Studs n duds Niners playoffs

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud: the GM for not getting us another playmaker for the receiving corps. You look around at the teams left . They’re loaded with deep and playmaking threats. We have Dante and a bunch of possession guys.
Yet two of those guys were open on Rodgers' final play. They can't throw to themselves. That's on 12.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud: the GM for not getting us another playmaker for the receiving corps. You look around at the teams left . They’re loaded with deep and playmaking threats. We have Dante and a bunch of possession guys. It’s just not enough, and it’s been this way for a while. Players like Samuel put pressure on the defense. But the packer offense was mostly on the defensive. Why is that? It enough offensive weapons.

studs: the pass rushers
As good as Gute is, I have to agree with you here. We have known for YEARS that our receiving corps is Davante and everyone else. It took only a little extra to get OBJ a more enticing offer to come to GB and play for us for THIS YEAR.

That, and the fact that MLF didnt fire our ST coach during the seasons, have been the two main reasons why we lost Saturday's game IMHO.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wouldn't matter who you signed to play. In Rodgers' mind it would always Davante and everyone else. He barely bothered even throwing to Cobb, who he insisted on re-signing.
I actually thought this game would put an end to the crowd demanding another high WR selection. You could add Josh Jefferson, Deebo, and Lamb to the roster. Rodgers isn't throwing to them anyway. Whoever it is, Rodgers doesn't throw it to open WRs if their name doesn't ryhmn with Madams.

There is 1 way to improve the passing game with Rodgers. Do not resign Adams.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
decided to wait til I was less pissed off.

Studs - D, nuff said, did all they could to only concede 6 points in the game. even the Jets or Jags could win a game if they did that.

Duds - ST, outside of the 2 blown plays, they did ok, but F*** me did they S*** the bed by allowing 2 kicks to be blocked

Light Duds - AR & the O. think it was into the second half before AR even targeted someone not name Adams or Jones. even if covered he's got to at least make SF think he's willing to throw all over. sceme only does so much, people need to get open more themselves too.

Overall no disappointment when it ended, i was F****** raging this time

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Good points. While it is warranted sometimes, I think people focus too much on one player, usually the qb. There are 12 men on the field, plus the defense & sts.

Well I hope they don't have 12 men on the field, that would be a penalty ;)

Although, I would expect that from the Packer Special teams.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How long have you and I been agreeing on this? Since Jennings left probably, and its gone steadily down hill. To play devils advocate however why invest in a player your QB won't throw to anyway?
I hear you brother, but nobody else seems to believe that the WR room is way too heavily tilted towards Davante. Although, I am starting to read some posters think that a legit #2 might have been a difference maker.
was he the neighbor you spoke of in your post in the thread where you talked about watching **** until you neighbors put up drapes.
LOL.....you have way too good of a memory!
Doesn't Rodgers have the ball on a string so he can pull it back. I think the Globetrotters used to do that and they won all the time.
Not only does he have a string, he has eagle eyes. He sees the entire field from above and in super slow motion.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You aren’t wrong… but the bottom line is that Rodgers chose a 40 yard pass into double coverage on 3rd down when a first down was desperately needed. I will never be convinced that that was a good decision.
I agree that in hind sight and in looking at overhead slow motion views of the play (several times for me), Rodgers should have held the ball longer and hopefully saw Lazard break free and hit him. However, I also acknowledge that Rodgers sometimes makes incredible throws, that no matter how many times you watch them, you are amazed at how he threaded a perfect ball into a very well covered receiver. Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad, Rodgers isn't perfect and in this case, in hind sight, he threw to the wrong guy.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers played with a makeshift OL all year and it finally caught up to them. When I saw that Bakh was inactive, I thought Yosh would get the start so Turner could stay at RT. That's his best position. When I saw that he was going to LT with Kelly at RT, my first thought was last year's NFCCG. Rodgers had very few clean pockets in this game. Maybe they should have stayed with the same group they used most of the year. Kept Patrick at C and Newman at RG with Yosh at LT instead of moving guys around. At least they had some continuity.

When Jenkins went down, I had hoped it wouldn't be a fatal blow. But with Bakh not able to go, it was too much to overcome.
Cannot believe they played Turner at L tackle after last year's fiasco. And did not change during the game when they saw how little time Rodgers had. Wow!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cannot believe they played Turner at L tackle after last year's fiasco. And did not change during the game when they saw how little time Rodgers had. Wow!

Turner was one of our better OL saturdaynight honestly, I also would have done Yosh there, but Turner is not the reason we sucked.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Duds - ST, outside of the 2 blown plays, they did ok

They did not do OK when we kicked off. There were two runbacks. One all the way to the 50.
Not only did the Special Teams crap the bed in this game and others, they did nothing special all year. Besides made FG's, I can't think of really anything special that the special teams did this year. I am probably missing something, but did they have a blocked kick, punt, forced fumble and recovery, long return?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They did not do OK when we kicked off. There were two runbacks. One all the way to the 50.
our special teams consistently sucked on Saturday. When you're playing a game like that, it's a defensive struggle and yards are damn tough to come by you NEED your special teams to get a good return once and a while, or pin them deep to gain back field position. Ours never did. They consistently gave the 49ers a half of a field to get points and put our offense deep in our own territory possession after possession and made that game that much tougher.

Then they were responsible for 10 points thru blocks alone. They were bad that game and the glaring mistakes cost us a season.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just stop with the AR and "no WR help" BS, it was the same thing with Favre. Favre didn't get "good" WRs until he had Jennings and Jones. Just stop

Are we supposed to believe he was supposed to have done a super man trick with Schroeder, Freeman, Bradford, etc.

He just didn't make enough plays .

Both those guys are just playoff chokers and that's the reality, stop making excuses for them. Both are still Top 20 all time regardless though

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually didn't dislike our return game against the Niners and Bojo was a mixed bag in the bad weather that one 57 yarder flipped the field excellently.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not only did the Special Teams crap the bed in this game and others, they did nothing special all year. Besides made FG's, I can't think of really anything special that the special teams did this year. I am probably missing something, but did they have a blocked kick, punt, forced fumble and recovery, long return?
I just meant compared to our low expectations of them

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just meant compared to our low expectations of them
I think that was the problem with the team too....by midseason, they had low expectations of the special teams and did everything they could just to not make mistakes. I think we saw it in some of the key cogs in each unit. Crosby had a bad year. Bojo started strong and then had some bad punts. Returners dropped some balls and basically looked to do no harm.

Special teams played scared, with no aggression all season and it really showed up and bit us in ass in that last game. I put almost 100% of that on coaching.