The Free Agency Thread

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Keep on eye on DeSean Hamilton of Penn St, a guy I think would thrive in this offence.

I like DeaSean. Everything I read about the guy talks about his excellent route running and his ability to work himself open, which is something the Packers could really use. I am hoping he is still on the board late 4th round for the Packers to use their comp pick on. Although, if they grab EQ Brown, no need. :)

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree, except on the part about waiting until the 5th round or later. That was Thompson's MO and it has produced squat so far. I truly believe the WR position has been coasting for far too long. Adams is the only lock to be here in 2019. Even if you sign a guy like Marshall, it will probably be only a one year prove it deal. Time to invest a 2nd or 3rd round pick in a WR for the future, but I wouldn't rely on that guy to be the guy in 2018.
if they don't go wr in the 1st they need to do it in the 2nd...maybe even trade back into the 1st.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no WR worth taking Top 15, and we have much more glaring issues than at the WR spot. If worse comes to worst we can sign a FA WR to fill in.

Couple other guys to consider:

Michael Floyd
Jeremy Maclin
Markus Wheaton
Dontrelle Inman

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no WR worth taking Top 15, and we have much more glaring issues than at the WR spot. If worse comes to worst we can sign a FA WR to fill in.

Couple other guys to consider:

Michael Floyd
Jeremy Maclin
Markus Wheaton
Dontrelle Inman

I would probably agree that there is no WR worth taking at 14 but that doesn't mean there won't be some good ones available later. There are several worth a late first or early 2nd round pick and I wouldn't mind trading up to get one.

As far as those 4 you mentioned ... Meh. I mean they might represent an upgrade over Allison but none of them are a guy I would get excited about.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Ridley...he'll be gone by 15. i don't there's a mock in the country that doesn't have him going early.

I've also seen Sutton mocked to the Niners at 9 in a couple more popular mocks.

The "Fiction Peddeling" on here is amazing. Yet people are all Goo Goo Gah Gah over Harold Landry who could easily be given a late first, early second round grade and has been by some experts.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn’t mind taking 3 or even 4 wrs in this draft. We need to restock our talent there. Especially since I don’t see Cobb being here after this season. Behind Adams and Cobb we have not much. Hope a guy like Michael Clark can break through considering his physical talents and him only having played 1 year of college ball. But nobody else to be that excited about.

D

Deleted member 6794

Why not? No doubt in my mind the Packers need to find another starting WR to put on the opposite side of Adams.

I agree the Packers need abother starting caliber receiver opposite of Adams but I would be extremely disappointed if the team released Nelson, seemingly offering him a deal close to the veterans minimum, to replace him with Marshall, possibly agreeing to a contract paying hin several millions.

You do realize I said they should bring him in for a workout first right? No point spending money on a guy who can't run on an injured leg. I think 5m per season for a WR3 with the upside of Brandon Marshall is what it would cost.

It's possible Marshall is asking for $5 million in which case the Packers should definitely pass on him.

if they don't go wr in the 1st they need to do it in the 2nd...maybe even trade back into the 1st.

I don't want the Packers to use the 14th pick on a receiver but am definitely in favor of addressing the position early in the draft.

As far as those 4 you mentioned ... Meh. I mean they might represent an upgrade over Allison but none of them are a guy I would get excited about.

In my opinion any of the four receivers mentioned would present a decent fourth receiving option behind Adams, Cobb and Graham.

Wouldn’t mind taking 3 or even 4 wrs in this draft.

The Packers definitely need to improve at wide receiver but they shouldn't draft three or four players at the position as the team has other pressing needs as well.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers definitely need to improve at wide receiver but they shouldn't draft three or four players at the position as the team has other pressing needs as well.

I disagree, with 12 picks I wouldn’t mind it at all. Also wouldn’t mind if we took about 3 cbs. That still gives us 6 picks to use on other players while replenishing some talent in two very important positions void of talent. Of course my opinion changes if they use some picks to trade up for better overall talent

D

Deleted member 6794

I disagree, with 12 picks I wouldn’t mind it at all. Also wouldn’t mind if we took about 3 cbs. That still gives us 6 picks to use on other players while replenishing some talent in two very important positions void of talent. Of course my opinion changes if they use some picks to trade up for better overall talent

In my opinion it's most important to address cornerback, edge rusher and wide receiver during the first two days of the draft. After that there are other needs to address as well therefore making it unrealsitic to select three WRs and CBs each.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ridley...he'll be gone by 15. i don't there's a mock in the country that doesn't have him going early.

