Studs n duds Lions edition

HD3924

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haven't seen a stud in there. Improvement was, # 7 did not throw an interception. Anything else was a nightmare.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The encouraging thing for me early on in the season was some of the pressure that we were able to get. I remember saying that the only way this defense could hold up and be respectable is if we are able to consistently generate pressure, which would aid in the back end holding up.

Right now, to your point, the lack of pressure is a killer.

How much of it's trying to keep rushers in the passing lanes? I didn't see Perry and Matthews flying upfield much at all for instance. It seemed like we used some twists and stunts but that was about it, mostly it was just take direct lines to the quarterback.

Clay Matthews is an inside outside player, if he's mixing in bull rushes(never a strong suit of his) with some twists he's not going to be able to set up the inside moves. So set him up with some jet rushes around the edge and then when they kick the back out wide a couple times(which they did consistently) start sending blitzes into the space behind the Rt and the RG and you'll likely get a free rusher. I noticed that Detroit was scheming their back to Matthews way quite a bit which stumped him on a couple twist rushes and around the edge a couple of times, ok so that makes it two players on one guy there's free rusher potential just sitting there. If the back is helping against Matthews' inside rushes then fire Jones at them around the edge while running the twist. You do this a few times and even when you dont bring extra pressure you'll still set up more one on one rushes for Clay on the outside.

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Rogers getting hurt is the best thing that ever happened to the Packers… I mean Maybe we could actually get MM Out of there and get Gruden...

Disagree about Rodgers going down being a good thing. Disagree about getting rid of Mac...agree on Chucky

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They had it, where did it go? This defense confuses the crap out of me. Matthews has his injury history, but this year, he's been pretty good in the energy and putting pressure on, even though the sacks aren't there. Perry looked better than average wtih a club. Daniels and Clark provided push. Lowery is a solid rotational guy and now they can't even get a pressure with all that, 2 linebackers and a couple DB's blitzing. Stafford is one QB if you make him move or uncomfortable, it really benefits the other team. he gets careless easily.

I think it's a little bit like with the Offense and MM trying to protect Hundley, I noticed a lot of bull rushes last night and afairly bunched up defensive front. It was like Capers was trying to protect our secondary by keeping pass rushers in the throwing lanes. Capers really never tried to spread their protection out to create the kinds of blitz gaps that make fire blitz scheme work. Get your OLBs out nice and so that they can A) use their speed and quickness to full advantage and B) create some space for blitzes in between the tackles.

H

HardRightEdge

TOP was 37-23, Lions. Wouldn't think that had them gassed.
You must have turned it off the game before the hurry up possessions. I don't blame you if you did.

By the way, the other half of hurry up is giving the defense less time to call their signals and make adjustments. This is especially problematic if they've not had time to make match up substitutions.

Croquet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOP was 37-23, Lions. Wouldn't think that had them gassed.
And that time of possession was after an 8 minute plus drive to begin the game. After that is was 37 to 15.

Just watched the Mccarthy presser. He just looks lost. He is regressing.

H

HardRightEdge

And that time of possession was after an 8 minute plus drive to begin the game. After that is was 37 to 15.

Just watched the Mccarthy presser. He just looks lost. He is regressing.
There's two kinds of gassed. There's the kind where you're out there all day for 75 snaps and get run down. There's the other kind where the offense is going fast and you're running wind sprints in rapid succession.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of you are down on Gruden, but I bet he'd coach McCarthy under the rug. Just listening to his analysis on the game, and what to do with Hundley showed me how lackluster MM can really be in his playcalling and design. Hell the fact that the guy ran a jet sweep on 4th and 2 with a wr as a lead blocker in Their own territory took the cake. I'm 100% done with this guy. His record is a fraud. Rodgers could've carried Mike Sherman and Ray Rhodes to the same damn record MM and Rodgers have as a coach player tandem.