The Free Agency Thread

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Jordy's performance at the end of the year last year told me everything I need to know about his ability to continue making an impact in THIS offense. This offense is so predicated on guys winning their matchups. I think that Jordy could do well in another system that doesn't have such an emphasis on strictly winning your 1on1 matchup.

I wanted to keep Jordy aboard on two conditions: restructured contract, and be willing to take a reduced role/take considerably more snaps from the slot. As an outside receiver in this offense, he can't make an impact with anyone besides Rodgers throwing him the ball.
You DO realize I was responding to someone that wanted to spend $5m on Brandon Marshall? He gave the same reasons why we could have kept Jordy. Didn't happen with Jordy, don't expect a BM.

D

Deleted member 6794

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
NFL Update‏ @MySportsUpdate

BREAKING: #Giants are expected to release WR Brandon Marshall today, per @ByKimberleyA.

OK, now there is a guy whose tires I would kick!

The Packers shouldn't be interested in Marshall by any means.

I think he would be a 1,200+ yard rusher on the Packers, unless you think the Packer's offensive players that would be around him are the equivalent of last year's Broncos?

I don't think Anderson would get enough touches in Green Bay to even come close to 1,200 rushing yards.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers shouldn't be interested in Marshall by any means.

Why not? No doubt in my mind the Packers need to find another starting WR to put on the opposite side of Adams. No doubt in my mind they were looking for one in Free Agency. Maybe another starting caliber guy becomes available between now and September, but maybe not. I don't think they are going to find an instant starter in the draft.

Some may not like Marshall's perceived cockiness, but I would take it over Dez's cockiness and drops, not to mention that I think BM will come a lot cheaper. I also happen to think BM is a better WR.

Just my opinion, but this guy says it well too.

https://www.inquisitr.com/opinion/4...why-brandon-marshall-could-be-worth-a-chance/

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
IMO, Marshall is even more done than Jordy.
Personally, I don't think Jordy is/was done. With having most of last year off, I am guessing Marshall has a lot more in the tank than Jordy. I also look back at who each guy had throwing to them in the past, nod goes to Marshall for putting up good stats, despite not so great QB's.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, Marshall is even more done than Jordy.

This doesn't need 'IMO'. This statement is a fact. Marshall is a more beat up, slower, and has always dropped more passes than Jordy. He's also two years older so there's a good reason for Marshall to be more beat up than Nelson.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This doesn't need 'IMO'. This statement is a fact. Marshall is a more beat up, slower, and has always dropped more passes than Jordy. He's also two years older so there's a good reason for Marshall to be more beat up than Nelson.

It's funny....I often hesitate to put "IMO" in a comment, because of course most of what we write here is our opinions.

I'm glad that you could present the absolute facts in such a way that removes all doubts of it being an opinion. OK, will give you the age, although Jordy is only 14 months younger, but 2 years sounds better. ;)

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another issue I'd have with Marshall. He's been hinting at retirement for a while now, even going so far as to say before last season that 2017 would be his last.
What if at mid season, he looks around and says, "I don't want to do this anymore".

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Another issue I'd have with Marshall. He's been hinting at retirement for a while now, even going so far as to say before last season that 2017 would be his last.
What if at mid season, he looks around and says, "I don't want to do this anymore".

I think you can run that risk with anyone once they get past 30. Whether they physically retire or mentally check out. Obviously, you have to gauge BM's interest and make his contract incentive laden enough to play hard and finish the year.

Would I have wanted BM a month ago over some of the other options available at the time? Probably not, but given the current options and the obvious need, at the right price, I would be fine with the Packers signing BM.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny....I often hesitate to put "IMO" in a comment, because of course most of what we write here is our opinions.

I'm glad that you could present the absolute facts in such a way that removes all doubts of it being an opinion. OK, will give you the age, although Jordy is only 14 months younger, but 2 years sounds better. ;)

Glad I could help clear things up!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Unfortunately some people have no idea how to distinguish fact from opinion. The prevailing thought process for some of these posters is "if you say it it is an opinion, and a lousy one at that, and if I say it is a fact and an indisputable one.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Unfortunately some people have no idea how to distinguish fact from opinion. The prevailing thought process for some of these posters is "if you say it it is an opinion, and a lousy one at that, and if I say it is a fact and an indisputable one.

