The Free Agency Thread

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That site is literally the only site that credits him with 10 drops last season. Everyone else credits him with 5.

Which is funny because a number of their other drop statistics compare to other sites.

When Dez was released, there was a stat posted about his catch rate over the last 3 years and I believe he had the lowest % of any WR with a minimum # of targets. I will try to find it for you. Bottom line for me, he isn't as good as he once was. Jordy had 1 bad season last year, I put that more on Hundley. Bryant hasn't been the same player over the last 3 years mainly due to....Bryant. Now Prescott hasn't helped Dez, but I would rate Dak much higher than Hundley.

All that said, would I like Dez on the Packers? Would totally depend on what kind of attitude read I got from him and obviously the cost. But I would gladly have Jordy back over taking a risky flyer on Dez.

Edit...I found the post...LOL....it was my own.

fun facts, can see why Dallas said "Adios!"

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I am just saying that Adams drops are pretty high profile and he is up there for drops too. But we look the other way there.
I also think when you have a player that runs his mouth like Dez, calling for the ball more and pouting when he doesn't get it, his drops are going to stand out more.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Dez was released, there was a stat posted about his catch rate over the last 3 years and I believe he had the lowest % of any WR with a minimum # of targets. I will try to find it for you. Bottom line for me, he isn't as good as he once was. Jordy had 1 bad season last year, I put that more on Hundley. Bryant hasn't been the same player over the last 3 years mainly due to....Bryant. Now Prescott hasn't helped Dez, but I would rate Dak much higher than Hundley.

All that said, would I like Dez on the Packers? Would totally depend on what kind of attitude read I got from him and obviously the cost. But I would gladly have Jordy back over taking a risky flyer on Dez.

Edit...I found the post...LOL....it was my own.

Dak doesnt throw a very accurate ball. You will see much of the same next season from Hurns. I see the Cowboys moving on from Dak fairly soon.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also think when you have a player that runs his mouth like Dez, calling for the ball more and pouting when he doesn't get it, his drops are going to stand out more.

Fair point. Although winning cures all ailments and a one year contract for Dez doesnt scare me. Granted I dont know if we have the cap some others may be willing to give this season.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out where people keep getting this notion that Dez doesnt have sure hands? He is one of the best RZ wide receivers in the league and drops passes at a lesser rate than Julio Jones.

Quite honestly I think you are confused with Brandon Marshall.

or they need more justification not to take a look at him.

My God, would you just look at the number of drops Keenan Allen had. That guy flat out sucks. And whats up with Julio Jones and his 7 drops. I thought he was a good WR. Man I'd sure hate to have either of those guys on my team.:coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

In case the emojis didn't give it away I think drops are over rated.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think the Packers are in any hurry to sign Dez and I am sure that stems from many things:
  1. cost
  2. personality
  3. chemistry with team and AR
  4. ability to find someone else who is better at #1-3
I don't think he is completely out of the conversation, there is no denying he would be an upgrade over Allison, Clark, Davis, et al. But at what price as far as those items listed? I think someone else will become available between now and Sept that could be a better option for the Packers.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he had a comfort level at dal that he won't have at his new team where ever he ends up. that mouth may be less likely to run. he'll have things to prove on the field. if it's on a jordy contract at worst it's a one year deal. low risk.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
or they need more justification not to take a look at him.

My God, would you just look at the number of drops Keenan Allen had. That guy flat out sucks. And whats up with Julio Jones and his 7 drops. I thought he was a good WR. Man I'd sure hate to have either of those guys on my team.:coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

In case the emojis didn't give it away I think drops are over rated.

LOL.....I agree with you on simply looking at the # of drops, but I think "drop rate" or catch % is a legit stat to pay attention to, since it factors in # of targets. Obviously, there are many more things to consider, but I do put some value on those numbers.

Julio only had a drop rate of 8.43 Keenan Allen, 9.28
Dez was up at 12.5

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
he had a comfort level at dal that he won't have at his new team where ever he ends up. that mouth may be less likely to run. he'll have things to prove on the field. if it's on a jordy contract at worst it's a one year deal. low risk.
Could be, but do you fully expect a "humble" Dez wherever he ends up?

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That site is literally the only site that credits him with 10 drops last season. Everyone else credits him with 5.

Which is funny because a number of their other drop statistics compare to other sites.

Well, if they can't tell what a catch is, how can they tell what a drop is?
Heh.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sounds like we are making moves up. i know its for probably for Ward, but what if it was for Chubb?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
sounds like we are making moves up. i know its for probably for Ward, but what if it was for Chubb?
I don't see it, especially ahead of time. It would cost way too much to move up to guarantee yourself Chubb. You never know how those first 4 picks will fall either. Say you move up to #4, he could be gone with the first 3 picks.

I think if the Packers trade-up pre-draft, its an attempt to move up to at the highest #6 with the Colts and maybe #9 with the 49ers. Otherwise, it may be a situation where they have something worked out ahead of time with a team or two, but only if the guy they really want is there.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see it, especially ahead of time. It would cost way too much to move up to guarantee yourself Chubb. You never know how those first 4 picks will fall either. Say you move up to #4, he could be gone with the first 3 picks.

I think if the Packers trade-up pre-draft, its an attempt to move up to at the highest #6 with the Colts and maybe #9 with the 49ers. Otherwise, it may be a situation where they have something worked out ahead of time with a team or two, but only if the guy they really want is there.
chubb? i doubt it. ridley, smith, james, ward? now you're talking. *fingers crossed*

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
chubb? i doubt it. ridley, smith, james, ward? now you're talking. *fingers crossed*

It's possible. If Chubb slips to #6- the lowest I see him falling- we could be in play.
Only guys I'd move up for are Chubb, Edmunds, Ward, James, and possibly Fitzpatrick, if Gute really wants him and feels he's gone before 14.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we arent moving up for Ward or Chubb thats just silly for what it is going to cost us.
it's not like they only have 8 picks. depends on how far and who the target is. they don't need bodies. they need impact starters. moving up 3 or 4 spots is no biggie. staying at 14 and later trading back into the 1st is no biggie.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's not like they only have 8 picks. depends on how far and who the target is. they don't need bodies. they need impact starters. moving up 3 or 4 spots is no biggie. staying at 14 and later trading back into the 1st is no biggie.

Good luck finding those impact starters with all our 5th round picks....

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not sure how realistic this is but apparently there's some noise around Earl Thomas being traded to the Cowboys for the 50th pick...if that happens I will be absolutely livid that the Packers didn't up the offer and give up the 45th pick for Thomas. Again, some decently reputable people discussing it but certainly no guarantees but ANY team in the NFL should be willing to trade a 2nd round pick for Earl Thomas.

Members online

Latest posts