The Free Agency Thread

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I remember my local paper, The Wisconsin State Journal, running a column on a Basketball recruit that the Badgers were about to sign, this was before the internet. I was so pumped up. The guy was something like 7' 10" and picked apples without the aid of a ladder during the summer. I had forgotten that the date on the Paper was April 1st. The author didn't break the news that it was an April Fool joke until the next day. LOL

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yup, which means his asking price comes down. I have actually always been a fan of Marshall and he has put up some decent stats through the years, despite playing on some crappy teams. Granted he just turned 34 and there is the ankle thing, but as always, if the price was right, I would love see him in Green Bay.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the saying “intelligent people never speak in absolutes”, absolutely brilliant I will be sure to use this in my first post game interview after a loss instead of rambling on about pad level and rush integrity lanes and the sort.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, which means his asking price comes down. I have actually always been a fan of Marshall and he has put up some decent stats through the years, despite playing on some crappy teams. Granted he just turned 34 and there is the ankle thing, but as always, if the price was right, I would love see him in Green Bay.

Would much rather take a chance on Dez. This type of signing would be a direct slap in the face to Jordy IMO. And I don't care about that, moreso just saying if Marshall is the kind of guy we go after, why not just keep Jordy at an incentive laiden contract he was reported to be willing to take?

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BMarsh is a talent that's worth bringing in for a workout. One year deal. Maybe around 4-5/year with incentives.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anderson is not a 1200 yard rusher. He is barely a 1000 yard rusher. 1007 to be exact. Besides I think the Packers could have a 1200 yard RB in Jones or Williams (most likely Jones) if they committed to one of them and he stayed injury free.

I think he would be a 1,200+ yard rusher on the Packers, unless you think the Packer's offensive players that would be around him are the equivalent of last year's Broncos?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If this was last year, I would try to sign CJ Anderson in a heartbeat. But its a year later and we spent 3 picks on RB's last year, 2 of which showed some promise as rookies. I think you play it out and see where both of them go. Let's not fool ourselves either, the Packer OL isn't known for its run blocking, nor is the offense centered around running the ball. Save the $2-3M it would take to sign Anderson and put it into a WR, CB, OLB, OL, S for depth.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he would be a 1,200+ yard rusher on the Packers, unless you think the Packer's offensive players that would be around him are the equivalent of last year's Broncos?

I doubt the Packers spend several picks on Rb's last draft only to waste 3M in cap to slow down their development for a guy who has been on the downslide.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He might be but then again so might Jones if given the chance. He had 5.5 YPC last year and lead the team with carries over 20 yards by far and he had about the same number of carries as Monty and half as many as Williams.

I'm not saying Anderson wouldn't be a value add. I just think we have cheaper guys that are capable of doing just as much so signing Anderson doesn't make sense to me.

Like Poker said...Last year, Heck yeah, but a lot has changed in our RBs in a year.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure where you got these numbers from but Anderson is 26th in yards per attempt since 2013 among running backs with at least 100 carries.

It's among running backs over the same time period. So it's comparing him to other RBs who have been in the NFL since 2013. My point isn't that he's the best in the NFL, it's that he's very good but his value is really low because Denver has been TERRIBLE.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
And Jordy wasn't?
Jordy's performance at the end of the year last year told me everything I need to know about his ability to continue making an impact in THIS offense. This offense is so predicated on guys winning their matchups. I think that Jordy could do well in another system that doesn't have such an emphasis on strictly winning your 1on1 matchup.

I wanted to keep Jordy aboard on two conditions: restructured contract, and be willing to take a reduced role/take considerably more snaps from the slot. As an outside receiver in this offense, he can't make an impact with anyone besides Rodgers throwing him the ball.