The Free Agency Thread

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he comes cheap he's proven to be a better running back than anyone on the roster has currently shown. Again, if he's cheap. That's the key. Getting a good player at far below his value is NEVER a bad thing. If anything, it gives the team a chance to play him, make him look really good, and then trade him midseason to a team that needs him for draft picks. Might not be worth much but getting things on sale is generally a good idea.

Much more a fan of Aaron Jones than CJ Anderson. Don't care how cheap he comes. Our HB's are actually a pretty nice trio as long as they all stay healthy.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he comes cheap he's proven to be a better running back than anyone on the roster has currently shown. Again, if he's cheap. That's the key. Getting a good player at far below his value is NEVER a bad thing. If anything, it gives the team a chance to play him, make him look really good, and then trade him midseason to a team that needs him for draft picks. Might not be worth much but getting things on sale is generally a good idea.

He's played for 5 years and he is not a bad RB. I'm not surprised he looks better at this point than a couple of rookies and essentially a rookie at the position. I just don't think he would be any better than the options we have and I think he would be more expensive even if he were to come cheap.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I could see a team like the Dolphins paying Anderson more than what I'd like the Packers to invest in a veteran running back, but if the $ is right I would absolutely sign him.

I love Jones and believe him to be a keeper. But he's not a bell cow and needs to be in committee. Williams looks adequate as a guy you partner with him, but I'm still somewhat skeptical. Anderson would be a pretty large step up.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see a team like the Dolphins paying Anderson more than what I'd like the Packers to invest in a veteran running back, but if the $ is right I would absolutely sign him.

I love Jones and believe him to be a keeper. But he's not a bell cow and needs to be in committee. Williams looks adequate as a guy you partner with him, but I'm still somewhat skeptical. Anderson would be a pretty large step up.

I absolutely agree. With Anderson we would have a Patriots like RB committee in Anderson, Jones, Williams and Montgomery. However, considering our other holes and that other teams are probably more keen on his signature I do not want us to allocate much of the remaining cap space we have towards him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Seahawks are most likely releasing former Michigan State DL Malik McDowell. He was their first pick in the draft last year #35.

MM was injured in an ATV accident last July and never played. Seattle hasn't medically cleared him, due to a concussion sustained, but sounds like they are hoping someone will pick him up and clear him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Is it just me or is Jimmy Graham TALL? That or everyone in Wisconsin is really short?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

Apparently the Broncos are releasing CJ Anderson. He would be a nice pickup if he's cheap. Since 2013 (his first year), he's fifth among RBs in YPC at 4.40 and 6th in YAC at 1.97. Running backs aren't super valuable and playing on a terrible offense has lowered his value even further. He could legitimately be a Pro Bowl caliber RB on the Packers.

The Packers have more pressing needs, therefore spending portion of the remaining cap space on a running back doesn't seem to be a smart idea.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have more pressing needs, therefore spending portion of the remaining cap space on a running back doesn't seem to be a smart idea.

Again, it really depends on how much Anderson costs. Getting a 1,200+ yard running back for 1-2 million wouldn't exactly be a terrible thing. Would also help keep the defense off the field (which is where the majority of the Packer's needs are). And, in pretty much ANY capped sport, signing a player substantially below what he's worth is ALWAYS a smart idea.

D

Deleted member 6794

Again, it really depends on how much Anderson costs. Getting a 1,200+ yard running back for 1-2 million wouldn't exactly be a terrible thing. Would also help keep the defense off the field (which is where the majority of the Packer's needs are). And, in pretty much ANY capped sport, signing a player substantially below what he's worth is ALWAYS a smart idea.

Anderson might present a decent option although he has averaged only 4.1 yards per carry over the past two seasons. Nevertheless I would prefer the Packers to spend most of their remaining cap space on other positions (CB, ED or WR).

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anderson might present a decent option although he has averaged only 4.1 yards per carry over the past two seasons. Nevertheless I would prefer the Packers to spend most of their remaining cap space on other positions (CB, ED or WR).

Yes, he's not been great the past two season with one of the worst offenses in football. That's why I think he'd be a great value. Since 2013, he's 5th in yards per carry and sixth in yards after contact.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, he's not been great the past two season with one of the worst offenses in football. That's why I think he'd be a great value. Since 2013, he's 5th in yards per carry and sixth in yards after contact.

I'm not sure where you got these numbers from but Anderson is 26th in yards per attempt since 2013 among running backs with at least 100 carries.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Running backs through FA just don't offer all that much value anymore. Especially guys like CJ Anderson. We have 3 capable guys that provide a variety of aspects to our offense. If we could keep a healthy offensive line those guys could really do some damage if need be.

n4t

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Intelligent people do not speak in absolutes.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Anderson is not a 1200 yard rusher. He is barely a 1000 yard rusher. 1007 to be exact. Besides I think the Packers could have a 1200 yard RB in Jones or Williams (most likely Jones) if they committed to one of them and he stayed injury free.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

CB Diamond Chainz who is a street free agent right now he claims that he will be the best player in the NFL.. if a team signs him

Members online

Latest posts