My Only Mock

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only mock draft I will do. Post Combine, post Free Agency. No simulator used, just the CBS and Draft Network Big Boards as a guide. Tried to keep things realistic in terms of player availability at a certain spot, although that gets hard in later rounds.

Operating under the following personal prejudices and guidelines (all just my opinion):

• No trades. As much as I want Gute to trade down at least once, trades are too unpredictable and are off the table.

• Strengths of the draft: Abundance of elite talent on defensive line and pass rusher. Excellent depth at TE and WR. Below average talent and depth at CB and Safety.

• Packers biggest needs in order: OL, DL, Safety, TE, WR. I know most people don’t have DL this high, but Mike Daniels seems to be fading a bit. Mo Wilkerson is not a sure thing. Lowry is above average. Clark is the only stud. The packers need help here.

1A: Christian Wilkins. DT Clemson. 6’4” 305. This would feel better with a trade down to the mid teens, but I am not allowing myself to speculate in that direction. It is hard to evaluate the Clemson D-Line, but Wilkins is the real deal. He is not just a great D-lineman, but he is a plus athlete for the position, a durable player, with excellent character, intelligence, work ethic, and leadership. Most importantly, he is great at interior pass rush, something Pettine really values. Barring major injury, he will start immediately and will be a defensive leader for 8-10 years.

1B: Dalton Risner. OL Kansas State. 6’5” 315. The packers really need to rebuild the offensive line. Risner is tough, athletic, durable, and versatile. He can play any position on the line, and will probably start out at OG, but eventually would settle in as Brian Bulaga’s long-term replacement at RT.

2: Juan Thornhill. Safety Virginia. 6’1” 200. I really want to go WR or TE here, but the depth at those positions is SO much better than at Safety, I will wait for a bit later. Thornhill has good tape from Virginia, showing decent range, intelligence, and ball skills. He really rocked the combine tests, and may be able to step into the starting lineup immediately, allowing Tramon to go back to corner where he belongs.

3: Miles Sanders. RB Penn State. 5’11” 215. Aaron Jones is the #1 but can he stay healthy? Jamal Williams may not be a great scheme fit. Sanders has good size and speed. Runs with power and elusiveness. Decent receiver out of the backfield.

4A: Mecole Hardman. WR Georgia 5’11”” 185. A true slot receiver to replace Randall Cobb. He’s got tons of speed, twitch, and YAC ability. Route running not superlative but good enough. Can return punts. College stats won’t jump out at you but might be a better pro. McLaurin and Isabella also good options, but will probably be gone in the 3rd..

4B: Kahale Warring. TE SD State. 6’5” 255. A fast riser on draft boards. Only played one year of HS football but already has a knack for route running and has good film for scouts. Like Thornhill, he rocked the combine and went from a late round to a mid round pick. He might even go as early as the 3rd round, but I am hopeful he will last until the 4th with the excellent depth at TE this year. He is a bit of a project, but the packers have some depth ahead of him and can bring him along slowly.

5: Ben Banogu. Edge TCU. 6’5” 245. Depth at OLB. Pure speed rusher.

6A: Carl Granderson. Edge Wyoming. 6’5” 245. Depth at OLB. Worth a shot. Sets a decent edge and has twitch but needs to learn how to pass rush. Has experience dropping into coverage. Pretty athletic.

6B: John Cominsky. DE Charleston. 6’5” 290. Okay. this guy is probably not going to make it to the 6th round, I admit it. But I think I would take him a round earlier if I had to. The secret is definitely out on this small-college dude who was recruited out of HS as an option quarterback. He ran a 4.69 40 at the combine and did pretty well in the agility drills.

7: Austin Seibert. Kicker Oklahoma. 5’9” 185. Cheaper than Crosby. Whatever.

There ya go - Beef in the first round. A few mid-round weapons. Depth and projects at the end. Did not get a LB. That is a problem.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Great job, man!

1) While Wilkins isn't a first choice of mine, I love the emphasis on the trenches to start things out.

2) At safety, I wonder if you're familiar with Chauncey Gardner-Johnson? I think he and Thornhill can play a similar, versatile role in a defense. While Thornhill worked out better, I think CGJ is the better prospect. He could have been gone for you.

3) I think Miles Sanders at #75 is a little on the optimistic side, just because this RB class is weak and he's a legit talent. Teams that need more RB help immediately will overdraft them.

4) Picks in the 4th and 5th are great, imo. I love Hardman as a developmental playmaker-- poor man's Parris Campbell. He's a great punt returner, which is quietly a huge need. Kahale Warring and Dawson Knox are my preferred developmental TE's. Guys like Ben Banogu, Maxx Crosby, and Justin Hollins are mid-late edge guys that interest me.

This is one of my favorite mocks I've seen on the forum just in terms of realism and plan.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I too like this mock a lot, I like Wilkins if none of the top OL guys are there (Taylor/Williams/Ford) and Oliver, Sweat and White are off the board.

The 2nd seems a little fast for Thornhill, but if Adderley/Thompson/Gardner-Johnson/Abram and even Savage are off the board he would be my preferred choice.

Personally i'm more of a fan of Henderson than Sanders, and I think he will still available in the 3rd.

Hardman in the 4th would be a great pick up. Same goes for Banogu in the 5th.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1A: Christian Wilkins. DT Clemson. 6’4” 305. This would feel better with a trade down to the mid teens, but I am not allowing myself to speculate in that direction. It is hard to evaluate the Clemson D-Line, but Wilkins is the real deal. He is not just a great D-lineman, but he is a plus athlete for the position, a durable player, with excellent character, intelligence, work ethic, and leadership. Most importantly, he is great at interior pass rush, something Pettine really values. Barring major injury, he will start immediately and will be a defensive leader for 8-10 years.

1B: Dalton Risner. OL Kansas State. 6’5” 315. The packers really need to rebuild the offensive line. Risner is tough, athletic, durable, and versatile. He can play any position on the line, and will probably start out at OG, but eventually would settle in as Brian Bulaga’s long-term replacement at RT.

2: Juan Thornhill. Safety Virginia. 6’1” 200. I really want to go WR or TE here, but the depth at those positions is SO much better than at Safety, I will wait for a bit later. Thornhill has good tape from Virginia, showing decent range, intelligence, and ball skills. He really rocked the combine tests, and may be able to step into the starting lineup immediately, allowing Tramon to go back to corner where he belongs.

3: Miles Sanders. RB Penn State. 5’11” 215. Aaron Jones is the #1 but can he stay healthy? Jamal Williams may not be a great scheme fit. Sanders has good size and speed. Runs with power and elusiveness. Decent receiver out of the backfield.

4A: Mecole Hardman. WR Georgia 5’11”” 185. A true slot receiver to replace Randall Cobb. He’s got tons of speed, twitch, and YAC ability. Route running not superlative but good enough. Can return punts. College stats won’t jump out at you but might be a better pro. McLaurin and Isabella also good options, but will probably be gone in the 3rd..

4B: Kahale Warring. TE SD State. 6’5” 255. A fast riser on draft boards. Only played one year of HS football but already has a knack for route running and has good film for scouts. Like Thornhill, he rocked the combine and went from a late round to a mid round pick. He might even go as early as the 3rd round, but I am hopeful he will last until the 4th with the excellent depth at TE this year. He is a bit of a project, but the packers have some depth ahead of him and can bring him along slowly.

5: Ben Banogu. Edge TCU. 6’5” 245. Depth at OLB. Pure speed rusher.

6A: Carl Granderson. Edge Wyoming. 6’5” 245. Depth at OLB. Worth a shot. Sets a decent edge and has twitch but needs to learn how to pass rush. Has experience dropping into coverage. Pretty athletic.

6B: John Cominsky. DE Charleston. 6’5” 290. Okay. this guy is probably not going to make it to the 6th round, I admit it. But I think I would take him a round earlier if I had to. The secret is definitely out on this small-college dude who was recruited out of HS as an option quarterback. He ran a 4.69 40 at the combine and did pretty well in the agility drills.

7: Austin Seibert. Kicker Oklahoma. 5’9” 185. Cheaper than Crosby. Whatever.

There ya go - Beef in the first round. A few mid-round weapons. Depth and projects at the end. Did not get a LB. That is a problem.

That's a pretty decent draft if the Packers could trade the #12 down a few and still get Wilkins. I have no problem with Risner, he'd be a fine pick but I wouldn't mind seeing the Packers go for Noah Fant with the #30 if he's there. Because of Hockenson I think Fant is being undersold. Yes I know, he's not a great blocker but he could easily become a better version of Jermichael Finley.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well done. I prefer a few different players, but like the ones you did take. Thornhill is perhaps the best athlete in this draft and that seems to be important to Gute.

Members online

Latest posts