Preseason 2 Washington Redskins Studs/Duds

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw only part of the game on a vey small screen. Rewatching today and will revise.

But things I noticed:

Studs
Janis had his best showing as a WR.
Hawkins and King both had some nice plays.
Aaron Jones looked good considering the blocking he had to work with.
Aaron Rodgers -picking up where he left off.
Kenny Clark. Saw him absolutely manhandle the OL
Bennett. His TD looked too easy.

Duds
Run blocking. Did not see a single hole.

Spriggs in particular

Special teams - did not help us.

The Redskins. They looked awful, even their #1 offense and did not give us a good test. They are in for a long season.

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geronimo Allison impressed me. right place and right time.

Hundley did OK to move his market price up a bit. And that 23yd TD from Hill was just sublime :tup:

And Rodgers is like Agent J. "He makes this look good". Sharp in throws and run. Mobile. I expect us to hit the ground running from Game 1.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Like AM, I didn't see the whole game. But watched the first few series on both sides.

Preliminary thoughts:

Rodgers appears to be in midseason form. Didn't make a single bad throw. 6-8 passing, one was a Bennett drop, one was a throw away due to pressure from the left.

Devante's footwork looks even better this year.

Bennett is going to be a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses. That 3 yard TD is most certainly a sign of things to come. Rodgers might break 50 TDs this year.

Can't remember how many plays, but Bennett and Kendricks were on the field quite a bit together on that first drive in multiple formation looks. And there was a double TE look, along with looks that had Bennett on the outside and Kendricks in traditional TE spot. Contrary to what many have tried spewing, these two will be on the field together often.

Defense looked better. I loved the activity level. HHCD wreaking havoc. D-line getting more push. Corners holding up better, but there was more plays than one where we got bailed out by bad throws from Cousins. Still have quite a ways to go before we can expect this unit to be average to above average. I though King made some good plays.

I liked the way Jones ran the rock. Unlike Williams, he tried making moves to gain more yardage after first contact. Will need to see more from Williams.

I don't trust Trevor Davis in punt returns. Just didn't look comfortable out there. Maybe that can be rectified.

Janis fooling everyone again.

Big picture take away, this offense is going to be an absolute well oiled machine, just need one big time runner to emerge from the rookies, and the defense has potential if all the pieces can be put together.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't get to see much of the game, but I caught Rodger's TD to Bennett and...I think it was Jones' TD from Hundley.

I saw a couple of plays with Spriggs in there and he really looked bad. Callahan didn't have a chance. I don't know if Spriggs played with Hundley or not but his missed protections when he was playing were terrible. I couldn't tell if he was over-matched or if it was his footwork or what. But we were to pick an 'Ugly' Spriggs would be it.

Janis showed up again with the pass he caught from Hundley and made a nice block on that play...I think it was to Allison to help him get some great yardage.

Williams didn't look too good from what I saw and some of Vogel's punts didn't have much hang time. But A. Jones had a couple of nice runs. Speaking of Jones, did J. Jones play? I never saw him out there.

I'm looking forward to watching the replay to see what I missed.

I'd be interested in your comments.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Studs:

Josh Hawkins
Aaron Jones
JJ
Hundley
Run stop

Duds:

Geronimo Allison
Run Block
Jamal Williams

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Didn't get to see much of the game, but I caught Rodger's TD to Bennett and...I think it was Jones' TD from Hundley.

I saw a couple of plays with Spriggs in there and he really looked bad. Callahan didn't have a chance. I don't know if Spriggs played with Hundley or not but his missed protections when he was playing were terrible. I couldn't tell if he was over-matched or if it was his footwork or what. But we were to pick an 'Ugly' Spriggs would be it.

Janis showed up again with the pass he caught from Hundley and made a nice block on that play...I think it was to Allison to help him get some great yardage.

Williams didn't look too good from what I saw and some of Vogel's punts didn't have much hang time. But A. Jones had a couple of nice runs. Speaking of Jones, did J. Jones play? I never saw him out there.

I'm looking forward to watching the replay to see what I missed.

I'd be interested in your comments.

Josh Jones didnt play.

H

HardRightEdge

Aside from the run blocking and Bennett's drop on the first play of the game, the first team offense looked pretty sharp in that ball control drive. Everything but the kitchen sink (or a RB screen) was featured in the short passing game, along with the Rodgers patented 12-man-quick-snap. I don't think we've seen a jump ball to a TE since Finley, so that's an added dimension.

Williams may need a fraction more patience for a hole to develop in the zone blocking scheme. Or maybe not; I need to see more, because it didn't look like the O-Line was getting any push for him. He certainly runs hard inside the tackles and gets push-and-fall-forward yards on contact. On one run he made a nice cutback right to an opening hole which you could see on the end zone replay but ran smack into an unblocked ILB waiting for him.

On defense, the Packers are running almost exclusively a gapping front now, which plays to Clark's strength. He looks quick and strong. On one pass rush he ran a little stunt inside with a little swim move that showed off his quickness. I was skeptical about this pick when he was getting pushed off the ball and knocked on his butt this time last year. He's making the second year jump.

I like the speed and aggression out of the whole DB crew. The early tackling issues last week seemed to have been cleaned up. Man corner is a lot like OL play in that if you don't hear a guy's name called he's probably having a good game. I think King gave up only a short out which is promising. I don't think there's any question he'll be starting week 1. Hawkins' game was not quite as clean as last week, but he's out there grinding toward the starting job. Brice continues to make a case for 3-safety dime. The one thing I've been keeping an eye on is the separation they give up. We've got guys at the ball, nobody running free, no blown assignments, no 3rd. and long receivers uncovered, all the nagging problems of last season. Now, the Redskin receiving weaponry on the field last night was not impressive, so Denver may be a better test. I hate to say it, but when Randall and Rollins are not on the field there looks to be addition by subtraction. Two more weeks for guys to make their case.

The one thing I don't like out of the starting crew is the continuing poor chemistry between Ryan and Martinez. There seems to be more competition and cooperation between them. They can't get through a game without knocking into each other at the ball carrier a couple of times. I'd leave it to the coaches to decide who's gumming up the works, but it seems to me Martinez has a habit of angling in and knocking into his mate.

The second team O-Line is dreadful. There's a lot of focus on Spriggs' feet-in-cement play given his draft status and position, but they all look pretty bad with poor chemistry. McCarren seemed to suggest Spriggs is not working all that hard to improve his game. I don't know if he inferred that from his play, or brings practice observations to that opinion, but it's clear at this point he's at the same point where he started a year ago.

Hill continues to impress....arm, legs, poise. He's an aggressive guy but that led to a couple of risky tosses (and runs risky to his health) in limited play. He needs to develop a little more control. The pass blocking didn't help matters. There's a place for him in this game especially given the sorry state of 3rd. string QBs. From what we've seen so far, I give him the edge over Callahan.

Davis...what can we say. It was a fumbled punt that sent him to the bench last year. I don't know if anybody noticed, but he was being used as a gunner last night. That indicates they were looking for some value-add as a special teamer to reinforce his case. He didn't look good doing it...speed, yes; physicality, no. Frankly, McCaffrey looks more natural fielding the ball and the way he came up to field that short kick through traffic shows the necessary fearlessness. Davis squats and body catches as though he is focusing on not fumbling, then fumbled anyway with a guy coming up in his face. You just don't get many chances in this league of a 5 yard free run before coverage converges to make up for skittishness in close quarters. He needs to step it up the next 2 weeks; McCaffrey now has the edge especially given he's showing more as a receiver.

Last edited by a moderator:

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside from the run blocking and Bennett's drop on the first play of the game, the first team offense looked pretty sharp in that ball control drive. Everything but the kitchen sink (or a RB screen) was featured in the short passing game, along with the Rodgers patented 12-man-quick-snap. I don't think we've seen a jump ball to a TE since Finley, so that's an added dimension.

Williams may need a fraction more patience for a hole to develop in the zone blocking scheme. Or maybe not; I need to see more, because it didn't look like the O-Line was getting any push for him. He certainly runs hard inside the tackles and gets push-and-fall-forward yards on contact. On one run he made a nice cutback right to an opening hole which you could see on the end zone replay but ran smack into an unblocked ILB waiting for him.

On defense, the Packers are running almost exclusively a gapping front now, which plays to Clark's strength. He looks quick and strong. On one pass rush he ran a little stunt inside with a little swim move that showed off his quickness. I was skeptical about this pick when he was getting pushed off the ball and knocked on his butt this time last year. He's making the second year jump.

I like the speed and aggression out of the whole DB crew. The early tackling issues last week seemed to have been cleaned up. Man corner is a lot like OL play in that if you don't hear a guy's name called he's probably having a good game. I think King gave up only a short out which is promising. I don't think there's any question he'll be starting week 1. Hawkins' game was not quite as clean as last week, but he's out there grinding toward the starting job. Brice continues to make a case for 3-safety dime. The one thing I've been keeping an eye on is the separation they give up. We've got guys at the ball, nobody running free, no blown assignments, no 3rd. and long receivers uncovered, all the nagging problems of last season. Now, the Redskin receiving weaponry on the field last night was not impressive, so Denver may be a better test. I hate to say it, but when Randall and Rollins are not on the field there looks to be addition by subtraction. Two more weeks for guys to make their case.

The one thing I don't like out of the starting crew is the continuing poor chemistry between Ryan and Martinez. There seems to be more competition and cooperation between them. They can't get through a game without knocking into each other at the ball carrier a couple of times. I'd leave it to the coaches to decide who's gumming up the works, but it seems to me Martinez has a habit of angling in and knocking into his mate.

The second team O-Line is dreadful. There's a lot of focus on Spriggs' feet-in-cement play given his draft status and position, but they all look pretty bad with poor chemistry. McCarren seemed to suggest Spriggs is not working all that hard to improve his game. I don't know if he inferred that from his play, or brings practice observations to that opinion, but it's clear at this point he's at the same point where he started a year ago.

Hill continues to impress....arm, legs, poise. He's an aggressive guy but that led to a couple of risky tosses (and runs risky to his health) in limited play. He needs to develop a little more control. The pass blocking didn't help matters. There's a place for him in this game especially given the sorry state of 3rd. string QBs. From what we've seen so far, I give him the edge over Callahan.

Davis...what can we say. It was a fumbled punt that sent him to the bench last year. I don't know if anybody noticed, but he was being used as a gunner last night. That indicates they were looking for some value-add as a special teamer to reinforce his case. He didn't look good doing it...speed, yes; physicality, no. Frankly, McCaffrey looks more natural fielding the ball and the way he came up to field that short kick through traffic shows the necessary fearlessness. Davis squats and body catches as though he is focusing on not fumbling, then fumbled anyway with a guy coming up in his face. You just don't get many chances in this league of a 5 yard free run before coverage converges to make up for skittishness in close quarters. He needs to step it up the next 2 weeks; McCaffrey now has the edge especially given he's showing more as a receiver.
I would also place Hill over Callahan and I have been a strong supporter of Callahan.
I'm also putting McCaffrey ahead of Davis.
Spriggs looks absolutely terrible.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Duds:
  1. The Don Barclay turnstile torch has officially been passed to Jason Spriggs. I'm starting to wonder if those 2 have been training together exclusively. While I was rarely happy with Barclay, at least he was a free agent that provided some rotational depth. Spriggs on the other hand so far is looking like a guy the Packers completely wasted 3 picks on. OL depth has to be a concern. Losing Sitton, Lang and Tretter in less than a year is showing.
  2. Running Game: Once again, the Packers QB outgained the RB's and that was during garbage time. The run blocking looks non-existent so evaluating the 4 rookie running backs is difficult, but Jones was about the only one who could manage to do anything and that was on second effort.
  3. Joe Callahan: Looked lost but might have been lack of OL blocking. Hill looked more poised.
  4. ILB pass coverage: Too many easy dump offs to the RB's for Cousins.
  5. Concussions: 3 more possible ones. Edit: Tripp has one, Gunter doesn't, Derrick Matthews still being evaluated.
  6. Lowry's knee injury.
Studs:
  1. Tackling: Something that was pathetic in game 1, looked much better in game 2.
  2. First team offense: Even with no run game, AR is the cool cucumber who gets it done.
  3. McCaffrey: I think this guy just moved past Davis on the WR and ST's depth chart. I don't see the Packers cutting him.
  4. DB's aggressiveness: Looked like they all were swarming to the ball nicely.
  5. Hundley and Hill: Brett looked much better and Hill may have just made his case to move ahead of Callahan.
I would like to put Janis on the Stud list, but we have seen him play well at WR in previous preseasons and then not much out of him during the regular season. Ultimately his value to the Packers is on special teams. His kick returning ability so far isn't good. Didn't see him do anything special in the coverage game. Right now, I put McCaffrey ahead of Janis as well.

Last edited:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawkins might end up one of our starting corners. Gunter played well also.

Last year I said Hawkins was better than Gunter and Rollins. He can run and he's an athlete. He's still raw but he's probably our fastest corner and has another yr in Capers system. My suggestion would be to let Hawkins get more work with the 1st team .

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What did you not like? I was very impressed with his run after catch skills.

Agreed, we need more of that from our WR's. He looked determined, as well as skillful, to do something with the ball after a catch.

My WR depth chart is currently looking like this:
  1. Jordy
  2. Cobb
  3. Adams
  4. Allison
  5. McCaffrey
  6. Janis (gulp)
  7. Davis
  8. Yancey
  9. Clark
  10. Dupre
  11. Crockett
  12. Pearson
If the Packers only keep 6 WR's, barring injuries, Janis and Davis may be fighting for that 6th spot and the winner will be the guy who proves himself on special teams. McCaffrey may have just moved past Davis on punt returns. Nice return last week for Davis, but he basically erased that plus mark with his play yesterday. McCaffrey didn't do anything special on returns, but he looked confident and decisive on his decisions and fielding the ball.

This will probably all change next week when Clark and Dupre make circus like catches and another WR lets a few bounce of their face mask. :coffee: Consistent route running, good hands and some value on special teams could decide those last few spots at WR.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My WR depth chart is currently looking like this:
  1. Jordy
  2. Cobb
  3. Adams
  4. Allison
  5. McCaffrey
  6. Janis (gulp)
  7. Davis
  8. Yancey
  9. Clark
  10. Dupre
  11. Crockett
  12. Pearson
Your list is spot on. Yancey, Clark, and Dupree all for the practice squad.

Dupree has the best chance of jumping up on the lost. Thought he looked very promising till the injury.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Your list is spot on. Yancey, Clark, and Dupree all for the practice squad.

Dupree has the best chance of jumping up on the lost. Thought he looked very promising till the injury.

I think you are right on Dupre (except for your spelling ;)), if he gets healthy, he could be the guy who has too much potential and talent to try and keep on the PS and might be that 7th WR or even unseat Janis's 3 year run of being on the 53. I hope his injury doesn't prevent him from showing us what he has, but it might be the secret to keeping him stashed away until next year.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Does Janis return punts ?

I don't see any stats for him returning punts, so I would say "no, he hasn't" and I don't even recall seeing him as a punt returner in the preseason, so I am guessing, it isn't a position that the coaches feel he is suited for. Early in his kickoff return days, he did a nice job, but since then, it seems like he can't get the ball out past the 25 and muffed one last week at the goal line.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
Really sucks to be a Packer fan in Alabama. Only way I could watch the game was on a sports betting site online. Studs was of course Aaron Rogers. It does look like he was just picking up where he left it last year during "the run". Martellus Bennett was looking good to me, even though I sort of hate rooting for an ex Dallas and Bears player. It might be good to have a nice tall TE in goal line situations. Callahan certainly looked less than stellar to me. Two incompletes and a sack in his first 3 pass attempts? Another sack and a fumble in his next attempt? His only completion was for zero yards? Tell me again why we picked this guy up.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defensive front sucks hard. They can't get any pressure and when they do get somewhat of pressure. They miss sacks.

The OL is going to get Rodgers hurt. At least before they could pass block and couldn't run block. Now they can't do either

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Martellus Bennett was looking good to me, even though I sort of hate rooting for an ex Dallas and Bears player.
Don't forget he is an ex Patriot as well ;) These facts actually make me root even harder for a player......something a little extra to rub into the salt of the wounds of those other teams. "Oh, so your TE play is sucking this year? Well thanks for letting Marty go, he is awesome!"

Tell me again why we picked this guy up.

Cause the Saints and Browns didn't want him.....won't be much salt wound rubbing when it comes to Callahan, just yet anyway. ;)

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defensive front sucks hard. They can't get any pressure and when they do get somewhat of pressure. They miss sacks.

The OL is going to get Rodgers hurt. At least before they could pass block and couldn't run block. Now they can't do either

A team doesn't do as poorly offensively as the Redskins did against a defense front that "sucks hard." Their first team offense was shut down by our first team defense.

Also, I think you have the backup o line confused for the starters. Rodgers had plenty of time.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think our starting OL should be fine, but either the guys behind them have to get better or TT better be keeping a close eye on the waiver wires for some help. I said it in a previous post, but the loss of Sitton, Lange and Tretter in 9 months time, might come back to bite us in the **** if injuries start taking their toll.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What? why?

Think he does though not recently.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

LOL.....did you happen to watch the video of a "punt"? :whistling: Here I thought Janis was only confused about route running.

Members online

Latest posts