Studs and duds vs Vikings

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
A a team aspect it was the 1st game of no pre season
And the overall execution looked good. Not sloppy, full of penalties, obvious blown assignments. Pretty clean game. Except for the dang timeouts.

D

Deleted member 6794

No Golladay.

A lot of AP.

In week 1 Stafford dropped back to throw 47 times while the Lions only designed 25 plays to run the ball. That was without Golladay as well.

There's no reason to expect them to feature a run heavy offense today either.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In week 1 Stafford dropped back to throw 47 times while the Lions only designed 25 plays to run the ball. That was without Golladay as well.

But they will...if it is working.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It's hard to run against the Bears front seven.

It's easier against Green Bay, especially in the absence of Kenny Clark.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's hard to run against the Bears front seven.

It's easier against Green Bay, especially in the absence of Kenny Clark.

Yet the Lions dropped backed to throw 38 times against the Packers while having only 20 designed run plays.

In addition they averaged less yards per carry against the Packers (4.45) than vs. the Bears (4.76).

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yet the Lions dropped backed to throw 38 times against the Packers while having only 20 designed run plays.

In addition they averaged less yards per carry against the Packers (4.45) than vs. the Bears (4.76).

If I have my numbers right, they were an even 17 and 17 in terms of rush and pass attempts until GB took a lead. The game script changed for them in a hurry and they were forced into the passing game.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I have my numbers right, they were an even 17 and 17 in terms of rush and pass attempts until GB took a lead. The game script changed for them in a hurry and they were forced into the passing game.
I think this defense under Pettine is built a lot like what they wanted under capers and part off that is because off the offense we should be capable of on a week to week basis. They aren't built to just grind it out. They have a certain skill set that if forced to grind it out all game will make some plays but will wear down. But if the offense is doing it's thing they're set up to be the playmakers on defense they are.

I also think under Pettine they generally play things fairly close to the vest early on as they feel things out. They need to start stronger for sure, and I think they can, but they're pretty consistent going back to last year in that middle stretch of making some big plays that help put our offense in a good position. Not always, but then nobody is always anything.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Lions dropped back to pass the ball 20 times in the first half while having a total of 15 designed runs.

That doesn't change the fact that their offense continues to be centered around throwing the ball.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Lions dropped back to pass the ball 20 times in the first half while having a total of 15 designed runs.

That doesn't change the fact that their offense continues to be centered around throwing the ball.

I went back and double checked.

It was 18-16 in favor of pass attempts in neutral game script.

So they were balanced until they fell behind and then they went very pass heavy.

The Green Bay offense made them go away from the running game, not the defense.

D

Deleted member 6794

I went back and double checked.

It was 18-16 in favor of pass attempts in neutral game script.

You need to consider Z's sack as well as Stafford's scramble (instead of a designed run) as pass plays when double checking those numbers though.

Therefore, as I mentioned above, the Lions ran 20 pass and 15 run plays in the first half on Sunday.

So they were balanced until they fell behind and then they went very pass heavy.

The Green Bay offense made them go away from the running game, not the defense.

The Lions had enough time left on the clock for parts of the second half to run the ball as well but they gave up on it as their offense is centered around throwing the ball.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You need to consider Z's sack as well as Stafford's scramble (instead of a designed run) as pass plays when double checking those numbers though.

Therefore, as I mentioned above, the Lions ran 20 pass and 15 run plays in the first half on Sunday.

The Lions had enough time left on the clock for parts of the second half to run the ball as well but they gave up on it as their offense is centered around throwing the ball.

I did. Like I said, it was 18-16 in favor of the pass until Green Bay took the lead.

If you prefer to look at the first half as a whole, that's fine. But looking at what they did in neutral/positive game script is a lot less arbitrary.

The only thing I'm excluding from the first half is the last drive in which they had 14 seconds left. By the time they saw the ball in the 2nd half, they were down 10 points to a team that had scored 21 unanswered. By the time they saw the ball a 2nd time in the 2nd half, they were down 17 points to a team that had scored 28 points unanswered. Etc.

D

Deleted member 6794

I did. Like I said, it was 18-16 in favor of the pass until Green Bay took the lead.

If you prefer to look at the first half as a whole, that's fine. But looking at what they did in neutral/positive game script is a lot less arbitrary.

The only thing I'm excluding from the first half is the last drive in which they had 14 seconds left. By the time they saw the ball in the 2nd half, they were down 10 points to a team that had scored 21 unanswered. By the time they saw the ball a 2nd time in the 2nd half, they were down 17 points to a team that had scored 28 points unanswered. Etc.

Once again, Stafford's run in the first half was a designed pass play but he scrambled because he wasn't able to find an open receiver. Therefore the Lions actually dropped back to throw 19 times while having only 15 designed run plays before the Packers took the lead.

It's interesting to note that the Packers, who trailed for most of the first half, were way more balanced than the Lions in the second.

I guess that's because their offense isn't centered around throwing the ball as much anymore.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Totally agree. The Lions offense is still clearly centered around Matt Stafford, not Adrian Peterson. No changes there.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Once again, Stafford's run in the first half was a designed pass play but he scrambled because he wasn't able to find an open receiver. Therefore the Lions actually dropped back to throw 19 times while having only 15 designed run plays before the Packers took the lead.

It's interesting to note that the Packers, who trailed for most of the first half, were way more balanced than the Lions in the second.

I guess that's because their offense isn't centered around throwing the ball as much anymore.

Ok, I can't say this slowly because I'm typing, but I'd encourage you to read it slowly and let it sink it so I don't have to keep repeating myself:

I did take those things into account. Up until the Packers took a lead, the Lions had 18 pass attempts and 16 rush attempts.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
?? Certainly seems to matter if the question is centered around whether or not Detroit is still basing their offense around a successful passing attack rather than the run.
This was more me pointing out these 2 guys are trying to be right and it’s one number.

they need to move on from it

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'll simply say this and leave it alone.

The Lions are going to be pass happy as long as their defense can't keep them in games. And all but one or two teams every year are going to throw the ball more than they run the ball.

But you don't hire Matt Patricia and Darrell Bevell because you're trying to be among the league leaders in passing %. And you don't spend two 2nd round picks on running backs in three years because you're trying to be among the league leaders in passing %. And you don't sign Adrian Peterson off the street because you're trying to be among the league leaders in passing %.

They were balanced last week until they fell behind. Their moves have signaled that that's who they want to be. But it isn't who they're going to be most of the time because the opponent is going to be running the score up on them with regularity.

D

Deleted member 6794

Ok, I can't say this slowly because I'm typing, but I'd encourage you to read it slowly and let it sink it so I don't have to keep repeating myself:

I did take those things into account. Up until the Packers took a lead, the Lions had 18 pass attempts and 16 rush attempts.

It's mind-boggling that someone who feels entitled to question other posters intelligence doesn't understand the basic difference between a called pass play that results in a scramble (rushing attempt) and a designed run play.

I'll simply say this and leave it alone.

The Lions are going to be pass happy as long as their defense can't keep them in games. And all but one or two teams every year are going to throw the ball more than they run the ball.

But you don't hire Matt Patricia and Darrell Bevell because you're trying to be among the league leaders in passing %. And you don't spend two 2nd round picks on running backs in three years because you're trying to be among the league leaders in passing %. And you don't sign Adrian Peterson off the street because you're trying to be among the league leaders in passing %.

They were balanced last week until they fell behind. Their moves have signaled that that's who they want to be. But it isn't who they're going to be most of the time because the opponent is going to be running the score up on them with regularity.

And yet the Lions dropped back to pass the ball 36 times while calling only 25 run plays in week 1 against the Bears with the score either tied or them leading by as much as 17 points.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It's mind-boggling that someone who feels entitled to question other posters intelligence doesn't understand the basic difference between a called pass play that results in a scramble (rushing attempt) and a designed run play.

And yet the Lions dropped back to pass the ball 36 times while calling only 25 run plays in week 1 against the Bears with the score either tied or them leading by as much as 17 points.

What part didnt you understand when I said move on?

Lets see how long it takes you to figure it out

Maybe 1 week ban would let you understand

You both let this ego trip spill into other areas and its not happening any longer

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought this was funny after their loss today against Buffalo.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I thought this was funny after their loss today against Buffalo.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

It was against the Titans, but tomato...tomatoe. ;)

I loved this, especially given its from a Viking Media source. :D

https://www.skornorth.com/2020/09/t...n-the-going-got-tough-the-qb-didnt-get-going/

Cousins is turning into to Vikings version of the Bears Jay Cutler. A whole lot of hope that he can lead them to a Super Bowl and nothing but consistently coming up short.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts