone, Evans
I'm sure that the Packer coaches know what they are expecting from the current players at all of these positions, but if they feel their is a weakness or too much expectations from certain players to step up, now might be the time to plug those holes.

I agree that the wide receiver position might still be in need of an upgrade. In addition I would like the Packers to add some quality depth at outside linebacker. I don't expect Gutekunst to be active in the market for a veteran in the secondary though.

Members online

Latest posts