I certainly hope so. That would mean a defensive players gets pushed down to the Packers but I think the Packers gets stuck with Davenport (a bust waiting to happen) or Ridley at 14 because the better defensive players have all been taken.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In my opinion it's most important to address cornerback, edge rusher and wide receiver during the first two days of the draft. After that there are other needs to address as well therefore making it unrealsitic to select three WRs and CBs each.
Agree and mid to late round WR's have netted the Packers Squadoosh dating all the way back to 1999 and Donald Driver. Since then, James Jones, 3rd Rd. #78, is the latest pick in the draft of WR's that contributed much. Hopefully, the Packers see this trend and find a WR early enough, that he actually contributes to the team as a WR in the future.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Disagree, I don’t see how taking those 3 positions on the first two days has any impact on taking extra cbs and wrs. With 12 picks and then 6 there’s plenty left over for a TE, OL and whatever else we need.

Edge
Cb
Wr
Cb
Te
Ilb
Wr
Ol
Edge
Cb
Wr
Ol

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Disagree, I don’t see how taking those 3 positions on the first two days has any impact on taking extra cbs and wrs. With 12 picks and then 6 there’s plenty left over for a TE, OL and whatever else we need.

Edge
Cb
Wr
Cb
Te
Ilb
Wr
Ol
Edge
Cb
Wr
Ol

I would be stunned if the Packers actually use all 12 picks for 12 players. I would prefer that they end up with 6-8 higher picks using those other 4-6 picks to do it.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope this helps some to come to grips that he was simply a depth signing as well as an insurance policy and nothing more.

Like I've said, that's fine. But the very reasons given for why this isn't a bad signing make my point; then why didn't they get one of the dozens of CB's better than him?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Like I've said, that's fine. But the very reasons given for why this isn't a bad signing make my point; then why didn't they get one of the dozens of CB's better than him?

What "dozens" are those? Also, how do we know they didn't try to sign other guys? There is also 5+ months before the 53 man roster is made, other guys still can be signed. There are definitely better FA CB's still on the market, I question the dozens part, but maybe those guys left are still asking for too much in the Packers eyes or those guys didn't want to play in Green Bay.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What "dozens" are those? Also, how do we know they didn't try to sign other guys? There is also 5+ months before the 53 man roster is made, other guys still can be signed. There are definitely better FA CB's still on the market, I question the dozens part, but maybe those guys left are still asking for too much in the Packers eyes or those guys didn't want to play in Green Bay.

I've yet to see one rating/ evaluation by scouts that had House in the top 50-60. He's stiff, limited, and blows too many assignments for a guy with 6 years in the league.
You get enough about rumors and visits to get a pretty good idea of how seriously- or even if- a team pursued a player; especially the times you hear from a player or their agent that "no, we never heard from team X"' or that if they even made an offer, it wasn't serious.
I'll stick with my opinion- it's a lazy signing, and a waste of cap and roster space. And again, for those saying, hey he was cheap, no big deal, or he might not even make the roster, than I say again- then why bother to begin with? Go out and get better.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I've yet to see one rating/ evaluation by scouts that had House in the top 50-60. He's stiff, limited, and blows too many assignments for a guy with 6 years in the league.
You get enough about rumors and visits to get a pretty good idea of how seriously- or even if- a team pursued a player; especially the times you hear from a player or their agent that "no, we never heard from team X"' or that if they even made an offer, it wasn't serious.
I'll stick with my opinion- it's a lazy signing, and a waste of cap and roster space. And again, for those saying, hey he was cheap, no big deal, or he might not even make the roster, than I say again- then why bother to begin with? Go out and get better.
7 years in the league. I don't think I or many thought the Packers were signing a top 50-60 CB in House. When you consider most teams use 3-4 CB's and there are 32 teams, your #3 or 4 guy probably isn't going to be in that range. Again, who are the other dozens of FA's in that top 50-60 range that should have been signed around that same time period or now and how much are you paying them?

Last edited: