The Free Agency Thread

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was just looking and there still is a pretty decent list of free agents I wouldn’t mind supplementing our roster with. After a good draft I would be all for offering some low risk contracts to a few of these guys and seeing what happened.
1 Dez Bryant
2 Eric Reid
3 Jeremy Maclin
4 Tamba Hali
5 Connor Barwin
6 Julius Thomas
7 Marcedes Lewis
8 Luke Joeckel
9 Kenny Vaccaro
10Eric Decker

I wouldn’t be willing to offer much to any of these guys but see if they want to come in and compete for job.

We all know why Eric Reid doesn't have a job....but I'd sign him in a heartbeat.

Joeckel would be a good depth signing.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We all know why Eric Reid doesn't have a job....but I'd sign him in a heartbeat.

Joeckel would be a good depth signing.
I was hoping we would sign Joeckel last year and some smart people here pointed out that it would be a bad idea. As it turns out they were spot on, Seattle got fleeced last year to the tune of $7.25 M for a guy who was ranked 53rd at guard by PFF. The guy is also another injury waiting to happen.

Signing Reid might just put our secondary into the top 15. I think that would be a very good signing, despite what some people think about the guy.

Connor Barwin would be another guy I would try to sign. We need some veteran depth and rotation at OLB. If either Perry and/or Clay go down, that position is in deep crap.

Before the draft I was thinking we needed to sign another WR, but with the 3 rookies we just selected, the only way you do that is if you have given up on Geronimo, Clark and Davis. Or you want to carry 7 WR's. I never like to rely on "oh we will just slide him to the practice squad". If all 3 rookies have a good preseason, that could be a dangerous move and could result in another team poaching him.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was hoping we would sign Joeckel last year and some smart people here pointed out that it would be a bad idea. As it turns out they were spot on, Seattle got fleeced last year to the tune of $7.25 M for a guy who was ranked 53rd at guard by PFF. The guy is also another injury waiting to happen.

Being as you need 2 guards to play, 53rd technically is still good enough to start. However, I don't think we should start him nor pay him starting money but maybe slightly overpaid reserve guard money.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Being as you need 2 guards to play, 53rd technically is still good enough to start. However, I don't think we should start him nor pay him starting money but maybe slightly overpaid reserve guard money.
"good enough", if you want one of the near bottom graded starters from 2017. Evans was #30 and Taylor #34, I would shoot for higher than 53, but I think you are talking about depth anyway. The fact that Joeckel plays both positions is a plus for sure, but would only sign a guy like that if there wren't a lot of other options and at vet minimum, no guarantees.

Like I said, last year I was all for signing him, but even at 26 years old, it seems like his career has been in a tailspin since he was drafted with pick #2 back in 2013.

SD Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn’t go much more than the vet minimum for any of those guys but I think a couple of them would give our roster some vets for competition at a few of our weaker positions. I would pay a little more for Reid and maybe Dez.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep in mind we do have one of the better OL coaches in the league, is it too much to ask that he might slightly improve with us? I mean Seattle hasn't had a good line in a long time, and that probably made him look just as bad if not worse. A better unit might help him improve his career outlook.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Keep in mind we do have one of the better OL coaches in the league, is it too much to ask that he might slightly improve with us? I mean Seattle hasn't had a good line in a long time, and that probably made him look just as bad if not worse. A better unit might help him improve his career outlook.

I just read that Bulaga is not only ahead of schedule on his recovery from the torn ACL, but despite rumors, he is fully in the Packers plans for 2018. Whether it is true or now, who knows.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/...cle_f698f4c2-129d-5110-8949-d79a039e411c.html

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reasonable speculation that Denver could cut ties with or trade Shane Ray or Shaq Barrett given their excess of pass rushers. Thoughts on these two young and under-utilized pass rushers?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Reasonable speculation that Denver could cut ties with or trade Shane Ray or Shaq Barrett given their excess of pass rushers. Thoughts on these two young and under-utilized pass rushers?
With Miller and Chubb the Broncos are definitely in great shape and one of their 3 other guys, Shaquil Barrett, Shane Ray and DeMarcus Walker could probably be had at the right price. I don't know much about any of them, but if one of them is an upgrade over Gilbert and Biegel, go for it. Walker, a second round pick last year, is probably the most enticing one from the standpoint of only being on the second year of his rookie contract. Ray and Barrett, unless signed to a new contract, are both in the last years of more expensive contracts.

These are the kinds of players I expect Gute to have his eyes open for. With the draft concluding, teams like Denver are now shaping their rosters and possibly finding themselves with too many guys at one position, guys they could get some value for by not waiting until Sept. to just cut them.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
My Post Draft FA Targets:
  • Marcedes Lewis, TE: He would immediately be the best blocker in the team by a good margin and can still be a factor in the redzone should Graham get hurt.
  • Jahri Evans, OG: Given that they only spent a 5th on the OL, Evans might be smart insurance.
  • Robert Ayers, ED: Good run defender who can generate some pressure. I’d feel much better about the depth if they added a veteran like him. Same idea as Brooks last year, but a better version.
  • Bashaud Breeland, CB: We loaded up on young corners but if Breeland ends up having to settle for a prove it deal, I still think he’d be a good idea. They could cut House and it would take some pressure off the young guys for a season.
  • Tre Boston, S: I never saw safety as a position that needed a lot this offseason, but the market has been so soft for these guys. If Boston can’t get much elsewhere, he’d be a big improvement from Evans or Whitehead as the 10th DB.
  • Crockett Gillmore, OT: This is a weird one, but stay with me. Gillmore was a darn good blocking TE in Baltimore at 6’6” 260+ but had decided to add weight and switch to tackle. It’s a long shot, but if he maintains anything close to his level of athleticism at OT weight he might be deep, deep sleeper. I wouldn’t guarantee him a thing but depending on how the transition is going I might try him out.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crockett Gillmore, OT: This is a weird one, but stay with me. Gillmore was a darn good blocking TE in Baltimore at 6’6” 260+ but had decided to add weight and switch to tackle. It’s a long shot, but if he maintains anything close to his level of athleticism at OT weight he might be deep, deep sleeper. I wouldn’t guarantee him a thing but depending on how the transition is going I might try him out.
It would be awesome if it pans out like Jason Peters.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Soooooo, Denver picked up Bradley Chubb in the draft. I wonder if OLB Shaquill Barrett is available? They placed a 2nd roumd tender on him and he signed it. Perhaps we could now get him for a 3rd?

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Soooooo, Denver picked up Bradley Chubb in the draft. I wonder if OLB Shaquill Barrett is available? They placed a 2nd roumd tender on him and he signed it. Perhaps we could now get him for a 3rd?

I’m not sure I would do that. It would be a one year rental and he’s been less effective the more he’s played.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm thinking TE and OL (Evans returns?) will be addressed later. Also, possibly OLB and S. Could be plenty of decent veteran free agents available, and more to be released now that the draft is over.
I'd still keep on eye out for Breeland.

FL-PACKERfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tre Boston is only 25 and would be our best safety if we signed him. Seems like an obvious signing. Clinton-Dix was not good last year and Jones still needs some time to develop

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Tre Boston is only 25 and would be our best safety if we signed him. Seems like an obvious signing. Clinton-Dix was not good last year and Jones still needs some time to develop

AND they lost Burnett AND they may/should lose HHCDIII at the end of the year AND they didn't draft a Safety.

I am actually hoping for Reid to be signed.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't have Reid at the top of the free agent wish list at this point has either not seen him play or is allowing non-football reasons to affect their judgement.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those of you looking at Reid and other veterans who have been starters; are you considering them as depth, or as starters?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Those of you looking at Reid and other veterans who have been starters; are you considering them as depth, or as starters?
Either or, whoever earns the job. Bringing in rookies doesn't necessarily push the veterans that are already clearly ahead of them on the depth chart, but bring in a veteran and you have some healthy competition, as well as better depth come September.