Studs n duds Niners playoffs

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
our special teams consistently sucked on Saturday. When you're playing a game like that, it's a defensive struggle and yards are damn tough to come by you NEED your special teams to get a good return once and a while, or pin them deep to gain back field position. Ours never did. They consistently gave the 49ers a half of a field to get points and put our offense deep in our own territory possession after possession and made that game that much tougher.

Then they were responsible for 10 points thru blocks alone. They were bad that game and the glaring mistakes cost us a season.
Exactly, but lets blame Rodgers and the offense, because the 49'ers defense sucks, we were at home and should have lit them up!

I think most knew that this was going to be a close game and that the 9'ers were a much improved football team from the one that the Packers beat in Sept. The Packer Defense played great. The Offense struggled due to a really good 49'er defense. Special teams shat the bed all night long.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly, but lets blame Rodgers and the offense, because the 49'ers defense sucks, we were at home and should have lit them up!

I think most knew that this was going to be a close game and that the 9'ers were a much improved football team from the one that the Packers beat in Sept. The Packer Defense played great. The Offense struggled due to a really good 49'er defense. Special teams shat the bed all night long.

Stop. Just stop. You cannot dismiss any fault at all to the offense merely because the Niners defense is good - dear freaking Lord when it mattered Jimmy G led his team on a winning drive against our freaking good offense. Our special team blunders where we use depth guys, guess what their starting safety blocked that kick, their BEST offensive weapon returned their kicks....I don't see anyone demanding we put a guy like Davante as returner or our starting lineman on the blocking front for STs.

This was lost massively on two fronts - you have to choose ignorance not to see it and admit it. You want to say more blame lies on one over the other fine, so be it. But dear lord folks we are talking about an offense with the BEST QB in the game IMO, with the BEST WR in the game presently IMO, with a STUD RB that delivered basically one play after the 9:25 mark in the first quarter. One play.

The special teams had two autrociously bad plays (the two blocks) and two bad plays (two coverage unit failures).

Jim Lite

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kevans74 said:
Just stop with the AR and "no WR help" BS, it was the same thing with Favre. Favre didn't get "good" WRs until he had Jennings and Jones. Just stop
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Turner was one of our better OL saturdaynight honestly, I also would have done Yosh there, but Turner is not the reason we sucked.
true… but i’m thinking he would have done a better job at right tackle if Yosh could have handled the left. I’d have to watch the game again (which i won’t do lol) but I feel like an unusual amount of pressure actually came from the right in that game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Stop. Just stop. You cannot dismiss any fault at all to the offense merely because the Niners defense is good
We are going to have to agree to disagree on that. The Packers offense wasn't a world beater all year, but they were good, up until they ran into a 49'er defense that had them confused most of the night.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Turner was one of our better OL saturdaynight honestly, I also would have done Yosh there, but Turner is not the reason we sucked.
Anyone know if there was something wrong with Yosh? I know he wasn't on the inactive, but I still would like to hear the full story behind that starting OL.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are going to have to agree to disagree on that. The Packers offense wasn't a world beater all year, but they were good, up until they ran into a 49'er defense that had them confused most of the night.

That doesn't dismiss them doing nothing. Giving that side of the ball a pass is just dumb.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That doesn't dismiss them doing nothing. Giving that side of the ball a pass is just dumb.
I'm not giving them a pass, they scored twice and had special teams not screwed the pooch, at least once more. Wouldn't be the first time a team only scored 13 points and won a game.

Back to special teams, here is how you coach a unit to be special, watch the chop of Lowery's arm, to allow Jimmy Ward to sail right on bye.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not giving them a pass, they scored twice and had special teams not screwed the pooch, at least once more. Wouldn't be the first time a team only scored 13 points and won a game.

Back to special teams, here is how you coach a unit to be special, watch the chop of Lowery's arm, to allow Jimmy Ward to sail right on bye.

Don't make me keep watching the blocks....they infuriate me. I literally remember seeing only 5 rushed for the block on the block punt and breathing a sigh of relief which was caught half breath with the thud of the block....

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Don't make me keep watching the blocks....they infuriate me. I literally remember seeing only 5 rushed for the block on the block punt and breathing a sigh of relief which was caught half breath with the thud of the block....
lol....if there was another game for the Packers, I would hope that they watched some of this film and addressed the blunders. A good coach studies film, not just to fix his own team, but to find his opponents weaknesses and try to exploit them. This wasn't by accident that the FG was blocked, it was the 49'ers knowing how to exploit a weakness in the Packers FG unit.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually didn't dislike our return game against the Niners and Bojo was a mixed bag in the bad weather that one 57 yarder flipped the field excellently.
They still had starting field position at like the 35 after that play. Good put for sure. but then we force a 3 and out and start over around the 20 again anyway.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They still had starting field position at like the 35 after that play. Good put for sure. but then we force a 3 and out and start over around the 20 again anyway.

Oh for sure, but that cannot be held against the punt unit and Bojo that time.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty accurate in my opinion.

Yup which is why they (offense) don't deserve the entire blame.

To use his same argument, the special teams doesn't even play a quarter of the game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh for sure, but that cannot be held against the punt unit and Bojo that time.
It's not a knock against them for that particular play, but in the flow of the game, they had zero impact other than negative.

Starting field position for the Packers
1st drive- 31yd line.
25 yard line
own 16
own 17
own 25
INT we start at our own 4
own 32 pretty decent 2 incomplete passes, one to an open deguara who dropped it at midfield.
own 28 ends in FG
own 21 after 4th down stop ends in blocked punt for TD
own 25

49er's
1st drive- 40yd line
we fumbled they take over on their own 42
own 38
own 34
own 23
2nd half kick to the 50
own 28
own 28 again after kickoff
own 29 game winning FG drive

we started 7 drives 25 or in on our side of the field. The 49ers? 1

our special teams was on the losing end almost all night and committed the 2 huge blunders resulting in 10 pt swing and not leaving much for them to get another FG after a 45 yard return was given up.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing I didn't know. There is no defense to grading the ST any higher than an F+ saturday night.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I get the desire to blame Aaron Rodgers, MLF, the offense etc. for not scoring more points. However, sometimes you run into a really good defense, one that just plays you really well that day/night. I think that was the case with the 49'ers. The night started with the Packers marching down the field in a short well sustained drive. The 49'ers made some adjustments, one being to blanket Davante and shut him down as best as possible. Over the course of the next several series, you could see the wheels coming off the offense. Were there adjustments MLF could have made? Sure and maybe he did, but losing Dillon for the game, was probably the biggest blow to the offense. Did Rodgers panic and forget he had other receivers besides Adams and Jones? Probably, but were those guys getting open (besides the one we have all debated about).

Bottom line, the offense sputtered due to a 49'er defense that played even better than the Packers own Defense. The Packer offense could only score 10 points and had the Special teams done a better job, maybe 13 points and a 13-3 win.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Of course...but excuses still just ignore the fact the offense sucked. The special teams sucked more.
The post below explains why some of us have to explain that Rodgers wasn't the only one playing and he wasn't playing on special teams, blocking, running or catching the ball. Could he have had a better game? Sure, but so could the whole team.
Agreed. People need to stop letting Rodgers off the hook. He sucked AGAIN. He choked AGAIN. Period.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Packers Offense: 13 points (less 3 on blocked FG)

49'ers Offense: 6 points

Where does the difference lie?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The post below explains why some of us have to explain that Rodgers wasn't the only one playing and he wasn't playing on special teams, blocking, running or catching the ball. Could he have had a better game? Sure, but so could the whole team.

How do you not see both of you are missing the honesty of the big picture. You defend the concept the offense shouldn’t hold blame, and he places too much solely on Rodgers.

I’d argue against both of you. lol