Preseason 2 Washington Redskins Studs/Duds

Reaction score
While that´s true I believe there´s at least the possibility of Hundley being able to keep the Packers in contention with Rodgers missing some games. I definitely don´t feel the same way about Callahan or Hill.
Again, well yeah. They're both competing for a PS spot. You don't pay a guy JUST to run the practice offense, though, even if the amount is literally insignificant. Any smart organization uses that spot as a developmental position, so definitionally the team thinks that Callahan for sure (as he was there last year as well as on the 53) and Hill possibly are capable of running our team at at least replacement level.

D

Deleted member 6794

Again, well yeah. They're both competing for a PS spot. You don't pay a guy JUST to run the practice offense, though, even if the amount is literally insignificant. Any smart organization uses that spot as a developmental position, so definitionally the team thinks that Callahan for sure (as he was there last year as well as on the 53) and Hill possibly are capable of running our team at at least replacement level.

I was being sarcastic about the Packers keeping Callahan or Hill solely to run the scout team but would expect the Packers to bring in a veteran quarterback to start if Rodgers and Hundley go down instead of handing the job to one of the QBs currently competing for the third spot on the depth chart.

Reaction score
Kinda depends on how he would do. Hill that is.
From what I've seen, Hill is an elite sandbox football player, which usually translates to a terrible NFL quarterback. Highly athletic, poor transitional vision, able to make some magic happen now and again. Would get eaten alive by #1 team Ds.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would take Brett Hundley over a journeyman Vet starting for the Packers at QB if #12 went down
Hundley hasn't looked very good to me, even playing WITH the starters.
I think we will be sucking hind **** if we are expecting to get more than a fifth for him in a trade.
To be fair, with Bulaga out last night, even Rodgers didn't have much of a prayer behind that O-line.
I'm glad MM pulled Rodgers quickly when it was obvious he wasn't going to get much protection from the right tackle spot.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Rodgers didn't have much of a prayer behind that O-line.
I'm glad MM pulled Rodgers quickly when it was obvious he wasn't going to get much protection from the right tackle spot.

Right now that is my biggest concern 3 quarters of the way through the preseason, the OL depth. What are the Vegas Odds of all 5 starters making it through 16+ games? The Packers have 2 weeks to figure out what they are going to do and I hope it is more than just waiting for Don Barclay to get healthy.

D

Deleted member 6794

Hundley hasn't looked very good to me, even playing WITH the starters.
I think we will be sucking hind **** if we are expecting to get more than a fifth for him in a trade.

In my opinion Hundley has looked pretty good during preseason games over his tenure with the Packers but a lot of fans fail to realize that until he proves capable of performing at a high level in the regular season there´s no way another team gives up an early draft pick for him.

Right now that is my biggest concern 3 quarters of the way through the preseason, the OL depth.

There´s definitely reason to be concerned about the depth at outside linebacker as well, especially with Perry suffering an ankle injury on Saturday. It seems Thompson might make a move there bringing in Brooks for a visit though.

Reaction score
In my opinion Hundley has looked pretty good during preseason games over his tenure with the Packers but a lot of fans fail to realize that until he proves capable of performing at a high level in the regular season there´s no way another team gives up an early draft pick for him.
While I thoroughly agree that as things stand right now we will not get any real value for him in trade, all it takes is a few blown knees before Hundley goes from not trade worthy to demanding a 3rd round pick. Still, the most likely scenario by far at this stage is that we keep him on his last year and then get a comp pick for 2019 when he is signed elsewhere this next offseason.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While I thoroughly agree that as things stand right now we will not get any real value for him in trade, all it takes is a few blown knees before Hundley goes from not trade worthy to demanding a 3rd round pick. Still, the most likely scenario by far at this stage is that we keep him on his last year and then get a comp pick for 2019 when he is signed elsewhere this next offseason.

I think at this time of year, if you see a starting QB go down with a significant injury, his team will react in one of 2 ways. If they feel they have a legit shot at winning in 2017 and they don't have a decent #2 QB, they probably go after a Veteran QB with some quality starting time under his belt. If it's a team like Cleveland or the Bears, they promote within and develop their own. Like Captain just said and I have felt since Hundley trade talks began, until he can put some actual game snaps on his highlight reel, his value won't go up much. Right now Hundley;s highest value to all 32 teams, is probably to the Packers, as their #2 QB.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holy guacamole.

On what planet, other than the one you and your buddy Sky King live on, did it not take 3 picks to acquire Spriggs? I'm not arguing whether or not it was a good decision, I'm saying that it's indisputable how many picks the Packers used to get him.

Now I know why Pokerbrat bowed out. Too damn tiring dealing with nonsense.
Mondio and Sky King really are not arguing the same point.... I can understand where Mondio is coming from.... He is not arguing the straight math... just the impact. He is arguing that different picks have different values and is not making a 0 sum argument. The argument between Pokerbrat and Sky King is also a bit misleading because they are arguing different points. Yes technically Spriggs represents 3 picks ... (his actual draft position plus the 2 traded away picks). However ... one must also realize that the Packers ended up with 7 picks out of the 9 they started with and Spriggs is one of those. So the result is that each player drafted has a value of about 14% of the Packers draft. If the Trade had not happened and all 9 picks had been drafted.. each pick would represent about 11% of the Packers draft... Whether you choose to frame it saying that Spriggs is 3 picks... or that the Packers gave up 2 picks to get him is really a matter of semantics.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Mondio and Sky King really are not arguing the same point.... I can understand where Mondio is coming from.... He is not arguing the straight math... just the impact. He is arguing that different picks have different values and is not making a 0 sum argument. The argument between Pokerbrat and Sky King is also a bit misleading because they are arguing different points. Yes technically Spriggs represents 3 picks ... (his actual draft position plus the 2 traded away picks). However ... one must also realize that the Packers ended up with 7 picks out of the 9 they started with and Spriggs is one of those. So the result is that each player drafted has a value of about 14% of the Packers draft. If the Trade had not happened and all 9 picks had been drafted.. each pick would represent about 11% of the Packers draft... Whether you choose to frame it saying that Spriggs is 3 picks... or that the Packers gave up 2 picks to get him is really a matter of semantics.

Hey now, don't come in here and mess up our fun with semantics! :laugh:

If 3 draft picks were sailing South on a 100 foot vessel weighing 12 tons and 1 draft pick was flying overhead in a twin engine airplane traveling East at 445 mph.......what is the name of the Packers General Manager?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey now, don't come in here and mess up our fun with semantics! :laugh:

If 3 draft picks were sailing South on a 100 foot vessel weighing 12 tons and 1 draft pick was flying overhead in a twin engine airplane traveling East at 445 mph.......what is the name of the Packers General Manager?
That depends... can he trade those 3 picks on the ship for one on an F18 flying straight up at Mach 2?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Members online

Latest posts