Preseason 2 Washington Redskins Studs/Duds

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
By NFL standards, the 5 guys of note, two starters and maybe a third along with a couple of guys who should get some decent snaps in rotation and match-ups, kinda gets him on par with the league.

But you still have to look at the long term average...this year's "binge" could be a one-off. I think the pressure has been building to do better in the playoffs and he wanted to cover bases with vets. If the Packers were to win the Super Bowl :eek:, or at least get to the game, the pressure would ease he can get back to the "always becoming, never being" business as usual.
Really? Five FA signings would be about average for a NFL team? I didn't realize the average number was that high. I would of guessed around 3 to be the average.

Reaction score
Really? Five FA signings would be about average for a NFL team? I didn't realize the average number was that high. I would of guessed around 3 to be the average.
lol, that's funny because I would have guessed an average of 7, easy - not to make the 53 roster, just the total number of guys a team would bring in on contract, containing both big-name big-money guys and camp bodies.

just found it humorous that our presumptions were both so wide off the mark and from each other.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The way I figure it is this: With Hill, the offense would be mostly relying upon Hill's athletic ability to make a play. With Callahan, the offense would be mostly relying upon the athletic ability of our WRs to make a play. I prefer Callahan.
I prefer seeing neither of them ever take a snap in a regular season game while we still have AR and Hundley. ;) If it gets to that point, might as well put Cleveland Browns jerseys on or let Randall Cobb play QB, might be entertaining and have the same effect at the end of the game, a loss.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
lol, that's funny because I would have guessed an average of 7, easy - not to make the 53 roster, just the total number of guys a team would bring in on contract, containing both big-name big-money guys and camp bodies.

just found it humorous that our presumptions were both so wide off the mark and from each other.
Looks like about 6-8 FAs per team. Some a lot more and Houston with none. This is from back around the draft.

H

HardRightEdge

I understand Where the explanation seems flawed is the "defacto" claim. To be true TT, his staff and the coaches would be cheering for players to fail. They want them to succeed. All of them. Why wouldn't they? It's purely competitive. May the best player win.
That's right. They want all of them to succeed. They would love to have difficult decisions that force them to cut guys they'd like to keep. But that does not mean they want one particular guy to succeed which seemed to be your disposition. I'd like to think coaches take a dispassionate view of thing. I like to think I do as well.

I see improvement in Janis. I still see a lack of fluidity in his route running or naturalness in his catching. His catch radius still looks like it may be challenged. He may still be thinking his way through things. I'm not sure the coaches will want to wait any longer for the true football player to emerge from the athlete.

D

Deleted member 6794

Im pretty sure that at this time last year that the narrative was that he was still struggling with route running and still made too many mistake while running said routes.

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/...truggling-in-camp-b99555431z1-321698201.html/

There weren´t any promising reports about Janis during training camp last year as he was severely limited by having to wear a cast on his hand. Beat writers and a portion of the fan base were falling in love with him in 2014 and ´15 though.

Well I have not seen much about Hill on the forum. Do we have a player here? Would certainly rather have him than Callahan as I don't see much potential there.

Callahan and Hill most likely aren´t talented enough to ever successfully start in the NFL, therefore there isn´t a lot of talk about the battle for the third spot on the quarterback depth chart with the player winning it possibly ending up on the practice squad.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
allahan and Hill most likely aren´t talented enough to ever successfully start in the NFL, therefore there isn´t a lot of talk about the battle for the third spot on the quarterback depth chart with the player winning it possibly ending up on the practice squad.
If neither one has the talent to be an NFL starter why bother with developing them on the practice squad?

Reaction score
If neither one has the talent to be an NFL starter why bother with developing them on the practice squad?
while I figure that comment was facetious, I'll respond as if it weren't; because "most likely" not enough talent and "definitely" not enough talent are separated by just enough to merit the PS spot. Also, I'd say they both definitely have enough talent; what they both lack is skill, and that's something that can be taught. With that mindset, keeping them on the PS is like figuring out how much teaching it would take.

D

Deleted member 6794

while I figure that comment was facetious, I'll respond as if it weren't; because "most likely" not enough talent and "definitely" not enough talent are separated by just enough to merit the PS spot. Also, I'd say they both definitely have enough talent; what they both lack is skill, and that's something that can be taught. With that mindset, keeping them on the PS is like figuring out how much teaching it would take.

I'm absolutely convinced neither Callahan or Hill will ever start a game for the Packers in the regular season without the team being hit extremely hard by injuries at the position. It's likely neither of them will end up being Rodgers' backup once Hundley is traded or signs with another team.

Last edited by a moderator:

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zeke Bratkowski didn't have the talent to be a starter but he was a fine backup to Bart Starr, earning the nickname "super sub".
Hundley won't be with the Packers much longer, this necessitates the development of another reliable backup.
I would be fine with developing either Callahan or Hill over the next year or two to be that backup.
Hopefully by the time Rodgers is done in Green Bay the Packers will have drafted their next starting QB.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There weren´t any promising reports about Janis during training camp last year as he was severely limited by having to wear a cast on his hand. Beat writers and a portion of the fan base were falling in love with him in 2014 and ´15 though.

Callahan and Hill most likely aren´t talented enough to ever successfully start in the NFL, therefore there isn´t a lot of talk about the battle for the third spot on the quarterback depth chart with the player winning it possibly ending up on the practice squad.

I would still like to see what he can do. Because Callahan most likely is not. And we will most likely have 3 QBs.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would still like to see what he can do. Because Callahan most likely is not. And we will most likely have 3 QBs.

Hill received plenty of playing time vs. Washington and I expect him to get a significant amount of snaps during the remaining preseason games. I don´t believe the Packers will keep three quarterbacks on the 53 this season though.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hill received plenty of playing time vs. Washington and I expect him to get a significant amount of snaps during the remaining preseason games. I don´t believe the Packers will keep three quarterbacks on the 53 this season though.
53 or practice squad ... not much difference for a 3rd string QB. And if he continues to looks very good...I think they keep him.

D

Deleted member 6794

53 or practice squad ... not much difference for a 3rd string QB. And if he continues to looks very good...I think they keep him.

I would definitely prefer the Packers to keep a player at another position with questionable quality depth over a third quarterback on the 53.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm absolutely convinced neither Callahan or Hill will ever start a game for the Packers in the regular season without the team being hit extremely hard by injuries at the position. It's likely neither of them will end up being Rodgers' backup once Hundley is traded or signs with another team.

If the team gets hit that hard by injuries this year (#12 and #7 go down), I would want, but not expect, the Packers to try and find a Vet QB to step in. While that probably still wouldn't save the season, I don't see Hill or Callahan ready to be a starter. You could be right with that prediction on both of them when it comes to beyond this year as well. But at this point you have to roll with Hundley as your #2 and hope one of the other 2 at least become capable backups in the future.

D

Deleted member 6794

But at this point you have to roll with Hundley as your #2 and hope one of the other 2 at least become capable backups in the future.

I´m absolutely fine with Hundley being the backup this season but would prefer the Packers to either draft or sign a veteran quarterback to serve as the #2 QB on the depth behind Rodgers going forward once #7 either gets traded or walks away in free agency.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I´m absolutely fine with Hundley being the backup this season but would prefer the Packers to either draft or sign a veteran quarterback to serve as the #2 QB on the depth behind Rodgers going forward once #7 either gets traded or walks away in free agency.

Agreed. I also don't think Hundley, to this point, has done anything significant to further raise his draft stock. IMO, the Packers would be better off keeping him as their #2 until his contract is up at the end of 2018, if they find a trade partner than, great. Otherwise, let him walk and take the compensatory pick.

D

Deleted member 6794

I also don't think Hundley, to this point, has done anything significant to further raise his draft stock. IMO, the Packers would be better off keeping him as their #2 until his contract is up at the end of 2018, if they find a trade partner than, great. Otherwise, let him walk and take the compensatory pick.

True, I´ve been making the same suggestion all along.

Reaction score
Well sure, we don't even want Hundley starting games for us, but it's nice to have somebody already in place who is a combination of cheap, available, and not totally raw.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well sure, we don't even want Hundley starting games for us, but it's nice to have somebody already in place who is a combination of cheap, available, and not totally raw.

While that´s true I believe there´s at least the possibility of Hundley being able to keep the Packers in contention with Rodgers missing some games. I definitely don´t feel the same way about Callahan or Hill.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would take Brett Hundley over a journeyman Vet starting for the Packers at QB if #12 went down, but if Hundley went down, I would probably rather see that JM Vet come in and start ahead of Callahan or Hill. If Hundley never takes a meaningful snap as a Packer, he will have been worth the pick we used on him and ultimately the pick we receive when he walks.

I have no idea what MM and Co. think of Callahan or Hill's future in GB, but my best guess is they want to find someone to eventually take over Hundley's #2 spot and if they don't see either of them capable of it, I wouldn't be surprised to see another QB added to the PS and if that doesn't happen, a mid round pick used on one next year in preparation of Hundley's eventual departure.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Hundley never takes a meaningful snap as a Packer, he will have been worth the pick we used on him and ultimately the pick we receive when he walks.

Don´t forget that Thompson traded two picks to the Patriots to move up 19 spots in the fifth round to select Hundley. I´m quite sure Mondio and SkyKing will disagree with that take though.

Members online

Latest posts