Studs Duds Brown's edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I'd think we can all agree that Cobb's contract has to be restructured, but what do you guys think of Clay's contract? His play has definitely improved, yet is he worth the cash he is destined to earn next year?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Towards the end of his career Favre was just chucking it up there. He was never known for his accuracy on his long passes and relied heavily on his WRs adjusting the route. Sorry to burst your image, but it is true.

By the end of his career he did become pretty proficient on those touch passes but by his own admission he was always at his best throwing lasers. I wouldnt say he sucked over 20 yards but if there wasnt a line of sight path for his rocket balls he wasn't hitting anything over 20 yards. This is largely mitigated when you can hit guys at 50 yards without the ball getting higher than 20 feet in the air.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I'd think we can all agree that Cobb's contract has to be restructured, but what do you guys think of Clay's contract? His play has definitely improved, yet is he worth the cash he is destined to earn next year?

Depends on the new DC if we get one, if we get a new DC who wants to get Clay out wide a lot I'd expect him to play up to his contract. But if the scheme is going to call for him to stick at a 5 or 6 all game long and just bull rush most of the snaps well then he aint worth it.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: Jamaal Williams (again)
Clay Matthews
Davante Adams
Trevor Davis's timely punt return.
1st quarter fake punt. Bold.
Hundley the runner.
And.....Believe it or not.....Damarious Randall. GB moved him over to cover Josh Gordon after Gordon's touchdown. Gordon had one catch for the rest of the game.

Duds: Needing OT to beat the winless Browns.
First half offense (after initial drive).
Making DeShon Kizer look like Tom Brady at times.

H

HardRightEdge

When they have to open up at the end of the game with intermediate passing, he does great. Most of the game MM is calling short passes and the defense just cheats up. Open it up the whole game and I think we see better results.

I don't know what to tell you though. Hundley looks bad at times but others he looks very impressive.
Hundley looks best on the scripted opening drives and in hurry up against fixed defensive personnel. The sideline reporter said Hundley would be operating under a reduced playbook. It adds up to having to make fewer adjustments.

The guy is in apprenticeship. The balancing act between "don't do stupid stuff" (like Kizer's Jones INT) while still making plays is a learning process in this "master class" in progress. I don't know why fans would expect anything but some struggles from a guy who heretofore had played zero NFL money games.

Is this a Pro Bowl QB in the making? That's not the point, is it?

In this case, it was a 14 point 4th. quarter comeback and an OT win against a pretty fair defense. I don't know how anybody could complain about that.

2 TDs, 7 INTs in the first 5 outings, 6 TDS, 1 INT in his last 3. That says a lot about progress.

The guy is 3-5 and came close against PIT where the D could not stop Brown, twice, with 0:17 on the clock. That should be better than anybody would have expected.

If one were to isolate on something in this game, it's seeing a 53% QB complete 71% (his best so far) against Capers, seeing a 61.2 rating QB go 99.4 (his best so far) against Capers, and seeing a QB who threw 6 TDs in 11 games throw 3 TDs (his best so far) against Capers.

As to your point about the play calling, it was pretty interesting seeing what looked like Rodgers "overriding" McCarthy's call on the tying score, with a "throw it there on this trajectory" hand signal to the field. Maybe he saw on tape a tendency by McCourty to defend inside near the goal line. Further, though we didn't see it, Spielman commented that Rodgers was rallying the O-Line on the sidelines in the 4th. quarter. One might surmise the message was along the lines of, "you can't quit on your guy, step it up." Rodgers might make an excellent QB coach or OC when the time comes if he doesn't have other ventures in mind and could stand the pay cut. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wondering if even tho they are winning, Mark and Mike know its time for a defense change?

Why do people go so nuts during the season when they know nothing will happen?

Wait till end of season---maybe a big surprise
Yeah, and I seriously doubt there will be any big changes then.

Packers do not seem like a team that feels the urgency to make changes as much as the fans want them to.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Any and all Packers fans who traveled more than 100 miles to cheer them on and who spent that money which gave the Cleveland economy a much needed boost.
Thanx to you, you saved them from filing Chapter 11 yet again.
Duds:
Browns fans because look at the losing team you are cheering on!
And also just for living in Cleveland.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, and I seriously doubt there will be any big changes then.

Packers do not seem like a team that feels the urgency to make changes as much as the fans want them to.

There isnt a fan base in the league that wouldnt run a team into the ground. Now in the past MM stubbornly sticking to his guns has paid dividends, see Mason Crosby or Ryan Grant in the 07 playoffs against Seattle despite two fumbles in the opening series or hell see his insistence on sticking with Rodgers as opposed to bringing Favre back. Imagine having a carousel of quarterbacks as opposed to Aaron Rodgers for the last 6-8 years after Favre finally called it quits for good. That being said there's a difference between letting things develop, being patient, and indulging long term systemic failure.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A special Stud for coach Rodgers, good play calling
It was so cool seeing him do that and it just cements it even further of what a much nicer and better teammate he is to his back up than his predecessor who basically just blew him off.
Aaron is a team player and not just out there for himself.

Reaction score
Yeah. I’d like to add AAron for helping coach Hundley through the end, that was actually a confidence boost and Aaron was offering him what he was thinking would give him the best chance. I think he also motioned to spike it to stop the clock if needed. Those little things go a long way.
Im gonna retract my saying Hundley was a Stud upon reviewing some of the game.
He did play adequate, he made some key mistakes including turning the ball over on 4th and two feet that cost a minimum of 3 points. (Not sure why you wouldn’t just QB sneak it there inside 1 yard) That showed he’s obviously not as refined as he should be. He had some accuracy issues on the long ball and slightly behind receivers in the intermediate, probably more than the average starter would in missing the mark.
I do think he’s continuing to improve but he also still needs to put it all together rather than playing fragmented. I also don’t think guys like Colin K, Callahan or Taysom would’nt have been anything but marginally better at most over those last 7 starts.

Last edited:

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: the refs sure helped the Packers win this game.

Dud: Capers. Guys look lost out there. They even had to use a time out cause you could clearly see they were confused. It could be 3rd and short and he plays some stupid soft zone. I am sorry ready for this idiot to just leave. He's such a cancer to this team.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs: the refs sure helped the Packers win this game.

Dud: Capers. Guys look lost out there. They even had to use a time out cause you could clearly see they were confused. It could be 3rd and short and he plays some stupid soft zone. I am sorry ready for this idiot to just leave. He's such a cancer to this team.

Capers will be gone, about a year or two after Rodgers retires.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:
Williams
Davante
Blake Martinez
Josh Jones

Duds:
CBs
Aaron Jones
The packers entire roster between the first TD and fourth quarter

Seems to me that this is becoming a 4th quarter team. Not good for the nerves but works in the end.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe so, but why a deep low percentage pass when you only need one yard ? Besides...probably a 75% chance Hundley gets sacked every time he drops back to pass.
More like 2-4% There was 1 sack with 46 attempts and a few scrambles. IIRC the sack was early in the game when the unblocked blitzer did not bite on the fake.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Hundley looks best on the scripted opening drives and in hurry up against fixed defensive personnel. The sideline reporter said Hundley would be operating under a reduced playbook. It adds up to having to make fewer adjustments.

The guy is in apprenticeship. The balancing act between "don't do stupid stuff" (like Kizer's Jones INT) while still making plays is a learning process in this "master class" in progress. I don't know why fans would expect anything but some struggles from a guy who heretofore had played zero NFL money games.

Is this a Pro Bowl QB in the making? That's not the point, is it?

In this case, it was a 14 point 4th. quarter comeback and an OT win against a pretty fair defense. I don't know how anybody could complain about that.

2 TDs, 7 INTs in the first 5 outings, 6 TDS, 1 INT in his last 3. That says a lot about progress.

The guy is 3-5 and came close against PIT where the D could not stop Brown, twice, with 0:17 on the clock. That should be better than anybody would have expected.

If one were to isolate on something in this game, it's seeing a 53% QB complete 71% (his best so far) against Capers, seeing a 61.2 rating QB go 99.4 (his best so far) against Capers, and seeing a QB who threw 6 TDs in 11 games throw 3 TDs (his best so far) against Capers.

As to your point about the play calling, it was pretty interesting seeing what looked like Rodgers "overriding" McCarthy's call on the tying score, with a "throw it there on this trajectory" hand signal to the field. Maybe he saw on tape a tendency by McCourty to defend inside near the goal line. Further, though we didn't see it, Spielman commented that Rodgers was rallying the O-Line on the sidelines in the 4th. quarter. One might surmise the message was along the lines of, "you can't quit on your guy, step it up." Rodgers might make an excellent QB coach or OC when the time comes if he doesn't have other ventures in mind and could stand the pay cut. ;)
Excellent points, HRE. The inconsistency of this team’s pass rush is extremely annoying. Once again, imo it falls into Capers lap. I just don’t think he’s getting the best production from what I think is decent overall defensive talent.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of Cleveland, that's where this funny yet underrated movie takes place.
Check it out if you haven't already seen it yet.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that Dud should go to someone else because that play call was perfect and it was set up to easily get the 1st down, and there was a good chance it was a TD if they maintain that seal. I think there was 1 guy to beat maybe to the endzone. But someone fudged up.

We were down by 7. We needed 2 scores to get the lead at that point. It makes no sense to leave 3 points on the field when you're going to need them at some point anyway. If he would have kicked it, there wouldn't have been OT. He gambled and lost and it easily could have cost us the game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were down by 7. We needed 2 scores to get the lead at that point. It makes no sense to leave 3 points on the field when you're going to need them at some point anyway. If he would have kicked it, there wouldn't have been OT. He gambled and lost and it easily could have cost us the game.
Every play is a gamble. Run, pass, right left, will they play man, zone, combination? My guess is if they executed the play and scored a TD, there wouldn't have been OT either. We had already gone for it in 4th down twice. I think it was apparent they weren't settling for 3. The play call was fine and it was performed almost flawlessly, except for one guy. MM is too conservative, until he's not :)

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every play is a gamble. Run, pass, right left, will they play man, zone, combination? My guess is if they executed the play and scored a TD, there wouldn't have been OT either. We had already gone for it in 4th down twice. I think it was apparent they weren't settling for 3. The play call was fine and it was performed almost flawlessly, except for one guy. MM is too conservative, until he's not :)

Not every play ****** away 3 points. Those were three points we needed. And while it's abundantly obvious with a TD there would not have been OT, we also would have avoided it with the automatic 3. It makes no sense to leave those points on the field in a low-scoring road game. If we would have lost this game in OT, you would have been able to look directly at that decision as to the primary reason why.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

According to the postgame, it was Hundley.

Perfect call that is easily a 1st down if he pitches the ball.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe so, but why a deep low percentage pass when you only need one yard ?

They certainly didn't need to go deep to Adams vs. Pittsburgh and it was a TD. Wasn't third and 1, but the pass was still way more than needed.

Have to take shots sometimes.

The Packers for years have hit big pass plays on third and short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts