Studs and duds vs Vikings

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am I the only one that's not really too concerned about this game? Like seriously I really don't understand why people are so high on The Vikings after all they've lost. They don't have a the better receiving corp, I say we edge them out in overall running backs, quarterback is a given, Oline I think we are better hands down, as well as our secondary. Sure their defensive front is tough, but again I don't see why that should make them the favorites to win the game. And tbh I expect a blowout victory this week. Rodgers begins to remind everyone why he's still the bad man.
I called it

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly you guys I really don't know. Just call it a blunder on my part. I won't get rid of it as I deserved to be clowned for it.
I thought you were making a joke, because we used to try some similar looking plays with RR who was not fast enough nor quick enough to hit the opening as he stretched the line and it never worked LOL

Ervin pressed the edge and made the corner or cut on a dime to hit the opening for a great run. That's how it's supposed to look

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS showed resolve in making some more plays, I know it was week one, so we'll see. But that TD was great, big play, huge moment. Really swung some momentum to get into the half. Tough catch too. Then comes back with back to back drops. one that killed a drive and it was easy, they don't get easier. Then Rodgers drops a beautiful pass, what was it 40+yds? and he misses that. But he did come back and make a couple more, so that's good. It didn't defeat him for the entire game, but those 2 drops were pretty big drops. he has to catch those 95 times out of 100. I know guys drop those sometimes. I've seen the best do it, but he has a lot to prove before I give him any "passes" on those.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was Gary disruptive? I didn’t notice him out there really, I’ll have to re-watch the game.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought you were making a joke, because we used to try some similar looking plays with RR who was not fast enough nor quick enough to hit the opening as he stretched the line and it never worked LOL

Ervin pressed the edge and made the corner or cut on a dime to hit the opening for a great run. That's how it's supposed to look
Sure! Let's go with that! XD

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs
Rodgers
Adams
Offensive line - injury issues but still dominated. 5 ypc and no sacks.
Defense until the 4th. The 4th quarter defense was rough but they had 6 series where they gave up 3 points but scored 2 on a safety. Hard for me to complain too much about that. viking never had the ball with a chance to tie ater the Rodgers to mvs td.

Duds
Red Zone offense in the 1st quarter
Defense in 4th quarter

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs
Rodgers
Adams
Offensive line - injury issues but still dominated. 5 ypc and no sacks.
Defense until the 4th. The 4th quarter defense was rough but they had 6 series where they gave up 3 points but scored 2 on a safety. Hard for me to complain too much about that. viking never had the ball with a chance to tie ater the Rodgers to mvs td.

Duds
Red Zone offense in the 1st quarter
Defense in 4th quarter
By the 4th I say those were garbage points for the most part.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By the 4th I say those were garbage points for the most part.

Completely agree but they came too quick. Giving up the td isn't the problem. Letting it happen that quickly is. Make them complete short stuff over the middle

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Completely agree but they came too quick. Giving up the td isn't the problem. Letting it happen that quickly is. Make them complete short stuff over the middle
I mentioned it in the shoutbox, but you kind of hit it on the head. This defense "can" be good. They always seem to start slow, like they're playing pretty straight up and feel out the offense then clamp it down and they only gave up 10 pts really thru 3 quarters and gave us 2 pts and a possession on top of it. They weren't garbage. then the 4th came and they were giving up TD's way too quickly and easily. Make them at least work for it. It was a double digit lead for all of it, but still. a turnover or something and with the ease they were scoring that lead could have disappeared before you even knew what happened.

It shouldn't be that way. The Vikings weren't in this game really, yet they were.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

The offense as a whole. Moving the chains on long sustainable drives. No turnovers and only forced to punt once!

Duds:

prevent D. I get why it’s used but we’ve had many heartbreaks throughout the years so no lead is ever big enough as far I’m concerned.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs:

The offense as a whole. Moving the chains on long sustainable drives. No turnovers and only forced to punt once!

Duds:

prevent D. I get why it’s used but we’ve had many heartbreaks throughout the years so no lead is ever big enough as far I’m concerned.

I would say prevent d is meant to keep ya in front of you and that would have been more than enough when the Packers went up 19. The problem was the Packers didn't do that. I wasn't really a prevent. It was just terrible defense

H

HardRightEdge

I'll skip over some of the obvious.

Studs:

OL - Maybe that is kind of obvious. With the line already shuffled they went with Shuffle Plan C with Patrick going down, then Plan D with Runyan. The run blocking was a little sketchty but they kept the QB very clean all day. That the Vikes evident emphasis was stopping Jones certainly helped. They were penalty free which is impressive, but that could be holding friendly refs. The Vikes line had only one penalty, a false start.

Gary - He had a couple of nice plays under the radar. In the first half he made the nice second effort on the Cousins scramble holding him to a 2 yard gain. Also a Cousin knockdown in the first half. In the second half he had a hand in Cousins' face on the Alexander pick. I'm not so sure he didn't tip the ball, but at the least redirected the throw. He he shared a Cousins knockdown with P. Smith; the ESPN box score gave Gary the credit for being there first.

Barnes - Nice job for a guy added to the last spot on 53 man roster just a day ago (not a temp PS elevation as the announcer said). I notices Burks in on special teams early in the game. So this was not about Burks lingering injury--he got bumped.

Lazard - Picking up where he left off last season: Mr. First Down. 4 catches, 2 first downs + TD and a first down run. Almost another, 9 yds. on 1st. and 10.

MVS - Despite the drops, that was some clean route running. Rodgers came right back to him with that laser deep ball that was not an easy catch. Confidence and chemistry look way, way improved.

Dillon - He showed something on that second run, a quick redirect to the hole. Kinda Henry-like. We'll know better after 50 - 100 carries.

Williams - Big time blitz pick-up. Nice short yardage 1st. down pickups.

Duds:

That Z. stand-up DT business, run defense on the way to the QB, is not working. It got burned on the ground against SF and got beat a couple of times today. Something's got to be done about that. Gary was in for at least one snap as a 3-point 3-tech. Maybe there's something to be found there. If Clark is out for any period of time I think they'll have to go the street. Snackers may get their wish.

Despite being roundly outplayed, the Vikes were still in this game at 36-26 with 7:55 left on the clock.

Stud:

The 8 play TD drive that followed the Vikes closing to 36-26 was the most studly thing of all. Jones opening and closing the drive, with the 1st. and 20 long gainer to Adams pretty much icing it.

Mixed:

Kirksey - He looks more play aware than Martinez, but was late to hole on a couple of occasions with runners breaking arm tackles. Playing with the rook when not playing with Redmond getting snaps in the hybrid role might have slowed his roll. Good start, I believe.

Dequara - He threw that great block taking out two guys and generally looked like he know what he was doing. Running side-saddle on the Rodgers overthrow was not a good look. There might be a Rodgers "keep running!" in the meeting room.

Red Zone Offense - A highlight of last season, started 0-3 this year. The Adams drop was not a good look. Finished 3-3. Better finishing strong against a gassed defense than the other way around.

Dud:

This is not the Vikings defense we've been accustomed to. As sharp as the passing offense looked they are yet to be tested.

H

HardRightEdge

He averaged 3 yards per carry on the ground. Had some decent receptions, but if your getting the rock 7 times on the ground, you need to have more than 21 yards.
Among those 7 runs:

2nd. and 1 - first down
2nd. and 3 - first down
3rd. and 1 - first down
1st and goal at the 2 yard line - 1 yard gain

3 out of 4 on short yardage is pretty good against a defense with the evident priority of stopping the run. And those runs will keep the rushing average down considering Job #1 on those plays.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That Z. stand-up DT business, run defense on the way to the QB, is not working. It got burned on the ground against SF and got beat a couple of times today. Something's got to be done about that. Gary was in for at least one snap as a 3-point 3-tech. Maybe there's something to be found there. If Clark is out for any period of time I think they'll have to go the street. Snackers may get their wish.

I haven't been one demanding we go after snacks during the offseason but if Kenny missis much time I think we should sign him, and even if Clark doesn't miss any games I think we should at least think about it because once Clark went out so did our run defense.

H

HardRightEdge

I haven't been one demanding we go after snacks during the offseason but if Kenny missis much time I think we should sign him, and even if Clark doesn't miss any games I think we should at least think about it because once Clark went out so did our run defense.
The run D wasn't all great when Clark was in there, but it can only get worse without him.

I'm pretty sure the Packers played base D on every snap in the Vikings opening drive with Keke and Barnes. 4 runs between the tackles for 26 yards followed by the 1 yard TD run.

H

HardRightEdge

I forgot a dud: Red Zone D was 0-3. 2 point conversions 0-3. At least the last TD/EP was legitimately a garbage time score.

O and D combined were 3-9 in the Red Zone, 3-12 if you count the EPs. At least the offense finished strong in this department.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say prevent d is meant to keep ya in front of you and that would have been more than enough when the Packers went up 19. The problem was the Packers didn't do that. I wasn't really a prevent. It was just terrible defense

I’ll have to re-watch because I’m not positive but I’m pretty sure our DB’s were giving their receivers a pretty good cushion the whole 4th quarter and I know for sure that we only rushed 3 on a few of those plays.

H

HardRightEdge

By the way, I think I saw Galeai in for a couple snaps on defense. Didn't see Burks. Maybe I missed him. I'll be interested to see the snap counts. Also Gary's snap count--better than his 20% last year. 4 pretty decent plays on his part in that mix.

H

HardRightEdge

I’ll have to re-watch because I’m not positive but I’m pretty sure our DB’s were giving their receivers a pretty good cushion the whole 4th quarter and I know for sure that we only rushed 3 on a few of those plays.
Then don't let Thielen beat you over the top, Johnson catching a 20 yarder down to the 3, and then in the short field Cook walking into the end zone, another 2 pt. EP, and the Vikings are back in the game. All in all, the defense to took a step back today.

H

HardRightEdge

No comments about Jenkins starting at RT? I don't know if we'll see more of that if everbody comes back healthy (not promising at least in Taylor's case from the looks of it), but that could be his future. Or LT next season. :whistling:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh btw, One More Stud or group of studs

Arizona Cardinals kicking down the 49ers door

Shocked that nobody has mentioned this upset yet

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts