The Free Agency Thread

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately being an elite athlete doesn't automatically translate to on-field success in the NFL. Therefore I agree with several other posters that LVE isn't worthy of being selected at #14.

It would be absolutely insane to pass on Derwin James if he drops to #14.

You are contradicting yourself.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given that we have 12 picks, if that is what it takes to assure us of one of the top defensive guys, I am all over that move. The article mentioned doing it to grab Barkley. First, that would probably require us to get up as high as #2 and way too costly and second, as much as I like Barkley, I wouldn't value him enough (as a Packer) to spend the draft capital to acquire him. Moving up just 2-4 spots should get us a great player.
yup. don't need an rb. we're not a run-first team. for one of the top defensive players yes...and maybe ridley.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Just the amount of money involved with picking a guy at #2 or #14 is crazy. Last year, on a 4 year deal, there was a $17M difference in the 2 contracts. I would rather have that kind of money invested in a OLB or CB not a RB.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just the amount of money involved with picking a guy at #2 or #14 is crazy. Last year, on a 4 year deal, there was a $17M difference in the 2 contracts. I would rather have that kind of money invested in a OLB or CB not a RB.
i posted it for the who should move up...not really the targets mentioned or how far up to move. imo they need to move up some though and get who they truly want rather than settle.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol...why would we trade half our draft capital for Barkley when we could have Guice at #14?

That being said Aaron Jones will be the truth.
another guy that doesn't show up in a lot of 1st round mocks at all and when he does it's late in the 1st. for what the Packers do neither one is needed. it's about the D...or ridley.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
another guy that doesn't show up in a lot of 1st round mocks at all and when he does it's late in the 1st. for what the Packers do neither one is needed. it's about the D...or ridley.

I am not saying pick Guice. I am saying that Guice is going to end up as a great back from this draft. We have 3 HB's currently and while I do believe they will pick a HB in this draft, it won't be in the first 4 rounds.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not saying pick Guice. I am saying that Guice is going to end up as a great back from this draft. We have 3 HB's currently and while I do believe they will pick a HB in this draft, it won't be in the first 4 rounds.

I'm not saying I don't have confidence in our stable of backs, but there's a point where if Guice or even Jones falls too far(I'd say 3rd Round), you have to pull the trigger. Then we can trade Monty during the Draft for maybe another 4th and 5th round pick and probably just cut Mays. Guice/R. Jones would be the #1 back in camp with A. Jones as the #2 still in the mix for the starting job. William's would be on mop up duty at #3.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know about going that far....but like any negotiations you gotta start high to get what you really want. But he should be worth a solid 5th. If we trade both our 7th Round Picks I could easily see a 5th and a 6th. 4 picks in the 5th Round could be money if Gute hits on em because there's gonna be some great value still there. 3 picks in the 6th would do us some good as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't know about going that far....but like any negotiations you gotta start high to get what you really want. But he should be worth a solid 5th. If we trade both our 7th Round Picks I could easily see a 5th and a 6th. 4 picks in the 5th Round could be money if Gute hits on em because there's gonna be some great value still there. 3 picks in the 6th would do us some good as well.

I'm not a big fan of a lot of 5th-7th rd picks and would gladly package them up to get more 2-4 picks. Just pull up the Packers draft history. On average they are drafting about 4-5 players from the 5th round on and I would say each year, we are maybe getting 1 guy out of it that amounts to much. I like a having a 7th round pick to lock up a guy you might have targeted for a priority UDFA.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/draft.htm

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did the Packers hire someone else than Whitt to coach the cornerbacks???

Shields, Hayward, Williams...heck, even Woodson did pretty well under Whitt. CB development has not been an issue with this team. Health of the corners and the front office decision making HAS been an issue.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reason LVE is so valuable (Same with Edmunds as well) is because they are great chess pieces who can move inside and out because of their freakish athleticism. Those are the types of guys that will be valuable to Pettines defense.

There is no guarantee on anyone in the draft. That is why it is an open discussion. They all have warts.

Athleticism isn't the only thing required to be versatile. His skillset right now says that he's an inside linebacker. If he develops pass rush and/or coverage skills THEN he'll be versatile. Unfortunately, stopping the run is the least valuable skill on defense (you need it, but pass rush and coverage are more important). LVE might develop those skills but he doesn't have them now.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Shields, Hayward, Williams...heck, even Woodson did pretty well under Whitt. CB development has not been an issue with this team. Health of the corners and the front office decision making HAS been an issue.

I'd give him credit for Shields. But Williams had already been a Packer for 3 years before Whitt was the CB coach. Giving Whitt credit for Woodson? Nah.

Some might say that Hayward played much better when he left Green Bay, but is that on Whitt or Capers? House is another guy that also played better once he left the Packers.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yup. i said that day one. even a 2 year deal (like jordy's with oak, where he can be cut after one year with no cap ramifications for the 2nd year) would be interesting. i wouldn't offer more the exact jordy deal though...http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/oakland-raiders/jordy-nelson-4999/
Honestly if we can't make that offer to Jordy (who has sure hands) then no way should Dez get it. He's over rated and has the attitude of a 13 year old.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Athleticism isn't the only thing required to be versatile. His skillset right now says that he's an inside linebacker. If he develops pass rush and/or coverage skills THEN he'll be versatile. Unfortunately, stopping the run is the least valuable skill on defense (you need it, but pass rush and coverage are more important). LVE might develop those skills but he doesn't have them now.

He has the talent to do it though. Which very few prospects in this draft do.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd give him credit for Shields. But Williams had already been a Packer for 3 years before Whitt was the CB coach. Giving Whitt credit for Woodson? Nah.

Some might say that Hayward played much better when he left Green Bay, but is that on Whitt or Capers?
i wonder how much actual coaching capers did. design the scheme, develop a game plan, sure but teach technique etc... i'm skeptical. that's on the assistants.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly if we can't make that offer to Jordy (who has sure hands) then no way should Dez get it. He's over rated and has the attitude of a 13 year old.
i don't think it's that they couldn't. i think they just wanted to move on for whatever reason. maybe they know something we don't. maybe jordy's knee isn't right...who knows. health wise dez has been descent. remember jordy standing on the sidelines (for no apparent reason) during the final drive to beat dal last year?

Last edited:

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I am trying to figure out where people keep getting this notion that Dez doesnt have sure hands? He is one of the best RZ wide receivers in the league and drops passes at a lesser rate than Julio Jones.

Quite honestly I think you are confused with Brandon Marshall.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
i wonder how much actual coaching capers did. design the scheme, develop a game plan, sure but teach technique etc... i'm skeptical. that's on the assistants.
Most definitely. Practices and drills are run by the assistant coaches and their assistants. I guess where I was going at with both Hayward and House is wondering if they were well taught by Whitt, but just poorly used in Capers defenses or did they learn something with their new teams that made them a better player? If Rollins heals up and has a Pro Bowl year, I guess we will have our answer. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out where people keep getting this notion that Dez doesnt have sure hands? He is one of the best RZ wide receivers in the league and drops passes at a lesser rate than Julio Jones.

Quite honestly I think you are confused with Brandon Marshall.
maybe it's that his drops were kind of high profile. when dez is being bashed those are the plays they highlight on the sports shows.

Members online

Latest posts