The Free Agency Thread

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“If the Packers take a player that I don’t personally like then it’s a bad decision for sure even though said player won’t have played a snap yet.”

LOL

With the 14th pick, the packers select Mike Mcglinchy OT Notre Dame lol

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't expect Bryant to agree to an incentive laden deal though as there will most likely be at least one team overpaying for him. If the Packers don't sign a veteran receiver before the beginning of the season I expect Allison to get the first chance at starting opposite of Adams.

Hopefully Geronimo has the same career path as Adams -> promising rookie year, disappointing second year, breakout third year.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If DJ Moore were there in round 2 for the Packers I'd be thrilled if they picked him. He could potentially be the #2 right away. Moore's stock is rising however. I think he'll be gone by the time the Packers are on the board.

One name that has suddenly popped up is Michael Gallup. Some even have him as the top receiver in the draft (PFF).

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Hopefully Geronimo has the same career path as Adams -> promising rookie year, disappointing second year, breakout third year.
Given that the Packers were pursuing a few of the top FA WR's this year, I get the feeling that they don't have a lot of confidence that Geronimo is the guy, unless the plan was to cut both Jordy and Cobb if a top FA was signed.

D

Deleted member 6794

the guy that lines up opposite adams needs to be a viable weapon and not just a body. the better he is the more pressure he takes off the others and rodgers.

The Packers would definitely benefit of having another decent starter opposite of Adams but I believe the offense could still perform at an elite level with Adams, Cobb and Graham being the primary receivering threats.

If I look at who is gone and who has been added, it’s hard for me to see how the roster hasn’t improved. That said, it needs more for sure.

The Packers added Kizer, Graham, Wilkerson and Williams while losing Randall, Nelson, Burnett and Richard Rodgers. I don't think those moves result in the overall talent level on the roster being significantly better compared to last season.

Allison wasn't a second round talent entering the league though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers would definitely benefit of having another decent starter opposite of Adams but I believe the offense could still perform at an elite level with Adams, Cobb and Graham being the primary receivering threats.

Odds of keeping all 3 on the field for 16+ games? Adams suffered his 3rd concussion in 14 months last December, we all know Sam Shields history. Cobb has had a variety of nagging injuries. Graham has missed games as well.

I agree with you that those 3 when healthy will put up decent numbers, the problem will be keeping them healthy and then finding 1-2 guys to pick up the slack. I don't even really consider Davis, Clark or Yancey in the conversation as "backups", so that leaves GMO, who right now, would be a starter.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not all that concerned about Adams' concussion history. They were legit headhunting shots and with the speed he came back from the 1st one, i'm not so certain he even had one. I think a lot of what we saw as fans was just a big exercise in caution by the training staff. and Had our season not been over with in terms of playoffs after the Carolina game, I have a feeling he would have been back pretty quickly after that shot too. Not every hard hit results in a concussion. Of course I have no medical history of Adams' from which to base my thoughts, but just how he seemed afterwards, I think he's a guy that can take a hit and keep on going. Some guys are prone to them, some are not. Skull crushing hits are sometimes barely anything and sometimes an elbow graze to the temple can cause death. The head is a funny thing.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
allison is what he is...a back up. with the Rodgers window closing they need players, not projects, on the field. i'd love Ridley at 14, or sooner hehe, as he'll become the #1 for the foreseeable. i'd also be happy with derwin james, denzel ward, r smith, t edmonds. they'll have to move up to get one of them but at this point of the game they need to do whatever it takes. playing it safe, standing pat, moving down (unless it's offer they can't refuse), is unacceptable. they need to be bold and get an impact starter.

Last edited:

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
“If the Packers take a player that I don’t personally like then it’s a bad decision for sure even though said player won’t have played a snap yet.”

LOL

I dont hate him personally. Its just a bad pick at 14.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Eagles are releasing CB Daryl Worley following his arrest on Sunday morning. It was a short run in Philly.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How does he play? I haven’t paid much attention to him at all. Would be good depth?

Not that great. I think at one time the Panthers had high hopes for him, but he wasn't that good last year. PFF gave him a position rank of 88th last year.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If DJ Moore were there in round 2 for the Packers I'd be thrilled if they picked him. He could potentially be the #2 right away. Moore's stock is rising however. I think he'll be gone by the time the Packers are on the board.

One name that has suddenly popped up is Michael Gallup. Some even have him as the top receiver in the draft (PFF).

That's the sort of guy (Moore) I wouldn't mind seeing them trade up to get in the second if he is still there. We have more picks than we need IMO so to use some of them to move up to grab a guy whose stock is rising I'd be all for it. Depending on the cost I wouldn't even mind moving up to the late first to get the 5th year option.