Agreed and I knew that my opinion that the Packers should look into Brandon Marshall wouldn't be that well received here. However, what fun is this place if you don't have an opinion, while being open to other people's opinions in the process.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not? No doubt in my mind the Packers need to find another starting WR to put on the opposite side of Adams. No doubt in my mind they were looking for one in Free Agency. Maybe another starting caliber guy becomes available between now and September, but maybe not. I don't think they are going to find an instant starter in the draft.

Some may not like Marshall's perceived cockiness, but I would take it over Dez's cockiness and drops, not to mention that I think BM will come a lot cheaper. I also happen to think BM is a better WR.

Just my opinion, but this guy says it well too.

https://www.inquisitr.com/opinion/4...why-brandon-marshall-could-be-worth-a-chance/

You realise that over the last several seasons Brandon Marshall has the most frequent drops among WR's? Not only that but he has worn out his welcome in 5 different lockerooms during his career. For being malcontent.

I dont think Marshall is finished and he will probably come somewhat cheaper than Dez, but there is no doubt in my mind Dez is the better product with more upside at this point.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Welcome to the Internet. It's a crazy place, full of horrors and cat videos.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only that but he has worn out his welcome in 5 different lockerooms during his career. For being malcontent.

Possibly because no matter how hard he tries he can never reach the post season, barely even .500 for that matter.

I'm pretty sure at this stage of his career he knows he's not going to be a No.1 option; but knowing he's going to get decent playing time, as well as playing relevant football in December and more than likely his first postseason appearance....I'm sure he could be singing a different tune.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What? no ****? Or did you just misspell ******?

This is a family friendly place...plus pointing out **** while discussing the Internet is kind of redundant. It's like discussing potential draft picks and pointing out that each one is human; you just don't need to do it (unless it's Air Bud).

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Possibly because no matter how hard he tries he can never reach the post season, barely even .500 for that matter.

I'm pretty sure at this stage of his career he knows he's not going to be a No.1 option; but knowing he's going to get decent playing time, as well as playing relevant football in December and more than likely his first postseason appearance....I'm sure he could be singing a different tune.

Not reaching the post season is why he almost leads the league in drops every season?

I mean dont get me wrong. I liked Brandon Marshall for a long time. I think he still holds a place on a team looking for that possession guy. But i dont like him here. Needs a lot of targets but doesnt do a lot with the ball.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You DO realize I was responding to someone that wanted to spend $5m on Brandon Marshall? He gave the same reasons why we could have kept Jordy. Didn't happen with Jordy, don't expect a BM.
You do realize I said they should bring him in for a workout first right? No point spending money on a guy who can't run on an injured leg. I think 5m per season for a WR3 with the upside of Brandon Marshall is what it would cost.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not reaching the post season is why he almost leads the league in drops every season?

I mean dont get me wrong. I liked Brandon Marshall for a long time. I think he still holds a place on a team looking for that possession guy. But i dont like him here. Needs a lot of targets but doesnt do a lot with the ball.

Possession receivers in general need a lot of targets to rack up yards unless they can break tackles. But with this class of WRs I'd rather we kick the tires on Marshall then waste a pick on one of these guys unless they slide into the 5th Round or later.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Possession receivers in general need a lot of targets to rack up yards unless they can break tackles. But with this class of WRs I'd rather we kick the tires on Marshall then waste a pick on one of these guys unless they slide into the 5th Round or later.

I totally agree, except on the part about waiting until the 5th round or later. That was Thompson's MO and it has produced squat so far. I truly believe the WR position has been coasting for far too long. Adams is the only lock to be here in 2019. Even if you sign a guy like Marshall, it will probably be only a one year prove it deal. Time to invest a 2nd or 3rd round pick in a WR for the future, but I wouldn't rely on that guy to be the guy in 2018.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree, except on the part about waiting until the 5th round or later. That was Thompson's MO and it has produced squat so far. I truly believe the WR position has been coasting for far too long. Adams is the only lock to be here in 2019. Even if you sign a guy like Marshall, it will probably be only a one year prove it deal. Time to invest a 2nd or 3rd round pick in a WR for the future, but I wouldn't rely on that guy to be the guy in 2018.

As long as there are day 3 gems you will always have some fans saying you can wait to find stars in the draft. Never mind that when you compare the numbers drafted in those rounds to the actual numbers of stars that come out of them it makes it a huge long shot. I'm with you. We have rested on our laurels for to long with regards to the WR position. Teds numerous hits in the early rounds have made sure that we always have at least a couple of competent WRs but it also gave us a false sense of security in that his early round success was taken to mean his overall success which, when you got past round 3 was dismal or worse. I'm not saying he didn't try but that he failed to uncover any of those gems. Now when our early round picks are getting long in the tooth or moving on we are sitting with a bunch of late round poke and hopes with no real succession plan in place.

I'm aware that this draft may not be very deep when it comes to WRs and I'm not saying we have to grab one of the top prospects at 14 but there are numerous pretty highly touted WRs projected in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. With free agents currently available I will be pretty disappointed if we don't grab a WR on day 2. I wouldn't even mind it if we had to move up a bit to get one.

I do think that with Adams, Graham and Cobb as our primary pass catchers our top 3 will be better than average this year IF they can stay healthy. However, that does not take into consideration Cobbs uncertainty next year. IMO we need a young guy to develop into a solid 3rd option (be it slot or opposite Adams) to prepare for Cobbs departure if it comes after this season. There is no one left in FA this year to do that and waiting until next year in FA is waiting too long IMO.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally agree, except on the part about waiting until the 5th round or later. That was Thompson's MO and it has produced squat so far. I truly believe the WR position has been coasting for far too long.

I think we can get Callaway or Valdez-Scantling in the 5th or later. I'm really solid on thinking St. Brown will be around in the 3rd or 4th but I'm content with letting G.Mo continue to develop otherwise.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As long as there are day 3 gems you will always have some fans saying you can wait to find stars in the draft. Never mind that when you compare the numbers drafted in those rounds to the actual numbers of stars that come out of them it makes it a huge long shot. I'm with you. We have rested on our laurels for to long with regards to the WR position. Teds numerous hits in the early rounds have made sure that we always have at least a couple of competent WRs but it also gave us a false sense of security in that his early round success was taken to mean his overall success which, when you got past round 3 was dismal or worse. I'm not saying he didn't try but that he failed to uncover any of those gems. Now when our early round picks are getting long in the tooth or moving on we are sitting with a bunch of late round poke and hopes with no real succession plan in place.

I'm aware that this draft may not be very deep when it comes to WRs and I'm not saying we have to grab one of the top prospects at 14 but there are numerous pretty highly touted WRs projected in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. With free agents currently available I will be pretty disappointed if we don't grab a WR on day 2. I wouldn't even mind it if we had to move up a bit to get one.

I do think that with Adams, Graham and Cobb as our primary pass catchers our top 3 will be better than average this year IF they can stay healthy. However, that does not take into consideration Cobbs uncertainty next year. IMO we need a young guy to develop into a solid 3rd option (be it slot or opposite Adams) to prepare for Cobbs departure if it comes after this season. There is no one left in FA this year to do that and waiting until next year in FA is waiting too long IMO.

I was worrying about the WR's a year ago and was assured by many that we have one of the best and deepest WR groups in the NFL. Well our WR group is now one year later, minus Jordy and I do not see any real development strides from anyone besides Adams and our depth is sh*t. With #12 and an offense that lives and dies on the passing game, this has to be the year the Packers find a complimentary WR to Adams, as well as possibly a replacement for Cobb. I keep saying it, but it's pretty obvious to me that the FO knows this has to get done based on the reports of who they were going after in Free Agency. I'm actually at the point where if there isn't a top #1 defensive guy on the board at #14, I would almost be fine with Ridley, knowing we need another WR.

I can't imagine where we would be right now, yeah I know its only April, had the Packers cut Cobb like many were screaming for. AR is a great QB, but he needs WR's he is confident in and ones that can run routes and catch the ball. How many games have we seen injuries take out our top guys and even AR struggles.

Last edited: