Studs n duds Lions edition

H

HardRightEdge

It looks like McCarthy needs to put Hundley in no huddle full time and let him wing it. H-Gun!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Studs: All the Packer fans here that try to stay positive. I consider myself a positive guy and always hope the Packers play well and win. But the loss of #12 in my opinion, has help to reveal just how average to bad this team really is. The game tonight reminded me of the 80's Packers. They never looked like they were in the game, just a below average team, hoping to catch a few breaks and win a game against an average team, at home.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud Mike McCarthy. Dude, y ou have to Gove Hundley a chance. Play to win the frick en game and NOT to make it easy on Brett Huntley. I'm seeing WRs running free down field bit we are running a flare screen. 3 yards average pass and most of that is YAC.

I think in the final 10 minutes of the game Hundley would be considered a stud. He did very well in the hurry up, and if the D had held maybe we had a shot? Otherwise overall I can't say I saw any Studs

D

Deleted member 6794

In my opinion the only positive was the run defense holding the Lions to 1.9 yards per carry. Unfortunately that didn't matter as the unit wasn't able to stop their passing offense and isn't that impressive considering Detroit has struggled to run the ball all season long.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't have a problem with it. We had a nice drive to open the game. Got jack squat for it, but it was fine getting a young guy going. He's opened it up as the game has progressed and they aren't hitting. Missed Adams for a big play. On one of the last plays before halftime, he was in the pocket and Cobb was coming open heading to the endZone. Looked right the entire time and held the ball forever and then threw it away. He has to hit on those plays.

But there wasn't much wrong to start the game other than the missed FG. Next drive was bad, but I've seen plenty of 3 and outs with Rodgers too. Anyway, the game plan was opening up for him, but until he shows he can hit them, what does it matter?

McCarthy's game plan was way too conservative having Hundley throw the ball for less than 10 yards on 27 of 35 aimed passes. With the defense not having to respect intermediate to deep passes it's awfully tough to gain yardage on those plays as well as running the ball. In my opinion the coaching staff has to definitely take more risks going forward for the offense to at least possibly put up enough points to win some games over the rest of the season.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is NO qb that you could look at and say "The Packers are a Super Bowl caliber team" with this defense. Last year's excuse was injuries to the secondary. This year they appear worse. For the life of me I cannot see how the same crap happens with a different cast of characters year in and year out. Just mind boggling.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defensive woes come down to 1 thing really last night, pressure. They couldn't generate any. If they only rushed 4 Stafford had all ****ing night to throw. that's a problem in the NFL with the Caliber of athletes all around on offense. and we couldn't come close when we sent everyone either. I don't know what the answer is there.

I know most people will just remember Randall giving up a TD, but I really thought he had a nice game. was good in coverage and in run support. Not only in taking on ball carriers, but some big bodied blockers sent out to demolish him. Had he gotten his head around better or knocked that TD pass away he would have easily gotten a stud from me in that game. But sometimes there is a good throw and catch by the other guys too. I thought Josh Jones was back making some plays again, but showed he needs more experience in the passing game. Burnett had some nice plays. Though nobody is getting a stud from me. If there was some pressure, we might be having different conversations today. The 3 times I think I saw it, there were some errant passes. But for most of the night Stafford looked like he was playing video games back there. Actually the real game looked less stressful for him than that. That's a problem.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is NO qb that you could look at and say "The Packers are a Super Bowl caliber team" with this defense. Last year's excuse was injuries to the secondary. This year they appear worse. For the life of me I cannot see how the same crap happens with a different cast of characters year in and year out. Just mind boggling.

That would be the coaching sir. If you cannot improve in problem areas, even with new players that's a coaching issue. The scheme Capers runs just isn't a good scheme by any means. No matter who they've drafted it hasn't worked which should tell you a lot about MM and his decision to retain Capers.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I knew this team wasn't as good as advertised due to A-Rod, but, honestly, I had no idea it was this bad.

Welcome to the 80's? Wow. These Packers are Bear-level suck.

Studs: Montgomery had a decent game. Josh Jones showed up, but someone needs to tell him that it looks ridiculous when he's dancing after a tackle when your team is getting its butt kicked. Run defense was stout, but in this NFL, who cares about a run defense when your pass defense couldn't stop a baby fart.

Duds: the defense. What a dismal unit this is. I am absolutely positive that offensive coordinators love playing Caper's scheme as it is easy to find gaps and beat it. He is a dinosaur. Other duds are too numerous to list. The whole team, really. Even Gruden sucked last night, and I like him. Turkey hole? Shut up and show the damn fumble next time you Madden-wanna-be!

Ugh. Hopefully, The Packer brass clean house with D.C. And MM.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw that ball come out and all they talked about was that stupid turkey hole. i'm like **** and show a replay? are you even paying attention to the game Gruden? or just like to hear yourself talk?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forget the defense. This stupidity is on MM.

If i drew up the stupidest offensive game plan, this would be it. We are playing to their strength. We are running plays where if they work, we get 2 yards.

Huntley can make the throws. Even in the 2 min drill when they know we are passing, the short passes are open. MM is not playing to win. He is playing to not screw up. Driving me nuts. Give hundley a fricki n chance! What the hell is he Thinking? I can't even imagine a thought process where his game plan is a reasonable idea.
As long as we have McMoron, we will never go to another Super Bowl.
Don't believe me?
Take a look at our win/loss playoff record and then come back and try to convince me that we are going to the SB with McMoron in charge.
The light is green and he keeps his foot on the brake and keeps waiting to see a shade of green he likes and then he will go.

He is stubborn and set in his ways and thinks that his way is the best way to win games and only we can see that it isn't and yet somehow he thinks it is.
We do win games but when it comes to the big ones? Forget it.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I watched yesterday I saw plenty of players on defense who looked good and looked like players out there. Clark and Lowry are both quality DLs, Martinez is good, King looked good, Randall even had a pretty good game again. Burnett was very good and Matthews still looks fast and explosive out there. IMO the problem isn't the talent it's the scheme. It's too complicated too sophisticated and the players struggle to execute it and always have.

As for the pass rush there were some simple ways to generate a rush last night, in particular get Matthews out wide more often and let him aggressively attack the edges. If they use an RB to chip him on the outside then start firing ILB blitzes between the RT and RG. I really didn't see any of this last night.

Offensively my God as soon as Detroit realized that MM wouldn't let Hundley throw more than 5 yards it was game over on that side of the ball and MM obliged them, until late in the second half when Detroit's defense backed off and those intermediate to downfield passes would have been harder to complete. MM isn't an idiot but he's about as close minded as you can be as a Coach in the NFL. Quite frankly it takes him too long to figure things out and make corrections.

Jet sweep on fourth down, that's a gutsy and possible play call... unless you've spent the entire game telling the defense that the flats are the only part of the field that you're willing to throw to and so they start aggressively scheming for that part of the field.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I knew this team wasn't as good as advertised due to A-Rod, but, honestly, I had no idea it was this bad.

Welcome to the 80's? Wow. These Packers are Bear-level suck.

Studs: Montgomery had a decent game. Josh Jones showed up, but someone needs to tell him that it looks ridiculous when he's dancing after a tackle when your team is getting its butt kicked. Run defense was stout, but in this NFL, who cares about a run defense when your pass defense couldn't stop a baby fart.

Duds: the defense. What a dismal unit this is. I am absolutely positive that offensive coordinators love playing Caper's scheme as it is easy to find gaps and beat it. He is a dinosaur. Other duds are too numerous to list. The whole team, really. Even Gruden sucked last night, and I like him. Turkey hole? Shut up and show the damn fumble next time you Madden-wanna-be!

Ugh. Hopefully, The Packer brass clean house with D.C. And MM.
When the team is losing and doing lousy, what else is there to do but to celebrate your own little pad stat victories?

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I watched yesterday I saw plenty of players on defense who looked good and looked like players out there. Clark and Lowry are both quality DLs, Martinez is good, King looked good, Randall even had a pretty good game again. Burnett was very good and Matthews still looks fast and explosive out there. IMO the problem isn't the talent it's the scheme. It's too complicated too sophisticated and the players struggle to execute it and always have.

As for the pass rush there were some simple ways to generate a rush last night, in particular get Matthews out wide more often and let him aggressively attack the edges. If they use an RB to chip him on the outside then start firing ILB blitzes between the RT and RG. I really didn't see any of this last night.

Offensively my God as soon as Detroit realized that MM wouldn't let Hundley throw more than 5 yards it was game over on that side of the ball and MM obliged them, until late in the second half when Detroit's defense backed off and those intermediate to downfield passes would have been harder to complete. MM isn't an idiot but he's about as close minded as you can be as a Coach in the NFL. Quite frankly it takes him too long to figure things out and make corrections.

Jet sweep on fourth down, that's a gutsy and possible play call... unless you've spent the entire game telling the defense that the flats are the only part of the field that you're willing to throw to and so they start aggressively scheming for that part of the field.
Agree with everything except scheme. I love the scheme. It has been very successful in Pittsburgh and other places it has been used. It is exciting, deceptive and confusing for QBs. Unfortunately the only ones confused by it seems to be our secondary. We just don't execute it very well. Game planning is poor and players just don't seem to be clicking in it.

This has been capers history. Do well early then start sucking. My theory is the way he coaches. When it is new, he teaches the basics and the gets more complex in subsequent years. Then, the rookies don't get the same amount of fundamentals and the scheme doesn't function. Capers also has a track record of not developing talent.

Can him now and send a message to the team.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with everything except scheme. I love the scheme. It has been very successful in Pittsburgh and other places it has been used. It is exciting, deceptive and confusing for QBs. Unfortunately the only ones confused by it seems to be our secondary. We just don't execute it very well. Game planning is poor and players just don't seem to be clicking in it.

This has been capers history. Do well early then start sucking. My theory is the way he coaches. When it is new, he teaches the basics and the gets more complex in subsequent years. Then, the rookies don't get the same amount of fundamentals and the scheme doesn't function. Capers also has a track record of not developing talent.

Can him now and send a message to the team.

I like the 34 defense overall but I get the impression that Capers' variation of it is more overly wrought than the model used in Baltimore and Pittsburgh. I'm not suggesting that we go with say Seattle's vanilla 43, far from it. I just want to see a simpler version of the Blitzburgh defense. That dumbed down 2010 iteration was pretty exciting to watch IMO. Keep the 34 but use one with simpler concepts.

H

HardRightEdge

Here a couple of duds that may have already been mentioned.

The coverage was respectable; there were not a lot of plays with a lot of separation surrendered. The problem was lack of pass rush. Stafford was sharp as a tack, spotting the ball in tight openings. Everybody knows Stafford is not very mobile and that his accuracy goes down and his mistakes go up when you move him off his spot, more so than most QBs. In particular, getting little pressure against a 4th. string LT is a sin.

Capers is going to have to roll the dice with more man coverage and blitz which he used more late in the game trying to force a turnover. Too little, too late, and nobody accounting for Rid**** on that blitz release for 60+ yards was downright miserable.

The Daniels unnecessary roughness penalty in Detroit's first possession was big. It was a TD instead of a punt, putting the Packers in an early hole. This is not a QB and an offense that's going to be able to come from behind. Missing the FG then giving up this score was 6 - 10 points worth of mistakes early this team is not going to overcome.

These mistakes compound. If it's 13-6 instead of 17-3, McCarthy doesn't go for it on 4th. and 2 at midfield early in the second half. The field position surrendered amounted to a turnover. Detroit fumbled it right back but that is no consolation.

Last edited by a moderator:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Wish MM had the balls to come out after the game and say how it really is.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defensive woes come down to 1 thing really last night, pressure. They couldn't generate any. If they only rushed 4 Stafford had all ******* night to throw. that's a problem in the NFL with the Caliber of athletes all around on offense. and we couldn't come close when we sent everyone either. I don't know what the answer is there.

I know most people will just remember Randall giving up a TD, but I really thought he had a nice game. was good in coverage and in run support. Not only in taking on ball carriers, but some big bodied blockers sent out to demolish him. Had he gotten his head around better or knocked that TD pass away he would have easily gotten a stud from me in that game. But sometimes there is a good throw and catch by the other guys too. I thought Josh Jones was back making some plays again, but showed he needs more experience in the passing game. Burnett had some nice plays. Though nobody is getting a stud from me. If there was some pressure, we might be having different conversations today. The 3 times I think I saw it, there were some errant passes. But for most of the night Stafford looked like he was playing video games back there. Actually the real game looked less stressful for him than that. That's a problem.

I totally agree on the lack of pressure. I kept waiting for something to happen. Supposedly the Lions OL was not very good. You couldn't tell that from the way the DL and pass rushers played. Stafford had all day.

I usually stay off the forum when we lose a game...too much negativity, but dang I have a hard time finding anything positive about that game.

I tried watching players not plays and that didn't work. Hard to work up any enthusiasm for watching games moving forward....Even Aaron didn't look too into it on the sidelines.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The defensive woes come down to 1 thing really last night, pressure. They couldn't generate any. If they only rushed 4 Stafford had all ******* night to throw. that's a problem in the NFL with the Caliber of athletes all around on offense. and we couldn't come close when we sent everyone either. I don't know what the answer is there.

The encouraging thing for me early on in the season was some of the pressure that we were able to get. I remember saying that the only way this defense could hold up and be respectable is if we are able to consistently generate pressure, which would aid in the back end holding up.

Right now, to your point, the lack of pressure is a killer.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They had it, where did it go? This defense confuses the crap out of me. Matthews has his injury history, but this year, he's been pretty good in the energy and putting pressure on, even though the sacks aren't there. Perry looked better than average wtih a club. Daniels and Clark provided push. Lowery is a solid rotational guy and now they can't even get a pressure with all that, 2 linebackers and a couple DB's blitzing. Stafford is one QB if you make him move or uncomfortable, it really benefits the other team. he gets careless easily.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think in the final 10 minutes of the game Hundley would be considered a stud. He did very well in the hurry up, and if the D had held maybe we had a shot? Otherwise overall I can't say I saw any Studs

Any chance that had to do with the Lions knowing they had the game won and being willing to give a little?

Members online

Latest posts