I don't mind standing pat at 14 because I think a very good player will be available at that spot but with 11 other picks I would rather see Gute be a bit more aggressive and go for some higher level talent rather than just sit on a bunch of picks.

If he decides to move up in the first I would be OK with that as well but I'd rather see it in the second and maybe third rounds a few times

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Odds of keeping all 3 on the field for 16+ games? Adams suffered his 3rd concussion in 14 months last December, we all know Sam Shields history. Cobb has had a variety of nagging injuries. Graham has missed games as well.

I agree with you that those 3 when healthy will put up decent numbers, the problem will be keeping them healthy and then finding 1-2 guys to pick up the slack. I don't even really consider Davis, Clark or Yancey in the conversation as "backups", so that leaves GMO, who right now, would be a starter.

There's no doubt the Packers need to add at least another quality receiver. I'm definitely not in favor of using the 14th pick on the position as there isn't a single prospect available worthy of being drafted that early though.

i'd love Ridley at 14, or sooner hehe, as he'll become the #1 for the foreseeable.

It would be a mistake to draft Ridley at #14. It would be a terrible move to trade up for him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course if we drafted him, I'd hope he'd be the best WR ever, but i would be disappointed with him at #14. I would think it a pretty poor decision to move up to get him as well. I have to believe there will be plenty of similarly or better graded players at positions of weakness will be there at #14 as well. I guess if all that are left are 1st round graded QB's by the time we pick then I'd be ok with a WR at #14. otherwise they can get a good WR2,3,4th

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt the Packers need to add at least another quality receiver. I'm definitely not in favor of using the 14th pick on the position as there isn't a single prospect available worthy of being drafted that early though.

It would be a mistake to draft Ridley at #14. It would be a terrible move to trade up for him.

Mock drafts on him are all over the place, and I did see one recently where he did not go in the first round but Maryland's DJ Moore did:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-draft-complete-updated-1st-round-projections

I'm not a draft guru by any means, but if pressed I'd guess Ridley goes somewhere in the 20's in the first round. Of course, Dallas could grab him at #19 to replace Dez......

That said, while I don't think Green Bay is thinking that way, I would not be horrified if Green bay selected him at #14 if there was a run on top defensive prospects ahead of their pick. WR is one of many positions of need for the Pack, so I could live with it.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently the Broncos are releasing CJ Anderson. He would be a nice pickup if he's cheap. Since 2013 (his first year), he's fifth among RBs in YPC at 4.40 and 6th in YAC at 1.97. Running backs aren't super valuable and playing on a terrible offense has lowered his value even further. He could legitimately be a Pro Bowl caliber RB on the Packers.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently the Broncos are releasing CJ Anderson. He would be a nice pickup if he's cheap. Since 2013 (his first year), he's fifth among RBs in YPC at 4.40 and 6th in YAC at 1.97. Running backs aren't super valuable and playing on a terrible offense has lowered his value even further. He could legitimately be a Pro Bowl caliber RB on the Packers.

They're even less valuable when you already have 2 plus a 3rd in Montgomery. I'll pass on him, no need. I'm all in on Aaron Jones

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we'll see. there were other names i mentioned moving up for in that post too. but...as i said earlier, depending on what type of O they're going to run, if they took Ridley, he'd take pressure off the others including Rodgers.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're even less valuable when you already have 2 plus a 3rd in Montgomery. I'll pass on him, no need. I'm all in on Aaron Jones

If he comes cheap he's proven to be a better running back than anyone on the roster has currently shown. Again, if he's cheap. That's the key. Getting a good player at far below his value is NEVER a bad thing. If anything, it gives the team a chance to play him, make him look really good, and then trade him midseason to a team that needs him for draft picks. Might not be worth much but getting things on sale is generally a good idea.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For lack of a better place to put it. The Vikings are starting to find out what it is going to cost to keep their defense in tact. I think this was a bargain for the Vikings.

The #Vikings are locking up star LB Eric Kendricks to a 5-year, $50M extension, per @MikeGarafolo and me. A key part of their D just got paid. He gets $25M guaranteed

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For lack of a better place to put it. The Vikings are starting to find out what it is going to cost to keep their defense in tact. I think this was a bargain for the Vikings.

The #Vikings are locking up star LB Eric Kendricks to a 5-year, $50M extension, per @MikeGarafolo and me. A key part of their D just got paid. He gets $25M guaranteed

Adding in his $10M APY salary, the Vikings are paying roughly $60M/year to Rhodes/Griffen/Joseph/Smith and now Kendricks. All of whom are under contract for the next 3-4 years. They still have some work to do and big names coming up (Barr, Diggs, Rudolph) but all in all, they're in pretty good shape.

Latest posts